"Some people just aren't meant to be big"

The Anarchist

Awards
I've heard this countless times, from people telling me, and others telling others...When I was skinny as a bone and had just started lifting, people were telling me things like I'll never get to 200 lbs, but I'm already 180 right now just from eating more and moderate lifting. Then again, I see people that I train with and I start to doubt myself seeing how some guys can keep at that size while half-assing around....and guys who can never gain weight no matter how much they eat...

Do you think this is really true? That some people won't ever be able to get to a certain frame that they desire even with the right exercise routine and diet?

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
Most if not all people have a genetic limit to the size they can gain. If you are already at 180, I don't think it will be too difficult to gain an extra 20 lbs if you dedicate yourself to your diet an training regimen. Start counting your calories; this might make a real difference.

Some people have it easier than others. Personally, I never had too much trouble gaining weight but when it comes to getting cut, it is a pain in the ass. So those same guys who are maintaining their size with a half-ass routine, could be pissed that they don't have cuts.

You shouldn't use other people as a source of reference, it's your progress, not theirs' that matters. As far as other people naysaying, just ignore that sh*t. People seem to accept mediocrity as a part of life and anyone who is trying to go above and beyond that is generally chastized. I guess it's good to have haters though; it means you're doing well. :cheers:

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
Agreed ^

Some people just don't have big enough frames; I put on muscle at about the same rate as I drop fat, so I suppose I'm a happy medium.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
not everyone can get big. that being said, not that many people really understand what it takes to reach your body's genetic potential. so many people half a$$ it in the gym. all the skinny guys are faulty for either overtraining or a lackluster diet. i know one guy who's 150, and has been there for two years - all he does is overtrain and claim he "eats all the time". anyone can put on muscle though - some just have to try harder than others.

not everyone can break the 200 lb mark though. my body for instance would cap off there - meaning i would probably have joint issues getting much bigger than that. anybody that says they can't break 175 though is either short, or has no sense of the dedication it takes to get there.

stormecho

stormecho

Awards
I agree with what you guys are saying, especially Suncloud.

Here's the thing, I've seen a classic ectomorph, the typically most difficult frame to gain with make incredible, staggering gains through diet and training alone. Everyone on this board sings the same song and it's for a reason.

That being said, he reached 190, on a 5'10 frame, up from about 160. This took a little more than a year, and I'd say he's at his genetic limit now, but damn, does he look good.

I"m a classic mesomorph, and I gain EVERYTHING fast. Muscle, strength, and unfortunately fat. It's a constant battle to keep the fat in check, but I'll take it, given the success I get with the weights.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
My mom always said stuff like this...I hated it...I use it as motivation now...

stormecho

stormecho

Awards
Right...like John Locke from the show "Lost"...

"Don't ever, ever tell me what I CAN'T do!!!"

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
its bullshit anyone can get big, unless you have absolutely hopeless genetics,

now muscle shape that's a nother topics. This topic is where genetics really come in and separates the top of the top professionals.

Last edited:

Ectnomore

Awards
I've been an AM reader for a while now and feel Its time to start participating.... and this is a topic I'm passionate about.

Yup I've heard this negative crap before too.... and mate if I can make it to 192 pounds you can too. I'm a classic ectomorph (narrow hands, feet, shoulders etc) and Ive been up to 195 pounds.

I feel my diet and training still has a lot to go and have little doubt I can make it to my goal of 210 with some fine tuning. I was 138 pounds in 2005. The key is training for your body type and keeping your muscles guessing... and as said before DON'T overtrain!

Good luck :)

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
Dennis The Wolf Has Small Joints.......

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was an ectomorph before I started bodybuilding. I was 150-160(maybe 165)my senior year with the winter-time being the heaviest.

I used to skateboard 3 hours everyday(and like one or two in the winter yes everyday) outside. and eat like a bird. anyone who does this will be skinny. I sure responded to weight training well though. I have small joints mine are like 6.75.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
my wrists are so small, and my forearms long, it kinda sucks.

I was about 130 when I got on the site, 143 right now, about 6 months later. It is in training, and I would weigh alot more if my legs weren't hurt. At least another 6 pounds.

I am shooting for 180 as my max, but I will be happy once I hit that pretty lil 160 myself. my wrists are i think 6 inches around....

Since I started lifting though, I see for a fact I can reach 180. It will take a good amount of time, dedication, training. Limits are meant to be broken, and I believe that includes genetic limits too.

dommer

Banned
Awards
My mom always said stuff like this...I hated it...I use it as motivation now...
my mom tried to convince me that if i dropped to 175 i would look sickly (5'10" btw) i replied with you'll see

over the course of my cut so far i have dropped from 202lbs to 178lbs and lost nothing but fat my pant size is now a 32 instead of a 36 and last time my mom saw me she ate her words about me looking sickly at 175ish

my body type likes putting on muscle and increasing strength pretty quickly but it also like putting on fat even doing 45mins of cardio every day on my cut i managed to up almost all of my weights

only thing i regret was not getting in the gym and being serious about this earlier in life if i started when i was 17-18 instead of 21 i can only imagine the difference

once i hit my goal of sub 10%bf its time to bulk cleanly and get bigger

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was 230 in 2004 when joined this site when i joined, with a higher amount of body-fat than now. I have more muscle now(even though I haven't worked upper body in six months) and am stronger overall. (might have been stronger on squats and arms than ,than IdK) Overall im happy when i am now and brought a lot weaker body parts up. I know for a fact i sure know a lot more. I got by acccident last time with a training partner. eating a lot(junk also) and training like an animal. 405 squats...

Your going to hear a lot of stuff that isn't useful from society and even your family, disregard it. use what is useful for you..and your true friends and family will support you, even if they may disagree with you. My mom says she doesn't want me getting up to 250 , which I may by this year, as long as I eat healthy, keep my cardio in check, and remain healthy , sure it may be a lil uncomfortable ..that's what i want to do though. I may have a chub on me. i just find after I do get some fat I'm a lot stronger and when i diet down I'm a lot bigger. and I don't plan on cutting down to super low body fat level's unless I have a competition. and its hard to say body fat percentage so i don't even mention it because I go by the mirror. if I'm fat or cut I know it by looking at myself.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
its bullshit anyone can get big, unless you have absolutely hopeless genetics,

now muscle shape that's a nother topics. This topic is where genetics really come in and separates the top of the top professionals.
**** calves and bicep peaks, dude.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I have wondered about this too. Does someone like Ronnie Coleman or Dennis Wolf (2 of my favorites) look the way they do because they are just that much more motivated than others or are they gifted in genetics. I think it's a bit of both but some people blame genetics too much. I wined about not being able to put on weight for years. Only in the past few months have I really given 110 percent towards training and diet and I started seeing results.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I have wondered about this too. Does someone like Ronnie Coleman or Dennis Wolf (2 of my favorites) look the way they do because they are just that much more motivated than others or are they gifted in genetics. I think it's a bit of both but some people blame genetics too much. I wined about not being able to put on weight for years. Only in the past few months have I really given 110 percent towards training and diet and I started seeing results.
Genetics and "supplements" are a large factor.......however,

Very disciplined training and diet...............VERY..........

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
I'm a good example too.

I was about 140 when I started weight training..and went up to 155 pretty quickly. Then went up to about 165 or so..where I'm at now.

My goal is to be 200...but we shall see...

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
i was 150lb at 6"1 when iwas about 16. i didnt even think i was skinny but everyone thought i was. Looking back i obviously was. I got myself up to 180lbs within 6 months, thats when i realised i was pretty lucky in the gaining weight department. Since then it hasn't been a problem. I travelled for two years not lifting and got back into it at about 21. I got up to 200lbs and thought that was it. Well a few years later and i quite easily got to 250lbs. BUT the downside is cutting is a biatch!
At the end of teh day just ebcasue you are skinny doesn't mean you are gonig to find it tough to gain weight. I didn't. Ever seen the early photos of Lou Ferrigno when he was a teenager?? he is a skinny runt and by the time he was 24 he was on stage at the Olympia.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
its all about dedication. trying to gain 30 more pounds sound impossible to me, but I know its actually going to be easier than I think.

Proper food.

Dont forget that some of the huuuge guys you see, used very special "supplements" to get their size. If I used something like that I would be 165 right now probably.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
^^ no offence Zero but you must be one skinny mo fo with those numbers. You have plenty of weight gain still to go. Let the good times role. Get your eat on.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
^^ no offence Zero but you must be one skinny mo fo with those numbers. You have plenty of weight gain still to go. Let the good times role. Get your eat on.
You a little taller than me, and I can carry 170, no problem.
Keep in mind I started at almost the exact same stats too.

Visit thou a buffet!!!!! Often!!!:hammer:

Bberforlife

Awards
I think it's bullshit. I for sure have pretty shitty genetics, but with insane amounts of food and proper training I've gotten some good gains.. might not be huge yet but I'm on my way. I started at around 155-160 lbs at 6'3-6'4, and at my highest weight I was 240. Might not be a monster, but I've shown that what I thought was never possible is definitely possible.

Also 100% of the people I knew.. friends, family, and others that knew I was lifting never thought in a million years that I'd ever have decent size. People told me all the time that drinking those protein shakes are useless, and would question if I workout. Luckily I never listened and will continue to go for it.

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
I've heard this countless times, from people telling me, and others telling others...When I was skinny as a bone and had just started lifting, people were telling me things like I'll never get to 200 lbs, but I'm already 180 right now just from eating more and moderate lifting. Then again, I see people that I train with and I start to doubt myself seeing how some guys can keep at that size while half-assing around....and guys who can never gain weight no matter how much they eat...

Do you think this is really true? That some people won't ever be able to get to a certain frame that they desire even with the right exercise routine and diet?

I've been lifting since I was 12 years old and have been skinny up until mid way through college.
In my Jr year of high school I was 6'1 and weighed a whopping 136 lbs!!
Needless to say, I wasn't going to go off to college the next year that skinny!
I ate more and drink a lot of weight gain shakes. I got up to 165, which isn't big, but compared to 136 it's huge!
Eventually, I kept getting bigger and pretty much maintained at 190-195 throughout college.
After turning 30, my metabolism slowed and I was able to reach 215 (I've always wanted to get to 210 for some reason). I now maintain around 200-205 as I can't eat enough to stay 210+ but I feel that weight is good enough.
So yes, it can be done.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I think it's bullshit. I for sure have pretty shitty genetics, but with insane amounts of food and proper training I've gotten some good gains.. might not be huge yet but I'm on my way. I started at around 155-160 lbs at 6'3-6'4, and at my highest weight I was 240. Might not be a monster, but I've shown that what I thought was never possible is definitely possible.

Also 100% of the people I knew.. friends, family, and others that knew I was lifting never thought in a million years that I'd ever have decent size. People told me all the time that drinking those protein shakes are useless, and would question if I workout. Luckily I never listened and will continue to go for it.

thats great work.........but lets be fair..........6'4" is not shitty genetics..........Caloric intake is what you needed.

Try 5'10" with small bones............AND having been genetically screwed on legs.......... its a fact.......both sides of the family i got the shaft.

Most women have a bigger wrist than I do........lol

lol

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
my body didnt want me over 185 and im 5 10 or 5 11

once i got over 185 , wasnt able run well, hurt my knees, and i ****ed up my back, (still recovering over 1 year later, its a recurring injury) but now im over 200, and i want another like 30 pounds lol

seems all my problems with my back started after i forced myself over 185, so im gunna say thats where my body wanted me, where it was happiest.

cubs1987

cubs1987

Awards
  • Established
my body didnt want me over 185 and im 5 10 or 5 11

once i got over 185 , wasnt able run well, hurt my knees, and i ****ed up my back, (still recovering over 1 year later, its a recurring injury) but now im over 200, and i want another like 30 pounds lol

seems all my problems with my back started after i forced myself over 185, so im gunna say thats where my body wanted me, where it was happiest.
ya I can't seem to get over the 172 mark. It seems that's the sweet spot for my body atm. Looking to change that though soon...

dpfisher

My dad was the tiniest guy you ever saw in the 70s. He tried to give me his old leather jacket (before I had ever lifted) and I couldn't even come close to fitting my shoulders in

Now he's pretty big, when I was in high school my friends made hulk jokes about him fairly frequently

He's 5'8" and I'd say he was 130 when he was in his 20s and sometime in his mid 40s he was probably 200 with 15% bf. He's since stopped lifting but for someone who never lifted until he was over 30 he got pretty big