CoQ10 retards neurodegenerative diseases

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Data on amyotrophic lateral sclerosis published by researchers at National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke

09-28-07

"The etiology of several neurodegenerative disorders is thought to involve impaired mitochondrial function and oxidative stress. Coenzyme Q-10 (CoQ(10)) acts both as an antioxidant and as an electron acceptor at the level of the mitochondria," researchers in the United States report.

"In several animal models of neurodegenerative diseases including amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Huntington's disease, and Parkinson's disease, CoQ(10) has shown beneficial effects. Based on its biochemical properties and the effects in animal models, several clinical trials evaluating CoQ(10) have been undertaken in many neurodegenerative diseases," wrote W.R. Galpern and colleagues, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

The researchers concluded: "CoQ(10) appears to be safe and well tolerated, and several efficacy trials are planned."

Galpern and colleagues published their study in Mitochondrion (Coenzyme Q treatment of neurodegenerative diseases of aging. Mitochondrion, 2007;7(Suppl. S):S146-S153).

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Data on amyotrophic lateral sclerosis published by researchers at National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke

09-28-07

"The etiology of several neurodegenerative disorders is thought to involve impaired mitochondrial function and oxidative stress. Coenzyme Q-10 (CoQ(10)) acts both as an antioxidant and as an electron acceptor at the level of the mitochondria," researchers in the United States report.

"In several animal models of neurodegenerative diseases including amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Huntington's disease, and Parkinson's disease, CoQ(10) has shown beneficial effects. Based on its biochemical properties and the effects in animal models, several clinical trials evaluating CoQ(10) have been undertaken in many neurodegenerative diseases," wrote W.R. Galpern and colleagues, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

The researchers concluded: "CoQ(10) appears to be safe and well tolerated, and several efficacy trials are planned."

Galpern and colleagues published their study in Mitochondrion (Coenzyme Q treatment of neurodegenerative diseases of aging. Mitochondrion, 2007;7(Suppl. S):S146-S153).
I can think of a few AM members that could benefit from this. :toofunny:

Its a good supp though, and I think it is better absorbed with some fish oil.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can think of a few AM members that could benefit from this. :toofunny:

Its a good supp though, and I think it is better absorbed with some fish oil.
I believe the ubiquinol form is vastly more potent (about a factor of eight!) and bioavailable than the regular ubiquinone form.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yep..the Ubi form is supposedly better.

I take it and I am so smchart. :think:

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
How do you tell if a COq10 product is ubiquinol or not? I am not really sure what that even means but I dont see it on the labels?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
They'll advertise the heck out of the enhanced absorbtion. I've only seen it at LEF and Costco so far.

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
LEF = ?

I see life extension has a super absorb able product.....expensive as hell though.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
LEF = ?

I see life extension has a super absorb able product.....expensive as hell though.
bioman is right. Because the ubiquinol form is significantly more potent and bioavailable then the ubiquinone form, producers and sellers of the ubiquinol form make sure they get the message across to potential buyers.
By the way, the key difference between ubiquinone and ubiquinol is that, for the ubiquinone form of CoQ10 to be properly absorbed and utilized by the body, the body must first reduce it to its active metabolite known as ubiquinol. Although researchers have established that most ubiquinone is naturally reduced to ubiquinol, the optimal approach to CoQ10 supplementation remains to consume it in its ready-to-use ubiquinol form. This form is more bioavailable, appears faster in cells, and maintains a longer half-life at the serum (plasma) level.
Apart from the ubiquinol form, I believe LEF (Life Extension Foundation) also offers an ubiquinone variety with D-Limonene for better absorption than the ubiquinone version without D-Limonene.
Hope this helps.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take Idebenone every day. I wonder how it compares?
Idebenone is a synthetic molecule, meaning that it does not occur in nature. It is an analog of Co-Enzyme-Q10. In Japan, Idebenone is approved as a drug.

Ingested Ubiquinone must be converted in the body into the active antioxidant form Ubiquinol. Conversion can be as high as 90%.

Idebenone, as an analog of CoQ10, can replace CoQ10 in the process of cellular energy production. Idebenone is also, like CoQ10, a powerful antioxidant. However, Idebenone is more water-soluble than CoQ10 and its cellular distribution and antioxidant structure also differ from those of CoQ10, making idebenone superior to CoQ10 in neutralizing some types of free free radicals, but inferior in fighting other types. In particular, idebnone is more effective than CoQ10 in protecting cells from the free radical damage resulting from reduced (abnormal) blood flow. In fact, some studies indicate idebenone is 30-100 times more effective than vitamin E or vinpocetine as a free radical quencher.
Furthermore, Idebenone protects under hypoxic conditions, a situation where CoQ10 may not be an adequate replacement. In addition, Idebenone (unlike CoQ10) has been shown to increase Nerve Growth Factor and enhance cholinergic activity, thus conferring Idebenone with cognitive enhancement abilities.
To continue, Idebenone is a potent anti-oxidant for protecting the very important mitochondria, by both surpressing free radical activity and protecting the unique mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA). This is unique as mtDNA is only derived from our mother's genes.
Finally, when organs are "harvested" for transplant to another patient, it is often the case that Idebenone is used to protect it from damage.

It must be noted that most of the comparison between Idebenone and CoQ10 employed the standard Ubiquinone form of CoQ10, not Ubiquinol.

The recommendation by many researchers is to add Idebenone to a CoQ10 supplement to obtain the very best of both worlds.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
"The recommendation by many researchers is to add Idebenone to a CoQ10 supplement to obtain get the very best of both worlds."

..and if money grew on trees, I would consider this. lol

Idebenone is uber pricey.

CoQ is coming down in price finally and the newer Ubiquinol is not too bad from Costco.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
"The recommendation by many researchers is to add Idebenone to a CoQ10 supplement to obtain get the very best of both worlds."

CoQ is coming down in price finally and the newer Ubiquinol is not too bad from Costco.
1) The most expensive supplement is the one that did not work! LOL.
2) Money does grow on trees. Trouble is to find the trees!
3) Considering that the daily recommendation for Idebenone lies between 45mg and 90mg for antioxidant and anti-aging benefits, I find Anabolic Innovations' Life Support and Cycle Support, both with 100mg Idebenone per day, excellent products for Idebenone supplementation. Not to mention some other co-factors in the products.

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
1) 3) Considering that the daily recommendation for Idebenone lies between 45mg and 90mg for antioxidant and anti-aging benefits, I find Anabolic Innovations' Life Support and Cycle Support, both with 100mg Idebenone per day, excellent products for Idebenone supplementation. Not to mention some other co-factors in the products.
Yep, I am definitely picking up some Coq10.

What is everyone's thoughts on these supps during a cycle (AAS, PH's, DS's, etc)? Clearly they would be valuable during PCT.

stevesliwa

stevesliwa

Banned
Awards

Idebenone is as pricey as coq10. Unlike CoQ10 however it is also a nootropic and an ampakine. Best dose is 180-360 mg at once to notice an effect.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Prince IronMag Labs 0
Supplements 29
Royd The Noyd Male Anti-Aging Medicine 0
Ari Gold Product Reviews 0
Supplements 39