BCAA powder...I gotta vent

Beandorf

Beandorf

Awards
Im sitting here mixing CGT-max creatine/glutamine/taurine mix (I say this cuz people always ask what it is :p) with BCAA powder and I must say everytime I mix this stuff I want to club a baby seal...This powder does not absorb for crap! lol...it floats at the top after 4 and a half hours of stirring...sticks to the side of the cup and spoon...GAAAAHHHH!!!!! and it takes like my cooking. Any ideas? :p ived mixed it with propell and gatorate but im broke and cant be dumping propells and gatorades all day

packers1200

packers1200

Awards
i had the same problem with another supplement and i also have one of those magic bullet mixers and it does the job. try a mixer.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Im sitting here mixing CGT-max creatine/glutamine/taurine mix (I say this cuz people always ask what it is :p) with BCAA powder and I must say everytime I mix this stuff I want to club a baby seal...This powder does not absorb for crap! lol...it floats at the top after 4 and a half hours of stirring...sticks to the side of the cup and spoon...GAAAAHHHH!!!!! and it takes like my cooking. Any ideas? :p ived mixed it with propell and gatorate but im broke and cant be dumping propells and gatorades all day
throw a little packet of crystal light in there.. give it like 5 mins max.. Helps A LOT.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
or just put it straight into your mouth and wash it down with some water... problem solved with no hassle!

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
This why I personally enjoy Xtend, mixability and taste are excellent!

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
or just put it straight into your mouth and wash it down with some water... problem solved with no hassle!
that's gonna depend on how much you use. Many people use upwards of 10 grams at a time.. dumping that much powder into your mouth just isn't going to work (I've tried, and failed.. lol).

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Easiest thing to do with BCAA's is mix them up the night before. By morning they'l be disolved. They just taste like ass thats all.

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
This why I personally enjoy Xtend, mixability and taste are excellent!
Mixibility is one of the reasons why I favor Xtend, Swell, Core ABC, PW etc.

You could use a blender to mix them but that will cause a lot of foaming. I would just dump it into a jug or gatorade bottle and shake vigorously. Let it sit and do it again and is should mix fairly consistently. But this is one of the reason why I dislike bulks despite the costs savings. They are as convienent and not always worth the $$$ savings IMO.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try some lemon juice. Lowering the pH helps improve solubility of AA's. I use this trick when I want to get my leucine in water, but most of the time I just throw it in my mouth dry and try and swallow, it's not easy but I find it requires less overall effort. Mixing the night before is also a great idea.

I actually haven't had to deal with this for a while since I jumped off the BCAA bandwagon 2 months or so ago after some illuminating reading.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
that's gonna depend on how much you use. Many people use upwards of 10 grams at a time.. dumping that much powder into your mouth just isn't going to work (I've tried, and failed.. lol).

:think:

Why take 10 grams at once? Why not two 5 grams shots? Or five 2 grams?

Just sayin'....

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
Try some lemon juice. Lowering the pH helps improve solubility of AA's. I use this trick when I want to get my leucine in water, but most of the time I just throw it in my mouth dry and try and swallow, it's not easy but I find it requires less overall effort. Mixing the night before is also a great idea.

I actually haven't had to deal with this for a while since I jumped off the BCAA bandwagon 2 months or so ago after some illuminating reading.
^^^^^^^^^
right there.. beat me to it!

also... use WARM or room temp water. i put 24g in a liter water bottle, and its 90% dissolved within 5 minutes

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I jumped off the BCAA bandwagon 2 months or so ago after some illuminating reading.
I never got on that wagon and probably never will.I was wondering about them and all then read in Dave Palumbos column in MD.A guy was asking about bcaa's and if they're a good idea and all.Dave Palumbo said that protien is the most complete and abundant form of amino acids.So as long as you are consuming protien every 2-3 hrs,theirs no need to supplement with select amino acids.

Some say to take them before a wo and all.I do!Just in the form of protien drinks with some carbs.Then creatine mixed in afterwards.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
I've been thinking about buying some BCAA in powder form and started to get discouraged at first but now I'll trying it w/ a little lemon juice and at room temperature.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've been thinking about buying some BCAA in powder form and started to get discouraged at first but now I'll trying it w/ a little lemon juice and at room temperature.
Thats funny to me after my quote and post!

truckdaddy

truckdaddy

Awards
thats a good sign....means it has real BCAAs in it.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
Thats funny to me after my quote and post!
I'm in the camp that there's benefits in consuming extra bcaa's and I dont like taking 5 caps 2 - 3 times a day... i'd rather mix it with my drinks

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm in the camp that there's benefits in consuming extra bcaa's and I dont like taking 5 caps 2 - 3 times a day... i'd rather mix it with my drinks
Thats completely fine.My point though is if you want to get more bcaa's,eat more of the most important nutrient to a bb'r.Protien.It is the most complete and abundant form of amino acids.I would drink extra protien shakes my self,but to each his own.Many love bcaa's.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
often time you get extra cals, carbs, sugar with anythign but BCAAs. I like them, i dont use them regularly maybe 2-3 months at a time.

Flex Daddy

Awards
Quick answer... INSTANTIZED BCAA's at true protein

Vinny

Awards
i had the same problem with another supplement and i also have one of those magic bullet mixers and it does the job. try a mixer.

I agree Magic Bullet or regular blender and I dont care what it is problem solved ofcourse you need to drink it right away before it seperates but everything mixes in MB or blender .

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
could you expand on this illuminating reading?

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My illuminating reading was expanded on in post #14.

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
My illuminating reading was expanded on in post #14.
wow. my bad. i even read that post. in one ear out the other i guess haha. do you happen to remember which issue? hopefully i have it.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
wow. my bad. i even read that post. in one ear out the other i guess haha. do you happen to remember which issue? hopefully i have it.
Well I literaly have like 15 laying around and have actually lost one,and had my dog chew some others when he was young.(I love the mag)I'll look though since I can check and see what page his column is on.If not,no way!I wouldn't be looking through multiple 400+page mags!I seem to remeber the answer being basically what I said though.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I looked and didn't see it.I have a pretty vivid memory on certain things and I would bet my life that he said exactly what I said.I remeber thinking i didn't know that,and one less supplement I have to buy.I seen where two people in 2 different mags asked what supps are a must and he said some type of fruit thing vitamin,fish oil,and a calcium magnesium supp cause protien leaches those out of the body.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
mix in something else with it. NO shotgun does the same exact thing, so i usually take and hit it with a splash of diet coke and then just watch it settle in. it's magic!!!

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
I looked and didn't see it.I have a pretty vivid memory on certain things and I would bet my life that he said exactly what I said.I remeber thinking i didn't know that,and one less supplement I have to buy.I seen where two people in 2 different mags asked what supps are a must and he said some type of fruit thing vitamin,fish oil,and a calcium magnesium supp cause protien leaches those out of the body.
i remember reading that one. the fruit thing was like a drink to replace veggies i think actually. to get your servings of greens and stuff. and i believe i have that issue. ill have to look over it again. thanks for that link too Steveoph. im gonna give that a read when i get back from the gym.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i remember reading that one. the fruit thing was like a drink to replace veggies i think actually. to get your servings of greens and stuff. and i believe i have that issue. ill have to look over it again. thanks for that link too Steveoph. im gonna give that a read when i get back from the gym.
No problem. I like the roundtable discussions because they give an opportunity to hear a variety of opinions on the same subject simultaneous, which lets me compare them better.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think they're pills actually.I seen him mention it in two different ones.I believe one where the guy was asking what an all natural bb'r should take,and the other for what he suggested as must supps.I think they're pills that have the daily servings without the sugar and carbs and all that.I'll prob look into them for the exact reason he suggested them.Most bb'rs are focused on carbs and protiens and fruits and veggies get pushed aside.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
:woohoo: I said to myself here we go again,but found this one right away!It's called juice plus+(info is available on his(dave palumbo)website)A nutrient dense product that provides the equivalent of 12 servings of fruits and veggies in four capsules with no sugar or fiber.

Beandorf

Beandorf

Awards
mix in something else with it. NO shotgun does the same exact thing, so i usually take and hit it with a splash of diet coke and then just watch it settle in. it's magic!!!
That worked like a charm...weird tho I wonder why...something in it? thx dude

RNS

Awards
Taking bcaa's/eaa's isn't the same as taking more protein, free form amino acids have different properties than complete proteins, and can be pretty beneficial, mainly surrounding the workout and throughout the day during a large calorie deficit

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Taking bcaa's/eaa's isn't the same as taking more protein, free form amino acids have different properties than complete proteins, and can be pretty beneficial, mainly surrounding the workout and throughout the day during a large calorie deficit
If you have a large calorie deficit during the day..........nevermind.If you people want to spend extra money on what you should be getting plenty of with your morning and post wo shake,and meals every 2-3 hours,then go ahead.

jdev

Awards
  • Established
I had some CNW leucine that I tried to mix into water for about a month. It didn't dissolve. I ended up getting Xtend. Xtend mixes really well in about 2 minutes. Also i think NP has the same exact BCAAs in bulk that are in Xtend so they should mix the same (especially with a little added citric acid)

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
If you have a large calorie deficit during the day..........nevermind.If you people want to spend extra money on what you should be getting plenty of with your morning and post wo shake,and meals every 2-3 hours,then go ahead.
Dude, you keep putting that out there like its the conversation stopper.. But its not. Complete proteins, EAA's and BCAA's have different effects on muscles. Its not as simple as just increasing your protein intake and saying its the same... Some info on AA's will follow.

Here is the amino acid profile (listed in mgs) of 25 grams of a typical (some will vary) hydrolyzed whey protein powder:
Amino Acid Name Amino Acid Profile
Alanine-----------1115 (1.115g)
Arginine----------407.5
Aspartic Acid-----2550
Cystine-----------525
Glutamic Acid----4095
Glycine-----------367.5
Histidine---------363.75
Isoleucine--------1562.5
Leucine-----------2236.25
Lysine------------2268.75
Methionine-------440
Phenylalanine----491.25
Proline------------1363
Serine------------1027.5
Threonine--------1727.5
Tryptophan-------337.5
Tyrosine----------1435
Valine------------1326.25
Total Amio Acids: 23639.25 mg (23.63925 grams)
Total EAA: 10753.75 mg (10.75375 grams)~ 45.5%
Total NEAA: 12885.5 mg (12.8855 grams)~ 54.5%
Total BCAA: 5125 mg (5.125 grams)~ 21.7%
As you can see, hydrolyzed whey protein is close to 50% EAA and 50% NEAA.
In order to get the amount of EAA and BCAA that we need to ensure growth, a large serving of this whey needs to be consumed.

NEAA Are Not Needed
Research studies have shown time and time again that NEAA are not needed to stimulate protein synthesis when the EAA are consumed [16, 17, 18]. A study showed that consuming NEAA did not increase protein synthesis while consuming EAA did in fact increase protein synthesis[18]. A single six-gram serving of EAA is more than twice as effective as two, six-gram servings of mixed amino acids (EAA and NEAA) in increasing protein synthesis [17, 19]. A 200% increase in protein synthesis was observed due to EAA available after resistance exercise[22].
It has been shown that exercising after ingestion of an EAA drink maintained intracellular levels of NEAA. This showed that NEAA availability did not limit protein synthesis. The intracellular pool of amino acids were increased with EAA supplementation, but not with supplementation of EAA + NEAA[16], meaning when EAA are consumed, they go into the cells. This is in part due to EAA absorption speed. EAA are the fastest absorbed of all amino acids[20]. All these facts show that half of the amino acids we consume from the whey protein are needed for increased anabolic activity. All these benefits were seen just with the ingestion of 6 grams of EAA.

So not the same, if you ask me. And I feel a lot better recovery wise after I drink my xtend, than if I just used protein shakes. So Id say BCAA do more than complete proteins as well just from my personal experience.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I wonder how I have managed to gain 50lbs without bcaa's maverick?I wonder how the bb'rs back in the day did it?I also wonder why people rave on about how protien is so important,yet never say select bcaa's are a must?It's alwyas protien,multi,and fish oil.Possibly with some creatine as must haves.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just incase you missed it maverick.........But i'm guessing they're wrong and so is dave palumbo and others with common sence.This isn't a complicated matter.It's plain and simple. :frustrate The only somewhat arguable pro for using bcaa's is if you are in a calorie deficit state,you can take them without increasing calories.People in general need to learn how to eat instead of looking for the magic pill!

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
I wonder how I have managed to gain 50lbs without bcaa's maverick?I wonder how the bb'rs back in the day did it?

People in general need to learn how to eat instead of looking for the magic pill!
:think:From the guy using roids right now... Its the roids man, the roids. You know, those magic pills youre logging...

From that round table... Layne Norton is on my side, and I like him better than all those other guys.

But I like eating the xtend powder and washing it down with water.. I thought it was weird at first, but got used to it. Im too lazy to plug in my magic bullet every time.

RNS

Awards
I wonder how I have managed to gain 50lbs without bcaa's maverick?I wonder how the bb'rs back in the day did it?I also wonder why people rave on about how protien is so important,yet never say select bcaa's are a must?It's alwyas protien,multi,and fish oil.Possibly with some creatine as must haves.

what does that have to do with any of this? If we're going to compare our resources to theirs then we might as well delete all of these forums and just have a nutrition forum. Who's calling free form aa's a must? They can help, and just like ANY supplement they aren't necessary.

Since people could get in shape and build muscle before protein powders does that mean we should not utilize it even though it's available? If anything I would buy free form aa's over whey protein, shoot all I have to do is microwave a frozen chicken breast and I have my complete protein right there, nowhere to get free form aa's from food. And as stated above, I'll stick with soon to be Dr. Norton's word on aa's.

jsp0882

Banned
Awards
  • Established
what does that have to do with any of this? If we're going to compare our resources to theirs then we might as well delete all of these forums and just have a nutrition forum. Who's calling free form aa's a must? They can help, and just like ANY supplement they aren't necessary.

Since people could get in shape and build muscle before protein powders does that mean we should not utilize it even though it's available? If anything I would buy free form aa's over whey protein, shoot all I have to do is microwave a frozen chicken breast and I have my complete protein right there, nowhere to get free form aa's from food. And as stated above, I'll stick with soon to be Dr. Norton's word on aa's.

And some people have a lot better genetics than others. Comparing regular people to body builders is stupid. So isn't comparing people now to those people. Most are bigger stronger and faster because of better diets and supplement. I think every one knows they aren't nessecary but we all know they can be of a benefit

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
if you are in a calorie deficit state,you can take them without increasing calories.
And I wouldnt be so certain about that statement you just made either.. They cant be labeled as calories because they arent whole proteins. But 20 grams of amino acids chained together making up 20 protein grams equal 80 calories, so why would 20 grams of amino acids in free form not also equal 80 calories? Its actually not that simple either, but the point should have been made. The FDA doesnt recognize a gram of amino acids as the same as a gram of protein, but aa's cant be counted as nothing either.

jsp0882

Banned
Awards
  • Established

a lot of people say leucine is a must when dieting don't they? according to muscle tech is the holy grail of body building to keep u anabolic 24 hours a day.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
:think:From the guy using roids right now... Its the roids man, the roids. You know, those magic pills youre logging...

From that round table... Layne Norton is on my side, and I like him better than all those other guys.

But I like eating the xtend powder and washing it down with water.. I thought it was weird at first, but got used to it. Im too lazy to plug in my magic bullet every time.
I wasn't too far from the size I am now before I used a designer.Also i just got back to my previous size with this cycle after my first failed cut.I lost 13lbs in 13 days.So you can imagine a good chunk of that was muscle.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
And I wouldnt be so certain about that statement you just made either.. They cant be labeled as calories because they arent whole proteins. But 20 grams of amino acids chained together making up 20 protein grams equal 80 calories, so why wouldnt 20 grams of amino acids in free form not also equal 80 calories? Its actually not that simple either, but the point should have been made. The FDA doesnt recognize a gram of amino acids as the same as a gram of protein, but aa's cant be counted as nothing either.
I read someone say that is why I said it.I'm not saying any supplement is a must.I can see how you guys would think that from my one statement,but if you people have been following along you would see that I pointed out many times that you get plenty of bcaa's from food.Some prob get too much.If you want to use them then go ahead.It's just one thing I won't get sucked into.When I "need" to grow I eat more food,and sometimes take some designers. :lol: .I know thats what it comes down to is food.Even if you're using growth,slin,and test.It all comes down to food.Anyone who says different is jealous cause they don't have what it takes to grow.Which is to eat like it's your job.