Question on Beta Alanine and Taurine

cstallion

Awards
  • Established
Hey everybody,

I'm about to start my first run EVER with creatine and beta alanine. I've never taken either, so I'm pretty stoked to get this going.

My question is should I really take Taurine with Beta Alanine? Is this necessary or is that just hype? And if so, how should I dose? My plan is to take Beta Alanine 2g pre and 2g postworkout.

Thanks!

LittleBubba

Awards
When your face starts itching and tingling and feeling like something is crawling across it... don't worry. Paresthesia is a very common beta alanine side effect. After a while most people get accustomed to it. It freaks some people out. Not sure about taurine. I think it is in my PWO and intraworkout. So I don't think much about it. Good luck

smugface

Awards
It's not necessary but it is a good combo along with the creatine. 2g of taurine pre workout is considered the ideal dose by many. Beta Alanine 2g pre and post is good.
As far as the tingling feeling, you may never get it. I take 6g a day split into 3 doses and have never experienced it.

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
Doesnt supplementation with BA cause taurine depletion or its an old folk bro story?

Also they should be dosed apart as they are using the same pathway, I believe.

Last edited:

smugface

Awards
Since beta-alanine and taurine compete for uptake and the concentration of one affects the other, consuming one of them consistently while dosing the other just makes sense.

cstallion

Awards
  • Established
Since beta-alanine and taurine compete for uptake and the concentration of one affects the other, consuming one of them consistently while dosing the other just makes sense.
Can you elaborate please? So maybe tar taurine pre and beta at post workout or another time of the day?

The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You won't notice anything other than some tingling. This will have pretty much no effect on strength or body composition.

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BA is shown to be effective for endurance, not so much for bodybuilding as it is for runners and triathletes. Also, it is not necessary to take BA pre-workout since it has no immediate benefits. I use it during tri training and discontinue during strength training, best if cycled.

smugface

Awards
Can you elaborate please? So maybe tar taurine pre and beta at post workout or another time of the day?
Taurine definitely pre workout. The benefits from beta-alanine are based upon raising muscle carnosine concentrations over time. Taking BA consistently is more important than when you take it.
After about 4 weeks carnosine levels increase 40-65% At 10-12 weeks levels increase up to 80%

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Taurine is just a great supplement to use period. I rarely go without it, typically dose upwards of 6g pre workout.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
My question is should I really take Taurine with Beta Alanine? Is this necessary or is that just hype? And if so, how should I dose? My plan is to take Beta Alanine 2g pre and 2g postworkout.

Thanks!
If you've never used Beta Alanine, start with a small dose. I personally don't like it, and I don't feel that it has much benefit for me. My face gets red and my skin gets hot when using Beta Alanine, and it throws of my training. Experiment and see how you like it, but it definitely isn't a necessary ingredient to take with creatine.

On the other hand, I do think that taurine has a variety of benefits when taken preworkout. Taurine is depleted during exercise, so supplementing with it can be beneficial. It can also deliver a nice pump by bringing water to the muscle cell.

If this is your first time using creatine, I think the most important ingredient to take along with it would be betaine, not beta alanine. Betaine works synergistically with creatine to help with strength and power, as well as reduce muscle soreness. If you're planning on using creatine, betaine, and taurine, I would suggesting taking a look at Powermax XT. Powermax XT contains all three of these ingredients at studied doses, as well as several other daily ergogenic ingredients to support strength, performance, endurance, and recovery.