Phenylethylamine?

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Does anyone have experience with phenylethylamine? Would this be effective to take preworkout to help with focus and concentration?

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, PEA (phenylethylamine) would be great pre-workout. Your gonna need a MAO-B inhibitor to make it effective though. Hordenine should do nicely.

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
Phenylethylamine (PEA) may be a neuromodulator of aminergic synapses and that it promotes energy, elevates mood, and favors aggression. Phenylacetic acid, the main metabolite of PEA, is decreased in the biological fluids of depressed subjects and schizophrenic subjects and is increased in schizoaffective subjects. The administration of PEA or of its precursor L-phenylalanine improves mood in depressed patients treated with a selective monoamine oxidase B inhibitor. The authors speculate that studies of PEA metabolism may have diagnostic value and that PEA administration may be therapeutic in selected depressed patients. It is a chemical related to amphetamines and raises blood pressure and blood glucose levels. The results is that we feel more alert and gives us a sense of well being and contentment. It is believed to work by making the brain release b-endorphin, an opioid peptide which is the driving force behind the pleasurable effects.
It is also known as the "love drug" and is thought be be the reason why chocolate (its in chocolate) is said to be an aphrodisiac. As a chemical it that mimics the brain chemistry of a person in love, so when levels of phenylethylamine are high in the body it relieves depression from unrequited love.

Neuron

Neuron

Awards
Yeah, PEA (phenylethylamine) would be great pre-workout. Your gonna need a MAO-B inhibitor to make it effective though. Hordenine should do nicely.
Hordenine is not an MAO-B Inhibitor.

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
Hordenine is not an MAO-B Inhibitor.
Indeed you are correct. Upon further research, there are no studies with Hordenine that prove its mao-b inhibiting qualities.

However, I don't think the prescription drug Selegiline (deprenyl) would be the best choice for someone who is simply looking for an increase in energy/focus pre-wo.

Neuron

Neuron

Awards
Indeed you are correct. Upon further research, there are no studies with Hordenine that prove its mao-b inhibiting qualities.

However, I don't think the prescription drug Selegiline (deprenyl) would be the best choice for someone who is simply looking for an increase in energy/focus pre-wo.
I agree in such cases other compounds are more proven for energy and focus.

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
Deamination of hordenine by monoamine oxidase and its action on vasa deferentia of the rat.

Barwell CJ, Basma AN, Lafi MA, Leake LD.

School of Pharmacy, Portsmouth Polytechnic, Hampshire, UK.

The selectivity of the naturally occurring amine, N,N-dimethyltyramine (hordenine) for monoamine oxidase (MAO) and its action upon isolated vasa deferentia of the rat was investigated. Hordenine was deaminated by rat liver MAO with a Michaelis constant of 479 microM and maximum velocity of 128 nmol (mg protein)-1 h-1 compared with 144 microM and 482 nmol (mg protein)-1 h-1 for tyramine. Studies, with selective irreversible inhibitors of MAO, showed that hordenine was a highly selective substrate for MAO-B of liver and that it was not deaminated by the MAO-A of intestinal epithelium. In contrast to tyramine, hordenine did not produce contractions of isolated vasa deferentia. However, 25 microM hordenine potentiated contractile responses of vasa, from control animals, to submaximal doses of noradrenaline and inhibited responses to tyramine. It did not alter responses, to noradrenaline, of vasa denervated by chronic pretreatment of rats with guanethidine. Therefore, it appears that hordenine acted as an inhibitor of noradrenaline uptake, in isolated vasa deferentia. These results indicate that dietary-hordenine is unlikely to be deaminated by intestinal MAO as this is predominantly MAO-A. Consequently, it is likely to be absorbed and could affect the sympathetic nervous system, by virtue of its action as an inhibitor of noradrenaline uptake.

It definitely works but the tabs are underdosed IMO. It took me 4-6 caps to feel effects. And though the effects were pretty potent - they were also short lived, maybe 30 minutes max.

Neuron

Neuron

Awards
It definitely works but the tabs are underdosed IMO. It took me 4-6 caps to feel effects. And though the effects were pretty potent - they were also short lived, maybe 30 minutes max.
Hordenine is an effective substrate for MAO-B just like PEA is. Taking them together will probably increase levels of one of them over the other for a short time. However when PEA is taken with a MAO-B inhibitor like deprenyl the effects last most of the day and requires only 10-100 mg or so of PEA.

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
Yeah obviously prescription drugs are gonna work better than herbals. I thought of trying Deprenyl before, but I try not to self medicate with prescriptions.

Neuron

Neuron

Awards
Yeah obviously prescription drugs are gonna work better than herbals. I thought of trying Deprenyl before, but I try not to self medicate with prescriptions.
The safely of any compound is based more on the user than the legal or medical status of a compound. However some people are not informed enough to properly use any compound including supplements. In those cases they should stay away from otc drugs and vitamin least they kill themselves in their stupidity.

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
The safely of any compound is based more on the user than the legal or medical status of a compound. However some people are not informed enough to properly use any compound including supplements. In those cases they should stay away from otc drugs and vitamin least they kill themselves in their stupidity.
Right, I'd never take anything that effects the CNS without needing it.