Dealing with the Gas

ZoMbSta

Awards
I am currently bulking and consuming 8-10 meals a day...which includes 7 servings of protein...this causes me to have very severe loud and darn smelly farts...so bad can be smelt from another room...any suggestions on how to deal with it??Thanks...

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
wear thicker boxers and pants. That way, the sound is muffled and doesn't escape right away. This will give you some time to do a little walking to disperse the offending oder over a larger area, thus spareing those who whould become exposed to the the evil gas. :nutkick:

Just kinnding- For the most part- the gas just comes with the teritory. I beleive there are some supps out there that help. Mayby "gas-x" or something. I know there are a bunch of gas supps at the grocery store or something, although I dont know if they really work or not.

GuyinLA

Awards
Couple thoughts:
1. Consider the quality of the protein you consume. If you are buying lower-quality Concentrate, that can be a cause.
2. Digestive enzymes can help.

shct

Banned
Awards
  • Established
let me ask my girlfriend...haha - shes the one who has to deal with it ..

shct

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Def try some probiotics like acidopholous, bromerlain, and papaya enzymes. Also see if you can get some aminogen with your shakes. DO NOT take aminogen with fiborous carbs and protein, your stomach will be in knots. Also charcoal caps can help with gas too.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
What APowerz and GuyinLA said. The enzymes made a huge difference for me.

rcaz01

Awards
It was already mentioned but I have found I don't have this problem with higher quality proteins and eating some carbs with the protein seems to help as well.

mab904

mab904

Awards
Digestive enzymes may be of some benefit. Betaine hcl can also help with the breakdown and digestion of protein and fat. For that bloated feeling in the gut I've found liquid chlorophyll helpful. :)

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also, just to add to the list try some Aloe Vera juice and Ginger caps. Mab what exactly is cholorphyll and where is it found?

mab904

mab904

Awards
Also, just to add to the list try some Aloe Vera juice and Ginger caps. Mab what exactly is cholorphyll and where is it found?
Chlorophyll is the green matter in plants. It performs metabolic functions in plants such as respiration and growth.
In supplemental form it is usually made from the alfalfa plant. It can help cleanse the body and maintain the action of the circulatory, intestinal, and reproductive systems. Chlorophyll can help to strengthen cellular walls in animal tissue and promotes the elimination of toxins from the body.
I use Nature’s Sunshine brand. I get it from a local herb shop. But most health/whole foods stores should carry it. The first time I ever used liquid chlorophyll was for food poisoning and the results were impressive. I always keep some on hand now and take a swig whenever my stomach acts up from eating so much darn food.:)

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Bromelain/Papain tabs help a lot but the bigger issue might be your sources of protein. As LA said, whey concentrate can be really bad..it tears me a new one and I can only stomach blends with AminoGen like ON's 100% whey. I'm finding that Casein mixes really digest well with little gas.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Fiber can also be a culprit with regards to gas, but I think a good fiber intake (increase gradually) helps alleviate gas b/c it promotes regularity.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I have heard anecdotal evidence that having another pull your finger - while in and of itself not a preventative measure - can be the source of endless amusement when dealing with this issue.

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
Try some OTC phazime or Gas-x. Beano could help too.

ZoMbSta

Awards
Bromelain/Papain tabs help a lot but the bigger issue might be your sources of protein. As LA said, whey concentrate can be really bad..it tears me a new one and I can only stomach blends with AminoGen like ON's 100% whey. I'm finding that Casein mixes really digest well with little gas.
how would i know whether im using cheap low quality whey?...my protein is a blend of concentrate and isolate...

is aminogen for real??...tried before but din see how it was useful then besides their so called better absorption...

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
My gas used to be intolerable until I cut out all dairy.

Turns out that I'm Lactose Intolerant. I tried Lactaid and it did nothing for me. The only thing that works is dairy abstinence.

Maybe you should try that out for a couple weeks and see if it works?

Also, someone said higher quality protein helps. I agree, Whey Protein Concentrate gives me 10X the gas of Whey Protein Isolate.

GuyinLA

Awards
how would i know whether im using cheap low quality whey?...my protein is a blend of concentrate and isolate...

is aminogen for real??...tried before but din see how it was useful then besides their so called better absorption...
The nutritional content label lists ingredients in order of prevalence. If the first ingredient listed is concentrate, that is the primary protein in the product. I personally try to avoid all protein concentrates, but, since concentrate is cheaper, I pay more in doing so.

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
Since I stopped using whey concentrate, my gas has not been nearly as bad. I now order custom protein formulas with higher grade protein. I still have gas, but just not as bad.

Gumbo

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
BTW, splitting your meals up, say 8 instead of 6, also helps. Smaller servings are easier to digest. I did this toward the end of Bobo's bulking program.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
The fiber helps quite a bit as Beo stated. I put a heaping tablespoon of Psyllium husks in my bedtime casein shake and I am as regular as the subway. lol

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I posted a colon cleanse supplement I tried on the review board. Even though I didn't like the supplement itself it did clean me out and gas is still a stranger to me. Also try not drinking water within ten minutes of eating meals, I notice a bid difference when I do this, I feel drinking water with meals dilutes the acids and enzymes in your intestines that breakdown food. Take enzymes and probiotics on an empty stomach 10 minutes before you eat

I use Garden of Lifes Omegazyme, which are enzymes, and then Primal Defense which is a probiotic. These are what I feel are the best supps on the market for digestion and overall intestinal health. Though they are pricy they are worth it, do reasearch on these compared to other brands of that kind, and these by far are the most powerful and extensive.

I was in the same boat you were in and using the right techniques I never get painful or frequent gas even at 4300 calories a day. Oh, also try some ginger.

ZoMbSta

Awards
BTW, splitting your meals up, say 8 instead of 6, also helps. Smaller servings are easier to digest. I did this toward the end of Bobo's bulking program.
im already 8-10 a meals a day and cannot see how much more i be spiltting it?...however 4 of the 10 meals a day i take is after w/o...which is at night since 9pm...

after w/o ends at 9pm...i have my first protein shake with dextrose..then 9.30pm i will have my dinner...then 10pm i will have my 2nd protein shake...then at 11pm i will have my next meal and finally at 12am i will have my final protein shake and will hit the sheets at 12.30am...the only reason i am doing this insane way of eating is that i am following the Max-OT bulking plan..anybody else got a better faster bulking?

i also take my enzymes after i have consumed my meals..is that wrong? is probotics like yogurt a good choice?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I would take the enzymes just before eating. For example, in the morning, I take my enzymes, and then I cook my eggs. How is your fiber intake? I can't place where I read it, but supposedly the longer food is in the lower half of the digestive tract the worse your gas will be. So if you get a good mix of soluble and insoluble fiber, this combo will slow things down at the beginning, thus lowering the GI of your meal, but it will also speed things up on the "lower" end, pushing things through so that excess gas doesn't build up.

I just recently bought more ON whey, and I've noticed an increase in gas again. Once it is gone, I'm going isolate only. I definitely think this makes a difference.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
after w/o ends at 9pm...i have my first protein shake with dextrose..then 9.30pm i will have my dinner...then 10pm i will have my 2nd protein shake...then at 11pm i will have my next meal and finally at 12am i will have my final protein shake and will hit the sheets at 12.30am.
BTW, this is almost like constant intake of food. One meal isn't even digested by the time you're having another one. This may be part of your problem. Try to space it out more, or else combine one of these shakes with your meal at the early part of the day. How many grams of protein do you have per shake/meal? Sounds like you could easily be taking in well over 100g in about 2.5 hours. That must be painful.

Hot Rocks

Awards
Just do as I do!
Blame it on the silly ass Dog…… ruff ruff !

HOT ROCKS

Rock On !
nana-orange.gif

ZoMbSta

Awards
BTW, this is almost like constant intake of food. One meal isn't even digested by the time you're having another one. This may be part of your problem. Try to space it out more, or else combine one of these shakes with your meal at the early part of the day. How many grams of protein do you have per shake/meal? Sounds like you could easily be taking in well over 100g in about 2.5 hours. That must be painful.
my per protein shake is 2 serving size..meaning im consuming 44 grams of protein in 56 grams of powder...cant realli space out more as i already head straight to the gym after work..and i need to sleep around 12 plus to at least squeeze 6 hrs of sleep be4 work the next day...yeah...the squeezing of meals is painful at the beginning..but im used to it now...will feel weird and hungry at night if i dont at least eat that much..haha..anyway somehow or another this eating plan makes me grow like at 3lbs per week...

ZoMbSta

Awards
another thing is will drinking more water helps the digestion or it will not help?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Drinking water with a meal will indeed dilute the digestive enzymes that are trying to break down that food. Drinking lots of water away from meals is good for digestion, just try to not dilute the acids/enzymes when your stomach is full of food.

DarkAnimal73

DarkAnimal73

Awards
A Cork used with Polygrip...........it might hurt after a while:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I've been using ON Whey for the first time in about a year, and suddenly my wife is always spraying Febreeze at me. I will only use Isolates in the future :eek:

whatastud08

whatastud08

Awards
  • Established
I've been using ON Whey for the first time in about a year, and suddenly my wife is always spraying Febreeze at me. I will only use Isolates in the future :eek:
I just went back to ON after using Champion's Whey for nearly a year. I have a can of Febreeze sitting on my desk right now. I guess 10lbs of it was a mistake. Combine that with 16 Uni-Liver tabs im taking and... Im buying some enzymes and probiotics stat.

ZoMbSta

Awards
but whey isolate is supposed to be expensive ain't it? those available in my area are...coupled with the fact that a 5lb whey can only last me 20 days...i will probably need 3 of those 2.5lb isolate per month..gonna cost a bomb..

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
but whey isolate is supposed to be expensive ain't it? those available in my area are...coupled with the fact that a 5lb whey can only last me 20 days...i will probably need 3 of those 2.5lb isolate per month..gonna cost a bomb..
How much protein are you supplementing again? Powder only... just to clarify.

You are 20 so you might be in school but more whole foods will definately help but might be difficult due to school.

Also bulk protein e-tailers are where you are going to want to look.

ZoMbSta

Awards
i supplement 7 scoops a day...totalling 154 gms of protein...i am eating more whole food..though im getting more carbs than protein in those places...and yup..im in school now...

bulk protein e-tailers are gonna be expensive since i don't live in the States and getting it to my country is gonnna cost a bomb...though i get smaller stuff like pills from online stores...

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
Well if possible I would try to cut that down. I would invest in a George Foreman grill, soft pack cooler, some freezable gel packs, washable tupperware and a membership to a wholesale store. Do you have anything like a Cosco or a place that sells bulk food items? What country do you live in? Ever been to the states?

I can get a bag of 10 huge boneless skinless breasts for $13.

Cook them up after a simple lemon juice/cracked pepper marinade, freeze them then take out the night before and pack with broccolli.

ZoMbSta

Awards
Nope..i stay in Singapore if you guys know where..it's near malaysia...and don't have anywhere that sells bulk food like how u mentioned it...never been to the States..would like to some time soon...

though i can get canned tuna and sardines on the cheap..but won't u get sick eating the same stuff everyday?

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
I didn't see anyone mention it but protease is the enzyme for protein digestion. Look for a suplement called Pancreatin. It also contains amylase for carbohydrate digestion and lipase for fats and oils digestion.

NOW makes a very good formula for a low price.
now_.jpg

sweetlips

Awards

you might be lactose intolerant