training and MMA

hawks31

Awards
5'6" 167 11%bf.. just finished a cycle of test/turanbol/nolva and love the gains ive made. ill be starting mma training 4 to 5 days a week come beginning of september. considering weightlifting for me is my main focus, how should i lift while training MMA and not "overtrain" and lose muscle gains ive already made. the cardio that comes with mma alone will thin me out, but using all my muscles in training should be detremental to my size correct? and yes i know i cant have it both ways, im willing to compromise to the point where I can hopefully keep all my size. any suggestions for my new lifting regiment?

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
If you eat enough calories you won't lose any weight. MMA training 5 days a week is going to create a huge caloric deficit so you have to balance this out by eating a ton. Depending on your metabolism and how many hours per week you train this could be upwards to 1000 cals. Drinking BCAA's, a protein/simple carb mix, WMS, or simply some gatorade during your training will also help. If your carb-sensitive go with the BCAA's otherwise the protein/carbs would be best. Just sip it throughout your training; it should also keep your energy levels up.

As for integrating weight-training into an MMA conditioning program, train the MMA forum. Those guys should be able to help you out.:thumbsup:

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Eat all you want, it won't help. The fact of the matter is that the combination of both will very likely have you on the edge of overtraining. I wouldn't lift more than 3 times per week especially with MMA training 4-5 times per week. Recovery will be difficult so you'll have to experiment to find your balance. I would start off with two total bodyworks a week and see if that suffices. If not a 3 day split might be ab better option.

Diet is especially important and amino acids will be of great value. I'm not entirely sold on the importance of carbs pre or peri workout and generally tend to avoid them.

hawks31

Awards
alright i like the ideas thrown at me so far. might have failed to mention that my physique is my main goal. love my lifting and im doing the MMA to have some fun and switch up my workout routine, guess the only problem (not really a problem) is that i bust my ass in everything so ill def end up taking the MMA seriously... just trying to keep my body looking as best I can while combining these 2.

rawfeels

Awards
ive been at it for about 6months now. if youre a beginner, the cardio is a bit different that what you think of as "cardio". its more like running sprints. so if youre not used to running sprints...go start. it will help you a ton when sparring.

i found this out after a few weeks and had to shift my weights to fullbody 3x a week. bench, squat, deadlift, pullups, pushpress, power cleans. havent seen to muscle strength loss.

you get a ton of cardio AFTER class. dont be one of those guys that stays to learn in class, but doesnt stay after class to spar.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
you get a ton of cardio AFTER class. dont be one of those guys that stays to learn in class, but doesnt stay after class to spar.
when you're new and you don't know much that can be hard to do in the beginning. My frame of mind is class isn't over until there's no one left to spar with though. :)

hawks31

Awards
still like what im hearing. just that will doing the 3x a week full body let me keep the muscle MASS ive gained while going to mma classes?

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Eat all you want, it won't help. The fact of the matter is that the combination of both will very likely have you on the edge of overtraining. I wouldn't lift more than 3 times per week especially with MMA training 4-5 times per week. Recovery will be difficult so you'll have to experiment to find your balance. I would start off with two total bodyworks a week and see if that suffices. If not a 3 day split might be ab better option.

Diet is especially important and amino acids will be of great value. I'm not entirely sold on the importance of carbs pre or peri workout and generally tend to avoid them.
this is thrue but only in the begining.

If you stay consistent your body will adapt!
You dont need to eat more except more protein and stay hydrated.
Train hard and you will find that your physique is going to transform.
For weights do strength training.. (heavy weights)

Keep it simple .. you would be amazed at how well that works!

rawfeels

Awards
still like what im hearing. just that will doing the 3x a week full body let me keep the muscle MASS ive gained while going to mma classes?
from what ive experienced...yes youd keep the majority of your mass. i have for the last few months. not sure if it would work out long term though. eventually im sur eyour body will adapt and youd need to change it up again.

come to think of it, theres this dude in class whos been training for a few years. he fights as an amateur in competition. dude is the most ripped but super muscular person ive ever personally seen. hes probably 5'10" about 190lbs but retardedly strong and defined.

another thing to keep in mind, you dont necessarily want to have so much muscle. what i mean to say is...strength is a plus (obviously), but sometimes muscular arms can get in the way and you wind up getting choked easier. youll understand what i mean when you get into triangle chokes. again, muscle mass can help you get out of situations, but sometimes you get in too deep, and no amount of muscle will help....your big ass guns then become your enemy.

my opinion for the sport is that its better to have explosive power than sheer mass....thats why i like doing those compound movements. sometimes i go heavy and slow, sometimes medium and faster pace. dont forget your core muscles either. youll find theyre essential muscles to have when working off your back.

Prjct86Man

Awards
yea, you definitely want strength and power over size, i know there is the appearance part of it, but you wont be worried about what you look like when you are gassed out getting beaten to a pulp. like randy couture says, beach muscles don't do you much good in a fight. look at vitor belfort when he was yoked in his early days, if he didn't finish fights early he gassed out. big muscles suck up a lot of blood and, as a result, oxygen.