maybe this is a dumb question...

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

maybe this is a dumb question...

normally, when im lifting i do pyramids and my reps go 10,8,6,4 sometimes 2. for me it gives me some good gains in strength and size pretty quick.

the problem is i usually get bulky. so...im trying to lose body fat right now. about 30 pounds lover the next 4-5months.

question is, if i tend tend to get bulky, should i do more reps...like 15, 12, 10, 8? or am i just looking bulky cause im like 20%fat? basically, when im satisfied with my bodyfat levels, i dont want to be big and bulky....more lean. any normally blocky people have experience with this?

if it helps...think of it this way. disregarding fat levels, my body is shaped like franco columbu (blocky, like a wrestlers build) where id like to be more like frank zane (leaner...longer like a boxers build).

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Answers

30 lbs? Why so much....

The low rep type workouts are normally for mass. You need to get your diet in check, and get a strict cardio routine along with your lifting. You have to lose bf by creating a deficit.
  3. glg
    Answers

Yeah definitely diet and cardio.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Well, If you have a 'blocky build' you are probably not going to be able to change that much. You can however, shape your body so that it has the appearance of being stream-lined a la Frank Zane. Bring up your lats, shoulders, and outter quad sweep to make your waist look smaller. Then drop your body-fat down to take off the extra padding.

Of course, this is assuming that you have a naturally wide waist even when your lean. Since your currently at 20% bf, it may be hard to tell, atm. Just cut until your satisfied with your bf level, then assess if you need to make the changes mentioned above.

Finally, in terms of a weightlifting routine, since you are not concerned with strength, you could try a circuit training rountine. It will turn your lifting time into a hiit routine which can help lean you out. A particularly brutal program (and one of my favorites) is this: Lose Fat Like You're on Crack! | Mind and Muscle.

And btw, there are no dumb questions, only dumb people.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

knucks: 30 pounds cause im pretty much fat. ive lost 5 or so since i started about 1.5 weeks ago. im at 198 but my normal bodyweight is like...170-175. but i probably have the potential to be like 160-165 and look good Vs. normal. not that im a blob of blubber. its just that i look like a power lifter. strong and round.

rhyno. thanks.. ill look into that.
  6. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Answers

Well you can do one of two things. You can lift as you usually do but pull in diet and cardio and see if you like the way you look but leaner.

Or you can pull in diet and cardio and try doing 4 sets of 15 reps and sculpt the cuts. Then see if you are happy with the way you look. You can add in a heavy day once a week here to keep from losing mass. But I actually find it harder to do 4 sets of 15 reps.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

man...so i tried doing a small leg routine in circuit with regular reps and weight and added jumprope between the circuits. i damn near died. it was great. i dont go to a gym, i have a power rack and a few dumb bells so routines can be limited but i can do most things.

i started with deadlifts as a warmup. 4sets of 10 medium weight.

then squats, calf raises, lunges, jumprope 30seconds. i did 10reps of each at about 75% max weight in circuit and rested maybe 30seconds between. i barely made it to 4 circuits.

crader: ive tried doing 15 reps for 4 sets, but for some reason or another i always go back to doing the regular rep range. after say 2 weeks of higher reps, i dont see as much difference in the mirror. ill try what im doing now (circuits) for a few weeks, then try higher reps with a heavy day and see how i like it.

to all: yeah i know its diet. im pretty good about it. but it obviously needs work. its one of those things where you know what you need to do...but you do 85% of it. like cleaning teoilet and mopping the bathroom floor but leaving the bathtub dirty. ill get it...one day. im going to take pictures for motivation.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  175 lbs.
    Answers

good luck
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. old guy with dumb question...
    By ImJ2x in forum Supplements
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 12:36 PM
  2. Dumb question but i need the help!