Crossfit Discussion

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Senior Member
    Leggo my Ego's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  212 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,487
    Rep Power
    849
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    67.46%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Crossfit Discussion


    So I came across this style of training called Crossfit which is very intriging to me. I think I am going to change up my routine in the next week or so to follow Crossfit. Basically it is super badass timed circuit training. I would like to learn more about it from anyone who is a current crossfitter, so please chime in if you are well versed on this topic... I would like this to be the "Official Crossfit" thread wher we can discuss different workouts and excercises and share results.

    Here are some ideas for my upcoming workouts:

    *Deadlift 5x5x5x5x5 with 10 burpees between sets (without rest)
    *Squat & Press alternated with pullups 15x10x8 each (without rest)
    *Overhead Squat alternated with Dips 15x10x8 each (without rest)
    *Stand under pullup bar and jump up and do a pullup and drop down and do a push up then jump back up and do a pull up.... and keep doing that till you puke (lol)
    *Powercleans alternated with deathwalks

    I need some more ideas. Also, does the crossfit protocol call for cardio?? post w/o?? fasted??

  2. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,059
    Rep Power
    2742111
    Level
    81
    Lv. Percent
    26.61%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    ask copycat he seems knowledgeablein that area.. I was looking into it to for functional strength.. have you been to crossfit.com? it has tons of info along with forums to ask questions, members workout logs, and video clips showing how to do certain workouts.. also they do a workout of the day everyday and you just do them daily
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  3. Senior Member
    Leggo my Ego's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  212 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,487
    Rep Power
    849
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    67.46%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    ask copycat he seems knowledgeablein that area.. I was looking into it to for functional strength.. have you been to crossfit.com? it has tons of info along with forums to ask questions, members workout logs, and video clips showing how to do certain workouts.. also they do a workout of the day everyday and you just do them daily
    Ah, Thank you. I'll have to do some snooping there!

    -Leggo
    •   
       

  4. Elite Member
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,254
    Rep Power
    719849
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    46.78%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Leggo, I'll hit you up later this evening when I have more time. Glad to hear your interested.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  5. Senior Member
    Leggo my Ego's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  212 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,487
    Rep Power
    849
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    67.46%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Thanks CopyCat.
    Those vids you sent me are ****ING awesome!
  6. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,059
    Rep Power
    2742111
    Level
    81
    Lv. Percent
    26.61%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I just ordered a kettle bell and got me some resistance bands for home training.. I really like these chain workouts I have been seeing as well.. I might invest in a set too...

    Hey can I get a copy of some vids?
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  7. Senior Member
    Leggo my Ego's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  212 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,487
    Rep Power
    849
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    67.46%
    Achievements Posting Pro
  8. Senior Member
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    740
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    26.42%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Leggo my Ego View Post
    So I came across this style of training called Crossfit which is very intriging to me. I think I am going to change up my routine in the next week or so to follow Crossfit. Basically it is super badass timed circuit training. I would like to learn more about it from anyone who is a current crossfitter, so please chime in if you are well versed on this topic... I would like this to be the "Official Crossfit" thread wher we can discuss different workouts and excercises and share results.

    Here are some ideas for my upcoming workouts:

    *Deadlift 5x5x5x5x5 with 10 burpees between sets (without rest)
    *Squat & Press alternated with pullups 15x10x8 each (without rest)
    *Overhead Squat alternated with Dips 15x10x8 each (without rest)
    *Stand under pullup bar and jump up and do a pullup and drop down and do a push up then jump back up and do a pull up.... and keep doing that till you puke (lol)
    *Powercleans alternated with deathwalks

    I need some more ideas. Also, does the crossfit protocol call for cardio?? post w/o?? fasted??
    Awesome. Always great to see someone interested in "tasting the Kool-Aid". I'd like to address your question on "cardio" right away - there is no such thing as "cardio" in Crossfit. The WOD's (Workouts of the Day) you have drawn up there, which look pretty good I may say, are aerobic in nature. The formal term Crossfit uses is "metabolic conditioning." You move through these workouts just as you would in a 100m sprint - its all about intensity. Try that first one you listed, 5 rounds of 5 deadlifts/10 burpees and you will absolutely experience the conditioning aspect of the workout. That is of course if you train the way its supposed to be done - full intensity.. as fast as you possibly can.

    But, might have you been implying something else? Cardio is often a term used to blanket over endurance activities, or rather sport specific skills.. ie running, swimming, biking. If you are interested in boosting your performance in any of those skills, CrossFitEndurance.com is your place to be. Crossfit workouts strive to hit every angle of exercise and fitness as possible, and in doing that, running just can't come up as often as some may like it to be. CrossFit Endurance helps to combine training in a sport specific area with the Crossfit.com main workouts.

    That's getting a bit ahead of ourselves however, since you just starting. That was just FYI. As to finding more ideas on CrossFit workouts... the mainsite (Crossfit.com) is an excellent template to follow, and many affiliates that you can find off that page create their own WOD's as well. Skim through the sites and see what gyms are doing what, and you'll have countless workouts to consider. Making up workouts is good to go, but programming is truely a skill that takes time and experience to master. Crossfit.com and affiliates know what they are doing, and will give you a great start.

    Speaking of affiliates, hit that Affiliate tab on the Crossfit.com page and see if there are any gyms in your area. That would be the most advisable approach, as you would have a certified trainer by your side to introduce you to Crossfit and get you well on your way. The intensity you will feel at an official gym is unlike any other as well - you will train harder, longer, and you will love every minute of it. Camaraderie is big in the gyms, as you all go through the same painstorm together. Incredibly fun.

    My personal experience with CrossFit has been nothing but success, and I'll never go back to the way I was training. Both CopyCat and I train for military duty, and we have both experienced how effective this program is for developing you as a whole, preparing you for anything. It's specialization is NOT specializing in anything, developing the trainee in all 10 domains of fitness.

    Not only is it incredibly effective, but its the most fun I've ever had in my entire life. Highly competative, and progression is continuous with the due effort.

    Here's something I want you to do, just for fun. It will be a representation of the dramatic progress you can make in Crossfit. Whatever first workout you do, record your time. Say for example its the deadlift/burpee workout. If you end up training Crossfit for two months, go back and attempt that very same workout, same reps and same weight. You will blow that number out of the water. But, with that said.. a side note - record everything, as its hard data to track progression. Just a good habit. You'll come to see the "benchmark" WOD's, but I won't go into that right now.

    And as was mentioned before, check out the Crossfit.com message boards. Plenty of information on starting up there, and any question we could answer has likely already been covered there(not that I'd ever turn down a conversation about CrossFit!).
  9. Elite Member
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,254
    Rep Power
    719849
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    46.78%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    I just ordered a kettle bell and got me some resistance bands for home training.. I really like these chain workouts I have been seeing as well.. I might invest in a set too...

    Hey can I get a copy of some vids?
    Here you go. You may have seen them before in a thread of yours.

    http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...railer1208.wmv

    http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...Highlights.wmv
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  10. Registered User
    swole210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,088
    Rep Power
    662
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    10.26%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    Awesome. Always great to see someone interested in "tasting the Kool-Aid". I'd like to address your question on "cardio" right away - there is no such thing as "cardio" in Crossfit. The WOD's (Workouts of the Day) you have drawn up there, which look pretty good I may say, are aerobic in nature. The formal term Crossfit uses is "metabolic conditioning." You move through these workouts just as you would in a 100m sprint - its all about intensity. Try that first one you listed, 5 rounds of 5 deadlifts/10 burpees and you will absolutely experience the conditioning aspect of the workout. That is of course if you train the way its supposed to be done - full intensity.. as fast as you possibly can.

    But, might have you been implying something else? Cardio is often a term used to blanket over endurance activities, or rather sport specific skills.. ie running, swimming, biking. If you are interested in boosting your performance in any of those skills, CrossFitEndurance.com is your place to be. Crossfit workouts strive to hit every angle of exercise and fitness as possible, and in doing that, running just can't come up as often as some may like it to be. CrossFit Endurance helps to combine training in a sport specific area with the Crossfit.com main workouts.

    That's getting a bit ahead of ourselves however, since you just starting. That was just FYI. As to finding more ideas on CrossFit workouts... the mainsite (Crossfit.com) is an excellent template to follow, and many affiliates that you can find off that page create their own WOD's as well. Skim through the sites and see what gyms are doing what, and you'll have countless workouts to consider. Making up workouts is good to go, but programming is truely a skill that takes time and experience to master. Crossfit.com and affiliates know what they are doing, and will give you a great start.

    Speaking of affiliates, hit that Affiliate tab on the Crossfit.com page and see if there are any gyms in your area. That would be the most advisable approach, as you would have a certified trainer by your side to introduce you to Crossfit and get you well on your way. The intensity you will feel at an official gym is unlike any other as well - you will train harder, longer, and you will love every minute of it. Camaraderie is big in the gyms, as you all go through the same painstorm together. Incredibly fun.

    My personal experience with CrossFit has been nothing but success, and I'll never go back to the way I was training. Both CopyCat and I train for military duty, and we have both experienced how effective this program is for developing you as a whole, preparing you for anything. It's specialization is NOT specializing in anything, developing the trainee in all 10 domains of fitness.

    Not only is it incredibly effective, but its the most fun I've ever had in my entire life. Highly competative, and progression is continuous with the due effort.

    Here's something I want you to do, just for fun. It will be a representation of the dramatic progress you can make in Crossfit. Whatever first workout you do, record your time. Say for example its the deadlift/burpee workout. If you end up training Crossfit for two months, go back and attempt that very same workout, same reps and same weight. You will blow that number out of the water. But, with that said.. a side note - record everything, as its hard data to track progression. Just a good habit. You'll come to see the "benchmark" WOD's, but I won't go into that right now.

    And as was mentioned before, check out the Crossfit.com message boards. Plenty of information on starting up there, and any question we could answer has likely already been covered there(not that I'd ever turn down a conversation about CrossFit!).
    I do not train with the Crossfit method (or any method right now) but I have looked into it due to one of my co-wrokers being an avid follower of this training method. Having served 5 years active duty in the Marines, I think this training system should be made a mandatory type of PT as it would definitely GREATLY enhance performance and "usable" stregnth in every aspect of military field duties, ESPECIALLY combat and rescue situations.
  11. Senior Member
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    740
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    26.42%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by swole210 View Post
    I do not train with the Crossfit method (or any method right now) but I have looked into it due to one of my co-wrokers being an avid follower of this training method. Having served 5 years active duty in the Marines, I think this training system should be made a mandatory type of PT as it would definitely GREATLY enhance performance and "usable" stregnth in every aspect of military field duties, ESPECIALLY combat and rescue situations.
    I whole-heartedly agree with that, and fortunately enough, it already has formally been utilized in military training schools. The Marine Corps has integrated Crossfit training into their PT program in many different shapes and forms, but it is still fairly early. CrossFit grows like wild-fire however, so who knows where we will be in just a year from now.

    Generously, the founder of Crossfit, Greg Glassman, donated the equipment from the first Crossfit gym to the USMC. Known as "Operation Pheonix", an effort to outfit Marines with CrossFit equipment, it developed into a fundraiser for us Crossfitters to follow Coach's footsteps. The fundraiser has been on for just a few months now, and has already raised over $125K, with every penny going to the outfitting of Marines with Crossfit equipment. Here's the site if you want to check it out - they have been fundraising with some pretty badass t-shirts, 3 of which I have bought. IMO, it's a great idea, and I hope the success continues.
    http://operationphoenix.myshopify.com/
  12. Elite Member
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,254
    Rep Power
    719849
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    46.78%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Highlands totaly said everything I would have. I have a good powerpoint I can send if anyone wants. Just pm me your email.

    Posted from an iPhone
  13. New Member
    t-bone2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    414
    Rep Power
    394
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    29.36%

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    It's specialization is NOT specializing in anything...
    meh.
  14. New Member
    Matt6969's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    403
    Rep Power
    284
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    83.49%

    crossfit is a pain in the ass but totally worth it. if you are wanting to get lean and have high endurance.
  15. New Member
    t-bone2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    414
    Rep Power
    394
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    29.36%

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt6969 View Post
    crossfit is a pain in the ass but totally worth it. if you are wanting to get lean and have high endurance.
    Yeah, but any high endurance activity is going to get you lean - marathon running, triathlon, etc.
  16. Senior Member
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    740
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    26.42%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by t-bone2 View Post
    Yeah, but any high endurance activity is going to get you lean - marathon running, triathlon, etc.
    CrossFit will develop your endurance, and through the strenous metabolic demands of the conditioning WOD's, you really can shed the unwanted fat. It's similiar to HIIT, but often with weights.

    But, the real benefit of CrossFit is the development of the athlete. All 10 domains of fitness are improved upon, continually. For myself, these functional skills are what keeps me locked into the program. The aesthics are present for some, but CrossFit prides itself on developing fitness, not looks.
  17. New Member
    t-bone2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    414
    Rep Power
    394
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    29.36%

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    CrossFit will develop your endurance, and through the strenous metabolic demands of the conditioning WOD's, you really can shed the unwanted fat. It's similiar to HIIT, but often with weights.

    But, the real benefit of CrossFit is the development of the athlete. All 10 domains of fitness are improved upon, continually. For myself, these functional skills are what keeps me locked into the program. The aesthics are present for some, but CrossFit prides itself on developing fitness, not looks.
    A protocol that espouses that "specialization is NOT specializing in anything" will lead to mediocrity in everything - in all 10 domains. How does crossfit develop "the athlete" better than a specialization program? It doesn't, and it can't. Almost any GGP protocol will do what you are talking about.
  18. Professional Member
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,005
    Rep Power
    2671
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    75.63%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by t-bone2 View Post
    A protocol that espouses that "specialization is NOT specializing in anything" will lead to mediocrity in everything - in all 10 domains. How does crossfit develop "the athlete" better than a specialization program? It doesn't, and it can't. Almost any GGP protocol will do what you are talking about.
    Trust me there is no point to arguing against Crossfitters. it doesn't really matter what your opinions towards the program are, Cross fitters are an intense cult of loyal followers. For the average person or someone looking to get in shape and lean up crossfit is a good program because it keeps the workouts simple, prevents burnout of the CNS pretty well, and keeps from getting mundane. For an athlete I don't really see it having as much carryover to most sports compared to a specialization program based around an athletes weaknesses. A couple of my training partners were actually thinking about opening a CF gym in our area because there isn't one and it could tap into a lot of potential non-athletes who are not dreaming of being bodybuilders. The certification to become a CF gym is ridiculously expensive for what knowledge you really need to create a WOD for your gym go'ers though.
    Moral of the story, to each his own.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  19. Senior Member
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    740
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    26.42%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by t-bone2 View Post
    A protocol that espouses that "specialization is NOT specializing in anything" will lead to mediocrity in everything - in all 10 domains. How does crossfit develop "the athlete" better than a specialization program? It doesn't, and it can't. Almost any GGP protocol will do what you are talking about.
    I have no idea where you are pulling that from. No one even came close to implying that in this thread. It's no secret that sport-specific training yields sport-specific results. CrossFit has never denied that. Like mentioned several times over, CrossFit produces fitness. If you are weak in a certain domain, you are not as physically fit as you could be. Sports and fitness are not the same thing bud. CrossFit came into existance to prepare for the *unknown*, which is why it does not specialize in anything. This is why its so valuable to the military. It can produce an individual signifigantly strong in all the traits of fitness. Personally speaking, I'd rather be prepared for anything rather then be hoping that "X" does not happen. And in turn, everyone can benefit from the building of all these traits.

    In short, go take a look at the Crossfit Games results. It just about summarizes up that the results are anything but "mediocre". One thing I've learned about CrossFit is that it is always open for new training. After all, that is its lifeblood - constantly varied exercise. If you know of a program that develops the ten domains of fitness more effeciently, by all means, share. Otherwise, I'd love to hear why your bashing a program that has brought so much success to thousands of people. You've offered nothing so far, so enlighten us if you have the superior fitness program.
  20. Senior Member
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    740
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    26.42%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    Trust me there is no point to arguing against Crossfitters. it doesn't really matter what your opinions towards the program are, Cross fitters are an intense cult of loyal followers. For the average person or someone looking to get in shape and lean up crossfit is a good program because it keeps the workouts simple, prevents burnout of the CNS pretty well, and keeps from getting mundane. For an athlete I don't really see it having as much carryover to most sports compared to a specialization program based around an athletes weaknesses. A couple of my training partners were actually thinking about opening a CF gym in our area because there isn't one and it could tap into a lot of potential non-athletes who are not dreaming of being bodybuilders. The certification to become a CF gym is ridiculously expensive for what knowledge you really need to create a WOD for your gym go'ers though.
    Moral of the story, to each his own.

    It is always kind of humorous how adamantly we defend CrossFit. And it's all because of the results it has proven to us - all I can ask of you is to give it a honest shot if you are interested in similiar goals.
    Once again, I do agree that Crossfit does not have the best carryover to sports. I think it might be proper to offer that Crossfit carries over rather to "life", the unexpected next activity. By preparing for anything, from strength to stamina to flexibility(etc,etc), the individual can tackle life's problems effeciently. It's the weakness that will give you problems, and it should always be addressed - "your as strong as your weakest link" (applied to fitness).
  21. Board Sponsor
    Grambo's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,900
    Rep Power
    1475609
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    66.77%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

    I am on a bodybuilding designed cutting program right now but what has really interested me is the "new" Caveman Training style that some in the UFC are starting to use and there are a few dreams in the US cropping up. It has some of the same principles as crossfit and looks amazing. HOWEVER I would not use just this or crossfit as I enjoy the large muscle and strength gains form traditional workouts, but combined they can be pretty nice.

    My personal opinion is Crossfit is a good fit for some but not for others (particularly specific sport athletes). It is neither the answer to everything nor the worst thing to happen to fitness. I think it should be tried before making an opinion on it.
    Head Purus Labs Rep
    www.Puruslabs.net
  22. Elite Member
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,254
    Rep Power
    719849
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    46.78%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    It is always kind of humorous how adamantly we defend CrossFit. And it's all because of the results it has proven to us - all I can ask of you is to give it a honest shot if you are interested in similiar goals.
    Once again, I do agree that Crossfit does not have the best carryover to sports. I think it might be proper to offer that Crossfit carries over rather to "life", the unexpected next activity. By preparing for anything, from strength to stamina to flexibility(etc,etc), the individual can tackle life's problems effeciently. It's the weakness that will give you problems, and it should always be addressed - "your as strong as your weakest link" (applied to fitness).
    I think that it comes mostly because there are so many out there that immediately discount Crossfit and brush it aside.

    If you are involved in a specific sport such as soccer than of course you need sport specific training. Crossfit isn't designed to replace that. It is however a solid basis. If soccer is your sport than bodybuilding is not for you. If bodybuilding is your sport than marathons are not for you. Things are subjective with that. I was told by a crossfit coach that you can take someone who is solid at crossfit and put them into any realm or sport and they can very quickly adapt and be good at it. However, you can not necessarily take someone from another realm or sport and them be good at what we do. It goes back to the 10 fitness traits.

    Example of what I mean, which puts into the question what is fitness and how is it different from sports.

    From Crossfit website.
    Outside Magazine crowned triathlete Mark Allen "the fittest man on earth." Let’s just assume for a moment that this famous six-time winner of the IronMan Triathlon is the fittest of the fit, then what title do we bestow on the decathlete Simon Poelman who also possesses incredible endurance and stamina, yet crushes Mr. Allen in any comparison that includes strength, power, speed, and coordination?
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  23. New Member
    t-bone2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    414
    Rep Power
    394
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    29.36%

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    I have no idea where you are pulling that from. No one even came close to implying that in this thread. It's no secret that sport-specific training yields sport-specific results. CrossFit has never denied that. Like mentioned several times over, CrossFit produces fitness.
    I pulled it from the post where you said, "the real benefit of Crossfit is the development of the athlete." If you are not implying sport-specific athletics, then Crossfit intersects with the domain of the guy shooting hoops at the "Y" on Tuesday nights and the soccer moms at Curves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    If you are weak in a certain domain, you are not as physically fit as you could be.
    And you could optimize that weakness by focusing within that specific domain until the weakness is corrected, if that is your intent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    Sports and fitness are not the same thing bud. CrossFit came into existance to prepare for the *unknown*, which is why it does not specialize in anything. This is why its so valuable to the military.
    Did you seriously think about that before you wrote it? What about all the Crossfitters who are not actively serving in the military? The *unknown* of... what? Having to unexpectedly run to catch the bus? Being able to jockey into position at the blue light sale?
    I'm not going to dis the military and, personally, I thank you and applaud your service to our country. However, with the revenue that is extracted from taxpayers in this country on a daily basis, I would hope that our government can figure out how to train soldiers without the need to resort to Crossfit. After all, U.S. military training has been around slightly longer than Crossfit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    It can produce an individual signifigantly strong in all the traits of fitness. Personally speaking, I'd rather be prepared for anything rather then be hoping that "X" does not happen. And in turn, everyone can benefit from the building of all these traits.
    Almost any type of halfway decently designed GPP program can accomplish that. So it really isn't saying much.

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    In short, go take a look at the Crossfit Games results. It just about summarizes up that the results are anything but "mediocre".
    Been there. Didn't really see anything spectacular. I'm pretty sure that you could randomly go to metropolitan gyms around the world, extract the top 1 - 3% of the fittest members, randomly select a number equal to the participants in the Crossfit Games and have similar results.

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    One thing I've learned about CrossFit is that it is always open for new training. After all, that is its lifeblood - constantly varied exercise. If you know of a program that develops the ten domains of fitness more efficiently, by all means, share. Otherwise, I'd love to hear why your bashing a program that has brought so much success to thousands of people. You've offered nothing so far, so enlighten us if you have the superior fitness program.
    I'm not bashing it - I'm just saying it's mediocre. And I'll hazard a guess that 90% of what you find here will prove as successful as the Crossfit protocol.

    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    Cross fitters are an intense cult of loyal followers.
    Yep.
  24. Senior Member
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    740
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    26.42%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    I'm not going to go in depth here, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Find me ANYBODY that can top the Crossfit Games scores, and I'll eat my words. Those are some of the fittest people on Earth, and to degrade what they can are physically capable speaks volumes. Keep in mind that those athletes had no idea what the challenges were prior to the Games.

    Your definition of athlete has also gone wrong. I don't think you even grasp what Crossfit is. Every workout is a competative event. There is hard data on each workout - whether that be time, max weight, repititions, rounds, whatever it may be. It turns the event into a physical competition: a sport. To deny these individuals the term athlete is rediculous.

    Nice job on the Google search. I suppose that's the best you have on your side of the table. Excellent. I wonder why those individuals have yet to reach peaks such as Crossfitters have. It's success has not come out of thin air. It produces, and for some reason, you fail to see that... You have nothing to offer but negativity, and I honestly just don't understand you guys. CrossFit has brought such success to so many, and it baffles me as to why people develop such apathy for it, without even trying it for themselves.

    The fact of the matter is... CrossFit produces. And it's not mediocre. You don't have to train it, nor do you have to like it. And you DEFINITELY don't have to clog up threads with utter bull**** like this. You can nitpick words all day, but in the end... you have nothing to offer... no one cares for negativity.. only results.
  25. New Member
    t-bone2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    414
    Rep Power
    394
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    29.36%

    Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    I think that it comes mostly because there are so many out there that immediately discount Crossfit and brush it aside.

    If you are involved in a specific sport such as soccer than of course you need sport specific training. Crossfit isn't designed to replace that. It is however a solid basis. If soccer is your sport than bodybuilding is not for you.
    No, but if soccer is your sport, you'll excel by performing some amount of resistance training.

    Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    If bodybuilding is your sport than marathons are not for you. Things are subjective with that.
    (Hmm... I wouldn't characterize BB as a sport.) But if you are a soccer player, atttempting to increase your VO2 Max would be beneficial.

    Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    I was told by a crossfit coach that you can take someone who is solid at crossfit and put them into any realm or sport and they can very quickly adapt and be good at it.
    I'm sure a crossfit coach told you that - it's part of the cult. Other coaches will tell you how to get a six-pack in 10 minutes a day.

    Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    However, you can not necessarily take someone from another realm or sport and them be good at what we do. It goes back to the 10 fitness traits. Example of what I mean, which puts into the question what is fitness and how is it different from sports.
    Seriously, take a sport specific athlete from say... Downhill skiing, Cross Country skiing, hockey, speed skating, gymnastics, etc and tell me, compared to a Crossfitter, which of these 10 fitness traits they are deficient in:

    * cardiovascular/respiratory endurance
    * stamina
    * strength
    * flexibility
    * power
    * speed
    * agility
    * balance
    * coordination
    * accuracy


    Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    From Crossfit website.
    Outside Magazine crowned triathlete Mark Allen "the fittest man on earth." Let’s just assume for a moment that this famous six-time winner of the IronMan Triathlon is the fittest of the fit, then what title do we bestow on the decathlete Simon Poelman who also possesses incredible endurance and stamina, yet crushes Mr. Allen in any comparison that includes strength, power, speed, and coordination?
    Perhaps Crossfit should bestow upon Mr. Allen the title of "the fittest man on earth" if they are so concerned with what Outside magazine publishes.
  26. New Member
    t-bone2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    414
    Rep Power
    394
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    29.36%

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    I'm not going to go in depth here, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Find me ANYBODY that can top the Crossfit Games scores, and I'll eat my words. Those are some of the fittest people on Earth.
    Now I'm convinced you have no idea what you are talking about.
  27. Senior Member
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    740
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    26.42%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by t-bone2 View Post
    Now I'm convinced you have no idea what you are talking about.
    CrossFit gets this a lot. It's response is, "Put up, or shut up". Go and find a program that develops fitness more effeciently. I think I've already asked you that, and you blanked with a Google search. You continually attack a program that is backed by hard numerical data.... yet you have nothing to offer as an alternative. If you can't match what CrossFit has produced, "shut up". There really isn't much more than I could say. This isn't subjective... it's comparing numbers.

    Honestly, what is your purpose here? I believe CrossFit has the potential to change lives, and that is why I speak so highly of it. You clearly don't agree, but do not offer the slightest bit of advice. If YOU seek to develop elite fitness, what would you do? If you speak so negatively about CrossFit, you must have something better, no? Once again, enlighten us, or get lost. If you can't put up, don't open your mouth.
  28. New Member
    t-bone2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    414
    Rep Power
    394
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    29.36%

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    CrossFit gets this a lot. It's response is, "Put up, or shut up". If you can't match what CrossFit has produced, "shut up". There really isn't much more than I could say.
    That's true. When called out, Crossfitters always seem to degrade to this. Sorry I'm not convinced that it is the "Holy Grail" that you make it out to be.
  29. Senior Member
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    740
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    26.42%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by t-bone2 View Post
    That's true. When called out, Crossfitters always seem to degrade to this. Sorry I'm not convinced that it is the "Holy Grail" that you make it out to be.
    It's not a degradation, its an offer; a challenge. A prove me wrong. You say this method isn't worthy... prove it. You called me out, and I answered with CrossFit's results. Now it's your turn. Not a degradation by any means.

    Listen, I love CrossFit, but I'll tell you what I love more. Fitness. If there is a method out there that produces better fitness than what I'm currently doing, you can bet your ass that I'm going to change programs. CrossFit works, and although I won't deny its imperfections, it outproduces anything else out there in terms of total fitness. That is why I train it.

    I'll always push for what produces the best results, for that's what we ALL are after. It's not a name tag, a certain affiliation, or anything superficial. Strictly the results. The numerical hard data. CrossFit thrives at developing those 10 domains, and again, I'll always be in favor for what works. In my eyes, to downplay the most effective manner is just ludicris. That is why I, and likely many other Crossfitters, defend the program to such a degree.
  30. New Member
    t-bone2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    414
    Rep Power
    394
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    29.36%

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    You say this method isn't worthy... prove it.
    Again, I never said it isn't worthy, I said it was mediocre. And, apart from a formal organizational strucutre, I said it was on parallel with most GPP protocols. I just don't believe that weekend warriors competing in the "Games" in the events of Thrusters, Deadlift/Burpee, a Run and C&J are some of "the fittest people on Earth." Frankly, with any amount of serious weight, doing C&J reps for time isn't the brightest idea. Is Rippetoe advocating such a protocol, please post a link if he is 'cause I'd be interested. And I think that it is interesting that Rip points out in the Crossfit journal that:
    Coach Glassman discussed this with me recently, in a conversation about increasing CrossFit’s strength base. We have talked many times about the fact that people who come to CrossFit from a strength-training background tend to perform better in the key aspects of the program. When you’re stronger, metabolic conditioning is easier and endurance stuff (i.e., 5k or 10k runs) is about the same—and workouts like “Diane” (three rounds, at 21-15-9 reps, of 225-pound deadlifts and handstand push-ups) are just not possible without a considerable amount of strength. In essence, it is easier for a lifter to improve his or her time on “Diane” than it is for a runner to develop the ability even to finish the workout without scaling it back to a very light weight. So the conversation focused on a way to work more strength into the program while maintaining the CrossFit approach to it

    I point this out ‘cause the avid Crossfitters I’ve talked to are more interested in rapid acceleration with light or no weight and skip the strength oriented WODs. But they’re still rabid Crossfitters…

    And what about all of the other hundreds who do Crossfit but don't compete in the "Games" because they are not among the Crossfit Elite? Where do they fall out on the distribution of athletes...? Probably not much different than most people at most gyms in most cities. If you know different, please provide proof.

    But, alas, I concede to you. For without an organized event like the Crossfit Games that specializes in completely unrelated events, I lack proof of my claims of mediocrity.
  31. Elite Member
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,254
    Rep Power
    719849
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    46.78%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    As Highlanda mentioned...

    Quantifiable Outputs
    Horsepower, Watts, etc. Why isn’t anyone else talking about this?

    Quantifiable Outputs:

    Diane: 21-15-9 reps of 225# Deadlift followed by Handstand Pushups
    -Mark stands about 6 feet tall and weighs about 210 pounds. His best time for ‘Diane’ is just over 2.5 minutes.

    225# + 105# x 2 feet x 45 reps = 29,700 foot-pounds of work
    210# x 1 foot x 45 reps = 9,450 foot pounds of work.
    29,700 + 9,450 = 39,150 foot pounds of work.

    -divide that by 2.5 minutes = 354 watts

    Bench Press: 3 sets x 10 reps x 225# x 1.5 feet = 10,125 foot-pounds

    - divide that by 2.5 minutes = 92 watts
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  32. New Member
    t-bone2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    414
    Rep Power
    394
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    29.36%

    Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    As Highlanda mentioned...

    Quantifiable Outputs
    Horsepower, Watts, etc. Why isn’t anyone else talking about this?

    Bench Press: 3 sets x 10 reps x 225# x 1.5 feet = 10,125 foot-pounds

    - divide that by 2.5 minutes = 92 watts
    Here's why, because without a better frame of reference that equation is limited.

    Bench Press: 5 sets * 30 reps * 50# (Yep, one 2.5 lbs disk per side) * 1.5 ft = 11,250 foot-pounds.

    How many mintues do I get to complete that and equal the watts output of your example? In terms of overall physical conditioning would you consider those two protocols to be similar? What if you decrease overall weight and increase reps or sets (or both?)
  33. Senior Member
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    740
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    26.42%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    I think it's safe to say no one is going to come to an agreement here. We'll keep doing what we're doing, and if you think there's a better method to developing functional fitness across broad domains, you keep doing that. That's fair enough.

    Leggo came in looking for CrossFit ideas and suggestions. Trolling in here because you have some personal fued with CrossFit has not moved any of us closer to our goals of functional fitness. Next time you want to debate something, have something on your side of the table to offer. Anybody can sit and point the finger, claiming its not good enough... what good is it if you can't provide a better way. It's pessimistic. Life's too short for that.

    All we want is the results... to blow old PR's out of the water, skyrocketing our skills in each domain of fitness. If an individual reaches new heights in his or her personal fitness, who are you to say its mediocre... there's no place for that.

    If the methods of CrossFit really just are too mediocre for you, then you have nothing to worry about. Spend your time elsewhere rather than impeding the inquiries of another. Leggo, feel free to create another thread, or PM CopyCat or myself if there's anything we can help you with. And lastly, I strongly urge you once more to check out the message boards at Crossfit.com. Certified coaches and affiliates log on every day to offer insight and ideas. Enormous amounts of information to answer all of your questions. And I promise, your CrossFit questions there will be answered with a far more friendly, open tone.
  34. Senior Member
    Leggo my Ego's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  212 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,487
    Rep Power
    849
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    67.46%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    I think it's safe to say no one is going to come to an agreement here. We'll keep doing what we're doing, and if you think there's a better method to developing functional fitness across broad domains, you keep doing that. That's fair enough.

    Leggo came in looking for CrossFit ideas and suggestions. Trolling in here because you have some personal fued with CrossFit has not moved any of us closer to our goals of functional fitness. Next time you want to debate something, have something on your side of the table to offer. Anybody can sit and point the finger, claiming its not good enough... what good is it if you can't provide a better way. It's pessimistic. Life's too short for that.

    All we want is the results... to blow old PR's out of the water, skyrocketing our skills in each domain of fitness. If an individual reaches new heights in his or her personal fitness, who are you to say its mediocre... there's no place for that.

    If the methods of CrossFit really just are too mediocre for you, then you have nothing to worry about. Spend your time elsewhere rather than impeding the inquiries of another. Leggo, feel free to create another thread, or PM CopyCat or myself if there's anything we can help you with. And lastly, I strongly urge you once more to check out the message boards at Crossfit.com. Certified coaches and affiliates log on every day to offer insight and ideas. Enormous amounts of information to answer all of your questions. And I promise, your CrossFit questions there will be answered with a far more friendly, open tone.
    Thanks Highlanda and CopyCat,
    I have been doing much research and am absolutely in favor of CrossFit. I found out there is a CF affiliate gym less than 5 minutes from my home. I will probably attempt to try CF on my own at the gym I belong to, but I'm sure I will need to sign up at a CF friendly gym. I experimented, as part of my shoulder routine, with a CF workout the other day, just to get a feel. I did hang cleans and pull ups 7 reps each for 3 rounds (not for time) no rest (not a full cf work out but, again, just experimenting) and damn, just that was pretty demanding. I am pretty sore today. I will probably run my normal routine for 1 more week before crossing completely into the dark side. I will have to start out with ***** weights until I get used to the program.

    Anyway, this thread was not intended to be a pissing competition and while I respect everyone's opinion, T-bone2, this thread was meant to discuss the CF workouts and results of those who use and have actually used the CF protocol and to get and give ideas, not to argue the the effectiveness thereof and point out what you feel to be shortcomings... -the effectiveness can hardly be argued in my opinion

    I will continue to post my thoughts, questions and progress in this thread so that others can read.

    Thanks
  35. Senior Member
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    740
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    26.42%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Leggo my Ego View Post
    Thanks Highlanda and CopyCat,
    I have been doing much research and am absolutely in favor of CrossFit. I found out there is a CF affiliate gym less than 5 minutes from my home. I will probably attempt to try CF on my own at the gym I belong to, but I'm sure I will need to sign up at a CF friendly gym. I experimented, as part of my shoulder routine, with a CF workout the other day, just to get a feel. I did hang cleans and pull ups 7 reps each for 3 rounds (not for time) no rest (not a full cf work out but, again, just experimenting) and damn, just that was pretty demanding. I am pretty sore today. I will probably run my normal routine for 1 more week before crossing completely into the dark side. I will have to start out with ***** weights until I get used to the program.

    Anyway, this thread was not intended to be a pissing competition and while I respect everyone's opinion, T-bone2, this thread was meant to discuss the CF workouts and results of those who use and have actually used the CF protocol and to get and give ideas, not to argue the the effectiveness thereof and point out what you feel to be shortcomings... -the effectiveness can hardly be argued in my opinion

    I will continue to post my thoughts, questions and progress in this thread so that others can read.

    Thanks
    Wow man, I'm absolutely jealous. FIVE minutes away from an affiliate. Anyways, I just wanted to say that there are no such thing as "***** weights." In CrossFit, always put intensity at the forefront - if that means taking 20lbs off the Rx'd weight so that you can train at the desired level of intensity, so be it. No one will ever look down upon that. Very few start the WOD's with the Rx'd weight. Will be interested to hear how your workouts come along!

    Also - time your next workout! I mean that sincerely! Going back to a WOD some months later and CRUSHING the PR is a feeling like none other. A direct indicator of improved fitness.

    And last but not least, have fun. This stuff will renew the competitor is anybody, whether thats competing against yourself or chasing a fellow Crossfitter. So much fun.
  36. Elite Member
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,254
    Rep Power
    719849
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    46.78%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Kill it man

    Posted from an iPhone
  37. New Member
    connelly22's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    87
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    52.25%

    CrossFit is the only way in my opinion! Ive been trying to get bigger and stronger for the last 4 years and have seen ok results. I experimented with CrossFit last summer and saw the biggest gains in size id ever had. During the fall, i switched to more of a body building workout program and only saw small results. Im now into my second full week back into CrossFit and have already set many PR's and have cut fat considerably. CrossFit has proved again to me to be the best style to put on lean muscle, while still greatly increasing strength and stamina!
  38. Registered User
    wrkn4bigrmusles's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  206 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    708
    Rep Power
    463
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    15.38%

    Im going to give Crossfit a 30day trial run @ Crossfit Oahu when I get back from Iraq. Im not sold on the idea although everyone raves about it, but that is just because I prefer bench pressing and dumbbell curling etc etc. But I plan to go in it with an open mind and the desire to lose some bodyfat I put on in the joint.

    Should be a good experience when I take my block leave in mid-march
  39. Elite Member
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,254
    Rep Power
    719849
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    46.78%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by wrkn4bigrmusles View Post
    Im going to give Crossfit a 30day trial run @ Crossfit Oahu when I get back from Iraq. Im not sold on the idea although everyone raves about it, but that is just because I prefer bench pressing and dumbbell curling etc etc. But I plan to go in it with an open mind and the desire to lose some bodyfat I put on in the joint.

    Should be a good experience when I take my block leave in mid-march
    In Iraq in 07 was when I first got turned onto cf.

    Posted from an iPhone
  40. Registered User
    wrkn4bigrmusles's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  206 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    708
    Rep Power
    463
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    15.38%

    i did my first day of Crossfit here on Oahu.. they offer a beginners class so its toned down a bit for us newbs... my honest opinion

    im completely worn out and have no desire to leave my couch

    so im gunna begin the elements class on tuesday and stick with the beginners class until im able to get a membership...

    6 pack and new Dress Blues here I come.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Ph's and Crossfit
    By FAMOUSX1 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-23-2010, 06:10 PM
  2. CROSSFIT
    By alwaysgaining in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-20-2009, 09:24 PM
  3. Crossfit Log
    By Highlanda01602 in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 01-08-2009, 02:48 PM
  4. Crossfit
    By Highlanda01602 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-26-2008, 08:53 PM
  5. Crossfit?? Wtf
    By MEH89 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 02:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in