Zinc/Magnesium Question.

Mason

Awards
Taking Zinc and Magnesium is like ZMA right?
A realtive of my best friend said that we should take ZMA because it is a natural test booster and as I have researched it can boost test levels and helps athletes because they are deficent in zinc from our intense workouts. So is it okay for a 15 year old to be taking 120 mg of Zinc and 500 mg of Magnesium before bed each night? I have been for the last 3 nights and I just want to ask you all if it is okay?

Onslaught

Awards
  • Established
It's more than ok, it's a great idea. You're not going to get any T boosting (god I am tired of hearing that term), but there should be some discernable effects. Given the average diet, most are zinc and magnesium deficient. So, you're doing a good thing.

Mason

Awards
It's more than ok, it's a great idea. You're not going to get any T boosting (god I am tired of hearing that term), but there should be some discernable effects. Given the average diet, most are zinc and magnesium deficient. So, you're doing a good thing.
Okay, thanks. Isn't that a little much then?
120mg - 500mg
The FDA reccomends 15 mg of Zinc daily and I get 15 in my mutli-vitamin, 15 in zipfizz, and probably more in food.
I don't need to take it seperately then do I?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I would just take the multi and zip once in morning and one at night (not both one or the other in morning and other at night)

You dont need to take any more than that. And if your last question refers to if you have to take zinc and magnesium seperate ( i wasnt sure what you meant) no they dont

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
keep your zinc below 50mg.
Agreed... Zinc in the dosages of 100mgs a day... will cause an imbalance with copper... and over time becomes Toxic, building up in your system. It is a Heavy metal, and can cause problem if to much is consumed. 50mgs before bed is MORE than enough. ZMA is only 30mgs.

Adams

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I read that zma only brings test back up to normal levels. keep in mind that multi's have calcium in them. calcium blocks the absorption of zinc. alcohol depletes the body of zinc also.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bump an old one for some more discussion.

I have been using ambien on and of for sleep. I really want to get away from it. But I tell you, waking up well rested is really a good feeling. You don't know how much your body has missed it until you get it. Anyway.

WHat are the optimal ratios/doses of Mag/Zinc. I know that there are issues with excessive zinc and don't want to take more than I need.

I'm seeing ZMA products ranging from Z-30mg/M-450mg to Z-10mg/M-300mg. I want the health benefits of course, but my primary interest is improved sleep.