What supps can help ease anti-depressant withdrawals?

ndawson89

ndawson89

Awards
I am weaning off cymbalta after being on an 60 mg per day for a year - i need to get these ****ing withdrawals outta here - currently experiencing higher levels of anxiety and intense dizziness spells that come and go. Any help?

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Im goin to venture a guess and say your experiencing the symptoms that got you prescribed cymbalta in the first place?

Your best bet would be to analyse your life as honestly as you can, figure out what time of day, location, food, anything that makes you on edge. Then figure out how to limit your exposure to these things.

Meditation, and stretching work wonders too. It clears you mind, leaving you extremely relaxed during, and afterwards.

This is the first time you've been exposed to your senses in an unfiltered way in over a year, you now have to figure out how to cope with that.

spigot

spigot

Awards
Deprenyl?

Phenibut, kava kava, 5-htp, L-Theanine, Tyrosine.

comacho

comacho

Awards
  • Established
my gf tried all these to ease her sides but still there were some, goodluck

phenylalanine
taurine
rhodiola
fishoil
NAC
tart cherry
inositol

lower them very very slow thats the best way

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
known more for anti-depressants...inositol in high doses has simular effects as flouxetine. st. johns wart is good too but it takes some time to notice it, a few weeks even.

lector606

lector606

Awards
My sister had an awful time getting off anti depressants. She tried everything under the sun and eventually resorted to breaking open the capsule and taking an extremely small amount away each day, increasing by the week. Now she is down to about 1/3 of her normal dose and is okay, but she still gets extremely sick if she doesn't take it at all.

Scary ****, I wish you all the best man.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Spigot got to it before me... I was going to say Kava, and 5-HTP.

Adams

markoni

Awards
Kava Kava for anxiey, fish oil in high dose, agmatine....

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
why are you trying to get off the cymbalta?? is this under doctors care?? ive been onpyschtropic meds since i was 19 and ive made the mistake of trying to quit taking them myself, never worked out. as one of the other posters said, slowly lower the dose over a period of weeks, preferably under doctors care, but not all at once. if you stop could turkey you could have some serious reactions like the withdrawls your having, to a pyschotic break down...... be careful

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am weaning off cymbalta after being on an 60 mg per day for a year - i need to get these ****ing withdrawals outta here - currently experiencing higher levels of anxiety and intense dizziness spells that come and go. Any help?

Bro best solution for this (your not really going to like this) is to switch to Prozac under the supervision of a psychiatrist and then after a few months on the Prozac stop (if you decide that stopping the antidepressant is really the best course of action). The reason for this is that most fo the side effects from dropping the Cymbalta are from effects on the serotonin system. The fact that Cymbalta works on both NE and Serotonin only makes it worse but the symptoms you are describing are serotonin related. Switch to Prozac for a few months which will minimize the serotonin side effects while the NE system rebalances (use some of the suggested compounds from the other posts :goodpost: ) Then after a while if you are still set on stopping all antidepressants then you can ween off or stop the Prozac cold turkey (Prozac is self weening since the half life is so long). This will not work with other SSRIs (Zoloft, Paxil, etc.) since the half life is relativly so short.

Your symptoms are not from the underlying depression/condition but are in fact definately from antidepressant withdrawal/resetting of the neurotransmitter systems.

Hang in there and good luck!

Mr.50

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My sister had an awful time getting off anti depressants. She tried everything under the sun and eventually resorted to breaking open the capsule and taking an extremely small amount away each day, increasing by the week. Now she is down to about 1/3 of her normal dose and is okay, but she still gets extremely sick if she doesn't take it at all.

Scary ****, I wish you all the best man.

When weening off, it's best to hit an herbal detox right away after your last dose, the 10-day full body cleanse work well. I got this info from an effexor withdrawl support forum. Seemed to work well for me. I was suffering horrible withdrawl symptoms, but once I did the proper detox/cleanse, I felt much better. This should help to sever the tie. Was rough for a couple weeks but worth it.

LatsRus

LatsRus

Awards
also st.johns wort helps too - 5htp definetly as well

-good luck man

ndawson89

ndawson89

Awards
why are you trying to get off the cymbalta?? is this under doctors care?? ive been onpyschtropic meds since i was 19 and ive made the mistake of trying to quit taking them myself, never worked out. as one of the other posters said, slowly lower the dose over a period of weeks, preferably under doctors care, but not all at once. if you stop could turkey you could have some serious reactions like the withdrawls your having, to a pyschotic break down...... be careful
it is under doctor's care, i am finished weaning off of them, but am facing the withdrawals, he wanted to write a script for xanax, but after taking them for a while a couple years ago I have come to the conclusion that **** does nothing but harm to your nervous system - bleh - i'll take phenibut over that any day.

DevilSmack

DevilSmack

Awards
Best thing I used while tappering off an SSRI was 5-HTP.

Also, eating a lot of complex cabs helps too.

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
I've been off my antidepressants for a little over 2 weeks now. I didn't take anything...That was a mistake. I had a couple days of really nasty dizziness and one day at work I thought I was gonna faint...But I definately weathered the worst of it and the withdrawal symptoms are finally gone...
Good luck...

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
surprised i missed this thread. cymbalta lead me into a deeper depression than i was EVER in to begin with. I couldn't stop it. Even when I was pretty much a vegetable in a hotel room and almost inept. Cymbalta drained the life out of me and left me for dead. I was in a vegetative and deteriorating depression and debilitating fast... no one would help me out. I had a number in my phone of someone whom I knew was a meth addict and paid him for decent stuff just because with my education/background and degree, I knew it was the only thing to guarantee me a lift and sway me on to the manic end of the spectrum; A point at which atleast I could get things done. I couldn't stop Cymbalta until rehab. They cut me cold turkey and I was giving drugs to help for the seizures and finally I got better, slowly.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Oh, and if you're still figuring out support supps for weening off. You can PM me and I'll tell you EVERYTHING you need. You can even call me up and I'll outline you the entire process.

You have to cover all the bases and it can be 'pain-easing'

1. Depleted neurochemistry
2. Depleted glutathione
3. Damage to the mylen sheath
4. Abused and damaged adrenal gland
5. Fatigued CNS
6. Miscellaneous

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Oh, and if you're still figuring out support supps for weening off. You can PM me and I'll tell you EVERYTHING you need. You can even call me up and I'll outline you the entire process.

You have to cover all the bases and it can be 'pain-easing'

1. Depleted neurochemistry
2. Depleted glutathione
3. Damage to the mylen sheath
4. Abused and damaged adrenal gland
5. Fatigued CNS
6. Miscellaneous
FOG I am sure you are really busy but if you ever can find the time to type up a guide to this process for all of us I am sure it will be tremendous help!

Mr.50

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
FOG I am sure you are really busy but if you ever can find the time to type up a guide to this process for all of us I am sure it will be tremendous help!

Mr.50
You're right Mr. 50, thank GOD things have been getting busy... lol! I've been praying for the membership to pick up and now I've got 5-6 cash paying clients per day for personal training!

When I was suffering, I wished that there was someone that could guide me through it, tell me what I needed, and tell me what to do, etc. I surfed endless message boards only to find many, many more people suffering and crying out for help. I also found people giving some pretty poor advice... although these people had some good intentions, their supplement recommendations would actually cause more harm than good.

That being said, I think I owe it to you guys to help you out. I'll make up a plan with a good set of necessary supplements and I'll give a list of secondary supplements with directions on how to take both. Core supplements for anti-depressant withdrawal will be NECESSARY and I'll keep it in a budget as well. Secondary supplements will be supplements that I have studied and used as well throughout my experiences and will serve as a tool only to enhance the mind and further decrease the pain during such time. This will minimize the transition.

I'll also give you supps/things to AVOID. Things that I've tried that backfired. I'll post ASAP... probably tomorrow.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You're right Mr. 50, thank GOD things have been getting busy... lol! I've been praying for the membership to pick up and now I've got 5-6 cash paying clients per day for personal training!

When I was suffering, I wished that there was someone that could guide me through it, tell me what I needed, and tell me what to do, etc. I surfed endless message boards only to find many, many more people suffering and crying out for help. I also found people giving some pretty poor advice... although these people had some good intentions, their supplement recommendations would actually cause more harm than good.

That being said, I think I owe it to you guys to help you out. I'll make up a plan with a good set of necessary supplements and I'll give a list of secondary supplements with directions on how to take both. Core supplements for anti-depressant withdrawal will be NECESSARY and I'll keep it in a budget as well. Secondary supplements will be supplements that I have studied and used as well throughout my experiences and will serve as a tool only to enhance the mind and further decrease the pain during such time. This will minimize the transition.

I'll also give you supps/things to AVOID. Things that I've tried that backfired. I'll post ASAP... probably tomorrow.

Hey much appreciatred bro! Don't rush I am encited to read it and make use of your experience and knowledge but like I said I am sure you are busy, so keep on the good track you are on and we will all be patient for your knowledge when time allows you to fill us in. Thanks again.

Mr.50