airorne scam

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This is exactly what I am talking about. So many companys making false clams or making false products.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?cl=6785169
CURRENT CASE STATUS

A Settlement has been proposed in a class action lawsuit that alleges that Airborne Health, Inc. (and other defendants) (“Airborne”) falsely advertised certain therapeutic properties, including the ability to cure or prevent the common cold, when marketing products under the Airborne brand name, as listed below. Defendants deny any wrongdoing or illegal conduct but have agreed to settle the litigation. This website provides information on the lawsuit and proposed Settlement. Click here to download the complete Settlement Agreement.

(borrowed)

On November 29, 2007, the District Court for the Central District of California entered an order preliminarily approving the proposed Settlement.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If youv seen my posts in the past and a few other board members posts qustioning some of the products on the board you see why. This happens all the time. The video said the study was done in some persons house and the guy did not even graduate from the school lol. That is why I say a product needs to be study. Not the raw materials. Any one can make a claim on vitamin C or this or that but what about the actual product.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
DSHEA would be spinning in his grave if he were a person and not an acronym.

anabolicstate

anabolicstate

Awards
"We don't know if Airborne is a cure for the common cold."

How are you not going to know if your product does what it claims to do? This is very upsetting because it addresses the fact that many other companies, specifically nutrition companies, can be making specific claims but in actuality, be scamming the consumer due to the fact that it is not clear if the effectiveness of the product is substantiated.

What got me about that news story was the end part where the reporter mentions: "Dietary supplements do not have to be prove that they work as long as they don't make specific claims." The majority of supplement companies do just that--make big claims. I recently went to VitaminShoppe to re-stock on my protein bars and I realized that marketing is one of the biggest strategies for company to get the consumer's attention and eventually, the consumer's purchase. Fancy designs, elaborate wording, and creative names, all these things tie into the psychological aspect of business. It's scary to think that many are being "lured" into their purchases. It's almost like they're brainwashed.:eek:

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dietary supplements do not have to be prove that they work as long as they don't make specific claims.

Dietary supplements do not have to be prove that they work as long as they don't make specific claims.

My point exactly. With out a published study on the actual product and not a study done in a house or a IN HOUSE STUDY that is not published I question every company. I can't wait till 2010 when the FDA starts to regulate compans. I hope they do.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
"We don't know if Airborne is a cure for the common cold."

How are you not going to know if your product does what it claims to do? This is very upsetting because it addresses the fact that many other companies, specifically nutrition companies, can be making specific claims but in actuality, be scamming the consumer due to the fact that it is not clear if the effectiveness of the product is substantiated.

What got me about that news story was the end part where the reporter mentions: "Dietary supplements do not have to be prove that they work as long as they don't make specific claims." The majority of supplement companies do just that--make big claims. I recently went to VitaminShoppe to re-stock on my protein bars and I realized that marketing is one of the biggest strategies for company to get the consumer's attention and eventually, the consumer's purchase. Fancy designs, elaborate wording, and creative names, all these things tie into the psychological aspect of business. It's scary to think that many are being "lured" into their purchases. It's almost like they're brainwashed.:eek:
Google DSHEA young one. Supp companies can't say their products can cure, treat, or prevent anything. They can use helper actions such as help, support, maintain, etc.

"Under this provision, any claims to prevent, treat, or cure a specific disease are expressly prohibited (unless approved by the FDA)"

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If every company had to do a publsihed study on there product, over 80-90% of companys would be out of business. Why? Ether there product is bogus like policosanol supplements which iv seen studys showing it useless or this airbone topic or the company is not big enough /good enough to do a study and get it publishd due to cost. I saw the post from another person that got taken down about a 20 year study showing people had more health risks taking products over 20 years than people taking nothing. I can dig up the post but I won't.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Be careful what you wish for. This is EXACTLY the type of thing that the FDA will use in their excuse to implement new legislation to wipe vitamins and minerals off the store shelves and only allow large pharma to produce products.

Not a future I would like to see...

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If every company had to do a publsihed study on there product, over 80-90% of companys would be out of business. Why? Ether there product is bogus like policosanol supplements which iv seen studys showing it useless or this airbone topic or the company is not big enough /good enough to do a study and get it publishd due to cost. I saw the post from another person that got taken down about a 20 year study showing people had more health risks taking products over 20 years than people taking nothing. I can dig up the post but I won't.
And you would not even have the option to use CREATINE for less than $300 per 100 grams.

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
Be careful what you wish for. This is EXACTLY the type of thing that the FDA will use in their excuse to implement new legislation to wipe vitamins and minerals off the store shelves and only allow large pharma to produce products.

exactly....

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I know what I wish for. Not to mention I work in a doctors office so money is not concern to me. The main products that are staple to my diet also are not a worry as they have studys on the actual product so incase the FDA says you need it I won't have to go scrambling around looking for a new company to use.

LatSpread

LatSpread

Awards
  • Established

x2 my thoughts exactly whenever I hear OTC products not meeting claims.

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
I know what I wish for. Not to mention I work in a doctors office so money is not concern to me. The main products that are staple to my diet also are not a worry as they have studys on the actual product so incase the FDA says you need it I won't have to go scrambling around looking for a new company to use.
whatcha do in that doctors office..lol..got me curious now bruv....

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So basically "I gots mine...screw the rest of you"

and by the way, the FDA isn't pushing for "you need studies supporting" they are saying " you will need to go through the same expense/procedure as prescription drugs...AND require a prescription for everything.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I do follow up calls with patients for blood work, diet, nutrition, exercise product comparesons, phone appoitments.

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
I do follow up calls with patients for blood work, diet, nutrition, exercise product comparesons, phone appoitments.
doesnt sound like a job that can pay for perscription prices for all supps....but if it does, good for you bro. I just dont think you realize the direction this will go. With that said, stick to your basics if your worried about products....good luck bro.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I never said or should not have said the FDA is pushing but I hope they do. I also hope other companys go threw the same procedure as drug companys do. If it costs more fine. Patients in my office can afford it any how. I am not worried. My office is near La Jolla.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My basics contain, fish oil, multiple, protein, hydrating stuff and bone and joint support. All threw the office I work in.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I'm a poor college student and am not getting a kick out of djbombsquad's replies. :(

I don't mind the current products that are out there. May do this, could do that, as long as there is research enough to justify the statement then so be it. Everyone is different and will have a different reaction to most everything.

If something doesn't work for me, so be it. That's no ones fault, my body just doesn't respond to that particular product. Airborne was stupid, yeah STUPID, to make a claim that their product can cure the common cold. Had they said that it can 'help to mitigate the symptoms of the common cold,' then they wouldn't be in this mess.

Some people really do respond well to airborne. I haven't taken it personally but I've had several customers, buy it on multiple occasions.

/end rant

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This is the big write up I just got in my e-mail from the doc.

The makers of Airborne, a line of popular herbal supplements that was marketed as a “miracle cold buster,” have decided to settle the false-advertising complaints in a class-action lawsuit for $23.3 million, according to one of the plaintiffs in the suit.

While agreeing to reimburse customers for up to six purchases of Airborne products, the company made no stunning admissions. “Defendants deny any wrongdoing or illegal conduct, but have agreed to settle the litigation,” the company said in a statement.

Under the agreement, a special Web site was created here to accept claims from customers, who have spent far more than $23.3 million on the range of Airborne products, from Airborne On-the-Go and Airborne Nighttime to Airborne Gummi and Airborne Power Pixies, which is sweetened for children.

Who would ever believe that “an effervescent dietary supplement that was created by a school teacher” could cure the common cold? Evidently, quite a few people: the company says it took in more than $100 million from sniffly consumers through 2006, who followed the company’s advice to take the stuff at the first sign of symptoms and to expect relief within an hour or two.

Airborne carved out its niche through a combination of catchy commercials, star power and savvy placement on drugstore shelves. Dietary supplements are usually gathered in one place and cold medicines in another, but Airborne usually sits right next to NyQuil, without the trouble of Food and Drug Administration testing and approval.

Oprah Winfrey, Howard Stern, Kevin Costner and other stars endorse the product, and the teacher-inventor has appeared on the “Dr. Phil” and “Live With Regis and Kelly” television shows and others, chattering away about Airborne’s benefits.

Elise Donahue, a former Proctor & Gamble executive who was hired as chief executive of the company in 2005, spoke to Rob Walker of The New York Times Magazine a few months later about the sales pitch:

She says that Airborne buyers feel that “if a schoolteacher who’s around germy little kids all the time can find something that keeps her from getting sick,” then her solution should work for them too. Similarly, the cartoon characters on the package lend a friendly, almost nonmedicinal aura to the product that stands out in the cough-and-cold aisle. (Although it stands out just a bit less lately, since drugstore chains and others have introduced copycat products with cartoon-character packaging.) The silly cartoon feel has carried over into Airborne’s first TV advertisements.

The company also said it had scientific evidence to support its marketing pitch. But the lawsuit that resulted in the settlement this week was sparked by an ABC News report last year saying that the clinical trial the company offered as proof of the product’s effectiveness was highly dubious:

Airborne said that a double-blind, placebo-controlled study was conducted with “care and professionalism” by a company specializing in clinical trial management, GNG Pharmaceutical Services.

GNG is actually a two-man operation started up just to do the Airborne study. There was no clinic, no scientists and no doctors. The man who ran things said he had lots of clinical trial experience. He added that he had a degree from Indiana University, but the school says he never graduated.

Ms. Donahue, the chief executive, responded by dropping the cold-curing claims at once, saying that they were made before she joined the company, and switched to calling Airborne an immune-system-boosting supplement. “The best proof that the product works was that 40,000 customers contact the company every year,” ABC quoted her as saying.

An official at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a food health and safety advocacy group that helped bring the lawsuit, disagreed. “There’s no credible evidence that what’s in Airborne can prevent colds or protect you from a germy environment,” David Schardt said in a news release.

Will this latest chink in Airborne’s armor hurt sales? That will be entirely up to consumers, who have begun to desert echinacea, another popular herbal remedy, after studies slammed its purported cold-fighting properties. Of course, the hopper keeps spinning, and another study popped up last month claiming it could work after all.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I never said or should not have said the FDA is pushing but I hope they do. I also hope other companys go threw the same procedure as drug companys do. If it costs more fine. Patients in my office can afford it any how. I am not worried. My office is near La Jolla.

You do realize the FDA does NOT have YOUR best interest in mind. Would I like to see inspections of manufacturing plants to make sure that the facility is clean and they don't mistakenly add rat poison to a supplement, sure, but beyond that, do NOT tell me what I can or cannot put into my body. Prescription based herbal remedies? Is that really what you want?

Codex Alimentarius
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5266884912495233634&q=nutric

This IS what will happen:

Europe Threatening To Ban Dietary Supplements

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
It's late and I just wanted to say that djbombsquad is an idiot. I feel bad for people under your supervision/care, if any.

Good night. :)

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Actually I help alot of people that are over weight, syndrome x, high triglycerides, LDL/HDL total cholesterol, etc and I have been working there for the past 3 years so I must be doing something good as I am still working there. If I am a idiot than why are you not working in the office and why am I working in a MD's office? If I am a idiot than how come when I did a basic metabolic panel for blood work my levels were normal infact they were better than most not to mention that I am a vegetarian. If I am a idiot than how come no one else posted about airbone and there law suit. It is never to late but I won't call you a idiot as I do not know any thing about you.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Actually I help alot of people that are over weight, syndrome x, high triglycerides, LDL/HDL total cholesterol, etc and I have been working there for the past 3 years so I must be doing something good as I am still working there. If I am a idiot than why are you not working in the office and why am I working in a MD's office? If I am a idiot than how come when I did a basic metabolic panel for blood work my levels were normal infact they were better than most not to mention that I am a vegetarian. If I am a idiot than how come no one else posted about airbone and there law suit. It is never to late but I won't call you a idiot as I do not know any thing about you.
Big whoop. I've worked in various industries, laboratory, airline, medical, etc. doesn't mean I can run a gas chromatograph, fly a plane or operate on someone.

Anyone that believed airborne could 'cure the common cold' would be an idiot in my book. Not saying that you did, but come on. They screwed up, plain and simple. All supps have the 'disclaimer' on them for a reason, to stop the FDA from coming down on them. It was high dosed vitamin C in an effective delivery system. Orange Juice by the carton should be banned too.

Perhaps they should also go after apples as we all know that 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away' or so the marketing campaign goes...

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
Is the FDA basically an unregulated, unchecked government organization? From what I've seen they tell us what 'the game' is, tell us what 'the rules' are, and when we start to win with a great supplement, they change the rules. After the 04 ban they made the rules so open that basically they can ban or outlaw what they want for any reason.

I've always thought the FDA needs a counter part to keep them in check, and maybe outside accounting to see who is getting paid off to allow products to hit the pharmacys that have massive amounts of side effects like stroke and heart attack.

MashedPotato

MashedPotato

Awards
  • Established
You know, if you actually look at the ingredients in airborne they are meant to SUPPORT your immune system.

I take it whenever I feel a cold comming, along with some extra zinc, and it ALWAYS subsides into nothing more than a slight runny nose.

I know it isnt doing jack to the cold itself, but helping my immune system fight the virus.

Like all FDA approved drugs, some work on some people, some dont. The same applies for supplements.

I hate the way this story was published , and it backs the entire "if it isnt validated by the FDA" it doesnt work. In that case every supp we take is complete balogna ((pronounced) "baloney")

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Dooooooooddddd... take the 'I work at a doctor's office' dildo out of your muff... it isn't that cool. Is that your defense of 'I love the FDA'?

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
Government: less is more.

End of discussion. Have a nice day!

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Gator Alum 03

Gator Alum 03

Awards
  • Established
"I work at a doctor's office" is code for "I'm a secretary". Duhhhhhhhhhhh.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
lol secretarys make like 15 bucks. Working in a doctors office has NOTHING to do with how much you make. Wopp dee doo I work in a pharmacy, does that mean im making 100g a year?

dj, boasting about where you work is not a good idea. Thats kinda like saying yeah... I work for microsoft... Im the janitor

CrzyHrse

CrzyHrse

Awards
It's late and I just wanted to say that djbombsquad is an idiot. I feel bad for people under your supervision/care, if any.

Good night. :)
Yeah, I feel sorry for them, too. I can't imagine the advice that someone who can't even spell words correctly might give.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I feel sorry for them, too. I can't imagine the advice that someone who can't even spell words correctly might give.
LMAO

thats what I though all along. Although I didnt want to say it. He spelled airborne wrong :rofl:

CrzyHrse

CrzyHrse

Awards
He spelled a few things wrong, or maybe spelled it right, but just used the wrong word/improper grammar. (there/their) I just hate it when people try to post something acting all educated and smarter than everybody else - and then they can't even spell!

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
The OP is a special case. He's all for regulation on the dietary supplement industry by the FDA and yet is running a log on research peptide fragments. He also buys a tons of supplements each month just to post that they don't work. I for one, actually look forward to his amusing posts. At least he isn't trying to shill Shakley vitamins anymore.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
He spelled a few things wrong, or maybe spelled it right, but just used the wrong word/improper grammar. (there/their) I just hate it when people try to post something acting all educated and smarter than everybody else - and then they can't even spell!
haha word.

Although, even when working in the pharmacy, I sometimes see misspelled perscriptions. Probably some PA who doesnt know how to spell wrote it up xD. Either that or the doctor cheated his way out of medical school :lol: