Intra Workout

Plex78

Plex78

Awards
How does everyone feel with using an intraworkout drink. I've used various amino BCAA carb based products in the past and have recently began taking USP Modern BCAA and on some days Gaspari Sizeon. I feel more energized when I drink em than days I drink plain water. I just wanted to get an overall opinion and if you take em what do you like?

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm a fan. Never used carbs much intra, but I've used a lot of bcaa/eaa formulas. I can definitely tell a difference in my recovery and I just like having flavors in my water. So I figure why not make those flavors count?!

I currently alternate between RPG and HumaPro. Depends on what kind of workout I'm doing that day. I've gone through tubs of Modern BCAA, too. Can't go wrong with it!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Some people enjoy intra workout carbs and help them with their training whether it be due to training fasted, training long after a meal, endurance training or just for an extra boost in performance. If one's pre workout meal is within an hour and a half or so and it is just regular lifting, I think plain water intra workout would suffice. Additionally, some people will supplement with BCAA pre workout if training fasted. If I train fasted, which is a lot lately, my go to has been mixing Animal Juiced Aminos Orange flavor with Orange PowerMax XT. Or on my high carb days, I'll go with some orange Gatorade Powder and mix it with Orange PowerMax XT intra. PowerMax XT can be utilized pre or intra workout and gives me my full dose of creatine, TMG, glycerol and a host of other solid ingredients to help boost overall performance.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Intra-MD. EAAs+Carbs+Orange flavor is a win/win/win for me. I train with higher frequency versus volume, so it helps a lot, especially because I workout "fasted".

danielmoo

danielmoo

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to have to agree with your notion. When training with an intra workout, there are absolutely no hunger pangs and I feel as if I could workout for another 30 minutes or so. Sizeon (thanks for the support) is an awesome intra drink to use, as well as Glycofuse with HBCD for performance. I'm definitely a fan of intra-workout nutrition these days.

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
I'm a fan. Never used carbs much intra, but I've used a lot of bcaa/eaa formulas. I can definitely tell a difference in my recovery and I just like having flavors in my water. So I figure why not make those flavors count?!

I currently alternate between RPG and HumaPro. Depends on what kind of workout I'm doing that day. I've gone through tubs of Modern BCAA, too. Can't go wrong with it!
I use HumaPro and Compete together..ready to give GlycoFuse a try

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All comes down to nutrition prior to training. Training fasted or haven't had a meal in 2+ hours, I'd shoot for an intra containing carbs. If a pre-workout meal is in place, then IMO, no need for an intra (depending on type of training and duration). I will say, if in a gaining phase, there certainly isn't any negatives to supplementing with an intra shake whether a pre meal is in place or not.

I recently dropped my intra-carb shake and replaced with simple carbs post-workout. I do have my pre-workout meal roughly 90-120 minutes prior to training, so I am properly fueled. I haven't noticed any drop in performance at all.

I've actually just been drinking water for the first 40-60 minutes of my session, and then pounding an intra consisting of 1 scoop Amino IV, 1 scoop Ergonine, and 1 scoop High Volume (simply because around this time, its been almost 3 hours with no food, so I like to utilize the volumizers and amino acids at this time).

Bossmoss94

Bossmoss94

Awards
Intra-MD. You'll never go back to not using it. Grape and Orange are both awesome.

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
OP, do you eat before training? I myself hit the gym first thing in the morning, hence my use of an intra for nutrients. I do agree with my fellow reps that outside of fasted training, an intra-workout source of carbs/protein isn't really warranted.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
I like Endur3 intra.

Also make my own a couple days a week. Bulk BCAAs/EAAs, and some other goodies with a flavor packet (usually lemonade mix etc). Not a fan of carbs intra though some swear by it.

Only time I'll do carbs intra is for sessions of 1.5-2+ hours.

All that said, they are nice to have but NOT a necessity in most cases. An argument can be made for fasted training though. I tend to use them more on calorie restrictions and during cutting season.

Plex78

Plex78

Awards
OP, do you eat before training? I myself hit the gym first thing in the morning, hence my use of an intra for nutrients. I do agree with my fellow reps that outside of fasted training, an intra-workout source of carbs/protein isn't really warranted.
No I usually don't eat at all go straight to the gym early in the mornings also and train fasted. On days I don't wake up and go I usually leave myself a 2 hour window without eating. Some days are cardio and ground work based, other days are weights and cardio.

TrainerTone

TrainerTone

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I almost always use iForce Compete as my intraworkout. Love that it helps with endurance and hydration. And when I bulk I like to use Gaspari SizeOn

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'll usually do a scoop of Compete or purple Wraath Intra and mix 1/2 scoop glycoside with my pre workout 20-30 mins prior to training and use another 1/2 scoop with Compete during my workout.

I typically always train first thin in the morning or several hours after a
Meal.

I hate feeling "full" when I go to workout. Performance decreases and I feel sluggish.

Plex78

Plex78

Awards
I'll usually do a scoop of Compete or purple Wraath Intra and mix 1/2 scoop glycoside with my pre workout 20-30 mins prior to training and use another 1/2 scoop with Compete during my workout.

I typically always train first thin in the morning or several hours after a
Meal.

I hate feeling "full" when I go to workout. Performance decreases and I feel sluggish.
Completely agree with you on feeling sluggish if I workout within an hour or less Preworkout

totalpackage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You mentioned Size On and that's a solid one to use since you train on an empty stomach also Universal
Torrent is another solid option and I also like 1 scoop of unflavored Glycofuse combined with whatever flavor
of bcaa's I choose to use that day.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
my favorites

with carbs: Intra-MD (orange flavor FTW)
Carb Free: Purple Wraath (Pink lemonade is refreshing)

I've been using Amino IV recently, but it just makes me feel REALLY thirsty. I have to have another jug of water with me to sip on too.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I like to take them first thing in the morning whenever I am cutting because i'll do fasted cardio. I also will take them during my workout as something to sip on that has some flavor.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm using diesel BCAA product and really enjoying it. I am taking androcrine with white flood, aminos, orange triad and really enjoying this right now.

Plex78

Plex78

Awards
I'm using diesel BCAA product and really enjoying it. I am taking androcrine with white flood, aminos, orange triad and really enjoying this right now.
I've heard a lot of stuff about Androcrine all positive. How do you like it?

DEVANS89

DEVANS89

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Intra MD is one of my favourites, orange is very light and pretty refreshing. Covers everything you'd want for a intra drink

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've heard a lot of stuff about Androcrine all positive. How do you like it?
So far I have only been on it for about a week. I have no complaints to date. Increased hunger and vascularity in my arms so far.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Compete gets my vote. Plus the stuff tastes awesome. Sometimes I will throw in some HBCD if I have it.

I am excited to try Size On by Gaspari....hopefully they come out with the Pre Contest formula again!!!!!

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
tons of great intra options out there.....currently using a mixture of iforce compete with alri chain'd out, but I also love humapro and leaning towards size on as the fall comes around

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Intra-MD I couldn't even taste the Orange. Because of the July 4th sale, I picked up some Endure + in Pina Colada. I'm still not sold on Intras for "pre-workout eaters" but I'm testing it out and the flavor is pretty good.

HellAtlantic

HellAtlantic

Awards
  • Established
If I eat my lunch at like 11:30am and don't eat anything until 3:20pm when I work out is that considered working out while fasted? I'm not intentionally trying to be fasted I just don't like the feeling of food moving in my stomach as I workout pretty intensely so I like to make sure I have a fully digested stomach (apart from water and preworkout/creatine).

Plex78

Plex78

Awards
Compete gets my vote. Plus the stuff tastes awesome. Sometimes I will throw in some HBCD if I have it.

I am excited to try Size On by Gaspari....hopefully they come out with the Pre Contest formula again!!!!!
Sizeon is legit stuff. I believe the pre contest was without carbs. Not sure why they pulled it

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
I like Xtend Perform. 1 scoop pre workout, 1 during, really kicks in for endurance.

Lynks8

Lynks8

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Intra-MD I couldn't even taste the Orange. Because of the July 4th sale, I picked up some Endure + in Pina Colada. I'm still not sold on Intras for "pre-workout eaters" but I'm testing it out and the flavor is pretty good.
Interested to hear your thoughts as you get through the bottle. Endur3 is going to be my next intra.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Anything other than water makes me feel sick during a workout. I'd like to try more but I feel like it's a waste cause I'll just get sick lol

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anything other than water makes me feel sick during a workout. I'd like to try more but I feel like it's a waste cause I'll just get sick lol
Then take it post workout or in between meals. Intra workout is only one way of taking an amino product.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Interested to hear your thoughts as you get through the bottle. Endur3 is going to be my next intra.
I have the perfect test (for me). I suck at Squats (beltless ATG). I usually don't get the last rep my program calls for on heavy days (if I drop weight then the percentages are too light for volume days - and yes, I could vary, but I don't want to deal with that :D). So I figure if these Intra's get me that rep - they do something above oatmeal and protein an hour before. I've had the opportunity twice now - but messed up the "study" by literally eating 5,000-7,000 kcals the night before due to social events. I'll let you know.

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
I have the perfect test (for me). I suck at Squats (beltless ATG). I usually don't get the last rep my program calls for on heavy days (if I drop weight then the percentages are too light for volume days - and yes, I could vary, but I don't want to deal with that :D). So I figure if these Intra's get me that rep - they do something above oatmeal and protein an hour before. I've had the opportunity twice now - but messed up the "study" by literally eating 5,000-7,000 kcals the night before due to social events. I'll let you know.
you should definitely post that here, im interested if adding carbs like HBCD is going to be that beneficial to an intra workout

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I've used several things intra from eaas and Bcaa to intra carbs. All of them help me sustain energy through longer workouts.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This happened to me last year during prep. Turned out it was the sweetners....nothing like sipping unflavored Aminos!