Okay, so I bonked BIG TIME at the gym today...

KrazyLegs

Awards
So much so that I had to run out after 30 minutes and get something to eat. Never had that happen before. As TdF commentator Phil Liggett would say: His elastic has totally snapped!

I'm pretty sure it had to do with the fact that this was the first time I used AP before a workout. I think I seriously underestimated it's potency. Here's what I stacked:

75 minutes before WO: 3 Drive/3 RPM
45 minutes before: 1 AP
20 minutes before: about 30g of rolled oats
10 minutes before: 1 dose of Rag

I was totally rocking cardio for about 30 minutes...then I felt lightheaded, insatiably hungry and lethargic. BONK CITY! Crash and burn! I think this is the "mental confusion" side effect that UPS warns about. I'm guessing that I seriously underdosed my post-AP carb session. When it happened, I wanted to crush about 10 Big Macs, but instead wolfed down some quick-acting carbs (PowerBars).

The problem is that I wanted to stay relatively light on my pre-WO meal so that the Rag would still be effective.

Has this happened to anybody else using AP? Anything I should adjust on my stack or should I just jack up my complex carb intake prior to WO?

It wasn't a fun experience, and I don't want a repeat any time soon.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
I would cut a banana into the oats, or eat an apple. IMO it was the low carbs that made you feel like that. AP is designed to be taken with alot more than 30g of carbs. I definetely understand about trying to keep a pre-wo meal light, and I don't think the banana or apple should really keep you down at all....they will actually help you greatly I would think. Give it a try bro see what works for you!

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've found that a way to cheat and not have to stuff your face with 70g of carbs is to have some juice before workout with a normal dose of carbs. This will stave off the hypoglycemia and keep you feeling normal throughout your exercises.

KrazyLegs

Awards
Okay...I'll try a little fruit and or fruit juice before my w/o tomorrow with the rolled oats. Thanks!

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Um, aren't you possibly taking AP too close to your workout? Everything that I've read and what I've found to work best for me is to take it 15 minutes before my meal, 1 hour before I train.

That said, 30g of oats is a really low about of carbs to be using with AP. I try to get in at least 1 cup, 54g carbs, as well as a piece of fruit. One hour later I'm right for flight, ready to take on the world.

This is just my 2 cents from looking at your dosage. As an afterthought, oats are a slower digesting carb so you'd generally want to wait a little longer anyway for them to get worked in to your system.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
I'm telling you man, arginine ethyl ester is this shizznit for endurance when low carbing. I'm taking it pre-workout and I'm low carb. usually I'd go hypo, but I can rip through cardio and weights on less than 50g carbs/day. BAM! Just get it in capped form.