Protein Powder

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
What is a good protein powder that's decently priced but still has a decent amount of protein and calories per serving? Also has a good amount of servings? Most of what I've seen lately is advertised as say, 35g of Protein Per Serving, but when you look on the nutrition facts its 35g per 3 scoops and like 12-14 (some as low as 7) servings in the whole tub. This is what I've been drinking lately:

Dymatize Nutrition Elite MASS (54g Protein, 600 Calories per 3 scoops - 18 Servings) - 6lb's - $52
EAS 100% Whey (30g Protein, 170 Calories per 2 scoops - 21 servings) - 2lb's - $18
Muscle Milk (32g Protein, 310 Calories per 2 scoops - 12.5 servings) - 2lb's - $20
Body Fortress Super Advanced Mass Gainer (20g Protein, 520 Calories per 3 scoops - 14 servings) - 4lb's - $18

I drink 2-3 shakes a day atleast so I go through a tub quickly. Are there any good brands that make a big tub that's priced well? The only one that has a good price/serving ratio that I've bought lately was the EAS 100% Whey.

Thanks guys

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
I've considered that one actually. I think I saw in the Protein shake % thread that Gold Standard wasn't very good in terms of actual protein content. I could be thinking of a different brand though. How's the taste of this one?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Depends on how much faith you put into how much it really matters. If you get it cheap enough, even stepped on Protein can provide what you need, as I personally think the 99% need way less than is usually recommended. There are some locked on members here who are perfectly fine getting the cheap, huge bags at Sam's or Costco.

But as a matter of principle, I also personally hate paying for a ton of Glycine, LOL. The best quality (or one of) and best prices are from protein wholesalers who deal directly with dairys. Board rules prevent us (usually) from naming these company's unfortunately, but some Google Keywords should get you some answers fairly quick. For example, I get WPC80 and Milk Protein, with "Double Shot" or "Heavy" flavoring - mix them myself for a 50/50 ratio, and pay almost right at $10/Lb. That's the smaller 70cc Scoop BTW, with ~26g P per scoop. 4 total ingredients on the label.

jerard

jerard

Awards
I would buy a protein powder that list all its ingredients, and each of its individual DOSAGES ( mg/grams)

And fine a protein powder which is 80% or more Protein.

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have you tried any other flavors besides chocolate? Thats what Ive tried and its not half bad
Raspberry sucked. Using Rocky Road right now, it's ok. The double-choc was really good though.

JP10

JP10

Awards
Have you tried any other flavors besides chocolate? Thats what Ive tried and its not half bad
The chocolate mint is so good, and I expected it to be sh!tty. The Peanut Cookie is decent, had really high expectations for it haha.

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
mod edit: rules

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
there is a whole thread dedicated to reviews of the flavors if you're trying to find out what's good... so many options

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What is a good protein powder that's decently priced but still has a decent amount of protein and calories per serving? Also has a good amount of servings? Most of what I've seen lately is advertised as say, 35g of Protein Per Serving, but when you look on the nutrition facts its 35g per 3 scoops and like 12-14 (some as low as 7) servings in the whole tub. This is what I've been drinking lately:

Dymatize Nutrition Elite MASS (54g Protein, 600 Calories per 3 scoops - 18 Servings) - 6lb's - $52
EAS 100% Whey (30g Protein, 170 Calories per 2 scoops - 21 servings) - 2lb's - $18
Muscle Milk (32g Protein, 310 Calories per 2 scoops - 12.5 servings) - 2lb's - $20
Body Fortress Super Advanced Mass Gainer (20g Protein, 520 Calories per 3 scoops - 14 servings) - 4lb's - $18

I drink 2-3 shakes a day atleast so I go through a tub quickly. Are there any good brands that make a big tub that's priced well? The only one that has a good price/serving ratio that I've bought lately was the EAS 100% Whey.

Thanks guys
Generally speaking, when looking at price per serving it is good to look at;

- what percentage is actually protein? e.g. some protein powders don't cost a lot but due to additional fillers or lower purity protein sources they may only contain 60% protein vs a product that is 80% protein. This is especially true with weight gainer products because carb sources used are often very cheap in comparison to good quality whey protein so it may be worth looking at exactly how much protein you get.
- does the product have any additional amino acids listed on the label? For example something may have 25g protein per serving but there may only be 20g worth from whey and the rest is made up of additional free form amino acids which are cheap.
- is the product third party tested? There have been many protein powders which when analysed fell well short on label claims. For example, a recent analysis which made it's way around the internet had one protein powder allegedly containing over 40% less protein than it said it did on the label.

Sometimes products can look really good in terms of value but then when you look at the label (or find out later on when the product is tested) that perceived value for money was actually not what you thought it was.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Depends on how much faith you put into how much it really matters. If you get it cheap enough, even stepped on Protein can provide what you need, as I personally think the 99% need way less than is usually recommended. There are some locked on members here who are perfectly fine getting the cheap, huge bags at Sam's or Costco.

But as a matter of principle, I also personally hate paying for a ton of Glycine, LOL. The best quality (or one of) and best prices are from protein wholesalers who deal directly with dairys. Board rules prevent us (usually) from naming these company's unfortunately, but some Google Keywords should get you some answers fairly quick. For example, I get WPC80 and Milk Protein, with "Double Shot" or "Heavy" flavoring - mix them myself for a 50/50 ratio, and pay almost right at $10/Lb. That's the smaller 70cc Scoop BTW, with ~26g P per scoop. 4 total ingredients on the label.
I never knew where to get unflavored protein but I'll look into it. That sounds really good though.

Think I'm going to try the salted caramel next!! Not all flavors come in the 11lb bag for some reason.
11lb bag sounds about right. I need one of those haha.

I also buy bulk protein (unflavored wpc80) from certain places, but right now I'd recommend checking out the sale on USPlabs Modern Protein. You get ~6lbs for $60, plus some extra goodies and only $5 shipping. The isolate blend is great, and the flavoring is substantially better than "bulk" options.

Yeah I checked out that deal. That's most likely what I'll end grabbing today. But I'm hoping to find something that's worth it for afterwards.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Seeing as how i actually like good-tasting protein powder i buy from these brands: PES, Xtreme Formulations, BPI, BlueStar, Metabolic Nutrition. PES Select is one of the best values around, as is BPI. Both have top notch flavor as well.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Seeing as how i actually like good-tasting protein powder i buy from these brands: PES, Xtreme Formulations, BPI, BlueStar, Metabolic Nutrition. PES Select is one of the best values around, as is BPI. Both have top notch flavor as well.
Yeah I care about taste as well. But at this point, I usually end up chugging the shake.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
OP, I doubt you will find your best value in a gainer, carbs and fats are so cheap and available it seems odd to pay for them to be half of your protein source.

I much prefer a well-valued lean protein source and adding my own fresh ingredients.

Convenience is the only bonus a gainer has and I've never seen it as enough of a difference to justify the wasted $, poorer taste, and usually poorer sources of fats/carbs

Food for thought

I can turn my Select into a tasty high calorie meal in 20 seconds with a blender, and I will know I've paid fair value for a quality protein source.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I care about taste as well. But at this point, I usually end up chugging the shake.
For sure, we've all been there. But there are quality proteins out there which have great profiles, great taste, and good value.

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
Fitness Pro Super Whey is very inexpensive and doesn't taste half bad, especially if you are just drinking it because it's a pretty light flavor. I never inquired about the quality but I know there's a few people who've used it and never really had a problem with it.

Nccope

Nccope

Awards
I like the muscle pharm combat powder, its like 38 or 39 dollars on amazon for 4 lbs, 25g protein per scoop, scoop size is 34 grams so not too bad.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like the muscle pharm combat powder, its like 38 or 39 dollars on amazon for 4 lbs, 25g protein per scoop, scoop size is 34 grams so not too bad.
Muscle Pharm would be one of the last companies i'd buy from. You're not getting the amount of protein they claim.

Nccope

Nccope

Awards
I didnt know that, is it just realated to a quality issue or something? I do notice the powder is slightly different with each tub. I have never seen that before with a o.n. product, but cash is king and the combat powder is what seems like the best value to me atm but it seems i may have been duped

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Amino spiking is what he is referring to.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
I ended up grabbing some from the USP deal. 3 tubs + creatine and samples sounds pretty good to me.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Solid choice

Caramel Cookie Stix?
Grabbed some Caramel Cookie Stix and Milk Chocolatex2. I didn't realize it was made after Twix until after I bought it or I would've gotten more.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
EpiStrong Supplements 30
LJ57 Supplements 23
LJ57 Supplements 1
akboom87 Supplements 34
Supplements 7