Glycocyamine: Good or Bad!

Would you use Glycocyamine??

• Yes - It is safe to use, just a rumor that it's bad for you.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • No - I'm not putting my health at risk.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Undecided - The jury is still out.

Votes: 12 48.0%

• Total voters
RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Saw this thread going on over at BB - and thought I'd bring it here for some educated feedback.

"I also don't agree with a lot of things written on T-Nation I do agree with homocysteine issue and GAA. There is no reason to be taking this as dietary staple which Muscle Milk (not the RTD which I love) serves as. There is solid evidence which states GAA raises homocysteine levels in healthy human subjects. Also, there is no evidence which shows this 4:1 ratio of TMG to GAA is safe and was probably devised by the first company to market a product with GAA. I have read most literature dating back to 2000 with regards to this topic. Here is some insight from another thread:

"Total plasma homocysteine was shown to be sensitive to dietary manipulation of methyl acceptors (Fig. 2). Animals maintained on a GAA-supplemented diet exhibited a plasma homocysteine level that was 49% higher than control animals. Supplementation of diets with creatine, however, resulted in a 27% decrease in plasma homocysteine"

Not so fast big guy. If homocysteine levels are lowered by 12% with betaine and 27% with creatine then what about the other 10%? Should we consider this neglible or possibly something that was turned a blind eye to because of the volumizing effects of GAA which any noob would just love? Hmmmm. makes you think a bit.

"Table 1 describes the effect of creatine and GAA supplementation on muscle metabolites in hindlimb skeletal muscle and on plasma creatine. Muscle creatine was increased by 39% in GAA-supplemented animals and by 46% in the creatine-supplemented group compared with control values. Phosphocreatine was unchanged. Plasma creatine was about sixfold higher in both the GAA- and creatine-supplemented groups. These data indicate that dietary supplementation with creatine or GAA significantly alters both muscle and plasma creatine levels."

As you can see it isn't superior to creatine and if someone is a non-resosponder to creatine monohydrate it is most likely due to the sodium dependent transport pathways non working optimally.

Originally Posted by deserusan
Creatine magnesium chelate in theory is supposed to allow the creatine molecule to be absorbed into the muscle via the ligand-gated cation channel. Normally, creatine enters the cell via a sodium-dependent transporter and if this new pathway is more efficient because it only allows cations through then creatine magnesium chelate could quite possibly be a more effective ergogenic aide. Unfortunately, it has been found that there is no evidence showing that creatine magnesium chelate enhances physical performance with respect to creatine monohydrate, thus the secondary transport pathway is not more efficient but still works nonetheless (Selsby JT 2004).

In this case, a magnesium creatine chelate would be a much safer alternative.

"The increased provision of GAA directly drives increased homocysteine production, as is evident in the experiments with hepatocytes (Table 3). The accumulation of homocysteine in these hepatocyte experiments reflects the fact that the production of this metabolite exceeds its rate of removal by remethylation and transsulfuration reactions"

You have to love full conclusions vs. abstract conclusions.

Stead LM, Au KP, Jacobs RL, Brosnan ME, Brosnan JT.Methylation demand and homocysteine metabolism: effects of dietary provision of creatine and guanidinoacetate. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Nov;281(5):E1095-100.

With all that said, it makes sense not be using GAA as part of your normal diet per se. I can see using it in a cycled creatine product but using it multiple times a day to meat meal requirements as Muscle Milk (this doesn't apply to MM RTD's because they contain no GAA) offers is downright stupid to me. Raised homocysteine levels are proven to be involved in artherosclerosis and alzheimer's disease. The 4:1 ratio from my viewpoint is was devised by a company known for being about as shady as they come."

Now to further ad to this statement I never had a problem with GAA until I began to read about it from non-supplement related sources. I actually liked a few products that contained it.

The argument saying it won't give you a heart attack or cause alzheimer's right away is true. However. considering the leading cause of death in America is cardiovascular disease and the fact I hope most of you care what you are putting in your bodies as bodbuilders why increase your risk of developing vascular disease? There is a direct correlation between this and elevated homocysteine levels and until there is an argument presented as to why the 4:1 ratio is safe I will continue to be anti-GAA. It's not like this is an industry secret that a 4:1 ratio is used.
The fact is, if Glycocyamine raises homocysteine levels, I would not take it, becuase theres a direct link between homocysteine levels and cardiovascular disease. However, how tangible is the evidence that Gylcocyamine rasies these???

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wow, really? I've seen negative stuff on guianidipropiniblahblah acid before, too. Both of these are included in lots of no-Xplode type products. Hmmm.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Wow, really? I've seen negative stuff on guianidipropiniblahblah acid before, too. Both of these are included in lots of no-Xplode type products. Hmmm.
Yup, ALOT. They say if there's a 4:1 ratio of BA : Glyco then it cancels out the bad side effects. But I wouldn't put something like that into my body, if theres a chance for something like that.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1231523 is the article that 'sparked' alot of debate.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I don't trust T-nation at all they are full of sh%t on alot of stuff and use their articles to sway people into buying their supplements.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I don't trust T-nation at all they are full of sh%t on alot of stuff and use their articles to sway people into buying their supplements.

I agree, they aren't that reliable. but there is some information here, not only from T-Nation, that needs to be brought to everyone's attention. If we, as mostly young guys, are taking in a compound several times a day for many years that causes problems later on in life, well, i think people have a right to know about it. whether it came from T-nation or not, it deserves some scrutiny.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I don't use anything that contains it so i'm not worried. But for sure it should be looked into

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
In all fairness, here is a compilation of some stuff I've found. You be the judge

Pogue's Rebuttal - Defending Glycocyamine
http://pogue972.blogspot.com/2006/09/t-mag-slams-muscle-milk.html

T-Nation Article
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1231523

Some studies of the effects of glycocyamine done on HUMANS:

http://www.ajcn.org/...t/full/80/3/539

A series of papers (179-182) showed that a combination of betaine and guanidinoacetate (glycocyamine) improves the symptoms of subjects with chronic illness, including heart disease, without toxicity. Betaine can provide a methyl group to guanidinoacetate, via methionine, for the formation of creatine (179). Overall, treatment led to an improved sense of well-being, less fatigue, greater strength and endurance, and increased desire for (and performance of) physical and mental work. Subjects with cardiac decompensation (arteriosclerosis or rheumatic disease) (180) and congestive heart failure (181) had improved cardiac function. Subjects gained weight (improved nitrogen balance) and reported lessened symptoms of arthritis and asthma and increased libido, and those with hypertension experienced transient reduced blood pressure.
"Guanidinoacetate methyltransferase (GAMT) catalyzes the last step of creatine biosynthesis by converting guanidinoacetate (GAA) and S-adenosylmethionine (SAM) into creatine and S-adenosylhomocysteine (SAH), Scheme 1. In humans, GAMT is found mainly in the liver and the pancreas. GAMT deficiency is an inborn error of creatine synthesis which leads to creatine deficiency and accumulation of guanidinoacetate in tissues and body fluids. This can cause mental retardation, speech delay, and epilepsy. "

Velichkova P, Himo F. Theoretical study of the methyl transfer in guanidinoacetate methyltransferase. J Phys Chem B Condens Matter Mater Surf Interfaces Biophys. 2006 Jan 12;110(1):16-9
Derek Syntrax's "Theory of a 4:1 ratio"
Supplementing Betaine With Glycocyamine
The study showed that superphysiological dosages of glycocyamine, in effect, deplete the liver of methyl groups and vastly increase the blood concentration of homocysteine. Once I realized the implications of this, I set out to find a way to provide the liver with more methyl groups so that homocysteine would be adequately detoxified as well as making more efficient the glycocyamine to creatine conversion. After much research and experimentation, supplementing the diet with betaine stood out as the single best way to provide the body with an abundance of methyl groups.

Betaine is also known as trimethylglycine. Trimethylglycine is efficiently metabolized into dimethylglycine and dimethylglycine is efficiently metabolized into monomethylglycine. Each of the above demethylation reactions frees up a methyl group to be used by the body. At first, we thought a 1:1 ratio of betaine to glycocyamine would be sufficient. However, after a year of experimentation, we realized that a 4:1 ratio is optimal.

* This is where I must issue my warning. If you take glycocyamine in any dosage, it is imperative to also take at least 4 times the amount of betaine.

I must also point out that over the last several months I have read numerous articles on glycocyamine touting its many benefits. The articles went on to recommend taking 3-5 grams of glycocyamine per day. Amazingly, there was not even one mention of the use of betaine. Believe it or not, these articles were written by PhD's. How could someone that is considered an expert of experts nonchalantly recommend the usage of a compound in high dosages without even having the slightest degree of understanding of how the compound works or its safety profile? Unbelievable! There are several products currently on the market that include glycocyamine. My strong recommendation is to not take any product that does not specifically contain 4 times as much betaine as glycocyamine.

What I want everyone to take away from this article is that glycocyamine is an amazing new nutrient that can offer great benefits to both creatine responders and nonresponders alike. It is a compound that everyone should consider adding to his or her supplementation program. An optimal dosage is 1 gram per day. The only caveat: use betaine and make sure its dosage is 4 times the amount of glycocyamine.

uhockey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ignore the T-nation stuff, come see the debate at bb and judge for yourself. It seems Renegade is only posting the "positive" spin here and myself and deserusan and kneller and all the others don't have time to have this same debate twice on two different boards.:yawn:

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Ignore the T-nation stuff, come see the debate at bb and judge for yourself. It seems Renegade is only posting the "positive" spin here and myself and deserusan and kneller and all the others don't have time to have this same debate twice on two different boards.:yawn:
Actually I'm not advocating it at all. I'm in the midsts of switching over to products that don't contain GPA myself (expensive to buy all new stuff and therefore slow-going). I was just trying to spark a debate by providing both sides of the coin.

Thanks for stopping by though :)

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
uhockey i take it your against it's use then?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I noticed it's also in Mucle Milk.

I'm still on the fence over this one.

iDShaDoW

Awards
Haha, sorry to bring up such an old topic... but has it been figured out if this stuff is actually bad for you or not?

I just got a 5lb tub of Muscle Milk in the mail from Nutraplanet and it's still the version of Muscle Milk with the GCC in it.

pushinweightw

Awards
  • Established
Haha, sorry to bring up such an old topic... but has it been figured out if this stuff is actually bad for you or not?

I just got a 5lb tub of Muscle Milk in the mail from Nutraplanet and it's still the version of Muscle Milk with the GCC in it.

I would not be to worried about one tub. I have a couple products that contain it and I am still taking them, just not repurchesing them.