Need liver supporting supplement for my father

Screwtape

Screwtape

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My father takes Lipitor (Atorvastatin) due to high cholesterol (as well as 100mg CoQ10 due to statins ability to block formation of CoQ10 in the body).
The problem is that his liver reading are all slightly high and he would like to bring them back into normal range. He has tried a supplement containing milk thistle, dandelion, and artichoke, as well as Liv52, lecithin and aloe vera juice without success.
Is there any supplement/ drug which he should try, which won't cost a fortune?
Opinions, please.

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
My father takes Lipitor (Atorvastatin) due to high cholesterol (as well as 100mg CoQ10 due to statins ability to block formation of CoQ10 in the body).
The problem is that his liver reading are all slightly high and he would like to bring them back into normal range. He has tried a supplement containing milk thistle, dandelion, and artichoke, as well as Liv52, lecithin and aloe vera juice without success.
Is there any supplement/ drug which he should try, which won't cost a fortune?
Opinions, please.
liv 52 and milk thistle its the way to go, the only thing I remember more its liver longer from thermolife and NAC supps (like ax perfect cycle)

Screwtape

Screwtape

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
liv 52 and milk thistle its the way to go, the only thing I remember more its liver longer from thermolife and NAC supps (like ax perfect cycle)
Damn, liver longer $36 for 60 tabs? Not economically viable! NAC is a possibility. Does a dose of 600mg with around 1200mg of vitamin C sound reasonable for a 165lb 59 year old?

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
Damn, liver longer $36 for 60 tabs? Not economically viable! NAC is a possibility. Does a dose of 600mg with around 1200mg of vitamin C sound reasonable for a 165lb 59 year old?
I beleve it is...

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
Try Sam-e also. Supposed to be awesome for liver health, and many other things, including mood. A little expensive, but totally worth it IMO.

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
I think he was taking 3 capsules a day. It gets a bit expensive at higher dosages, especially with postage to New Zealand.
my personal suggestion would just be to not bother with all the liver supplements and try a different statin, or find a red yeast rice thats been std for monacolins. its pointless to set something on fire, then try to put it out... follow me?

that being said: 3 caps of liv52 is not gonna cut it... i would bump it up to 3 caps twice daily. its also sold under 'livercare' which you may be able to find easier (and cheaper)

regular milk thistle is sh1t... use a silybin phytosome. its a patented extract, so you should be able to get it through any number of companies. @ 200-300mg daily

also PicroMax if you can find it... again, i patented extract. any number of companies will sell it. @100mg daily

also daily consumption of broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables. high on the fiber, low on the starchy carbs and completely cut out the trans fats.

if his bloodwork doesnt normalize after a month or two, hes gonna have to try another drug.

Screwtape

Screwtape

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
my personal suggestion would just be to not bother with all the liver supplements and try a different statin, or find a red yeast rice thats been std for monacolins. its pointless to set something on fire, then try to put it out... follow me?
I don't think it's the statin causing the problem. He had abnormal liver readings using fibrates as well. But I will take your other advice in mind.

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
I don't think it's the statin causing the problem. He had abnormal liver readings using fibrates as well. But I will take your other advice in mind.

how high was his cholesterol?

whats his diet & exercise regimen look like?

Screwtape

Screwtape

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
how high was his cholesterol?

whats his diet & exercise regimen look like?
I think his cholesterol was around 6 mMol/L on the fibrates and came down to 4.8 on the statins.
He is a vegetarian who gets some exercise every day, usually walking about 30 minutes a day. There just seems to be bad genes for cholesterol, blood pressure and liver health on his side of the family.

ralph4u2c

ralph4u2c

Awards
  • Established
Try Sam-e also. Supposed to be awesome for liver health, and many other things, including mood. A little expensive, but totally worth it IMO.
liver longer is to be used during AAS cycles, not for everyday consumption. i also recommend sam-e. it is a few dollars more than other products like liv.52 but worth the few extra bucks. all in all, i find it to be a pretty inexpensive product, specially to a non-bber.

have you looked into life support from AI along with CL's orange triad for daily supplements almost all from 2 products? life support would help with liver, cholesterol, etc etc etc

orange triad, sam-e, and life support would be a killer stack for general health and by getting rid of all the other products, would prob. be around the same price.

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
I think his cholesterol was around 6 mMol/L on the fibrates and came down to 4.8 on the statins.
He is a vegetarian who gets some exercise every day, usually walking about 30 minutes a day. There just seems to be bad genes for cholesterol, blood pressure and liver health on his side of the family.

i think the supps i outlined will probably help... but i dont think you should underestimate the importance of adequate nutrition (both macro & micro). correcting deficiency states might be able to drop it to the point where he might be able to drop his medication dosages....which in turn would have a sparing effect on his liver

im a vegetarian btw... if he has the typical 'bad vegetarian' diet (high in starchy carbs, processed foods, low in protein, etc) that should be corrected...

trans fat is a 100% no go... that needs to be cut out totally. he should keep his saturated fat on the lower side too, but also make sure he is getting enough to begin with as sat fat intake tends to be lower in vegetarians.

make sure he's taking a good multi... also have his serum vitamin D levels checked. make sure they are checking blood calcidiol (25-hydroxy-vitamin D)

ask him if he knows how much fiber he's taking in every day... correcting inadequate soluble fiber intake can have a pretty significant effect on cholesterol.