Need liver supporting supplement for my father

  1. New Member
    Screwtape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    198
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    74.24%

    Need liver supporting supplement for my father


    My father takes Lipitor (Atorvastatin) due to high cholesterol (as well as 100mg CoQ10 due to statins ability to block formation of CoQ10 in the body).
    The problem is that his liver reading are all slightly high and he would like to bring them back into normal range. He has tried a supplement containing milk thistle, dandelion, and artichoke, as well as Liv52, lecithin and aloe vera juice without success.
    Is there any supplement/ drug which he should try, which won't cost a fortune?
    Opinions, please.

  2. Senior Member
    nunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,528
    Rep Power
    1320
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    23.25%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    My father takes Lipitor (Atorvastatin) due to high cholesterol (as well as 100mg CoQ10 due to statins ability to block formation of CoQ10 in the body).
    The problem is that his liver reading are all slightly high and he would like to bring them back into normal range. He has tried a supplement containing milk thistle, dandelion, and artichoke, as well as Liv52, lecithin and aloe vera juice without success.
    Is there any supplement/ drug which he should try, which won't cost a fortune?
    Opinions, please.
    liv 52 and milk thistle its the way to go, the only thing I remember more its liver longer from thermolife and NAC supps (like ax perfect cycle)
  3. New Member
    Screwtape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    198
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    74.24%

    Quote Originally Posted by nunes View Post
    liv 52 and milk thistle its the way to go, the only thing I remember more its liver longer from thermolife and NAC supps (like ax perfect cycle)
    Damn, liver longer $36 for 60 tabs? Not economically viable! NAC is a possibility. Does a dose of 600mg with around 1200mg of vitamin C sound reasonable for a 165lb 59 year old?
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    nunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,528
    Rep Power
    1320
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    23.25%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    Damn, liver longer $36 for 60 tabs? Not economically viable! NAC is a possibility. Does a dose of 600mg with around 1200mg of vitamin C sound reasonable for a 165lb 59 year old?
    I beleve it is...
  5. New Member
    arjun4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    207
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    35.72%

    what dosage is he using on the liv52?
  6. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,522
    Rep Power
    41252
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.41%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    You could do some bulk Milk Thistle, Grape Seed Extract and NAC. Also some ALA if you want too. Then cap it for him, and it shouldn't be too expensive.
  7. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,782
    Rep Power
    1317352
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    31.94%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Milk Thistle, NAC, ALA, and SesaThin.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  8. New Member
    Screwtape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    198
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    74.24%

    Quote Originally Posted by arjun4 View Post
    what dosage is he using on the liv52?
    I think he was taking 3 capsules a day. It gets a bit expensive at higher dosages, especially with postage to New Zealand.
  9. Senior Member
    mattikus's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,592
    Rep Power
    335532
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    38.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Try Sam-e also. Supposed to be awesome for liver health, and many other things, including mood. A little expensive, but totally worth it IMO.
  10. New Member
    arjun4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    207
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    35.72%

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    I think he was taking 3 capsules a day. It gets a bit expensive at higher dosages, especially with postage to New Zealand.
    my personal suggestion would just be to not bother with all the liver supplements and try a different statin, or find a red yeast rice thats been std for monacolins. its pointless to set something on fire, then try to put it out... follow me?

    that being said: 3 caps of liv52 is not gonna cut it... i would bump it up to 3 caps twice daily. its also sold under 'livercare' which you may be able to find easier (and cheaper)

    regular milk thistle is sh1t... use a silybin phytosome. its a patented extract, so you should be able to get it through any number of companies. @ 200-300mg daily


    also PicroMax if you can find it... again, i patented extract. any number of companies will sell it. @100mg daily

    also daily consumption of broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables. high on the fiber, low on the starchy carbs and completely cut out the trans fats.


    if his bloodwork doesnt normalize after a month or two, hes gonna have to try another drug.
  11. New Member
    Screwtape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    198
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    74.24%

    Quote Originally Posted by arjun4 View Post
    my personal suggestion would just be to not bother with all the liver supplements and try a different statin, or find a red yeast rice thats been std for monacolins. its pointless to set something on fire, then try to put it out... follow me?
    I don't think it's the statin causing the problem. He had abnormal liver readings using fibrates as well. But I will take your other advice in mind.
  12. New Member
    arjun4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    207
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    35.72%

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    I don't think it's the statin causing the problem. He had abnormal liver readings using fibrates as well. But I will take your other advice in mind.

    how high was his cholesterol?

    whats his diet & exercise regimen look like?
  13. New Member
    Screwtape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    198
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    74.24%

    Quote Originally Posted by arjun4 View Post
    how high was his cholesterol?

    whats his diet & exercise regimen look like?
    I think his cholesterol was around 6 mMol/L on the fibrates and came down to 4.8 on the statins.
    He is a vegetarian who gets some exercise every day, usually walking about 30 minutes a day. There just seems to be bad genes for cholesterol, blood pressure and liver health on his side of the family.
  14. Advanced Member
    ralph4u2c's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    28
    Posts
    759
    Rep Power
    528
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    84.17%

    Quote Originally Posted by mattikus View Post
    Try Sam-e also. Supposed to be awesome for liver health, and many other things, including mood. A little expensive, but totally worth it IMO.
    liver longer is to be used during AAS cycles, not for everyday consumption. i also recommend sam-e. it is a few dollars more than other products like liv.52 but worth the few extra bucks. all in all, i find it to be a pretty inexpensive product, specially to a non-bber.

    have you looked into life support from AI along with CL's orange triad for daily supplements almost all from 2 products? life support would help with liver, cholesterol, etc etc etc

    orange triad, sam-e, and life support would be a killer stack for general health and by getting rid of all the other products, would prob. be around the same price.
  15. New Member
    arjun4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    207
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    35.72%

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    I think his cholesterol was around 6 mMol/L on the fibrates and came down to 4.8 on the statins.
    He is a vegetarian who gets some exercise every day, usually walking about 30 minutes a day. There just seems to be bad genes for cholesterol, blood pressure and liver health on his side of the family.

    i think the supps i outlined will probably help... but i dont think you should underestimate the importance of adequate nutrition (both macro & micro). correcting deficiency states might be able to drop it to the point where he might be able to drop his medication dosages....which in turn would have a sparing effect on his liver

    im a vegetarian btw... if he has the typical 'bad vegetarian' diet (high in starchy carbs, processed foods, low in protein, etc) that should be corrected...

    trans fat is a 100% no go... that needs to be cut out totally. he should keep his saturated fat on the lower side too, but also make sure he is getting enough to begin with as sat fat intake tends to be lower in vegetarians.

    make sure he's taking a good multi... also have his serum vitamin D levels checked. make sure they are checking blood calcidiol (25-hydroxy-vitamin D)

    ask him if he knows how much fiber he's taking in every day... correcting inadequate soluble fiber intake can have a pretty significant effect on cholesterol.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 48
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 11:48 PM
  2. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 10:43 PM
  3. supporting supplement ??
    By montoyasnjs in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 08:53 AM
  4. DP I need supporting supplement?
    By cmp007 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-04-2007, 12:00 PM
  5. Superdrol Supporting Supplement Dosage
    By IntensePump in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-26-2005, 07:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in