What the hell's a "search engine?"

ImJ2x

ImJ2x

Awards
  • Established
I'm getting a little sick of so many people on this board who take great glee in smugly replying, "Use the search engine. That's what it's there for."
Apparently, every possible question has already been covered from every possible angle in previous threads. So perhaps it's time to close the forum, and just use it as an archive. [And, of course, as an advertising platform for all the sponsors and their latest wonderdrugs.]
OK, OK. Sorry for the bitterness -- I just had to vent a little. Actually, I do have a question for all you folks who invoke the trite response "use the search engine." If you're so irritated that someone would dare to ask a question in your forum, why take the time to respond at all? You could expend even less energy by NOT posting a reply.
Now let's see if you can find the time (and the vocabulary) to post an actual response to this.
:gotsearch

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
We like pissing people off.

Don't feel bad. I been here a long time and ask a question and get ignored. Negative attention is still attention. Be grateful :)

Sendo

Awards
If a person comes in and has obviously done some research and they show it in their post then I don't see a problem with helping them out. However if they come in and are asking "OMG HOW DO I TAKE SUPERDROL". Then I use the got search icon.

What's that saying? Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day? Teach a man how to fish and he can eat for a lifetime?

Same principle. Give someone the answer and they'll be good for that one time, show them how to obtain their own answers and they will become more knowlegeable than they could have ever imagined.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It depends on the type of question. For those of us who are here a lot we see a trend of simliar types of posts that are many times a thread or two below the new one being asked. Or even worse, the answer is in the big red sticky at the top of the forum.

Example: What does everyone think of Superdrol?
What kind of sides does M1T have?
What's IGF?
What's an abscess?

those a subjects that have been covered and covered again and for the most part the people who are replying are also the ones who have replied several other times.

So there ya have it. That's why sometimes people come off as a bit irritated. Other times it's because they are *******s but either way. Hopefully that answers your questions. And B, everyone ignores you because you ask hard questions that require some thought and knowledge to reply. :)

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Part of the culture of this board is to empower people to take charge of their own health and fitness. People want to see someone making that effort before taking their time to answer a question. I find it refreshing over other boards where everyone chimes in and it becomes a chore to separate out the useful responses from the nonsense.

ImJ2x

ImJ2x

Awards
  • Established
Very intelligent replies. I'm pleasantly surprised.
:clap2:
PS: I didn't start this thread because I received a "use search engine" reply (although I have received a few). I started it because I clicked on a thread (about an hour ago) where the 2nd or 3rd reply to a genuine, legitimate question was "use the search engine," posted by an early twenty-something kid with hundreds of previous posts, possibly looking to just pad his post count. I was going to respond right there, but I decided to make it less personal by just starting a new thread on the general topic (which I DO see as an escalating problem).
But yes, I do realize that most of the members of this board are knowledgeable, helpful people. That's why I choose to come here.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And B, everyone ignores you because you ask hard questions that require some thought and knowledge to reply. :)
It gets lonely up here sometimes :icon_lol:

Seriously, I am by no means a guru in any area, but I do seem to ask those questions. You know I exhaust most of my search resources before even thinking of posting.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
All except Idunk and I.
We are worthless mods and reps.

Not sure what IBE and SNS were thinking....

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's like being hydrogen...You can't mix with oxygen without getting explosive results.

Yeah, I just watched the history channel and the Hindenburg
episode so I felt compelled to find a way to make an analogy with hydrogen :p

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
All except Idunk and I.
We are worthless mods and reps.

Not sure what IBE and SNS were thinking....
worthless in what way? You both have four holes between the two of you. :bb2:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
What?
My ears aren't good enough for you?

What's next? The ole "It's me - I swear".

Yeah - I've heard that one before.
:ntome: