Anyone use any supplements for vision? (that work)

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Over the last two years I have noticed my eye sight slowly getting worse. For some reason, things are extremely clear right after yawning then go back out agai. I only have problems with reading stuff at a distance. Anybody have any recommendations?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Grapeseed and Bilberry extracts are supposed to be good for strained eyes. My eyesight is fine, but I do think these help with eye fatigue at the very least.

There's supposedly some kind of eye excercises that can help improve vision but I have never heard of anyone doing them.

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Grapeseed and Bilberry extracts are supposed to be good for strained eyes. My eyesight is fine, but I do think these help with eye fatigue at the very least.

There's supposedly some kind of eye excercises that can help improve vision but I have never heard of anyone doing them.

Yeah your supposed to look at something very far away and let your eyes focus then look at somethign very close, like a foot or two away and let your eyes focus and keep repeating.

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
Beer works great. You wouldn't believe how much better women look after a case or so.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Beer works great. You wouldn't believe how much better women look after a case or so.
:rofl:
Lutein and viatmin A are also considered good for eye health, I believe lutein is something people use for macular degeneration.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input. I need to pick up some Lutein and try that out. As well as those exercises.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I have a pair of eye exercising glasses. They are huge all black goggles with pinholes in them. I put them on, hunch low behind the steering wheel of my beater, drive slow and creep out the neighbors doing my human Drone fly imitation, arrrrrrrrrr........

You could try Vinpocetine and Taurine, both are linked to renewed eye health. Vinpo and Piracetam seem to improve both my eyesight and hearing especially, the Pira is more about improving neural efficency than in a direct effect on the sensory apparati. Dual apparatus is a apparati?, maybe if you're Italian?, or is it just a 3am thing?

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hmm...do these Glasses work well? What has your experience been with them?

Also, I've used Taurine but haven't seen (no pun intended) any improvement. I will definetely look into Vinpo and Piracetam more...Thanks Rogue!

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ive seen lots of references to blueberrys slowing macular degeneration.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Apologies, Rage, I should'nt have made "light" of your situation, I'm in the "dark" when it comes to eye exercise glasses, just having some late night fun. Not yet had the need to "gaze" into this area.

Here's a possibility
http://www.toolsforwellness.com/51053.html

and another is Carnosine drops for eye health, don't know much about it other than it's an expensive substance.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
You should stop masturbating so damn much.
Between your eyesight and hairy palms, you are one messed up mofo!

Seriously, I've read that there really isn't any supplement or exercise that can strengthen eyesight.
I'm not saying don't try the stuff these dudes have recommended, I just wouldn't go overboard.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well...masturbating wouldn't be the problem if my aim was better. Shotting myself in the eyes never fails.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I had the corrective vision surgery done several years ago. That procedure does not stop your sight from going bad due to macular degeneration and the facility recommended lutein, beta carotene, and a b complex for that.

Also, I have heard alot of people say that Bilberry is good for night vision or 'tired eyes.'

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I had the corrective vision surgery done several years ago. That procedure does not stop your sight from going bad due to macular degeneration and the facility recommended lutein, beta carotene, and a b complex for that.

Also, I have heard alot of people say that Bilberry is good for night vision or 'tired eyes.'
HEy man,

Thanks a lot for the input

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
No problem. Always glad to try and help. Also, something I didnt put in the post before is that borage oil is good for dry eyes - I say that from the eye surgeons recomendation as well as me using it and it helping with that. (Dry eyes was one of the after effects of the surgery).

johngalt

Awards
Just to second the blueberry recommendation. I have an old uncle with great eyesight who credits his vision to eating blueberries on a daily basis. Granted, this is a sample where n = 1, but your other option is corrrective surgery if it's that much of a problem.

rrgg

rrgg

Awards
  • Established
Just to second the blueberry recommendation. I have an old uncle with great eyesight who credits his vision to eating blueberries on a daily basis. Granted, this is a sample where n = 1, but your other option is corrrective surgery if it's that much of a problem.
He probably already had good vision to begin with. Blueberries aren't going to give you perfect vision if you didn't already have it. (i.e. My father and grandfather have perfect vision and don't eat blueberries. I eat them and mine is horrible.)

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm starting to think about going to an optometrist to ahving them checked out....to get a better direction with things and to see if anything needs to be done.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I'm starting to think about going to an optometrist to ahving them checked out....to get a better direction with things and to see if anything needs to be done.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far.
I agree with you. Eyesight is nothing to play with and no harm should come from having them checked to be sure.

Vitb6

Awards
This thread makes me laugh.

I'm an eye doctor and I would tell the original poster to go see an eye doctor. you ned glasses! There is no supplement or any eye exercises that will help. At all. Period.

Those eye exercises is called "The See Clearly Method" and it is not only an outrageous lie but a waste of time and money. The only eye exercises that work to improve vision is when people have Vision Therapy, but those patients have an issues that needs to be corrected (amblyopia, strabismus, etc...).

Vitamin A is fat soluble so you don't want to be taking a lot of Vitamin A. All it does is improve your rod sensitivity for night vision (very slightly). Not worth it.

Betacarotene is the same as Vitamin A except it can cause cancer if you smoke. So bottom line is if you smoke stay the f**k away.

Blueberries. LOL. Never heard that one.

Lutein is in something called "ICaps". More for preserving vision rather than "gaining" or recovering lost vision. Don't take until you are over 50.

Bottom line: See your eye doctor and get glasses or contacts.

rrgg

rrgg

Awards
  • Established
Lutein is in something called "ICaps". More for preserving vision rather than "gaining" or recovering lost vision. Don't take until you are over 50.
Why not take lutein until 50?

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This thread makes me laugh.

I'm an eye doctor and I would tell the original poster to go see an eye doctor. you ned glasses! There is no supplement or any eye exercises that will help. At all. Period.

Those eye exercises is called "The See Clearly Method" and it is not only an outrageous lie but a waste of time and money. The only eye exercises that work to improve vision is when people have Vision Therapy, but those patients have an issues that needs to be corrected (amblyopia, strabismus, etc...).

Vitamin A is fat soluble so you don't want to be taking a lot of Vitamin A. All it does is improve your rod sensitivity for night vision (very slightly). Not worth it.

Betacarotene is the same as Vitamin A except it can cause cancer if you smoke. So bottom line is if you smoke stay the f**k away.

Blueberries. LOL. Never heard that one.

Bottom line: See your eye doctor and get glasses or contacts.
right..IF you go back a few posts you will see that I'm going to seek the advice of an Optomitrists first and foremost. Thanks for the info.

sublimejeh

sublimejeh

Awards
  • Established
caroteneizzle

haha or get laser eye surgery... expensiiveeeeee

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i have read that beta carotene helps eyesight, especially those with poor night vision.

If You Get Too Much It is nearly impossible to overdose on beta-carotene because the body excretes what it doesn't need. However, if you ingest high levels of beta-carotene from foods (such as carrot juice) or supplements, the palms of your hands and the soles of your feet may turn orange. If this occurs, consult your doctor. In most cases, the coloration is harmless and will gradually fade if you reduce your beta-carotene intake.

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,10103,00.html

that is better than hairy palms i suppose

ApOcaLyPSe_1985

Awards
While I have not experienced the benefits myself, there seems to be great results with Acetyl L-Carnitine (ALCAR). I'm personally interested in it myself, primarily for for the nootropic and cardiovascular effects. Give it a try, it's cheap and the required daily intake is quite low. Read the reviews first ofcourse :p

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input guys. First course of action before spending more money on supps (my supply is getting out of control)...I"m going to see an Eye Quack and see what's really going on with them.

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
not sure but I heard that glasses and contacts actually weaken ones eyes.
kind of like if you just walked around on crutches and never nursed the leg back to life.
thats why so many people end up having to get stronger scrips for glasses.
just an opinion.

not saying the herbs and exercises will help(although per experience herbs have helped me more than harmed me).

i would get corrective surgery if it were applicable to my condition if I were the op.
glasses and contacts would be too much for me to deal with if I didnt have to.

daniel35

daniel35

Awards
  • Established
Lithium Orotate helps me greatly. It is supposed to lower blood pressure in your eyes.

daniel35

daniel35

Awards
  • Established
Lithium Orotate helps me greatly. It is supposed to lower blood pressure in your eyes.

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
any supplement that is really good for vision and brain both...
like one that covers both areas well.