• Creatine Monohydrate

Votes: 123 63.1%
  • Creatine Ethyl Ester

Votes: 46 23.6%

• Total voters
packers1200

packers1200

Awards
which form of creatine do you use or is the best? also best bang for buck?

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
:gotsearch

bud, there are a TON of threads on this...

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
but, creatine mono is cheap and proven to work

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
best bang for your buck creatine without a doubt is Mono

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ester creatine is bad for the kidneys. I have never been let down by monohydrate.

cantstop19

Awards
i liike ethyl ester and i would say best bang for your buck would be crealean2 everybody has their on own opinion

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I like DiM-C and Mono combined. This works best for me. CEE is a waste of time, IMO. People complain about bloat with Mono, but luckily I have not had this side.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Otori

Awards
monohydrate. Cheaper then dirt, zero taste, proven effective in hundreds of studies.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
I'd say Creatine mono. Used to take the caps then got the powder and just mix it with water. Powder doesn't seem to disolve properly though, even if i put a little more water than recommended there still seems to be a little bit of powder at the bottom of the glass.

Worth going back onto the capsules?

Pound4Pound

Pound4Pound

Awards
I only used micronized monohydrate. CEE didn't do anything for me.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
I find they are good at different things. Creatine Mono definitely gives the biggest size advantage for me b/c I retain quite a bit of water while on it and get VERY good strength gains. I find the CEE and Tricreatine-Malate didn't give me quite as good as strength gains as mono, but I retained far less water weight. I like mono during my winter months when bulking and such. Then a less water retaining one like CEE or Malate when I want to look less bloaty.

Just my .02

I voted Mono in the poll though.

terminator

terminator

Awards
Tri-Creatine di-methyl-malate-ester-gluconate I heard is the best one to take.

or maybe just monohydrate.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
IvyLeaguePump

IvyLeaguePump

Awards
I dont come here often, but this is always a new question being posed by someone....

:gotsearch

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
Ester creatine is bad for the kidneys. I have never been let down by monohydrate.
Ever had bloodwork while using it.........I'm guessing No.
that's an interesting comment, care to elaborate? I'd hate to be punching myself in the kidneys and not know it...
I like CEE too because mono makes me nauseous as well as bloat,
but I have a feeling that the reduction in sides from CEE is flat out because CEE is less effective. Somewhere here on the boards, an independant study was finally posted on mono vs CEE claiming CEE was only 60something % as effective.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Ok, how the hell can any of these other versions of creatine be 'better' when they all originate from creatine monohydrate with some kind of weird attachment ?

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Can you say CEE helped me win the Mr. Olympia ?

LatSpread

LatSpread

Awards
  • Established
dicreatine malate gets my vote out of those listed, but you cant go wrong with c-mono due to the years of studies backing it.

I've responded to very low dosed kre alk (1.5g/day) and have used magnesium creatine many times in good products (Green mag, nos ether, etc)

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

poacher

Awards
  • Established
Well maybe, just maybe creatine is a little over hyped. But I know I have seen guys move hUUge weights taking just creatine. Some benching as high as 225 and for reps to boot. That cant be hype

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
225 for reps isn't that big of a deal. That's not heavy.

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
I have always followed the theory that it doesn't matter how much you lift if you can't lift it correctly.
That being said. I crap 225.

poacher

Awards
  • Established
OOOooooch. That must hurt. Think I would rather lift it

Fever

Awards
I like DiM-C and Mono combined. This works best for me. CEE is a waste of time, IMO. People complain about bloat with Mono, but luckily I have not had this side.
The "bloat" is due to the excess water retention caused by taking Creatine...and the whole point of taking it! So when people say that they don't get any bloat with CEE can you even say then that its actually working!?!?

Anyway that to one side CEE is bad news, what TripDog has said is bang on....watch your kidneys!!!

If your going to take it, Mono all the way, everytime!

krazy

Awards
Alright. I did a search and didnt find anything conclusive so Im posing it here..

Doesnt creatine **** your liver up?

As far as I remember, clinical trials resulted in finding that creatine supplementation -> creatinine and, bottom line, high creatinine are bad for your liver.

I dont understand how this process changed in the past few years...

Begin the flaming but keep it factual (ie gimmie some clinical studies supporting your claim).

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
CEE is bad news...I wouldn't advise people to take anything with it in!
oh. ok.

Well you guys heard the man. ;)

P.S.~ The reformulation of Neovar doesn't have CEE, but I still disagree with your stance. To each his own.

Fever

Awards
oh. ok.

Well you guys heard the man. ;)

P.S.~ The reformulation of Neovar doesn't have CEE, but I still disagree with your stance. To each his own.
Of course, your totally welcome to disagree, I'd just rather pass on the correct information to the members that are lead to believe you need all the fancy Creatine formulas that include this and do that!

Bottom line, find a product that is pure creatine, no other ingredients. If one serving is a 70cc scoop then you're wasting your money on marketing from their "advanced delivery systems".

Raw creatine currently comes from three countries: China, Germany and the United States. Germany produces some of the purest creatine on the market, so find a product that displays the creapure logo.

Summary
1) Creapure logo
2) Creatine monohydrate and little or nothing else
3) best price you can find

Its really that simple!

poacher

Awards
  • Established
I have had ZERO results taking craetine without a delivery system. I have tried creapure to. I swore i was done with creatine but was talked into trying Size on. It is working for me. I wish just creatine Mono worked for me.

Deccadick

Deccadick

Awards
this discussion topic has been beaten to death so many times.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
I have had ZERO results taking craetine without a delivery system. I have tried creapure to. I swore i was done with creatine but was talked into trying Size on. It is working for me. I wish just creatine Mono worked for me.
I'm not disagreeing, but have you ever tried taken creatine monohydrate with some simple sugars like grape juice, dextrose, or waxy maize starch? It's my understanding that most of these "delivery systems" are just simple sugars anyway. Just a suggestion if you're looking to save money.

poacher

Awards
  • Established
No I havent tried it like you mentioned. That looks like it is worth a try. Appreciate that tip

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
Alright. I did a search and didnt find anything conclusive so Im posing it here..

As far as I remember, clinical trials resulted in finding that creatine supplementation -> creatinine and, bottom line, high creatinine are bad for your liver.

Begin the flaming but keep it factual (ie gimmie some clinical studies supporting your claim).
There is absolutely zero evidence of creatine monohydrate causing liver damage in strength training athletes. Any studies (from a LONG time ago, mind you) that showed any kind of internal distress from creatine supplementation were involving elderly subjects in hospital beds. So the results don't apply.

TrulyHuge

TrulyHuge

Awards
Just get EXCEEEED !!!!!!!!!!!!! Mono is just a bloat an than you loose it after , its a waste ...

joeflex73

joeflex73

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

Ive seen this question popup on a few boards, I have yet to read or see any studies that say that creatine supplementation messes with liver or kidney function UNLESS you have a pre existing condition.

I hold out with what I said above, CM is the way to go. Its cheap and effective and not just bloat. Read the studies that have been coming out for the last 10 or 15 years. Here's 2 examples stacked against CEE and Kre-alkalyn (posted on another site by str8flexed)

Child R1 and Tallon MJ2

1Department of Life Sciences, Kingston University, Penrhyn Rd, Kingston-upon-Thames, United Kingdom. 2University of Northumbria, Sport Sciences, Northumbria University, Northumberland Building, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, [email protected]

Creatine ethyl ester (CEE) is a commercially available synthetic creatine that is now widely used in dietary supplements. It comprises of creatine with an ethyl group attached and this molecular configuration is reported to provide several advantages over creatine monohydrate (CM). The Medical Research Institute (CA, USA) claim that the CEE in their product (CE2) provides greater solubility in lipids, leading to improved absorption. Similarly San (San Corporation, CA, USA) claim that the CEE in their product (San CM2 Alpha) avoids the breakdown of creatine to creatinine in stomach acids. Ultimately it is claimed that CEE products provide greater absorption and efficacy than CM. To date, none of these claims have been evaluated by an independent, or university laboratory and no comparative data are available on CEE and CM.

This study assessed the availability of creatine from three commercial creatine products during degradation in acidic conditions similar to those that occur in the stomach. They comprised of two products containing CEE (San CM2 Alpha and CE2) and commercially available CM (Creapure?). An independent laboratory, using testing guidelines recommended by the United States Pharmacopeia (USP), performed the analysis. Each product was incubated in 900ml of pH 1 HCL at 37? 1oC and samples where drawn at 5, 30 and 120 minutes. Creatine availability was assessed by immediately assaying for free creatine, CEE and the creatine breakdown product creatinine, using HPLC (UV)

After 30 minutes incubation only 73% of the initial CEE present was available from CE2, while the amount of CEE available from San CM2 Alpha was even lower at only 62%. In contrast, more than 99% of the creatine remained available from the CM product. These reductions in CEE availability were accompanied by substantial creatinine formation, without the appearance of free creatine. After 120minutes incubation 72% of the CEE was available from CE2 with only 11% available from San CM2 Alpha, while more than 99% of the creatine remained available from CM.

CEE is claimed to provide several advantages over CM because of increased solubility and stability. In practice, the addition of the ethyl group to creatine actually reduces acid stability and accelerates its breakdown to creatinine. This substantially reduces creatine availability in its esterified form and as a consequence creatines such as San CM2 and CE2 are inferior to CM as a source of free creatine.

Tallon MJ1 and Child R2

1University of Northumbria, Sport Sciences, Northumbria University, Northumberland Building, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, 2Department of Life Sciences, Kingston University, Penrhyn Rd, Kingston-upon-Thames, United Kingdom. [email protected]

All American Pharmaceutical and Natural Foods Corp. (Billings, MT, USA) claim that Kre-alkalyn? (KA) a ?Buffered? creatine, is 100% stable in stomach acid and does not convert to creatinine. In contrast, they also claim that creatine monohydrate (CM) is highly pH labile with more than 90% of the creatine converting to the degradation product creatinine in stomach acids. To date, no independent or university laboratory has evaluated the stability of KA in stomach acids, assessed its possible conversion to creatinine, or made direct comparisons of acid stability with CM.

This study examined whether KA supplementation reduced the rate of creatine conversion to creatinine, relative to commercially available CM (Creapure?). Creatine products were analyzed by an independent commercial laboratory using testing guidelines recommended by the United States Pharmacopeia (USP). Each product was incubated in 900ml of pH 1 HCL at 37? 1oC and samples where drawn at 5, 30 and 120 minutes and immediately analyzed by HPLC (UV) for creatine and creatinine.

In contrast to the claims of All American Pharmaceutical and Natural Foods Corp., the rate of creatinine formation from CM was found to be less than 1% of the initial dose, demonstrating that CM is extremely stable under acidic conditions that replicate those of the stomach. This study also showed that KA supplementation actually resulted in 35% greater conversion of creatine to creatinine than CM. In conclusion the conversion of creatine to creatinine is not a limitation in the delivery of creatine from CM and KA is less stable than CM in the acid conditions of the stomach.