Supplement Companies to Avoid

GAINZFORDAYZ

Awards
I get frustrated with the supplement industry as a whole because there is no why to truly validate the ingredients in the product. Unfortunately there is a lot of trust that goes into buying supplements. For the most part I void propriety blends and buy from companies the have been in the industry for years. For example I personally would never buy a supplement from UPSlabs after the Jack3d situation.

I wanted to open up the conversation to determine what brands people trust and what brands should be avoided.

Thanks

shanedoolie1

shanedoolie1

Awards
What was the jack3d situation?? Just them having 1,3 in it at one point in time? and on the label...

GAINZFORDAYZ

Awards
Correct the DMAA and the fake labels created noting that it was a geranium plant extract.

shanedoolie1

shanedoolie1

Awards
The original label said 1,3 dimethyl/geranium stem.
Usp labs wasn't doing anything shady at all I don't think.

shanedoolie1

shanedoolie1

Awards
And this is why you can still buy 1,3 and products with it in there. If I was usp labs I would sue the **** out of the dea for making them destroy 9mil worth of something completely legal.

CITATION

Close

[8]*Heather L. Fleming, Patricia L. Ranaivo and Paul S. Simone (2012). "Analysis and Confirmation of 1,3-DMAA and 1,4-DMAA in Geranium Plants Using High Performance Liquid Chromatography with Tandem Mass Spectrometry at ng/g Concentrations".Analytical Chemistry Insights*(7): 59–78.doi:10.4137/ACI.S10445.

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
Usplabs has done a good job at cleaning up there products. I like there aminolift and modern pre. Also their supercissus joint product is good. Ultimate Nutrition has the best quality isolate protein (taste could be better). Chaos and Pain also has some great products as well that I use mostly of.

GAINZFORDAYZ

Awards
Not an expert on UBSlabs and do not currently use any of their products, but with their history it would be hard to regain my trust. I did try Jacked at one point didn't have a strong opinion on it either way. In any case my intent with this thread was not to focus on UBSlabs but get others insights into supplement companies they have had negative experiences with that they would recommend people to avoid. I appreciated everyone's thoughts on this matter and interested in hearing about others experiences.

shanedoolie1

shanedoolie1

Awards
Well, I guess it's safe to say stay away from Blackstone labs. Lol. I never trusted them from the getgo but even more so now.

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
The owner of Hi Tech has a sketchy past, but most people don't seem to care about that much any more since he is fighting the FDA over DMAA and reps are quick to reassure users that there is nothing to worry about.

Anomaly101

Awards
I'm not a fan of Hi-Tech pharma's products/product names/proprietary blends.... however, they did acquire: Advanced Pharmaceuticals and Nutritionals, FormuTech Nutrition, Innovative Laboratories, Sports One, LG Sciences and iForce Nutrition

macwad

Awards
  • Established
I'll never buy anything from BPI, MusclePharm and BSN.

The ones I thrust: Olympus Labs, SNS, ON, PES, Controlled Labs

JPARKS42

Awards
  • Established

Can you elaborate on why you don't trust or use products from those companies? I'm interested to hear your (and others) perspectives on why they don't like/support some companies. Also, I'm willing to bet there are some newer/younger forum members that aren't quite as aware of the protein spiking incidents and false label claims that have occurred in the past.

Clipper83

Clipper83

Awards
  • Established
I'd trust the big companies like BPI and Cellucor for meeting label claims before I'd trust many of the companies you just listed.

macwad

Awards
  • Established
Can you elaborate on why you don't trust or use products from those companies? I'm interested to hear your (and others) perspectives on why they don't like/support some companies. Also, I'm willing to bet there are some newer/younger forum members that aren't quite as aware of the protein spiking incidents and false label claims that have occurred in the past.
BPI and BSN: extremely underdosed products and massive proprietary blends.
MusclePharm: scandal of not meeting label claims

macwad

Awards
  • Established
I'd trust the big companies like BPI and Cellucor for meeting label claims before I'd trust many of the companies you just listed.
That's the problem. If BPI meets label claims you have an underdosed product.

Cellucor is another story, I can trust it

Clipper83

Clipper83

Awards
  • Established
That's the problem. If BPI meets label claims you have an underdosed product.

Cellucor is another story, I can trust it
Yeah don't get me wrong, I hate BPI products. I just trust them enough to the point that I don't think they are spiking products, regardless if their products suck.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Thanks for the support

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
any1 trust MTS, Core, HPN?
yes. at least mts.. I have used and feel Lobliner is honest about his supps. Can't speak for Core or Hpn.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I also fully trust Evomuse, SNS, Olympus Labs, and Controlled Labs. I have used products from all three companies and was completely satisfied. I also logged for Gaspari (Plasmajet) and feel that it delivered what it said it would. Scivation also allotted me a tub of Xtend perform and Flexatril to log, and I was very pleased with the combo. The solution seems to be a stand up rep and conveys the company in a trustworthy manner.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I cant say i dont trust any co .. i just have co that i wont buy stuff from unless its super cheap (in pennies .. lol)

Instead i have my co that i trust and covers all the needs ...

Controlled labs, SNS, scivation, pes, cel, evomuse.
purus labs, ultimate nutrition, grenade for protein needs

GAINZFORDAYZ

Awards
Been hearing great things about OL which I haven't tried yet. Looking forward to trying some of their products.

I avoid products from MuscleTech, BNS, UPSlabs, and I'm skeptical of newer companies unless they have solid reviews and been recommended. For basic supplements I trend to stick to companies that have been in the industry for a while such as ON, Universal Nutrition, and Met-rx. I also enjoy products from GAT.

Chefdeez

Chefdeez

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

There's a few on your "trust" list that I wouldn't go near again honestly.

Chefdeez

Chefdeez

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Care to elaborate?
I trust SNS a ton. Great company I used to rep way back in the day. Everything they make is top quality. CL is good too. Not going to say anything about the other brands listed but I have my reasons.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I personally avoid any company that has their products manufactured by Duracap...

Mrbolt84

Mrbolt84

Awards
  • Established
Prime nutrition anybody ?? The whole intra md drama was intense

Clipper83

Clipper83

Awards
  • Established
Been hearing great things about OL which I haven't tried yet. Looking forward to trying some of their products.

I avoid products from MuscleTech, BNS, UPSlabs, and I'm skeptical of newer companies unless they have solid reviews and been recommended. For basic supplements I trend to stick to companies that have been in the industry for a while such as ON, Universal Nutrition, and Met-rx. I also enjoy products from GAT.
What's the point of trusting ON but not BNS?

shockrock3

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your "big" companies tend to make shtty pixie dusted formulas i.e. ON, BSN, any company sold in Target, Walmart, etc. etc. I mean honestly...outside of protein, da faq supplements from ON, BSN, etc. do people use? They suk.

GAINZFORDAYZ

Awards
So just to clarify I only use ON and the the others noted for very basic products such as fish oils, multi, aminos. The rationale (which may or may not be flawed thus this thread) is that companies that have been around for a while typically have a good track record and effective products or they would not be still in business.

Guess it is not a trust issue with BNS, I just have not had great experiences with their products.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
companies you trust vs company who make subpar products are different animals all together

GAINZFORDAYZ

Awards
This is true... But if a product is not effective it makes me question the legitimacy of the quality and quantity of the ingredients on the label which kinda ties into trust.

Good point though, and I would have to agree.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
companies you trust vs company who make subpar products are different animals all together
This.

Rules out 95% of products on shelves for me.

Also some food for thought;
People "trusting" some of these companies don't have the slightest idea what is going on with raw material sourcing, quality testing, and production methods. Zero idea. But good reps give a good company image and it gets looked past.

No I will not elaborate, far too many conflicts of interest. Just be as educated and informed as you can be

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
This.

Rules out 95% of products on shelves for me.

Also some food for thought;
People "trusting" some of these companies don't have the slightest idea what is going on with raw material sourcing, quality testing, and production methods. Zero idea. But good reps give a good company image and it gets looked past.

No I will not elaborate, far too many conflicts of interest. Just be as educated and informed as you can be
This^

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
I think with the Duracap/Prime fiasco it's important to make sure that we know where places are getting their stuff made. I do trust Hi-Tech because I have toured their lab and facilities.

I don't think it is out of line to ask a company where they get their stuff produced. Especially when it comes to things like amino acids and proteins.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
^doubt any company would reveal that unless they were legally obligated to. Screws them for their own hard work finding a reliable raw producer.

A great company I know spent a lot of time and effort tracking down raw sources. Quality testing done for each batch. It can take a long while, and along the way you go through a LOT of sources lying about their product purity, or even the wrong extract from a plant.

I imagine tons have found those same sources, and not paid for proper testing to confirm. (Or not cared at all, as those sources tended to also be cheapest)

Production could be said if a company so chose to; I'm sure sticking a "Made in USA" tag on anything is getting some marketing edge.

Run579

Run579

Awards
I think it is hard to tell since as a consumer you really don't know the other side of the companies. I generally won't touch a company if they deal in grey area ingredients or even illegal ones (PHs etc.) Personally, I like PES, Scivation, Kaged Muscle and Nutrabio.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Personally, I try not to hate on other companies. I just choose to not do business with many of them. There are only a select few companies that I hand my money to.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So far only ones I use regularly:

Evomuse
Performax
SNS
Controlled labs
Nutrex

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I pretty much exclusively buy from OL now lol

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I cant say i dont trust any co .. i just have co that i wont buy stuff from unless its super cheap (in pennies .. lol)

Instead i have my co that i trust and covers all the needs ...

Controlled labs, SNS, scivation, pes, cel, evomuse.
purus labs, ultimate nutrition, grenade for protein needs
I ? you buddy. :)
How the name change? Maybe I don't scope out the latest features on this site but didn't realize you could do that.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It says in that article that the batch was counterfeit
Don't force people to fully research something they click bait and share buddy! Come one now! ?