Are all Glutamine products the same?

cardiffgiant

Awards
Simple straightforward question here. Do you guys think that all different brands of glutamine are the same or not?

cardiffgiant

Awards
I think they are good for avoiding getting sick but that's if you train hard regularly.

TSB4me

TSB4me

Awards
  • Established
I strongly disagree and dont feel liek getting back into this
I'll PM sinner and get him to post links to all the pubmed studies which show glutamine to be a complete waste.:stick:

Watch out for the placebo effect to. :icon_lol:

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'll PM sinner and get him to post links to all the pubmed studies which show glutamine to be a complete waste.:stick:

Watch out for the placebo effect to. :icon_lol:
Thats fine... still dont care....

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I doubt many people on here who don't compete know their bodys better than I know mine. All things considered here is what I said in another post:

I recently added 10g glutamine peptides along with 20g BCAA before AND after my workouts. With BCAA alone I always notice nothing. Since adding these in I am now up 3 pounds and only 3 pounds away from my all time high of 225 while MUCH leaner than I was last time I weighed this much.

It may not work for everyone but think about this: So what if the gut takes most of it!! If it somehow helps you digest and absorb more of your other amino acids by satisying the needs of your digestive system, do you REALLY care how it helped you gain muscle?

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No no don't get me wrong.

My earlier post was a poke at the sinner after he said that I was full of sh*t for getting results from glutamine.
Oh sorry man, had no idea... I just know something good is fgoing on for me in the last week since i added it.

TSB4me

TSB4me

Awards
  • Established
I'd have to differ when people or studies say that glutamine use is worthless.I've used alot of supplements in the 20yrs that I've been training and glutamine is a supplement that for me has helped reduce doms and when taken 15-20gms a day produced a cell voluminizing effect & increase in strength.
I'm so very happy you guys, the fact that you were able to make gains while taking a glutamine supp means so much to me. I'm also very glad to know that you were able to make such reliable, non-quantitative conclusions without the need of experimental control. Truly a godsend for the science community.
This was from an old glutamine thread.

easymac

easymac

Awards
this is the one that put the nail in the coffin for me. A 200lb man in this study would have been taking 81 grams of glutamine (.9g/kg)...

Authors
Darren G. Candow, Philip D. Chilibeck, Darren G. Burke, Shawn K. Davison, Truis Smith-Palmer
1College of Kinesiology, 105 Gymnasium Place, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, S7 N 5C2
2Department of Human Kinetics, St. Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada, B2G 2W5
3Department of Chemistry, St. Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada, B2G 2W5

Abstract

The purpose of this study was to assess the effect of oral glutamine supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults. A group of 31 subjects, aged 18-24 years, were randomly allocated to groups (double blind) to receive either glutamine (0.9 g·kg lean tissue mass-1·day-1; n=17) or a placebo (0.9 g maltodextrin·kg lean tissue mass-1·day-1; n=14) during 6 weeks of total body resistance training. Exercises were performed for four to five sets of 6-12 repetitions at intensities ranging from 60% to 90% 1 repetition maximum (1 RM). Before and after training, measurements were taken of 1 RM squat and bench press strength, peak knee extension torque (using an isokinetic dynamometer), lean tissue mass (dual energy X-ray absorptiometry) and muscle protein degradation (urinary 3-methylhistidine by high performance liquid chromatography). Repeated measures ANOVA showed that strength, torque, lean tissue mass and 3-methylhistidine increased with training (P<0.05), with no significant difference between groups. Both groups increased their 1 RM squat by approximately 30% and 1 RM bench press by approximately 14%. The glutamine group showed increases of 6% for knee extension torque, 2% for lean tissue mass and 41% for urinary levels of 3-methylhistidine. The placebo group increased knee extension torque by 5%, lean tissue mass by 1.7% and 3-methylhistidine by 56%. We conclude that glutamine supplementation during resistance training has no significant effect on muscle performance, body composition or muscle protein degradation in young healthy adults.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
this is the one that put the nail in the coffin for me. A 200lb man in this study would have been taking 81 grams of glutamine (.9g/kg)...

Authors
Darren G. Candow, Philip D. Chilibeck, Darren G. Burke, Shawn K. Davison, Truis Smith-Palmer
1College of Kinesiology, 105 Gymnasium Place, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, S7 N 5C2
2Department of Human Kinetics, St. Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada, B2G 2W5
3Department of Chemistry, St. Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada, B2G 2W5

Abstract

The purpose of this study was to assess the effect of oral glutamine supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults. A group of 31 subjects, aged 18-24 years, were randomly allocated to groups (double blind) to receive either glutamine (0.9 g·kg lean tissue mass-1·day-1; n=17) or a placebo (0.9 g maltodextrin·kg lean tissue mass-1·day-1; n=14) during 6 weeks of total body resistance training. Exercises were performed for four to five sets of 6-12 repetitions at intensities ranging from 60% to 90% 1 repetition maximum (1 RM). Before and after training, measurements were taken of 1 RM squat and bench press strength, peak knee extension torque (using an isokinetic dynamometer), lean tissue mass (dual energy X-ray absorptiometry) and muscle protein degradation (urinary 3-methylhistidine by high performance liquid chromatography). Repeated measures ANOVA showed that strength, torque, lean tissue mass and 3-methylhistidine increased with training (P<0.05), with no significant difference between groups. Both groups increased their 1 RM squat by approximately 30% and 1 RM bench press by approximately 14%. The glutamine group showed increases of 6% for knee extension torque, 2% for lean tissue mass and 41% for urinary levels of 3-methylhistidine. The placebo group increased knee extension torque by 5%, lean tissue mass by 1.7% and 3-methylhistidine by 56%. We conclude that glutamine supplementation during resistance training has no significant effect on muscle performance, body composition or muscle protein degradation in young healthy adults.
What if it could help 1/100? They only tested 31 people...What if the 32nd would have gotten significant results from it? I am not doubting the fact that it may be worthless, but there is always a "what if" factor for science. No matter what people say. There are a lot of factors that are not disclosed in this study. Calorie intake, supplementation, etc etc. Some may argue that Glut would be more beneficial when taken in conjunction with another amino, or any substance for that matter.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have a couple loose ideas why glut might help some people but cant back them up. Main idea is some people who are having a hard time gaining could be doing so due to many factors, glutamine is conditionally esential so if you are really stressing your training to near overtraining then it might help or maybe some peoples digestive system really needs it and thus it helps them absorb more of other amino acids aka protein parts ect...

I am not suggesting it to everyone but with all the BS supplements out there I would hardly call it a giant scam and think out of curiosity alone everyone should try it or glutamine peptides atleast once...

cardiffgiant

Awards
I still think Glutamine kept me from getting sick for the longest time ever. I went from being sick 3-4 times one year to once in 1.5 yrs. Maybe coincidence but I think it is useful when training hard or for someone who is prone to overtraining. If it helps with avoiding getting sick than that is enough for me to take it-for recovery.

easymac

easymac

Awards
What if it could help 1/100? They only tested 31 people...What if the 32nd would have gotten significant results from it? I am not doubting the fact that it may be worthless, but there is always a "what if" factor for science. No matter what people say. There are a lot of factors that are not disclosed in this study. Calorie intake, supplementation, etc etc. Some may argue that Glut would be more beneficial when taken in conjunction with another amino, or any substance for that matter.
I somewhat agree with you but 1 out of 32 people doesnt seem like good odds of a supplement working to me. I feel like 31 weight trained individuals is a fair enough sample size. If it had been used in conjunction with other aminos or substance who's to say that those particular substances werent to blame for the results.

cardiffgiant

Awards
Why do people who don't use or buy glutamine get so upset if others are "wasting" their money. I don't expect to gain muscle just better recovery, Which at my age I need all the help I can get.

TSB4me

TSB4me

Awards
  • Established
Why do people who don't use or buy glutamine get so upset if others are "wasting" their money. I don't expect to gain muscle just better recovery, Which at my age I need all the help I can get.
Exactly , bulk glutamine powder doesn't cost much so whats the big deal.
I'm not saying it's a must have supplement.
But I have used it often and for me I have seen positive results.
Are these results from underlying digestive issues , I don't know.
Are they placebo.......I don't think so.

Superior1

Awards
Yes there is a difference. The best powder I have received consistently was from Korea. Chinese are hit or miss. This is over 1,000KG in the last 4 years.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
Yes they are all useless crap.
L-Glutamine is a necessary part of the PWO shake whenever insulin is administered PWO. This is especially important if GH is also administered.

I understand you probably will never use this protocol...never-the-less your blanket statement "useless crap" is wrong.

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
I think their all the same. I just pick up a cheap $10 jug with 66 servings at walmart.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
Kind of like this post?

Glutamine is great for post-workout (recovery), cutting phases, and to strengthen immune health. If neither of those concern you, then yes it is crap.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
i'm a supporter of glutamine but each to their own even though t-dogg did really come up with a well rounded and educated argument for the alternative

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
I liked glutamine when i used it before BCAAs became big. I used 15 at first then jumped to 20g preWO then 10 Post. I def felt it during. Cant recall how everythign else was cause i was a noob and dint pay much attention to anythign else. I know the stack was.
100% Whey
Glutamine
Amino 1000 buy TwinLab
NO-Xplode
So i know the glutamine worked a bit casue there were some days i skipped NO and i felt fuller befroe and after.

easymac

easymac

Awards
I think their all the same. I just pick up a cheap $10 jug with 66 servings at walmart.
Went and picked this up at walmart last week and started experimenting for myself. 10g in my morning shake, 30g in post workout shake in lue of carbs, and 10g before bed. I have noticed better recovery and my muscles seem more full.