How important is L Glutamine and should you supplement it ?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Would love to hear everyone's point of view ? How about @The Solution @HIT4ME

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Why?
You get plenty of Glutamine from whole food.
I think you just supplement way too much and invest in so many things you truly don't need.
The only benefit you would get is if you have some form of a digestional disorder, which for most is not necessary

The rationale for the use of glutamine likely comes the fact that patients who are very sick -- burns, sepsis, cachexia -- have low levels of muscle glutamine. When those patients receive this amino acid their muscle protein balance improves. Most individuals get plenty of AA's from whole food, whey, or other protein sources.

If you consume a lot of extra glutamine, most of it never makes it to the muscles, it gets held by your gut. A rapid influx of orally-ingested glutamine won’t translate to your muscles getting a big boost of the stuff; it’ll probably hang out in your intestines.

The problem is that despite glutamine leaving the muscle in large quantities during exercise, it never really drops that much. No study as I am aware, shown that ingested glutamine (even in large doses) increases muscle levels of glutamine! I think it's largely useless as a supplement." One study supplemented young, healthy adults with 0.9 g/kg of lean body mass per day and still no effect.

Glutamine is cheap and can improve gut health, in the grand scheme of things you are getting plenty from whole food and your other protein sources in a 24-hour period. Ingesting more is not going to yield and real net benefit.

Glutamine did not show a true improvement in performance

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Think about Bob’s first study he posted.

Let’s say your 180lbs at 15% body fat, yielding 153lbs lean body mass. This study would’ve given you ~62g of Glutamine/day if I’m understanding the design correctly, and found no results.

So no, I wouldn’t go out of my way to purchase free form Glutamine.

Even the research on gut health isn’t too strong.

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
No, glutamine does not build muscle. It's entirely absorbed and used up by the gut and none of it makes it to the muscle tissue. Plus, if you're taking plenty of whey protein, you should be getting plenty of glutamine already.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thank you guys

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Robbie Robinson said it boosted growth hormone, and ive heard this back on the ast-ss website back in 2004 , however, ive never seen studies