Back to School supplements...(1st post)

DavidCream

DavidCream

Awards
Hey, this is my 1st post here at AM so Hi. I usually post/read around bb.com but I decided why not have anouther source to go to and from what i've read there are waaay bigger differences in opinion here compared to there. Anyways back to my post...(same as from bb.com)

Well with school a little over a month away I have to make my supplement budget out. I have a new mindset when it comes to supplements "the only things that 'work' are food, protien shakes, and steriods, and im afraid of needles" meaning that even though i would like to try products like JW, MassFX, Halodrol Liquigels, ect I don't exactly have the money to be spending on them, id rather focus on proper eating and training and if/when I have a few extra bucks I might buy something special.
Heres what I'm looking at for the semester:

1. Multi-Vitamin:

Now ADAM (~$36 for the semester)
vs
Controlled Labs Orange Triad (~$100 for the semester)

I'm thinking I'll go with Now because its considerably cheaper and I can't see the benefit of Orange Triad to counterbalance the huge price difference. If anyone could lean me the other way, or toward a different product i'd like to hear.

2. Protien Shake

ON Serious Mass(~$130 for the semester)
vs
ON 100% Whey(~$140 for the semester)

It's hard to eat meals that it takes time to make inbetween classes so the best thing that works for me is a turkey sandwich and a protien shake. I'm leaning toward SeriousMass because of the large amount of calories it offers(I'd take only half the amount a day and eat more whole foods at night) and that i'd only have to drink one shake opposed to two leaving room for more whole foods later.

3. PWO Shake

UN Torrent(~$160 for the semester)
vs
???

Torrent gets excellent reviews and my friend says it tastes great. I lift more toward dinner so Im not sure if its too filling or not. This is where I need help the most.

OVERALL:
I think this is pretty solid for supplements, nothing excessive, and covers the essentials and will cost between $350-$450 for the semester. Any thoughts ideas comments suggestions or questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
hey welcome dude! definitely go with the Adam multi, i think many would agree with me on this for sure. perhaps get some of both, because u dont want to drink a weight gainer shake for every shake that your going to drink, like the gainer post workout, and the 100% at other times of the day. im not really familiar with the torrent so idk for that.

but,

but i would personally take a much different route. i would not buy a half year supply of supps at one time. what if some sweet new supps come out that u would love to try and you still have 17lbs of whatever left? or what if u buy all this stuff, then in a few weeks theres a sale and u can get it all half price. or u decide 2 months from now that u r so sick of that flavor or protein that u dont even want to drink it anymore. this is just my opinion, just trying to help:)

DavidCream

DavidCream

Awards
but i would personally take a much different route. i would not buy a half year supply of supps at one time. what if some sweet new supps come out that u would love to try and you still have 17lbs of whatever left? or what if u buy all this stuff, then in a few weeks theres a sale and u can get it all half price. or u decide 2 months from now that u r so sick of that flavor or protein that u dont even want to drink it anymore. this is just my opinion, just trying to help:)
oh i dont plan on buying it all at the same time for the reasons you posted, i was just planning out for the semester so i know about how much funds i can allot toward certain things. thanks for the help too!

Mar430

Awards
Definites:
I would do the Adam for multi
ON 100% Whey for protein (ON Serious Mass on the side is optional)
Prolab Creatine Monohydrate as a post workout
Alri WTF Pump'd as a Preworkout

Optionals:
Primaforce Beta Alanine or Incarnate for a source of Beta Alanine
PSlin for extra pumps and strength
PowerFULL to help out wit the sleep and recovery...i would save the PowerFULL tho for when school is gettin stressful and its hard to sleep after workouts

jdev

Awards
  • Established
Id go with the whey (or cytosport whey). also as preWO id probably get RPM or cordygen5 as well as Xtend. Xtend lasts for 30-45 workouts depending on your mass, and RPM lasts for somewhere between 25 and 35 depending on your weight. A serving of Xtend Post WO would also help in a similar way to UN Torrent (Torrent is EAAs?). A Whey shake (with Water not milk) immediately Post WO would probably be just as effective (and much cheaper).

Id also buy some bulk Creatine (Monohydrate or Malate) as a kilo is 20 bucks or less and will last you a year or so. Probably aso a kilo of Taurine to help for absorption w/ the Creatine which is 15 or less.

All WTF Pump'd makes you do is look bigger at the gym. if thats necessary for you, go ahead, but RPM helps do that as well, and also helps with endurance and performance.

Also about the multi, Id just go with that Target 120ct copy of Centrum Performance. Its about 12 bucks and lasts a semester.

Bulk Muira Puama (similar to powerfull) would probably be good too. its about 10 bucks for probably a semester.

Probably just as important as the basic supplements, and more important than other supps, is your workout routine and such. while im in school i tend to do a slightly modified rippetoe routine. However over the summer, I tend to increase the frequency that I work out as i'm not stressed from school.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
if your at college and have access to unlimited food. stop thinking about your shakes and just eat the best well balanced meals you can

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
if your at college and have access to unlimited food. stop thinking about your shakes and just eat the best well balanced meals you can
ahh, that was sooo nice last year. to bad i dont have the unlimited cafeteria this year:(

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
oh i dont plan on buying it all at the same time for the reasons you posted, i was just planning out for the semester so i know about how much funds i can allot toward certain things. thanks for the help too!
alright good call dude

DavidCream

DavidCream

Awards
I don't have unlimited access to food. We are only allowed to eat 3x a day at our cafeteria if we want to buy a meal plan. It's cheaper not to buy one and buy actual groceries(where I can pick what to eat, healthier+tastier). Of course if i had unlimited $$ id get groceries and a meal plan but thats not gonna happen haha. Thanks for all the various options, as it gets closer to school or my bag of protien that i have right now runs out ill see if a local GNC or supplement store has torrent to try to see if i like the flavor or not. Keep comin with the info and try to remember cost effectiveness is huge for me.

mcneely011

Awards
If you really want to cut your costs, i think you could just cut the Torrent and go with some whey postworkout with some bread and fruit which you could snag from the cafeteria.

Wardo13

Awards
Dude, being a student myself I here what your saying about being strapped for cash! I try to use shakes only post workout and some times with breakfat when in a rush/cant be bothered to cook (i would definatly go with ON 100% whey). I would definatly recomend buying some RPM for pre workout, you should see some awsome results and it has a very affordable and resonable price tag for what it offers! :thumbsup:

angelo212

Awards
  • Established
Go with the ON 100% Whey or even Cyctosports Whey which is found cheaper in many places. Also MRM's Whey protien. You can get 10 pounds for $52.00 About 77 servings per 5 pounds. Get a good creatine Monohydrate supplement and F*** everything else. Buy food.

jdev

Awards
  • Established
BCAAs (Xtend) really helps with soreness. Yesterday i worked out with RPM, and no Xtend, and today im really sore. Ihaven't gotten sore since I started taking Xtend.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
if u look around u can find 10lbs of whey for about $45