HMB and BCAAs

SlavicStrong

Awards
Interested in cutting a bit of fat off my body, not sure how much yet, but I plan to try my and begin my cut within this month. Anyways, I'm thinking of buying bulk HMB-CA and BCAAs as my two primary supplements to preserve muscle while on a cut, thoughts? HMB-Ca seems to have mixed reviews, but I feel like its getting more love lately, and I've heard that BCAAs are just essential.

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
If you're able to consume enough protein throughout the day/week BCAAs and HMB won't do much other than maybe help with DOMS.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you're doing any type of fasted cardio then bcaas are definitely essential imo. If you're diet is spot on and you're hitting all your daily intake numbers bcaas aren't essential. HMB does have a lot of mixed reviews. It's one of those that you just need to pick it up and try it for yourself to see how it effects you.

SlavicStrong

Awards
I have a bottle of HMB right now, that I'm using to try and see if it allows me to workout 6 days a week easier. Read that it's good to use if you train frequently, and hit muscles twice a week, which is what I do.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you're doing any type of fasted cardio then bcaas are definitely essential imo. If you're diet is spot on and you're hitting all your daily intake numbers bcaas aren't essential. HMB does have a lot of mixed reviews. It's one of those that you just need to pick it up and try it for yourself to see how it effects you.
All this for sure. Also, don't just buy any BCAA product....make sure it is BCAA/EAA

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nothing is essential except a good diet and a training plan that won't run you into the ground while you are dieting.

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm cutting right now and using 2-3 grams of HMB-ca PWO instead of BCAAs intra. I'm also keeping my protein intake around 1g per lb.

My recovery and muscle size is maintaining pretty well.I believe dosing the HMB-ca like this and another gram before bed has been just as effective as the 15mg/ED of Osta I used during my Spring cut last year. I used to be a big believer in BCAAs, but I honestly believe that if you keep your protein intake up they aren't needed.

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm cutting right now and using 2-3 grams of HMB-ca PWO instead of BCAAs intra. I'm also keeping my protein intake around 1g per lb.

My recovery and muscle size is maintaining pretty well.I believe dosing the HMB-ca like this and another gram before bed has been just as effective as the 15mg/ED of Osta I used during my Spring cut last year. I used to be a big believer in BCAAs, but I honestly believe that if you keep your protein intake up they aren't needed.
Pre or post workout?

I am using it post and definitely recover better, doing also an upper lower split (4 days). It is rather cheap, so even if it is not doing anything, it is worth the risk in my opinion.

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Pre or post workout?

I am using it post and definitely recover better, doing also an upper lower split (4 days). It is rather cheap, so even if it is not doing anything, it is worth the risk in my opinion.
Totally worth the price. I take the 2–3g pre-workout because I'm otherwise fasted.

SlavicStrong

Awards
Any advantage to dosing HMB-Ca above the recommended 3g daily? Specifically while on a cut?

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Any advantage to dosing HMB-Ca above the recommended 3g daily? Specifically while on a cut?
38mg/kg BM is "the" recommended studied dose (leucine, hmb). I havent seen any evidence that going significantly higher will non-trivially improve outcomes (for physique purposes at least).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 26
Supplements 2
GreenMachineX Supplements 11
Supplements 42
Supplements 49