L-Arginine and conversion to Glucose/Glycogen

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I was researching some l-arginine information and came across a statement saying arginine can be used converted to glucose as well as glycogen if needed. However then with further research I found studies saying that arginine was found to significantly increase glucose clearance in humans (L-Arginine infusion increases glucose clearance during prolonged exercise in humans -- McConell et al. 290 (1): E60 -- AJP - Endocrinology and Metabolism). This study Arginine was also infused into individuals while exercising if that would make a difference between orally taking it.

Question being does anyone know the effect of arginine on blood glucose and more importantly glycogen storage in muscles? Only reason I am concerned is with a CKD it would be important to know if it had the potential to store as glycogen and effectively inhibit glycogen depletion. I don't specifically take l-arginine but it is an ingredient in RPM which I was planning on taking during the beginning of my CKD (granted the dose is probably to small but figured I would ask.)

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Very cool thanks for the link. the complex with Arginine in RPM is 500 mg (or 2 g with my intake) so I figure the amount of Arginine in the RPM will be a non issue. I will check with th ketostix after 1 week to see how its going.