icariin-test booster,libido booster or both?

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.23%

icariin-test booster,libido booster or both?

I've searched throughout the net and have seen conflicting info...some say "horny goat weed" has nothing to do with testosterone levels whatsoever and works strictly on libido and erection strength while some studies have implied that circulating testosterone levels were increased. Do we know for sure...anyone?
    Thx

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.09%

Here are some studes regarding icariin, an extract taken from the Epimedium (horny goat weed plant). Couldn't find any human trials tho.

Test-boosting properties:
    The testosterone mimetic properties of icariin.
    Zhang ZB, Yang QT.
    Department of Urology, Second Affiliated Hospital, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou 515041, China. zbzhang@stu.edu.cn

AIM: To evaluate the testosterone mimetic properties of icariin. METHODS: Forty-eight healthy male Sprague-Dawley rats at the age of 15 months were randomly divided into four groups with 12 rats each: the control group (C), the model group (M), the icariin group (ICA) and the testosterone group (T). The reproductive system was damaged by cyclophosphamide (intraperitoneal injection, 20 mg/kg x day) for 5 consecutive days for groups M, ICA and T, at the sixth day, ICA (gastric gavage, 200 mg/kg x day) for the ICA group and sterandryl (subcutaneous injection, 5 mg/rat . day) for the T group for 7 consecutive days, respectively. The levels of serum testosterone, luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), serum bone Gla-protein (BGP) and tartrate-resistant acid phosphatase activity in serum (StrACP) were determined. The histological changes of the testis and the penis were observed by microscope with hematoxylin-eosin (HE) staining and terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase biotin-dUTP-X nick end labeling (TUNEL), respectively. RESULTS: (1) Icariin improved the condition of reproductive organs and increased the circulating levels of testosterone. (2) Icariin treatment also improved the steady-state serum BGP and might have promoted bone formation. At the same time, it decreased the serum levels of StrACP and might have reduced the bone resorption. (3) Icarrin suppressed the extent of apoptosis of penile cavernosal smooth muscle cells. CONCLUSION: Icariin has testosterone mimetic properties and has therapeutic potential in the management of hypoandrogenism.

Erection strength (PDE5 inhibition):
    Effects of icariin on cGMP-specific PDE5 and cAMP-specific PDE4 activities.Xin ZC, Kim EK, Lin CS, Liu WJ, Tian L, Yuan YM, Fu J.
    Department of Urology, the 1st Hospital, Peking University, 8 Xishiku Street, Xicheng District, Beijing 100034, China. xinzc@bjmu.edu.cn

AIM: To clarify the mechanism of the therapeutic action of icariin on erectile dysfunction (ED). METHODS: PDE5 was isolated from the human platelet and PDE4 from the rat liver tissue using the FPLC system (Pharmacia, Milton Keynes, UK) and the Mono Q column. The inhibitory effects of icariin on PDE5 and PDE4 activities were investigated by the two-step radioisotope procedure with [(3)H]-cGMP/[(3)H]-cAMP. Papaverine served as the control drug. RESULTS: Icariin and papaverine showed dose-dependent inhibitory effects on PDE5 and PDE4 activities. The IC(50) of Icariin and papaverine on PDE5 were 0.432 micromol/L and 0.680 micromol/L, respectively and those on PDE4, 73.50 micromol/L and 3.07 micromol/L, respectively. The potencies of selectivity of icariin and papaverine on PDE5 (PDE4/PDE5 of IC(50)) were 167.67 times and 4.54 times, respectively. CONCLUSION: Icariin is a cGMP-specific PDE5 inhibitor that may be developed into an oral effective agent for the treatment of ED.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.23%

Ah! Thanks for this info., Rhyno. At least we know that in rats in seems to boost test levels..and good for libido at least in us humans.
    •   

4. AI Sports Nutrition
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.67%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Everyone is reporting the libido boost with Stoked check out strategicmove log
    Ask me for samples of the new RecoverPRO and Maniac. 3Z is coming July 1st Facebook for more info and maybe a great deal on it coming.
    http://twitter.com/#!/TeamAISports
    http://www.facebook.com/AISportsNutrition
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.23%

Yeah, I know "Stoked" is amazing. I got a libido boost like I never felt before from anything in my life lol...
    just wanted to get a little info on icariin specifically. Thx.
  6. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.55%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity God

Quote Originally Posted by pembroke3355 View Post
    Everyone is reporting the libido boost with Stoked check out strategicmove log
    so did you guys put icariin in stoked just for libido, or do you have anything to back up test boost. not downing stoked, i ran it last month and liked it a lot, will use again. just wanted to see some inf on what icariin does.
  7. AI Sports Nutrition
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.67%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Here is some info on it

Trans-Resveratrol 50% 1200 mg
    Quercetin 95% 1200
    Horny Goat Weed 20% Icariin 500 mg
    Piperine 95% 30mg

Here is his write up:

Trans-Resveratrol
    This compound is like sliced bread to the supplement industry. There are many different health benefits to come from resveratrol, but we picked it up for one in particular. Resveratrol is capable of modulating estrogenic receptors as well as controlling aromatase, giving it that One Two Punch for estrogen control.[2][3] Research has shown its estrogenic modulation capabilities to increase sperm production by stimulating the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis. [1]

Horny Goat Weed:
    Horny Goat Weed (HWG) is a great source of the testosterone mimetic, Icariin. Research on Icariin has shown it to increase circulating testosterone levels as well as improve reproductive organs, making it a great therapeutic for hypoandrogenic states (like right after a steroids cycle). [4]

On top of the testosterone mimetic capabilities of icariin, it also has some very interesting metabolites. In vivo research has shown icariin to metabolize into icaritin and desmethylicaritin. [5] What's great about these guys is the fact that (like resveratrol) are very strong estrogenic receptor antagonists. [6][7]

Quercetin & Piperine:
    Well we've got our pretty sick post cycle therapy stack going here, but there poses one small problem, and that's absorption and bioavailability. Icariin and Resveratrol do not have the greatest bioavailablity in all the land so we gave them a little help with Quercetin and Piperine. Quercetin is used because it is the most potent natural inbitor of estrone sulfanase which degrades compounds like resveratrol. [15] This makes not only aids in absorption, but enhances antiestrogenic activity. Piperine is another addition because it enhances the ability of your intestines to absorb nutrients and phytochemicals. [16] Additionally, piperine may also inhibit the glucuronidase enzyme, another enzyme which degrades resveratrol.[17]

References:
    1.trans-Resveratrol, a natural antioxidant from grapes, increases sperm output in healthy rats. Juan ME, Gonz?lez-Pons E, Munuera T, Ballester J, Rodr?guez-Gil JE, Planas JM. J Nutr. 2005 Apr;135(4):757-60

2.The red wine polyphenol resveratrol displays bilevel inhibition on aromatase in breast cancer cells. Wang Y, Lee KW, Chan FL, Chen S, Leung LK. Toxicol Sci. 2006 Jul;92(1):71-7. Epub 2006 Apr 11

3.Estrogenic and antiestrogenic properties of resveratrol in mammary tumor models.Bhat KP, Lantvit D, Christov K, Mehta RG, Moon RC, Pezzuto JM. Cancer Res. 2001 Oct 15;61(20):7456-63

4.The testosterone mimetic properties of icariin. Zhang ZB, Yang QT. Asian J Androl. 2006 Sep;8(5):601-5. Epub 2006 Jun 5.

5.Determination of rat urinary metabolites of icariin in vivo and estrogenic activities of its metabolites on MCF-7 cells.Liu J, Ye H, Lou Y. Pharmazie. 2005 Feb;60(2):120-5

6.Estrogenic effects of two derivatives of icariin on human breast cancer MCF-7 cells.Ye HY, Lou YJ. Phytomedicine. 2005 Nov;12(10):735-41

7.Preparation of two derivatives from icariin and investigation of their estrogen-like effects.Ye HY, Liu J, Lou YJ.Zhejiang Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban. 2005 Mar;34(2):131-6

8.Inhibition of estrone sulfatase in human liver microsomes by quercetin and other flavonoids.Huang Z, Fasco MJ, Kaminsky LS. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 1997 Sep-Oct;63(1-3):9-15

9.Piperine modulates permeability characteristics of intestine by inducing alterations in membrane dynamics: influence on brush border membrane fluidity, ultrastructure and enzyme kinetics.Khajuria A, Thusu N, Zutshi U. Phytomedicine. 2002 Apr;9(3):224-31

10.Impairment of UDP-glucose dehydrogenase and glucuronidation activities in liver and small intestine of rat and guinea pig in vitro by piperine.Reen RK, Jamwal DS, Taneja SC, Koul JL, Dubey RK, Wiebel FJ, Singh J. Biochem Pharmacol. 1993 Jul 20;46(2):229-38.
  8. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.84%

Outside of the Asian Journal of Andrology, which shows everything to be androgenic or a testosterone mimetic, the more reliable journals show it to be a vasodilator with some of the metabolites having estrogenic activity.
  9. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.55%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity God

Quote Originally Posted by sethroberts View Post
    Outside of the Asian Journal of Andrology, which shows everything to be androgenic or a testosterone mimetic, the more reliable journals show it to be a vasodilator with some of the metabolites having estrogenic activity.
    to be fair i skipped the blackwell asian summary, and went to axxora. i found nothing relating to increase or decrease in testosterone, i did however find an interesting summary of icariin being beneficial in breast cancer treatment. the only evidence of estrogenic activity would be anti-estrogenic.
  10. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.55%

pembrooke, did you run independent tests on icariin as a standalone, and if so what were results?
  11. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.84%

Quote Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
    to be fair i skipped the blackwell asian summary, and went to axxora. i found nothing relating to increase or decrease in testosterone, i did however find an interesting summary of icariin being beneficial in breast cancer treatment. the only evidence of estrogenic activity would be anti-estrogenic.
    Unfortunately, legitimate research on icariin is pretty thin.
  12. AI Sports Nutrition
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.67%

Quote Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
    pembrooke, did you run independent tests on icariin as a standalone, and if so what were results?

No I did not I am a rep for the company I do no research just try to provide info sorry
    Ask me for samples of the new RecoverPRO and Maniac. 3Z is coming July 1st Facebook for more info and maybe a great deal on it coming.
    http://twitter.com/#!/TeamAISports
    http://www.facebook.com/AISportsNutrition
  13. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.55%

Quote Originally Posted by pembroke3355 View Post
    No I did not I am a rep for the company I do no research just try to provide info sorry
    sorry man, didn't want to seem like i was ripping on you. ive read a lot of studies on resveratrol, just wanted to see what role icariin may have played in the results i got from stoked, and how much of it was just the res. human research on icariin does seem limited.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.72%

well since icarin mimics test is it possible that the increased test values can be originated by false-positives?
    I don't understand if it mimics test how can test increase , IMO it should decrese, but I`m not a chemist so I expect one to explain me...
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.27%

drive icariin 50%
    isa test has icariin

animal stak + icariin bulk maybe is better

a cheap libido booster is prolab horny goat weed
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.23%

Quote Originally Posted by xtgear View Post
    well since icarin mimics test is it possible that the increased test values can be originated by false-positives?
    I don't understand if it mimics test how can test increase , IMO it should decrese, but I`m not a chemist so I expect one to explain me...
    I hear what you're saying here...what exactly does "mimics" Testosterone mean? Does it mean that it raises Test levels, or just has similar effects as testosterone without actually raising test..? And what would that actually do to your test levels if thats the case? Would it not only give the positive effects of test but the side effects as well? Icariin definetly makes ya go "hmmmm".
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.72%

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnieFreeze View Post
    I hear what you're saying here...what exactly does "mimics" Testosterone mean? Does it mean that it raises Test levels, or just has similar effects as testosterone without actually raising test..? And what would that actually do to your test levels if thats the case? Would it not only give the positive effects of test but the side effects as well? Icariin definetly makes ya go "hmmmm".
    this was not the first time I asked this question and I never had a good answer to it, whit so many AI reps out there I hope this guys can give it

Similar Forum Threads

1. BEST PCT TEST/LIBIDO BOOSTER TO USE W/SERM
    By kkcinc in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-16-2010, 12:22 AM
  2. natty test booster plus libido booster
    By bboyflash in forum Supplements
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-31-2010, 11:37 AM
  3. Test Booster on Cycle ?? for Libido
    By DaveMcNaul in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11