How do i know if i have had a good workout?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Force of Green View Post
    I don't understand the point in breaking down the workouts into isolated bodyparts... especially 'arm day'. What the hell is arm day? You either spend equal amounts of time in the gym than you do other bodypart days and become victim of overtraining (aka Gym Rat Syndrome) or you get into the gym and you are in and out within 2-3 minutes... because that's all it takes for effective tri/bi stimulation for growth. Unless you train each bodypart twice a week, your muscles are going to undergo some atrophy on your down time as well.
    The primary muscles like chest and back will not get enough weekly stimulation they need and the muscles like the biceps and triceps will be overstimulated if they're being used as secondary targeted muscles for days in a row (biceps assisting in back exercises, triceps stimulated during pushing movements, etc.). If you have a 4-5 day breakdown of bodyparts structured throughout the week and you miss a day, everything gets thrown out of synch. You either skip that bodypart for the week (not likely), end up stressing over getting into the gym when it's no optimal or convenient for you (I remember once going into the gym to do legs at 2:00am. This was when I was naive.), or doubling up on bodyparts and end up spending over 2 hours at the gym in some cases. Certain muscles that your stimulating throughout your week also become severely overlapped and end up just burning out and many injuries are caused by stabilizer muscles or tendons, joints, or ligaments that haven't had enough time to rest and recover.
    I don't know how ones body can be totally in harmony and synchronization when one is performing these truly split up workout sessions. One day you leave the gym and your arms are surging with blood, one day your chest is pumped, the next day you can barely walk out because your legs are like limp noodles.... Also... when doing this routine, unless you adjust your post workout nutrition, your giving the same amount of macro and micronutrients to the big and the small muscles. Logically, that'd be like me feeding a Great Dane (legs) the same amount of food as a Yorkshire Terrier (arms). Not to mention the differences in caloric expenditure on a day to day basis are NEVER the same... like two fingerprints, none are equal, but two can be very similar.
    A few misconceptions about full body (HIT!!!) workouts are:
    1.full body workouts are for the time constrained individual only.
    2. full body workouts can't give me the stimulation I need for a muscular physique.
    3. full body workouts are for older people and those who can't handle the bodybuilding routines.
    4. how can I work on building my pecs if I'm only doing 1 exercise each time for chest?

    Each workout is not for everyone. There I said it. However, EVERYONE can adopt and/or create a full body HIT workout that is for them. Leave the split body part crap for the roided out prom queens (Cutler, Coleman, Priest,etc). Lee Priest works up a sweat getting into a race car on the off season. You won't receive any of the wealth of benefits doing split routines, that you would by doing true HIT training (full body). The weights will go up for some time, then you realize your redundancy and patheticism (is that a word?) and your ego crashes down like a 500 lb weight stack after a rotted steel cable decides to suddenly snap while your at the peak of the concentric movement.
    Everything works as a whole or it doesn't work at all. Train as a whole, and engage at full throttle. This "Oh I'm saving up for my heavy set" is absolute laughing stock.


    Breaking in a new soapbox?

    BTW, I agree on most points. A 2-day split is my preference. Back/Traps/Legs/Bi's & Chest/Shoulder/Tri's.
    Last edited by jonny21; 07-01-2007 at 05:15 PM. Reason: missed something
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC


  2. Quote Originally Posted by jonny21 View Post


    Breaking in a new soapbox?

    BTW, I agree on most points. A 2-day split is my preference. Back/Traps/Legs/Bi's & Chest/Shoulder/Tri's.
    Sweet. Some people like a little split. For sure. I also advocate that if a muscle is still too sore from the last workout, you can not emphasize it as much and vice-versa.
    For example: I felt that I could do better on chest than what I did 'Monday' which was pushups to failure and emphasizing iso-static holds upon failing until I fell to the ground. I didn't leave the gym dissatisfied saying, "my chest exercise f*in sucked! I need to go back and bench press to get a better pump!"
    ... I beat the holy hell out of it the next workout a couple days later. It was a full body workout of course, but chest emphasis went a bit deeper. I pre-exhausted in with a chest level cable crossover configuration then hopped on an incline bench with 50 lb dumbells in each hand and popped out single arm incline dumbell presses... I counted off patterns to myself and cranked out reps for the life of me. "1... 1... 1,2... 1,2... 1,2,3,4,5... etc"
    •   
       


  3. I know it is a good workout when I get a migraine after from lack of oxygen and lactic acid build-up....usually only happens when we run 120 meters up to 300m sprints and have to stay in range (80-90% of fastest time)....and have to do 8-10 reps

    400 the Hard Way x 3 will do it to you as well.....

    The result (after the migraine wears off)- you feel PHENOMENAL...


    PS- I usually can't get this feeling off of weight training work outs any more, no matter how hard I push myself.....
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
    Chief Operating Officer, Applied Nutriceuticals

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Force of Green View Post
    Sweet. Some people like a little split. For sure. I also advocate that if a muscle is still too sore from the last workout, you can not emphasize it as much and vice-versa.
    For example: I felt that I could do better on chest than what I did 'Monday' which was pushups to failure and emphasizing iso-static holds upon failing until I fell to the ground. I didn't leave the gym dissatisfied saying, "my chest exercise f*in sucked! I need to go back and bench press to get a better pump!"
    ... I beat the holy hell out of it the next workout a couple days later. It was a full body workout of course, but chest emphasis went a bit deeper. I pre-exhausted in with a chest level cable crossover configuration then hopped on an incline bench with 50 lb dumbells in each hand and popped out single arm incline dumbell presses... I counted off patterns to myself and cranked out reps for the life of me. "1... 1... 1,2... 1,2... 1,2,3,4,5... etc"
    I agree that a workout exclusively for arms is crap, but I've made progress for the past 4 months with splits. Once before that I had done full body workouts, but without much progress probably because my diet wasn't well and I didn't have access to heavy equipment to work with.

    However, I'm getting a little bored and want to try it again and was wondering if you could provide me more insight as to how to distribute the number of sets per part within a workout and the frequency of workouts? Is it like every other day with 3 sets on legs, 2 sets on back/chest, 1 set for bi/tri/trap/calves, everything all out?

    By the way, I think the full body workout is probably the best solution to eliminating any worry from "not having a good workout," because you aren't going to be waiting a whole week to hit something again.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by bitterplacebo View Post
    I agree that a workout exclusively for arms is crap, but I've made progress for the past 4 months with splits. Once before that I had done full body workouts, but without much progress probably because my diet wasn't well and I didn't have access to heavy equipment to work with.

    However, I'm getting a little bored and want to try it again and was wondering if you could provide me more insight as to how to distribute the number of sets per part within a workout and the frequency of workouts? Is it like every other day with 3 sets on legs, 2 sets on back/chest, 1 set for bi/tri/trap/calves, everything all out?

    By the way, I think the full body workout is probably the best solution to eliminating any worry from "not having a good workout," because you aren't going to be waiting a whole week to hit something again.
    Give me until later tonite or tomorrow and I'll post my entire workout philosophy and insight to full body HIT training in this thread. I'm late for a pool party! Have a good day yall!
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by Force of Green View Post
    Give me until later tonite or tomorrow and I'll post my entire workout philosophy and insight to full body HIT training in this thread. I'm late for a pool party! Have a good day yall!
    Sounds good. I am infinitely patient.

  7. Full body workouts worked great when I was a noobie. I've found that now that I have a good deal of mass, I can't do a simple two or three day split, because the poundages required to achieve stimulations on the movements I would be doing are just too tough on the joints. Five day splits allow you more gym time, so I can pre exhaust the target muscle before I go to compounds with less weight, yet achieve the same effort as I would have required to push much heavier weight without pre exhausting the target muscle.

    They both work fine, though, and anybody that tries to pretend that any one split is significantly 'better' than the rest is kidding themselves for the ego boost they get knowing that they're smarter than everyone else for doing it 'their way'.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
    Full body workouts worked great when I was a noobie. I've found that now that I have a good deal of mass, I can't do a simple two or three day split, because the poundages required to achieve stimulations on the movements I would be doing are just too tough on the joints. Five day splits allow you more gym time, so I can pre exhaust the target muscle before I go to compounds with less weight, yet achieve the same effort as I would have required to push much heavier weight without pre exhausting the target muscle.

    They both work fine, though, and anybody that tries to pretend that any one split is significantly 'better' than the rest is kidding themselves for the ego boost they get knowing that they're smarter than everyone else for doing it 'their way'.
    Hmmm... I'm not a fan of making assumptions, but I am going to go out on a limb here... maybe a big limb and say that you are saying that by me advocating the method I employ for myself and others, that I am looking for an ego boost? Hmmm... There's also a difference between full body workouts 'the wrong way'... full body workouts (period)... and full body (true) HIT training. Something tells me that I can't assume that you were actually living the HIT philosophy and just performing the same crap and trying to get stronger with continual repetition and redundancy.

    I honestly hope that you don't think I'm looking for an ego boost, because the last thing I'd be doing is preaching at an online message board trying to boost an ego.

    Fact is...
    I know plenty of people who have seemed to have fun doing the 5 day split ****. Then I don't see them for a month or three. The crap gets old. It's not a lifestyle; It becomes a goddam chore.

    When you're taking so many supplements or designer steroids, calesthenics will make you a walking, breathing monster. You can get big beating your meat taking pheraplex, superdrol, etc.

    Also... When you don't have a grasp on the full concept of a certain training method, you can't reap the full benefits. You can do a program out of a book, but until you learn to walk on your own 2-feet and start modifying the programs and developing your own exercise philosophies, you'll always be stuck in first gear.

    You can knock on me and my posts all you want, or you can try and make a jackass out of me and say that you weren't directing your comment to me at all. What I'm saying is that the body wasn't designed for such programs as those 'bodybuilder' type splits. Everyone knock on me please for making such a statement. Go ahead.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Vitamin deficiency - How do you know if you have it? / Life Style Changes.
    By HQProperty in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-04-2008, 11:45 PM
  2. How do you know if ur overtraining?
    By j0sh710 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-11-2007, 09:14 PM
  3. How do You Know if Your Food is Genetically Modified?
    By jjohn in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-16-2006, 11:47 PM
  4. How do you know if you wasted a filter?
    By CROWLER in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 06:09 PM
  5. How do you know if ur shut down.
    By Slick2oo4 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-14-2004, 06:55 AM
Log in
Log in