Mesomorph and TKD Question

ECWHY

Awards
I am about to get my first 2 tubs of Mesomorph tomorrow. Got 2 flavor - Rocket Pop and Tutti Fruity

I plan on starting TKD on the first workout I use it. So, I was wondering how 15g of Dextrose + 1 tbspn of Coconut oil would effect it?

I was either planning on taking the meso with all of that. Probably 2 separate shakes within 5 minutes of each other about 30 min before I start my workout warm up cardio.

I plan to try that first to see how it feels, but wondering if anyone here knows of an optimal way to go about this?

TKD usually recommends to take the carbs 20-30 min before a workout, and from what I've read, a lot of people notice meso hits them in 10-20 minutes (read a few case where it took an hour)

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
I would avoid the coconut oil as it will slow down the ingestion of the carbs! You could just do it all in one shake! I tried TKD for a bit and you can play around with your carbs I ended up have 30 grams worth of dextrose in wonka pixie stix PWO and one scoop of raging full ( 25g HBCD) intra which worked well, I tried a minimal amount of dextrose powder, 10g I think I started with and didn't notice much off it! The mesomorph will be a nice touch, tutu fruits is what I first got, loved it!

ECWHY

Awards
I would avoid the coconut oil as it will slow down the ingestion of the carbs! You could just do it all in one shake! I tried TKD for a bit and you can play around with your carbs I ended up have 30 grams worth of dextrose in wonka pixie stix PWO and one scoop of raging full ( 25g HBCD) intra which worked well, I tried a minimal amount of dextrose powder, 10g I think I started with and didn't notice much off it! The mesomorph will be a nice touch, tutu fruits is what I first got, loved it!
Appreciate it. I am not 100 percent sure if I want to use the coconut oil anyways but was thinking I might try it before legs and see if I feel better compared to when I did not use it.

Was planning to do BCAA + Dextrose + Creatine saturday and then Mesomorph as well. Hopefully that doesn't hinder Mesomorphs effects

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
MCT oil is different, you could use that but it's at more if an expense! Personally I only use MCT after my fast, I follow IF too 16/8 to give me a boost when I first eat but each to their own!
Sounds like a good mix but doesn't meso have creatine in it already, more would probably just be a waste!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nah it shouldn't mess with the effects of mesomorph. If you haven't used meso before you are in for a treat. It's my fav pwo right now. I love both those flavors you got as well.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Appreciate it. I am not 100 percent sure if I want to use the coconut oil anyways but was thinking I might try it before legs and see if I feel better compared to when I did not use it.

Was planning to do BCAA + Dextrose + Creatine saturday and then Mesomorph as well. Hopefully that doesn't hinder Mesomorphs effects
Take the shake 90-120 minutes prior to training, or have a meal (i would suggest a meal over having crappy carbs from dextrose)
then take your mesomorph 15-30 minutes prior.

Taking a pre-workout with food will diminish the effects. I would never suggest taking Meso with a shake or right at a meal. The further away you space your pre-workout meal from your pre-workout dosing the stronger it will be.

I already told you how to set up your pre-workout meal and pre-workout timing here:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/291590-need-carbs-shelby.html#post5715055

If your eating prior to training you can drop the BCAA"s since you already have plenty of aminos in the bloodstream from a protein rich meal prior to training. Food will still be overlapping into the post-workout period. If you are taking the meso fasted (upon waking) then adding the in BCAA's would be a wise choice.

pro45

Awards
I completely agree with Juiced. MCT oil is very underrated as an add in to your peri workout drink.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
take meso on an empty stomach for full effects. if you have food with it or right before it, it will blunt the intensity(as is the case with all stims)

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Will you be using a Blood Ketone Meter?

ECWHY

Awards
Take the shake 90-120 minutes prior to training, or have a meal (i would suggest a meal over having crappy carbs from dextrose)
then take your mesomorph 15-30 minutes prior.

Taking a pre-workout with food will diminish the effects. I would never suggest taking Meso with a shake or right at a meal. The further away you space your pre-workout meal from your pre-workout dosing the stronger it will be.

I already told you how to set up your pre-workout meal and pre-workout timing here:
[
If your eating prior to training you can drop the BCAA"s since you already have plenty of aminos in the bloodstream from a protein rich meal prior to training. Food will still be overlapping into the post-workout period. If you are taking the meso fasted (upon waking) then adding the in BCAA's would be a wise choice.
I could take the dextrose + coconut oil around an hour before then 45 min later (15-30min pwo) take the meso.

Reason why I am using dextrose is because it is recommended on TKD since it would be utilized very fast (other carb sources like smarties, sweet tarts, etc are recommended). I also decided to try the Coconut oil to see if that also improves my workout performance but will try working out with and without it to see if I notice a difference.

I enjoyed that read, along with the videos and other resources you posted in that carb cyclign thread. Very informative. It's a bit carb heavy right now for my keto diet, but when I move to maintaining and eventually lean bulking, you bet your ass I will be using all of that. Great info :)

I completely agree with Juiced. MCT oil is very underrated as an add in to your peri workout drink.
Coconut oil contains MCT oil, it's just less pure so should be fine.

take meso on an empty stomach for full effects. if you have food with it or right before it, it will blunt the intensity(as is the case with all stims)
Appreciate it. I did not know if ~15g of dextrose carbs would be enough to diminish the effects. I can definitely take the dextrose around an hour before I take my mesomorph.

ECWHY

Awards
Will you be using a Blood Ketone Meter?
I would not. I do not own one but don't think at max 30g of carbs a day should knock me out of ketosis.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I would not. I do not own one but don't think at max 30g of carbs a day should knock me out of ketosis.
Oh you'd be surprised, depending on you of course. I couldn't get above 0.5mmol of Beta-hydroxybutyrate until I dropped protein to under 70g (Gluconeogenesis) with about 20g carbs total. KetoStix are worthless.

https://storefront.novacares.com/storefront/free-meter-w-purchase-of-2-boxes-of-ketone-strips.html

If I had to guess, I bet a huge number of people doing "Keto" actually aren't - and it's just low carb with some Acetoacetate in the urine. Not that it matters really, it's the deficit that causes the fat loss. But if it's for health reasons, you need to monitor blood for sure.

ECWHY

Awards
MCT oil is different, you could use that but it's at more if an expense! Personally I only use MCT after my fast, I follow IF too 16/8 to give me a boost when I first eat but each to their own!
Sounds like a good mix but doesn't meso have creatine in it already, more would probably just be a waste!
Extra creatine never hurt anybody ;)

WIll most likely give both approaches a try and see how they work. Might start a Mesomorph supplement log and log how the different timings effect it.

Nah it shouldn't mess with the effects of mesomorph. If you haven't used meso before you are in for a treat. It's my fav pwo right now. I love both those flavors you got as well.
Quite excited to get it. From what I've heard, it should give me a huge kick so I am not too worried about food messing with it but still would like to use it optimally since it is pretty pricey

ECWHY

Awards
Oh you'd be surprised, depending on you of course. I couldn't get above 0.5mmol of Beta-hydroxybutyrate until I dropped protein to under 70g (Gluconeogenesis) with about 20g carbs total. KetoStix are worthless.

[rl]

If I had to guess, I bet a huge number of people doing "Keto" actually aren't - and it's just low carb with some Acetoacetate in the urine. Not that it matters really, it's the deficit that causes the fat loss. But if it's for health reasons, you need to monitor blood for sure.
Hmm, I may consider one in the future. Would be nice to know.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Coconut oil contains MCT oil, it's just less pure so should be fine.
No coconut oil contains loads of other fats, Which will slow down the dextrose ingestion significantly... pure MCTs are digested differently so they shouldn't slow it down

ECWHY

Awards
No coconut oil contains loads of other fats, Which will slow down the dextrose ingestion significantly... pure MCTs are digested differently so they shouldn't slow it down
In that case, it might be useful to take it with coconut oil around an hour and a half prior to working out. I have read that it can slow digestion. Might help me space it around my mesomorph since I could take the dextrose + coconut oil 1hr30min before working out and the mesomorph 15-30min before working out so it's on a more empty stomach

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
In that case, it might be useful to take it with coconut oil around an hour and a half prior to working out. I have read that it can slow digestion. Might help me space it around my mesomorph since I could take the dextrose + coconut oil 1hr30min before working out and the mesomorph 15-30min before working out so it's on a more empty stomach
Use the dextrose with meso and coconut 1.5 hours before
Perfect :)

ECWHY

Awards
Use the dextrose with meso and coconut 1.5 hours before
Perfect :)
WIll definitely take the dextrose and coconut 1.5 before but will let it digest before I take mesomorph. Plan to take meso 20-30min pre workout so by that time, the effects shouldn't be too effected by dextrose (if at all)

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Look TKD you want to spike your insulin PWO..... not 1.5 hours before, 20-30 mins before dextrose is digested really quick, literally 15g of dextrose will have absolutely no effect on the mesomorph, I take meso about 20 mins after eating 100g of peanut butter, same effects! Why you so worried about spacing it? It won't have any less of a hit! Despite what people say about eating and stims, unless you're taking a beta agonist to burn fat, you won't even notice the difference

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I could take the dextrose + coconut oil around an hour before then 45 min later (15-30min pwo) take the meso.

Reason why I am using dextrose is because it is recommended on TKD since it would be utilized very fast (other carb sources like smarties, sweet tarts, etc are recommended). I also decided to try the Coconut oil to see if that also improves my workout performance but will try working out with and without it to see if I notice a difference.

The carb source you want to use is personal preference. I personally would not use Dextrose. its nutrient void. Rice Cakes, cream of wheat, cream of rice, rice, potatoes would all be better sources to use. I personally would skip the fats pre-workout and just focus on a P+C Meal to help you power through your workout. Utilize P+F Meals earlier in the day or later in the day. Focus your carb meals right around your workout for the TKD. My 2 cents. Spiking insulin has very little merit in the grand scheme of things unless you are 24+ hours fasted or training to be an endurance athlete. I could link up quite a few studies.

I enjoyed that read, along with the videos and other resources you posted in that carb cyclign thread. Very informative. It's a bit carb heavy right now for my keto diet, but when I move to maintaining and eventually lean bulking, you bet your ass I will be using all of that. Great info :)
Studies below...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15277409
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17617942

For most of us who train with an intra-workout BCAA or pre-workout meal there is stil food overlap as i touched in the other thread, do we need to spike insulin? absolutely not, food is still digesting, aminos are still present, so do we really need simple carbs post-workout not really..

Could they be optimal .. sure why not? but remember the total calories/macros if meeting your protein/fat/fiber minimums on a daily basis are optimal for your goal.

more:

he postexercise "anabolic window" is a highly misused & abused concept. Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you're an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day. Getting down to brass tacks, a relatively recent study (Power et al. 2009) showed that a 45g dose of whey protein isolate takes appx 50 minutes to cause blood AA levels to peak. Resulting insulin levels, which peaked at 40 minutes after ingestion, remained at elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown (15-30 mU/L) for 120 minutes after ingestion. This dose takes 3 hours for insulin & AA levels to return to baseline from the point of ingestion. The inclusion of carbs to this dose would cause AA & insulin levels to peak higher & stay elevated above baseline even longer.

So much for the anabolic peephole & the urgency to down AAs during your weight training workout; they are already seeping into circulation (& will continue to do so after your training bout is done). Even in the event that a preworkout meal is skipped, the anabolic effect of the postworkout meal is increased as a supercompensatory response (Deldicque et al, 2010). Moving on, another recent study (Staples et al, 2010) found that a substantial dose of carbohydrate (50g maltodextrin) added to 25g whey protein was unable to further increase postexercise net muscle protein balance compared to the protein dose without carbs. Again, this is not to say that adding carbs at this point is counterproductive, but it certainly doesn't support the idea that you must get your lightning-fast postexercise carb orgy for optimal results.

To add to this... Why has the majority of longer-term research failed to show any meaningful differences in nutrient timing relative to the resistance training bout? It's likely because the body is smarter than we give it credit for. Most people don't know that as a result of a single training bout, the receptivity of muscle to protein dosing can persist for at least 24

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204

Here's what you're not seeming to grasp: the "windows" for taking advantage of nutrient timing are not little peepholes. They're more like bay windows of a mansion. You're ignoring just how long the anabolic effects are of a typical mixed meal. Depending on the size of a meal, it takes a good 1-2 hours for circulating substrate levels to peak, and it takes a good 3-6 hours (or more) for everythng to drop back down to baseline.

You're also ignoring the fact that the anabolic effects of a meal are maxed out at much lower levels than typical meals drive insulin & amino acids up to. Furthermore, you're also ignoring the body's ability of anabolic (& fat-oxidative) supercompensation when forced to work in the absence of fuels. So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.

More:

"ou do not need to neccessarily "spike" insulin for creatine to be maximally absorbed, but yes insulin is involved with the trasnsport.

FYI: The insulin and creatine studies I have seen up to this point have involved taking the glucose 30 minutes after the creatine. This may be because the insulin release from the dextrose doesn't entirely coincident with the pharmacokinetics of the creatine absorption.

Personally I think more consistent waves of insulin may be more anabolic than "spikes" anyway. This is because smoother waves of insulin more than likely affect ATP production more beneficially than "spikes" probably do. ATP is what rebuilds muscles and you want the most efficiency you can get here. I'm saying this because there is a delicate balance here between oxidative phosphorylation and lipogenesis (stimulated by acetyl COA carboxylase from HCO3-) in the mitochondrial in the presence of insulin. This "balance" I am talking about here is different for everyone though. Some people "shunt" over to lipgenesis so much sooner than other people. This has to do with other "global" processes happening in the body."

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_****319

The postexercise "anabolic window" is a highly misused & abused concept. Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you're an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day. Getting down to brass tacks, a relatively recent study (Power et al. 2009) showed that a 45g dose of whey protein isolate takes appx 50 minutes to cause blood AA levels to peak. Resulting insulin levels, which peaked at 40 minutes after ingestion, remained at elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown (15-30 mU/L) for 120 minutes after ingestion. This dose takes 3 hours for insulin & AA levels to return to baseline from the point of ingestion. The inclusion of carbs to this dose would cause AA & insulinlevels to peak higher & stay elevated above baseline even longer.

So much for the anabolic peephole & the urgency to down AAs during your weight training workout; they are already seeping into circulation (& will continue to do so after your training bout is done). Even in the event that a preworkout meal is skipped, the anabolic effect of the postworkout meal is increased as a supercompensatory response (Deldicque et al, 2010). Moving on, another recent study (Staples et al, 2010) found that a substantial dose of carbohydrate (50g maltodextrin) added to 25g whey protein was unable to further increase postexercise net muscle protein balance compared to the protein dose without carbs. Again, this is not to say that adding carbs at this point is counterproductive, but it certainly doesn't support the idea that you must get your lightning-fast postexercise carb orgy for optimal results.

To add to this... Why has the majority of longer-term research failed to show any meaningful differences in nutrient timing relative to the resistance training bout? It's likely because the body is smarter than we give it credit for. Most people don't know that as a result of a single training bout, the receptivity of muscle to protein dosing can persist for at least 24 hours: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204

Training Fed:
---> Eat 2 hours or 90 minutes prior. (P+C Based)
Dose meso 15-30 minutes prior
Post --> P+C Based
All other meals P+F based

Training Fasted:
BCAA's + Simple Carbs + Meso and get right to the gym and meal 1 after.

again all my 2 cents and personal perspective.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
But he's doing TKD? Quite insulin the rest of the time so what's the matter with a insulin spike before training to create a more anabolic enviroment and help with strength and output slightly? Nutrient void or not, a meal containing low GI/slow digesting carbs would mean a smaller but longer spike so it would take longer to get back into ketosis, so a pre workout meal 1.5hr before would hinder his goals surely? If the goal is to jump back into Keto quickly!

ECWHY

Awards
Look TKD you want to spike your insulin PWO..... not 1.5 hours before, 20-30 mins before dextrose is digested really quick, literally 15g of dextrose will have absolutely no effect on the mesomorph, I take meso about 20 mins after eating 100g of peanut butter, same effects! Why you so worried about spacing it? It won't have any less of a hit! Despite what people say about eating and stims, unless you're taking a beta agonist to burn fat, you won't even notice the difference
You're right. I probably won't use the Coconut oil as a staple. Might give it a go to experiment sometime but MCT oil would probably be the better move.

Appreciate the input :)

But he's doing TKD? Quite insulin the rest of the time so what's the matter with a insulin spike before training to create a more anabolic enviroment and help with strength and output slightly? Nutrient void or not, a meal containing low GI/slow digesting carbs would mean a smaller but longer spike so it would take longer to get back into ketosis, so a pre workout meal 1.5hr before would hinder his goals surely? If the goal is to jump back into Keto quickly!
Yeah, the fed workout wouldn't work for me in keto but will definitely utilize what The Solution says once I start maintaining/lean bulking and I am carb cycling with a more carb heavy diet.

Currently, I think I'll just do the simple carbs + meso + bcaa + possibly some creatine mono about 20-30 min pwo.

Not sure how many g of creatine meso has. Is it actually 5g?

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
I agree, I think the dextrose would be beneficial on a TKD as it is fast releasing. When I would use dextrose pwo, i'd be back in keto an hour or 2 after my workout.

Also, MCT oil is definitely different than Coconut oil. It is pure MCT, which is metabolized by the liver for energy. The boost is actually quite awesome and prolonging for gym exercise.

Also, since you're keto.. try adding 2g of sodium into your PWO or into your mesomorph. The fullness of muscles and energy is quite awesome from it.

ECWHY

Awards
I agree, I think the dextrose would be beneficial on a TKD as it is fast releasing. When I would use dextrose pwo, i'd be back in keto an hour or 2 after my workout.

Also, MCT oil is definitely different than Coconut oil. It is pure MCT, which is metabolized by the liver for energy. The boost is actually quite awesome and prolonging for gym exercise.

Also, since you're keto.. try adding 2g of sodium into your PWO or into your mesomorph. The fullness of muscles and energy is quite awesome from it.
Did you buy LiteSalt or something for that?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I have ran blood glucose meters using simple carbs and using complex carbs. I easily got back into keto in the same time period using both sources. Again. The need to insulin spike for most trainees is minimal unless you are 24+ hours fasted or training to be an endurance athlete. It really wont make a difference at all. Insulin spiking has been blown out of context since the early 2000's, and there are plenty of research to show you just how insignificant it truly is for most trainees.

But again to each their own. You do realize that eating a protein meal alone spikes insulin right? Him taking BCAA's spikes insulin... 15g of dextrose compared to 15g of carbs from 2 rice cakes would be negligable as far as an insulin response difference is.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Ok thanks, I didn't know that! But if you have quiet insulin all day why is a spike unnecessary? When I was doing TKD, the carbs pwo definitely improved my performance.... or are you talking about driving nutrients and Aminos specifically? Because Yeah I understand BCAA spike insulin to spark PS hence carbs aren't needed to gain muscle but from a performance perspective it definitely helped me at least I may try a different source of carbs next time though just to try it out!

ECWHY

Awards
I use Pink Himalayan or chicken boullion
I may try that. I get a lot of sodium in my diet since I'm limited to college dining hall food currently so I might not want to throw extra sodium in until I can control how much sodium I get personally.

I have ran blood glucose meters using simple carbs and using complex carbs. I easily got back into keto in the same time period using both sources. Again. The need to insulin spike for most trainees is minimal unless you are 24+ hours fasted or training to be an endurance athlete. It really wont make a difference at all. Insulin spiking has been blown out of context since the early 2000's, and there are plenty of research to show you just how insignificant it truly is for most trainees.

But again to each their own. You do realize that eating a protein meal alone spikes insulin right? Him taking BCAA's spikes insulin... 15g of dextrose compared to 15g of carbs from 2 rice cakes would be negligable as far as an insulin response difference is.
Good info. Definitely something to experiment with.

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
I may try that. I get a lot of sodium in my diet since I'm limited to college dining hall food currently so I might not want to throw extra sodium in until I can control how much sodium I get personally.

Good info. Definitely something to experiment with.
I do 5-7g of sodium a day on top of what I get in my food. And I do nu salt for some potassium, and magnesium pills, bout 400-600mg.

Works wonders

ECWHY

Awards
I do 5-7g of sodium a day on top of what I get in my food. And I do nu salt for some potassium, and magnesium pills, bout 400-600mg.

Works wonders
Damn, that seems like a lot but I know I probably pee a lot of it out. I take in like 2.5-3.5g a day usually so I guess supplementing wouldn't hurt

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Damn, that seems like a lot but I know I probably pee a lot of it out. I take in like 2.5-3.5g a day usually so I guess supplementing wouldn't hurt
I would suggest 12g of BHB Salts pre-workout. Would be something good to utilize for those who enjoy keto or lower carb approaches.
performance, endurance, and recovery wise it would benefit you greatly.
Got mine off NutraPlanet

https://nutraplanet.com/products/nutraplanet-ketoseries-bhb-calcium-beta-hydroxybutyrate-200-grams/

Increases blood, muscle and brain ketone levels
Normalizes blood glucose
Increases muscle protein synthesis
Decreases fatty acids in blood
Reduces physical and hormonal effects on low blood sugar
Decreased respiratory exchange ratio -VO2 Max
10g of BHB has shown to increase Nutritional Ketosis by 1.0 mmol

^^^^

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
10g of BHB has shown to increase Nutritional Ketosis by 1.0 mmol
Temporarily though, correct? My one beef with all the "Ketone Salt Products", is that they market them as somehow "getting you into Ketosis" AKA = No more Glycogen and you are burning fat - It's BS. They dump Ketones into your blood, which the body will temporarily switch to for energy, but they have zero to do with losing bodyfat.

But if you need extra energy while on a Ketogenic diet, I think they would be useful I guess.

ECWHY

Awards
Temporarily though, correct? My one beef with all the "Ketone Salt Products", is that they market them as somehow "getting you into Ketosis" AKA = No more Glycogen and you are burning fat - It's BS. They dump Ketones into your blood, which the body will temporarily switch to for energy, but they have zero to do with losing bodyfat.

But if you need extra energy while on a Ketogenic diet, I think they would be useful I guess.
I'll probably just stick with regular salt. I've spent too much money recently haha.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I'll probably just stick with regular salt. I've spent too much money recently haha.
From a general health perspective I'd just use Iodized Sea Salt (Morton, Hain) - Iodine is good for you. And it's pretty well established most people are Potassium deficient - take a couple grams of Potassium. It really helps if you are tracking all your food in an app, as it gives you total Sodium and Potassium numbers - I shoot for 2 more grams of Potassium than Sodium. Sam's Club has giant bottles of Potassium for like $4.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

The BHB salts have given me a good aid in performance and recovery for training on my runs on keto and a very low carb lifestyle . So yes I found them very beneficial. OP is looking at ways to help his training and nutritional approach so he can take the advice or leave it . I know mike will
Be opening a keto line since he just left scivation and will have research to back his products given time . Since he is putting a lot of money towards that kind of stuff and supplements related activities will soon reflect it

He gave me the suggestion on the 12g if BHB salts and get a combo of sodium, calcium and magnesium and I found it to play a vital aspect taken pre workout to training

OP's diet will do the weight loss which he is still uncertain about what he wants to do, this is just a suggestion on what he could add to aid and optimize his training

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
The BHB salts have given me a good aid in performance and recovery for training on my runs on keto...
Yes, I agree that they are an energy boost for Keto dieters - much like "Carb Gel" is an energy boost for Marathoners. I was pointing out that they don't "get you into Ketosis" like some promo material leads some to believe. The only way to "get into Ketosis" is to have very, very, very little Glycogen in your body, along with Protein below the limit where Gluconeogenesis throws you out of Ketosis (Under 70g in my case, measured via Blood BHB). You can't gorge on two Pizzas and a 2 Litre bottle of Cherry Coke and suddenly be in Ketosis (as far as producing Ketones from the oxidation of Fat, due to low Carbohydrate stores) by downing some Ketone Salts - Nomsayin'? That's all I was pointing out.

ECWHY

Awards
From a general health perspective I'd just use Iodized Sea Salt (Morton, Hain) - Iodine is good for you. And it's pretty well established most people are Potassium deficient - take a couple grams of Potassium. It really helps if you are tracking all your food in an app, as it gives you total Sodium and Potassium numbers - I shoot for 2 more grams of Potassium than Sodium. Sam's Club has giant bottles of Potassium for like $4.
Yeah, I take potassium/magnesium/calcium/all that good stuff. Does wonders!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 18
Supplements 7
u_e_s_i Supplements 5
Supplements 31
Supplements 0