Vitex Extract

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
Vitex is purportedly an excellent anti-prolactin, and it's believed that it stimulates the release of LH.

Can you get an extract of the active in Vitex, or at the least, some bulk Vitex for us?

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Vitex is purportedly an excellent anti-prolactin, and it's believed that it stimulates the release of LH.

Can you get an extract of the active in Vitex, or at the least, some bulk Vitex for us?
I've used vitex for prolactin purposes. However, Dr.D is of the opinion that it suppresses LH and should only be used for short periods of time if other anti-prolactin alternatives aren't available. Just an FYI. I haven't researched it myself.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
I've done some preliminary research, which has not indicated LH suppression. I'll have to look deeper. Thanks for the heads up.

Of course, if used on-cycle, LH is already suppressed anyway.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
I'll work on it. I'd like to see Dr.D's documentation on this, because casual searching via google brings up dozens of sites saying it increases LH. If the LH-decreasing effects are so well documented, where are the studies? I'm not saying he's wrong; I'm saying I see no evidence.

I did find this case study, which seems to suggest an increase in LH (and I know a single case study is not authoritative):
Hum Reprod. 1994 Aug;9(8):1469-70. Related Articles, Links

Comment in:
Hum Reprod. 1995 Aug;10(8):2175-6.

Multiple follicular development associated with herbal medicine.

Cahill DJ, Fox R, Wardle PG, Harlow CR.

University of Bristol Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, St Michael's Hospital, UK.

After three endocrinologically normal cycles while undergoing unstimulated in-vitro fertilization treatment, a woman took a herbal medicine (Vitex agnus castus) at the beginning of a fourth unstimulated IVF treatment cycle. In this fourth cycle, her serum gonadotrophin and ovarian hormone measurements were disordered. One embryo resulted from the three eggs collected but a pregnancy did not ensue. She had symptoms suggestive of mild ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome in the luteal phase. Two subsequent cycles were endocrinologically normal. We do not advocate the use of this herbal medicine to promote normal ovarian function.

Publication Types:
Case Reports

PMID: 7989506 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
And another one that suggests an increase in LH:

J Reprod Med. 2004 Apr;49(4):289-93. Related Articles, Links

A nutritional supplement for improving fertility in women: a pilot study.

Westphal LM, Polan ML, Trant AS, Mooney SB.

Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA. [email protected]

OBJECTIVE: To determine the impact of nutritional supplementation on optimization of reproductive health in women. STUDY DESIGN: A double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study was initiated to determine the effects of FertilityBlend (Daily Wellness Co., Sunnyvale, California), a proprietary nutritional supplement containing chasteberry and green tea extracts, L-arginine, vitamins (including folate) and minerals. Changes in progesterone level, basal body temperature, menstrual cycle, pregnancy rate and side effects were monitored. RESULTS: Thirty women aged 24-46 years who had tried unsuccessfully to conceive for 6-36 months completed the study. After 3 months, the supplement group (n = 15) demonstrated a trend toward an increase in mean midluteal phase progesterone level (from 8.2 to 12.8 ng/mL, P = .08) and a significant increase in the average number of days in the cycle with basal temperatures >37 degrees C during the luteal phase (6.8-9.7 days, P = .04). The placebo group (n = 15) did not show any notable changes after treatment in any of the parameters studied. After 5 months, 5 of the 15 women in the supplement group were pregnant (33%), and none of the 15 women in the placebo group were (P <.01). No significant side effects were noted. CONCLUSION: Nutritional supplementation may provide an attractive alternative or complement to conventional fertility therapy.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 15134155 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
EDIT: Vitex = chasteberry

Last edited:
custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
Any particular extract you want from the herb?

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
LOL I/we would need to find out what the active is. Some of what I've read says that it is a combination of different compounds, so maybe just the herb in powdered form would be best.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
Might also help prevent/relieve BPH and prevent prostate cancer:

Planta Med. 2005 Oct;71(10):910-6. Related Articles, Links

A Vitex agnus-castus extract inhibits cell growth and induces apoptosis in prostate epithelial cell lines.

Weisskopf M, Schaffner W, Jundt G, Sulser T, Wyler S, Tullberg-Reinert H.

Institute of Pharmaceutical Biology, University of Basel, Schonbeinstrasse 40, 4003 Basel, Switzerland.

Extracts of Vitex agnus-castus fruits (VACF) are described to have beneficial effects on disorders related to hyperprolactinemia (cycle disorders, premenstrual syndrome). A VACF extract has recently been shown to exhibit antitumor activities in different human cancer cell lines. In the present study, we explored the antiproliferative effects of a VACF extract with a particular focus on apoptosis-inducing and potential cytotoxic effects. Three different human prostate epithelial cell lines (BPH-1, LNCaP, PC-3) representing different disease stages and androgen responsiveness were chosen. The action of VACF on cell viability was assessed using the WST-8-tetrazolium assay. Cell proliferation in cells receiving VACF alone or in combination with a pan-caspase inhibitor (Z-VAD-fmk) was quantified using a Crystal Violet assay. Flow cytometric cell cycle analysis and measurement of DNA fragmentation using an ELISA method were used for studying the induction of apoptosis. Lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) activity was determined as a marker of cytotoxicity. The extract inhibited proliferation of all three cell lines in a concentration-dependent manner with IC (50) values below 10 microg/mL after treatment for 48 h. Cell cycle analysis and DNA fragmentation assays suggest that part of the cells were undergoing apoptosis. The VACF-induced decrease in cell number was partially inhibited by Z-VAD-fmk, indicating a caspase-dependent apoptotic cell death. However, the concentration-dependent LDH activity of VACF treated cells indicated cytotoxic effects as well. These data suggest that VACF contains components that inhibit proliferation and induce apoptosis in human prostate epithelial cell lines. The extract may be useful for the prevention and/or treatment not only of benign prostatic hyperplasia but also of human prostate cancer.
PMID: 16254821 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
Inhibiting prolactin might raise luteinizing hormone levels:

Suppression of plasma luteinizing hormone by prolactin in the male rat
SJ Winters and DL Loriaux

Although a direct effect of PRL on gonadotropins has been previously suggested, it has not been convincingly demonstrated. The secretion of LH and FSH was studied in response to the stimuli of castration and LH releasing hormone administration in adult male rats made hyperprolactinemic with ectopic pituitary glands. Although plasma LH and FSH levels were similar in non-castrate hyperprolactinemic rats vs. controls, LH concentrations 24 h postcastration were less in hyperprolactinemic animals as compared to controls (P less than 0.001). The level of LH achieved was inversely correlated with the PRL concentration generated (r = -0.71; P less than 0.01). LH suppression was evident in hyperprolactinemic rats at 1 and 3 days postcastration but was no longer observable at 7 days postcastration. After LH releasing hormone administration to non-castrate rats the rise in plasma LH was significantly less in the hyperprolactinemic animals (P less than 0.05). These experiments support the hypothesis that PRL directly inhibits LH secretion, presumably at the pituitary level.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
This would indicate that it suppresses testosterone production then, would it not?
That's not what I gathered from the abstract. The abstract indicates that it kills certain cells (apoptosis), which would not be caused by a decrease in test.

A VACF extract has recently been shown to exhibit antitumor activities in different human cancer cell lines. In the present study, we explored the antiproliferative effects of a VACF extract with a particular focus on apoptosis-inducing and potential cytotoxic effects.
The extract inhibited proliferation of all three cell lines in a concentration-dependent manner with IC (50) values below 10 microg/mL after treatment for 48 h. Cell cycle analysis and DNA fragmentation assays suggest that part of the cells were undergoing apoptosis.
Also, if you read the abstract, it wasn't in vivo, meaning the study was not conducted in males, it was conducted with cell lines, so there was no test to suppress.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
States several times that vitex increases LH, which in women increases progesterone, but in men would increase test.

I think this could be a really really good cycle support that we have been missing out on.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
Bump.

I've been taking NOW Vitex at 1800mg ed for around a week. So far, I have noticed increased sex drive (evidence of increased test), increased ejaculatory volume (evidence of increased LH), and decreased refractory period after sex (evidence of decreased prolactin).

I know n=1, but I am loving this stuff. It's so damn cheap, I highly recommend trying it.

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
Sorry for the delay; I had a few things to do before this.

It should be no problem, but it may be abnothr 2-3 weeks before it is in stock.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man. Do you know what it will be standardized at? The NOW is standardized at like 5%.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I've used the Sloaray brand Vitex with the same results. I had some nipple puffiness from a M1T cycle a long time ago and the Vitex did reduce it practically overnight. My mood got very sour though so I wonder if it has an effect on dopamine as well..ala cabergoline.

Definitely pumps up ejac volume.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
I've used the Sloaray brand Vitex with the same results. I had some nipple puffiness from a M1T cycle a long time ago and the Vitex did reduce it practically overnight. My mood got very sour though so I wonder if it has an effect on dopamine as well..ala cabergoline.

Definitely pumps up ejac volume.
I believe it acts on dopamine in the same manner as cabergoline.

I have been in a great mood this week. I thought that something that increased dopamine would be good for moods?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Up until a certain level..then it can be bad I suppose. It's purely anecdotal on my part and FWIW..I am a moody little beotch :rant:

It was during PCt so...

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
Yeah. Might have been other factors.

I'm glad that the effects I'm seeing are not placebo, and that others have felt them.

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If your wanting to use Vitex to boost LH, why not just opt for Avena Sativa as CNW already sells that, and it is good because I am taking it. I didn't want to start a new thread but mabye someone who is intelligent would like to explain the differences between the two and which would be better.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I've used vitex for prolactin purposes. However, Dr.D is of the opinion that it suppresses LH and should only be used for short periods of time if other anti-prolactin alternatives aren't available. Just an FYI. I haven't researched it myself.
Yeahright,

Jrkarp may be right on this one. I had assumed initially that it hurt LH levels because it suppresses libido, but it appears that it may not. I'm still not sure that it boosts LH much though, and libido is adversely affected for sure.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
I thought Avena's method of action was through lowering of SHBG production. I haven't bothered to look into it any further so it could increase LH as well. But since it may act via a different mechanism stacking the two might be the ticket.

If your wanting to use Vitex to boost LH, why not just opt for Avena Sativa as CNW already sells that, and it is good because I am taking it. I didn't want to start a new thread but mabye someone who is intelligent would like to explain the differences between the two and which would be better.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
I was first interested in Vitex for prolactin suppression. The LH boosting seems to just be a pleasant side effect.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
Yeahright,

Jrkarp may be right on this one. I had assumed initially that it hurt LH levels because it suppresses libido, but it appears that it may not. I'm still not sure that it boosts LH much though, and libido is adversely affected for sure.
I know my n=1, but my libido is increased. Also, Bio said that he had the same effects as me.

Maybe there are other variables that determine the effect on libido?

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I know my n=1, but my libido is increased. Also, Bio said that he had the same effects as me.

Maybe there are other variables that determine the effect on libido?
I'm not sure, but it was once used by Christian monks to suppress libido and thoughts of woman. That's why it's called "chaste berry". This use was well documented. It may or may not boost libido initially, but I would be careful with long term use. Lupron, for example, puts test production into hyperdrive for about 3-5wks, then it crushes it hard.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure, but it was once used by Christian monks to suppress libido and thoughts of woman. That's why it's called "chaste berry". This use was well documented. It may or may not boost libido initially, but I would be careful with long term use. Lupron, for example, puts test production into hyperdrive for about 3-5wks, then it crushes it hard.
Some of my reading said that it was ironic that it was used to suppress libido in light of its LH enhancing qualities. These were, of course, not in scientific articles but rather in articles on herbal medicine web sites.

A lot of traditional herbal medicine has solid backing, but let's not forget that this still came from a time in which bleeding with leeches was used to cure common ailments. It could have been a placebo effect.

It might well suppress libido in some people, but I don't know by what mechanism it would do so, since it elevates LH which should elevate test.

I don't know by what percentage LH would have to be raised in order to increase ejaculatory volume, but it has in me and bio (from what he says), and I have read reports on other sites saying the same.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
... I don't know by what percentage LH would have to be raised in order to increase ejaculatory volume, but it has in me and bio (from what he says), and I have read reports on other sites saying the same.
I won't deny your results. It does sound like it may have some benefits, at least up front. Please let me know what you get from it if you stay on for 3-6 months. I'd be interested to know.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
If I decide to stay on it that long, I will happily report results. To be honest, though, I usually cycle all my supps.

axekick

Awards
I'm about to go get some Vitex now. I have had gyno from a rediculous uneducated cycle of m1t about 9 months ago for which nolva followed by letro failed probably because I waited too long. I have accepted my condition, but it would be cool if something could help reduce it. Anyway, I'll pay attention to all noticeable effects and update y'all on results.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
Good luck.

Also, ralox is purported to be an excellent gyno reducer.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Hey JK, I'm sorry that I can't produce the document but I was watching CNN the other night and the scroll at the bottom read that new studies showed where Raloxifene reduced the risk of breast cancer but also significantly raised the risk of blood clots and strokes. I searched the CNN website but was unable to find anything about it. Just thought I'd throw this out there.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Hey JK, I'm sorry that I can't produce the document but I was watching CNN the other night and the scroll at the bottom read that new studies showed where Raloxifene reduced the risk of breast cancer but also significantly raised the risk of blood clots and strokes. I searched the CNN website but was unable to find anything about it. Just thought I'd throw this out there.
Same thing with Nolva. People think it improves lipids, but just the opposite really.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
I love the history of words from Chasteberry to Vitex. Same substance with common names from the opposite end of the spectrum. Latin is the only dead language I trust(haha)
I ran a two week cycle of Vitex a couple of years ago trying to increase the libido pleasure pathway. The most profound effect was apathy and inability to concentrate with a general drowsiness, much like my experience with presciption anti-prolactins.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Interesting to note that the new ALRI product RESTORE contains a vitex extract.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
am currently on restore for pct starting 4th day, big increase in libido, mood also seems better. this may be one of the best supps to come out in a while, my results seem better than jw/hyperdrol much cheaper too.