• First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Love the taste of Xtend but that is BCAA

Looking for a great tasting EAA

Thanks.
Use xtend and add bulk EAA's = Problem solved, and your cheapest option.
If you want pure EAA = Purple Wraath

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thank you :)

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Since you love Xtend so much.. Have you tried the new Xtend Perform?
I would love to see your feedback. If you have not let me know.
Shoot me a PM labeled Xtend Perform and send me your full mailing address & Email address (if you are in the US) ill ship you a tub on the house to see your honest and detailed feedback regarding your training.

Hows that sound?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like the solution is hooking you up whacked!:)

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
... :D

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Since you love Xtend so much.. Have you tried the new Xtend Perform?
I would love to see your feedback. If you have not let me know.
Shoot me a PM labeled Xtend Perform and send me your full mailing address & Email address (if you are in the US) ill ship you a tub on the house to see your honest and detailed feedback regarding your training.

Hows that sound?
Yes I have. I use the black cherry flavor daily ;)
Thank you

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Best tasting EAAs I have had are from Prime. Good complex and taste great, plus they don;t have extra coloring in them.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cheft - Thanks. Prime sure is much more affordable than Purple Wraath

TheSolution - how can there be 1,170 MG in total "electrolyte blend" (made of Na & K at bottom of label but the Na = 220mg and K = 170mg. That is only 390mg.

LOST! Thx

Rob1882

Awards
  • Established
Prime's EAA's are very good

Blackstone Lab's Resurgence Pina Colada I use a lot of been through tons of it I do not at all like the fruit punch flavor just the pina colada

http://mindandmuscle.net/articles/product/iforce-nutrition-compete-2/
iForce Compete might also be worth considering with both

Controlled Lab's Purple Wraath is very good they reflavored it and the newer flavoring is solid

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks TS

Still confused.

1) "Regular" sodium IS potassium chloride.

2) What specific type of potassium is "regular"?

3) Are you saying that the GRAND TOTAL sodium + potassium is 1170 + 230 + 190?

Bizarre labeling by Scivation AND why the heck would they load a product up w so much dang sodium and potassium of any type is odd.

Thanks

1Fast400

Awards
  • Established
Some companies do honest labeling. Example, if you say you have 5g of BCAA peptide, you actually don't have 5g of bcaa's. You have around 2-2.5g because of the peptide. The yield for sodium/potassium is fractional, hence the higher number yielding 230/190. It's almost impossible to find negative data on electrolytes when provided in the right mixture, regardless of dose.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very informative. Thank you for that.

To be honest - I always assume the labels are exaggerated. Lol. Seriously.

That said, I'm still confused (concerned) about the Na+ and K+ totals due to my BP issues.

Hack75

Hack75

Awards
I recently had a tub of the original Xtend Lemon Lime flavor. It wasn't the best TBH

Does the Performance line taste any better? The profile looks good

For the record, I usually don't care about taste in supplements. Performance is what matters- it just seems like most companies have figured out BCAAs, Aminos, EASs now a days

Bossmoss94

Bossmoss94

Awards
I agree with TheSolution. Xtend + bulk EAA's. MyProtein has them cheap idk of any others.

1Fast400

Awards
  • Established
Very informative. Thank you for that.

To be honest - I always assume the labels are exaggerated. Lol. Seriously.

That said, I'm still confused (concerned) about the Na+ and K+ totals due to my BP issues.
I've been unable to find data showing issues as long as there is balance. Often times NA intake is through the roof with no potassium offset. I'll have to go through my notes which are buried somewhere. Coming off a holiday weekend, may take a few days.

1Fast400

Awards
  • Established
I recently had a tub of the original Xtend Lemon Lime flavor. It wasn't the best TBH

For the record, I usually don't care about taste in supplements. Performance is what matters- it just seems like most companies have figured out BCAAs, Aminos, EASs now a days
Taste is insanely objective, one of the hardest parts of flavoring a product. We have a dozen flavors in flag ship. Mango/BlueRaz are typically hit the spot for most people. I like the black cherry in perform, but default to mango quite a bit. We'll have peak02 bulk out in primaforce in 10 days, so I'll likely go back to flagship and add peak02 in as it's my favorite supplement now.

GQNemesis

GQNemesis

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yeah i like xtend + bulk eaa

but if your looking for falvored eaa .. i recommend purple wrath from controlled labs, you also get small dose of BA & Cit malate as well .. im actually running that with green mag right now.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been unable to find data showing issues as long as there is balance. Often times NA intake is through the roof with no potassium offset. I'll have to go through my notes which are buried somewhere. Coming off a holiday weekend, may take a few days.
Excellent. Thank you for any additional insight you can provide. ;)

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

Definitely give Mango or Black Cherry a go. Those are some killer flavors we offer. I personally am not the biggest Lemon Lime fan, i would check out Fruit Punch in the regular xtend which is a huge seller.
Green Apple is my sleeper flavor which is incredible.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Definitely give Mango or Black Cherry a go. Those are some killer flavors we offer. I personally am not the biggest Lemon Lime fan, i would check out Fruit Punch in the regular xtend which is a huge seller.
Green Apple is my sleeper flavor which is incredible.
I really love the Mango XTend. Good stuff!

compan

compan

Awards
iFN Compete is a very good option. Comes in the classic iFN flavors like lemon drop, rainbow sherbet and we recently added grape to the mix. BCAAs + EAAs, L-Carnitine L-Tartrate + L-Carnitine Fumarate, Electrolytes and a little added Rhodiola Rosea + CDP-Choline. Pretty affordable as well.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Personally I like EAA products that contain all 9 EAAs, which most do not.
NutraBio IntraBlast Orange Mango is awesome. I often mix up a 1/2 serving just to have something tasty to drink.

macwad

Awards
  • Established
NutraBio IntraBlast Orange Mango is awesome. I often mix up a 1/2 serving just to have something tasty to drink.
Exactly. That's why my EAA supp is Olympus Labs Endur3

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Use xtend and add bulk EAA's = Problem solved, and your cheapest option.
If you want pure EAA = Purple Wraath
How much EAA can be added to xtend without altering the taste?
And what would a good ration of BCAA to EAA be in a BCAA/EAA product?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Depends how much water you dilute Xtend with so that will vary from person to person and their taste buds . I can use 20-24oz a scoop and enjoy the flavor even if I add bulks.

If your usinf Xtend which has 7g bcaa you won’t need to add much more EAA. I would say 3-7g to get around 10-14g Total bcaa/EAA

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you know how much of each EAA you need or just want it listed on the label?

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Depends on some of the EAAs, it is dose dependent.....

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Do you know how much of each EAA you need or just want it listed on the label?
I more than likely do not "need" any EAA supplement.

I know the point you are trying to make with the comment though as you have stated it before.

DirtyScrubs

DirtyScrubs

Awards
Get a good rounded scoop of eaa’s, add enough extend to get the total BCAAs to 5/7g’s, dilute to your liking, that’s what i do plus glutamine and electrolytes.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Get a good rounded scoop of eaa’s, add enough extend to get the total BCAAs to 5/7g’s, dilute to your liking, that’s what i do plus glutamine and electrolytes.
Xtend has 7g of BCAA's a scoop + electrolytes and glutamine
Amazing nobody can ever spell it right..

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I more than likely do not "need" any EAA supplement.

I know the point you are trying to make with the comment though as you have stated it before.
If you using EAAs, the only reason to use EAAs is to replace protein in your diet. Remember properly dosed EAAs are no comparison to a equivalent amount of Protein. The protein synthesis is short lived as compared to whey protein. about 1 hour vs. 3 hours

The current EAA marketing is incredibly deceptive.....

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you using EAAs, the only reason to use EAAs is to replace protein in your diet. Remember properly dosed EAAs are no comparison to a equivalent amount of Protein. The protein synthesis is short lived as compared to whey protein. about 1 hour vs. 3 hours

The current EAA marketing is incredibly deceptive.....
I'm not sure to understand your point. Are you saying that if we don't want to replace protein with EAA there is no reason to take EAA and only BCAA is enough? Even intra-workout?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I'm not sure to understand your point. Are you saying that if we don't want to replace protein with EAA there is no reason to take EAA and only BCAA is enough? Even intra-workout?
If you are meeting protein intake in the 24 hour period you don't need BCAA or EAA Period.
People think you do, and have to use them intra-workout, but if your meeting protein intake they aren't doing anything. they are free forms of protein. So you are just putting more protein and more calories into your diet (around 6kcal per 1g BCAA)

People are just brainwashed by general dogma and broscience that you have to take them.

IF You are falling short of protein intake your better off adding another scoop of whey to help reach protein intake or spread out protein evenly in your meals to reach intake.

In a VERY rare case someone has a meal that doesn't meet leucine intake, therefore using a BCAA/EAA With that meal would help reach 3g of leucine to trigger MPS to its furthest degree. Think a meal of all trace sources of protein (Pizza, bread, cheese) etc

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can use 20-24oz a scoop and enjoy the flavor even if I add bulks.
It seems you are taking BCAA/EAA yourself. Is it because you are not taking enough protein? working out fasted? or other reasons?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
It seems you are taking BCAA/EAA yourself. Is it because you are not taking enough protein? working out fasted? or other reasons?

IF (Key word) I trained fasted or did not meet protein intake then I would use them as a bolus between meals spaced 4-6 hours apart to aid MPS
https://www.slideshare.net/biolayne/optimal-protein-intake-and-meal-frequency-to-support-maximal-protein-synthesis-and-muscle-mass

I eat all my protein day to day with ease. Remember these are "Supplements" meant to support our diet and training program which come first.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you have the Scivation study on BCAA on hand? I remember they did a study with positive outcome on trained subjects with adequate amount of protein. It would be interesting to see that again as it goes against other studies.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If you had a meal an hour before its still digesting and will be going into the post-workout period. You won't need a BCAA product if you are meeting protein intake in the 24 hour period.

1. Research commonly cited that demonstrates muscle-related benefits of BCAA supplementation was done with subjects that didn’t eat enough protein.

For example, this study is one of the poster boys for selling BCAAs. It examined the effects of BCAA supplementation on a group of wrestlers in a calorie deficit. After three weeks, the supplement group, who ingested an additional 52 grams of BCAAs per day preserved more muscle and lost a bit more fat than the control group (who didn’t supplement at all).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9059905

Sounds pretty cool, right? Well, what you won’t hear is that subjects, whose average weight was about 150 pounds, were eating a paltry ~80 grams of protein per day. If we look at research on the protein needs of athletes in a calorie restriction, we learn that they should have been eating double that amount of protein to preserve lean mass.

Other studies that demonstrate various muscle-related benefits of BCAA supplementation have promising abstracts, but are almost always hampered by lack of dietary control and/or low protein intake, and in almost all cases, subjects are training fasted, which is a very important point we’ll talk more about in a minute
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16424141

What such research tells us is that acutely raising BCAA levels (and leucine in particular) before and after exercise helps us build more muscle. There is no evidence that doing it through the ingestion of a BCAA supplement is more effective than food, however.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20565767

While BCAAs are good for preserving muscle, they have two significant drawbacks:

1. You’re paying for three amino acids but leucine is the only one of the trio that effectively suppresses muscle protein breakdown.

You could save money and achieve the same results by buying pure leucine instead (but be warned–leucine tastes really, really bad).

2. Most BCAA supplements are comprised of 2 to 3 parts leucine and 1 part isoleucine and valine, which means you need to take quite a bit (about 10 grams) every time

You need 3 to 5 grams of leucine to effectively counteract the muscle loss that results from fasted exercise, which means you burn through bottles of BCAAs fairly quickly if you’re training fasted 5 to 7 days per week.

From Alan Aragon:

Hey everyone, a frequently recurring topic is BCAA supplementation. A lot of folks are simply unaware of the actual data, so they needlessly waste their hard-earned cash on BCAA supps. This might not be music to the ears of folks locked in a routine of taking their favorite supp, but my hope is that it gives some of you food for thought, and ultimately helps you zap an unnecessary (and potentially detrimental) item from your supplement shopping list.

The high-quality proteins in our diets are comprised of appx 18-26% BCAA as it is. Supplementing with extra BCAA on top of that can range from adding extra unnecessary calories (and metabolic burden), to actually inhibiting optimal use of ingested amino acids [1].

Let me also add that whey protein has a stronger anabolic/anticatabolic effect than its equivalent in supplemental EAA or BCAA [2]. It's no surprise that supplemental BCAA has an equivocal track record in the research [3,4]. For those concerned about "going catabolic" doing fasted cardio without AA supplementation, my colleagues and I found no difference in body comp effects between fed vs fasted cardio when total protein is sufficient (both groups retained their LBM) [5]. As for the ability of BCAA to inhibit muscle soreness, note that this is always compared to a non-protein placebo.

It's LOL to supp with BCAA to begin with (instead of an intact, high-quality protein such as whey, which provides the rest of the EAAs as well as other co-factors for anabolism -- but it's all moot if you're getting enough total daily protein anyway). Here’s a salient quote from a recent review [6]:

"Thus, as we speculated, consumption of crystalline BCAA resulted in competitive antagonism for uptake from the gut and into the muscle and was actually not as effective as leucine alone in stimulating MPS. Despite the popularity of BCAA supplements we find shockingly little evidence for their efficacy in promoting MPS or lean mass gains and would advise the use of intact proteins as opposed to a purified combination of BCAA that appear to antagonize each other in terms of transport both into circulation and likely in to the muscle.”

The only people who are not wasting time & money on supplemental BCAA are those who must maintain a low-protein diet, or a diet with restricted amounts of high-quality protein. With that all said, if your total daily protein is optimized, and you don't mind consuming the functional equivalent of really expensive flavored water [7,8,9], then be my guest. :)

References:

1) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27175106
2) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22451437
3) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20110810
4) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15930475
5) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25429252/
6) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26388782/
7) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28444456
8) http://www.mdpi.com/2075-4663/5/2/36

The study has no validity at all
Doesn’t state what kind of diets they ran (standardized wtf does that mean?)
Doesn’t state how much experience the trainees had

You will need actual evidence of bcaa and eaa being effective because I can give you a dozen studies that say otherwise

Rich Bert

Awards
Look into Jeff Longs Like a Pro Sup line

His EAAs are unbelievable. Definitely an elite line