Anything I can do to get taller?

The Anarchist

Awards
I keep hearing about guys who lift and grow an inch or more even in their early 20s, I'm 19 right now and around 6'1, I started lifting earlier this year and guess I grew a few cm's or my posture just got better. Anyway the main heavy lifts I do every week are clean & jerk, squats, bench, and deadlifts.

Edit: I've heard that squats and heavylifts can compress your spine, but have heard from opposite arguments that it does nothing to affect your height growth after a certain age like 17 or 18?

I want to get taller so is there anything different exercises I should do or nutrition?

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I've head long distance running can stretch your body. One of my neighbors grew an inch during marathon training, or so he says.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
well i'm not quite 6'1. More like 5'9 (yea kinda short). I stopped growing at 17. But for me i think it was genetics (with my folks being 5'3 in height) as well as improper lifestyle (late nights, lack of protein growing up, substances etc.)

But genetically, for most people once you're 19 you've reached your maximum point and the GH secreted by your body basically changes role. from 0 - 18, GH contributes for growth and expansion of bones.

Some lucky people grow til 21. It's common with lot of persons of Scandinavian descent and persons of African American descent. A very few more luckier people grow til 23. That's to say that their body doesn't reach peak til that age and then after that age, they stop growing and the GH function changes.

But if you're of the "lucky" category in genetics and you're 19, all I can really say is don't powerlift, rather do something like swimming or tri-athlon and medium intensity training. This develops capillaries, good respiratory system and overall foundation. And in terms of diet. More quality calories + more and better sleep (8 -9 hours a night) = more GH so yea, taller.

Guys who lift at an early age are more likely to stunt their growth. There's a theory that's semi-proven which says heavy lifting at an early teen age is detrimental to the expansion of bones.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
i heard power lifting stunts your growth.
Misconception. Weight lifting DOES NOT stunt growth plates, as the epiphyseal plate as already been ossified. This misconception comes from the fact that shorter are better genetically suited for weightlight as opposed to taller people. This is because taller people have more torque to overcome from the lengthened limbs than shorter people.

The same holds true for basketball. If you play basketball, you're not going to get taller. But, tall people play basketball because they are better genetically suited for the sport.

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hang from the swing set like Peter Brady did in the Brady Bunch episode...he grew several inch's :lol:

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
Misconception. Weight lifting DOES NOT stunt growth plates, as the epiphyseal plate as already been ossified. This misconception comes from the fact that shorter are better genetically suited for weightlight as opposed to taller people. This is because taller people have more torque to overcome from the lengthened limbs than shorter people.

The same holds true for basketball. If you play basketball, you're not going to get taller. But, tall people play basketball because they are better genetically suited for the sport.
I agree with you on the basketball thing but with weights, as far as my doctor and a few others told me, heavy lifting at a mid-teen age (let's say 15) may affect growth negatively by adding physical strain to the plates limiting their expansion.

Do you have any articles that talk about heavy lifting and the epiphyseal plates? I'd like to read them myself.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
When i hurt my back i went to see a chiropracter. At the end of the session he showed me an exercise that would benefit me if i done it 10mins each night which involved standing up against a door. It was to do with breathing and stretching or something. Totally forgot how you do it.

But anyway he said if i done that for 12 weeks, the bones or ligaments or something in my lower back would start to stretch slightly and it would add 2/3 inches to my height. I never got round to doing those exercises.. He also said it had a lot to do with posture.

Now that i re-read what i just wrote, it just sounds like a load of crap lol. Might be something you want to look into though.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I agree with you on the basketball thing but with weights, as far as my doctor and a few others told me, heavy lifting at a mid-teen age (let's say 15) may affect growth negatively by adding physical strain to the plates limiting their expansion.

Do you have any articles that talk about heavy lifting and the epiphyseal plates? I'd like to read them myself.

I'll find some, It was discussed in a biomechanics class a while back.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
The hyaline cartilage cells in the epiphyseal plate can undergo mitosis, which in the event it did become damaged; the damaged cells would be replaced until hormones dictate that the cartilage become ossified.

Bone Growth:

Bones grow in length at the epiphyseal plate by a process that is similar to endochondral ossification. The cartilage in the region of the epiphyseal plate next to the epiphysis continues to grow by mitosis. The chondrocytes, in the region next to the diaphysis, age and degenerate. Osteoblasts move in and ossify the matrix to form bone. This process continues throughout childhood and the adolescent years until the cartilage growth slows and finally stops. When cartilage growth ceases, usually in the early twenties, the epiphyseal plate completely ossifies so that only a thin epiphyseal line remains and the bones can no longer grow in length. Bone growth is under the influence of growth hormone from the anterior pituitary gland and sex hormones from the ovaries and testes.
Even though bones stop growing in length in early adulthood, they can continue to increase in thickness or diameter throughout life in response to stress from increased muscle activity or to weight. The increase in diameter is called appositional growth. Osteoblasts in the periosteum form compact bone around the external bone surface. At the same time, osteoclasts in the endosteum break down bone on the internal bone surface, around the medullary cavity. These two processes together increase the diameter of the bone and, at the same time, keep the bone from becoming excessively heavy and bulky.

The Anarchist

Awards
The reason I'm asking is because Brock Lesnar in one of his videos said that he went from 6'0 to like 6'3 in his early 20's from just massive workouts and lifting and packed on considerable size so yeah.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I believe its been discussed, use of HGH before the epiphyseal plates ossify may increase height.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
just don't ask smeaton what he thinks about this......

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
No, rubbish... Otherwise people like the Rock, or Brock Lesner or any other super fit person would be shorter.. I don't know many Body builders names, but on average they are around 5'9-6'0..

I once knew a guy in school who was 5'0" and could throw you through a wall practically. Think anyone made fun of his height? Nope..

The best thing you can do is learn to accept the things you can't change and strive for perfection in everything else. height is just one of those things that isn't up to us. unless you wear lifts of course :p

R-Mac.. Thank you for your avatar :D

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I believe its been discussed, use of HGH before the epiphyseal plates ossify may increase height.
Definitely true. A friend of mine who happened to be a little on the small side over all was prescribed HGH from the time he was 13. From 13-18 he grew almost 13 inches. He went off of it once he turned 19.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
Anarchist,

I've been researching this a little bit as well.
There's one site i found
www.giantscientific.com

It seems some people on there who're over 21 have grown a couple inches over 2 - 3 years. I think those exercises focus on spinal column stretching and slight limb lengthening (naturally, not thru operation).

I didn't think it was possible but apparently it is. I'm keen to start on lengthening exercises if they give such results.

Sergiu

Awards

You realize that these doctors were saying smoking is good for you a few decades back? Or they preach low fat, high carb diets? I can go on. Also think that a lot of the doctors graduated 20 years ago and if they're not really good doctors they probably use the same knowledge.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
your complaining about being 6 foot? man i haven't grown since i was tweleve, i'm 5'5...but as comedian Katt Williams says...when you a kid they tell you to drink milk so you could grow up to be big and strong...man my daddy 5'5 and my mother is 5'3 wtf was i drinking milk for...i coulda been eating baked beans and lemonheads all day

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
i was a 6 foot kid in the sixth grade.i had an early growth spirt,but what i remember consuming the most of was yogurt.LOL..im not saying that i can contribute the sudden growth to consuming mass amounts of vitamin d and calcium,but thats what i remember.:food:

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Break your legs. They do that in China. You have your legs broken and then place in casts/baces. Your bones are forced to calcify and heal. This adds leangth to your legs. of course you need to go to China and be on bed rest for 6 months.

EatMeat

EatMeat

Awards
i think it IS possible to gain very small amounts of heigh by stretching the spine, or at the very least because of improved posture.

sometimes i hang on a bar for a while.

dont forget that we are doing a lot of compressive excersizes, we have a lot of added weight trying to squish our vertibrates together when we are doing heavy shrugs, ect. and i think that working on the flexibility of your spine would be benificial, i make an attempt to give it a good stretch here and there.

Look at what a contortionist can do, and they gain inches of height when they work on gaining that type of flexibility. if you wish to gain a few inches of height, then that is where it is at. you dont have to train yourself to bend over backwards, but working on different stretches and moving your body in ways that you normally dont could be very beneficial, i think that the majority of us are ignorant of the importance of this, and that it can go a long ways towards preventing old man type back pains and problems.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
bro, im ur height... dont complain
i think its the perfect height... roughly 6'0 to 6'2"

now no offence to anyone outside this bracket everyone has their own opinions but I find the girls love guys our height... uve heard it before for sure "women love tall guys" bla bla... even tho its not tall-tall... say in comparison to some of my mates who are 6'6 but at that height its really fkn tall... and ur towering above the average woman...

where as being somewhere in the 5foot ranges... well... a lot of girls i know dont like it... so stop complaining!

perfect height imo!

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Play basketball
Was 2008 a special year to you for some reason? You seem to be bumping every thread from 2008. Is this like a scavenger hunt or something?

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I have noticed that common denominator as well. The first year he got some?!

Ray Donovan

Awards
Getting massages can help. Since getting regular massages starting about a year ago I gained half an inch last time I went to the doctor and people have made comments that I seem taller. I'm in my 30s so a little older than you kiddos.