Favorite Intra-workout drink?

joe123!

joe123!

Awards
  • Established
What's your favorite intro workout drink? I do a decent amount of HIIT, and always looking for good Intra-workout drinks. Here are two of my favorites.

Coconut water
EXTEND BCAA I'll sometimes add Himalayan sea salt

When running/biking I've used:

Endurox R4
Accelerade
Boatload of different gels
Small amount of fruit, or just something easy to grab on the road

Last edited:
BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
** I worked up to this over time and started at 10g EAA and 25g Carbohydrate **

25g HBCD (from Intra-MD by true nutrition)
25g Karboload (rice syrup solids from true nutrition)
50g Dextrose
25g Cool-aid powder full sugar (if you know the OG research than created gator-aid the you will understand the thinking behind adding some sucrose and hence fructose)

30g EAA
5g TMG
20g Glutamine
5g citrulline

64oz water

I have played with 100% HBCD and various ratios of maltodextrin, waxy maize, dextrose, sucrose, and rice syrup solids. Once adapted to the total carb load intra the source does not seem to really matter. In the beginning, the cheaper sources were a little harder to get used to and HBCD and Karboload were easier to tolerate. I find Karboload to be the best combination of price and ease of digestion.

Benefits: zero perceived fatigue during training. My muscles obviously tire out and my strength drops as the workout progresses but I have as much energy mentally at the end as the start. Recovery is enhanced as well and total training volume is much larger than before. If you are a 45min in and out a trainer who trains later in the day after multiple meals then results will not be very dramatic. I train 4am most mornings and prefer to not rise at 2am to eat lol.

@sns8778 I NEVER used to bloat at all from creatine mono but adding 5g to the above makes it feel like that whole half gallon takes up permanent residence in my gut. Things change as we age and less than two weeks out from my 39th CM is off the table. I will be switching to SNS Creatine hcl here soon.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Gatorade or water. I just can't do anything else.

Otherwise, I like the profile for Leg Day by Nutrabio.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
** I worked up to this over time and started at 10g EAA and 25g Carbohydrate **

25g HBCD (from Intra-MD by true nutrition)
25g Karboload (rice syrup solids from true nutrition)
50g Dextrose
25g Cool-aid powder full sugar (if you know the OG research than created gator-aid the you will understand the thinking behind adding some sucrose and hence fructose)

30g EAA
5g TMG
20g Glutamine
5g citrulline

64oz water

I have played with 100% HBCD and various ratios of maltodextrin, waxy maize, dextrose, sucrose, and rice syrup solids. Once adapted to the total carb load intra the source does not seem to really matter. In the beginning, the cheaper sources were a little harder to get used to and HBCD and Karboload were easier to tolerate. I find Karboload to be the best combination of price and ease of digestion.

Benefits: zero perceived fatigue during training. My muscles obviously tire out and my strength drops as the workout progresses but I have as much energy mentally at the end as the start. Recovery is enhanced as well and total training volume is much larger than before. If you are a 45min in and out a trainer who trains later in the day after multiple meals then results will not be very dramatic. I train 4am most mornings and prefer to not rise at 2am to eat lol.

@sns8778 I NEVER used to bloat at all from creatine mono but adding 5g to the above makes it feel like that whole half gallon takes up permanent residence in my gut. Things change as we age and less than two weeks out from my 39th CM is off the table. I will be switching to SNS Creatine hcl here soon.
That's a very interesting combination.

For Creatine Monohydrate, I know the feeling. I feel like I swallowed a dang Volkswagen every time I take it.

Creatine HCI is a great way to go and Magnesium Creatine Chelate is as well. We have both in stock now but are getting low on both. This creatine shortage situation is crazy.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Nutrabio Intrablast or Morphogen Synthegen
+
Nutrabio HBCD or Morphogen Hexagen

If it is just HBCD then I tend to add 1-2g SNS MCC to it.

Amount of carbs varies depending on the duration of activity, but usually just the standard 1 scoop or around 25 grams.

B1LL1ST1C

Awards
SNS Magnesium Creatine Chelate is legit. I tolerate monohydrate fairly well but I enjoy less bloating and a little extra mag in my diet with MCC. Just bought like 7 tubs off of DPS to cover me for the next year or so. This might be another good option for you aside from just HCL.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
SNS Magnesium Creatine Chelate is legit. I tolerate monohydrate fairly well but I enjoy less bloating and a little extra mag in my diet with MCC. Just bought like 7 tubs off of DPS to cover me for the next year or so. This might be another good option for you aside from just HCL.
I'm glad that you enjoy our MCC. You did good by stocking up too bc the price of all Creatine is through the roof right now. We are getting ready to be out of MCC soon and its a patented ingredient. The patent holder told us that the price of the raw materials may be as high as 2.5 times what it has traditionally been.

B1LL1ST1C

Awards
I'm glad that you enjoy our MCC. You did good by stocking up too bc the price of all Creatine is through the roof right now. We are getting ready to be out of MCC soon and its a patented ingredient. The patent holder told us that the price of the raw materials may be as high as 2.5 times what it has traditionally been.
Yea that’s wild. Hopefully it continues to be available. I didn’t want to take the chance. Especially while the pricing was still fair.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yea that’s wild. Hopefully it continues to be available. I didn’t want to take the chance. Especially while the pricing was still fair.
They patent holder is out of stock right now. We have an order in for more as soon as they get some. We will do our best to keep it available as long as we can get it. We may just have to do some price changes on it. I always try to absorb price increases where we can but this one would put us paying over double the cost to make it so we would have to make some type of adjustment to be able to keep offering it.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3 of my favorites have been

sns energized aminos
primeval eaa max
kaged muscle intra was pretty decent too .. wasnt mainly focused on taste/aminos but mainly on more effectiveness to push heavy weights

currently using nutrabio intrablast and i hate the taste .. but its the naturally flavored series, got it in a trade so cant wait to finish it this month and throw out the tub .. effectiveness/recovery is there but the taste is horrible for my taste bud

B1LL1ST1C

Awards
3 of my favorites have been

sns energized aminos
primeval eaa max
kaged muscle intra was pretty decent too .. wasnt mainly focused on taste/aminos but mainly on more effectiveness to push heavy weights

currently using nutrabio intrablast and i hate the taste .. but its the naturally flavored series, got it in a trade so cant wait to finish it this month and throw out the tub .. effectiveness/recovery is there but the taste is horrible for my taste bud
Intrablast is good stuff but I wasn’t a fan of their natural flavored version. That Kiwi Strawberry was a little rough. Kind of regretted not going with the regular flavoring.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I te

Intrablast is good stuff but I wasn’t a fan of their natural flavored version. That Kiwi Strawberry was a little rough. Kind of regretted not going with the regular flavoring.
ha yup thats the flavor i have

joe123!

joe123!

Awards
  • Established
Great feedback, thanks.

Key question, can you physically tell the difference when you drink the intro versus not?

Since I do a lot of HIIT, If I don't have anything I'll start fading around 1hr. I can easily go 1.5-2 hr when fueling properly.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
They patent holder is out of stock right now. We have an order in for more as soon as they get some. We will do our best to keep it available as long as we can get it. We may just have to do some price changes on it. I always try to absorb price increases where we can but this one would put us paying over double the cost to make it so we would have to make some type of adjustment to be able to keep offering it.
If you keep absorbing price increases at a certain point you are subsidizing our intake and I don't think that is fair, reasonable, or sane to expect from a company...............................now that of course does not stop some people from expecting just that lol. The number of times I have received a blank stare of non-comprehension when I explain that I cannot sell something for less than I paid.......................sigh.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Great feedback, thanks.

Key question, can you physically tell the difference when you drink the intro versus not?

Since I do a lot of HIIT, If I don't have anything I'll start fading around 1hr. I can easily go 1.5-2 hr when fueling properly.
all depends on a good pre .. and mood mainly .. weird sometimes just water does the trick and sometimes like you said after a hr your dragging and need a pick me up intra

i think your whole nutrition through out the day factors in big time .. esp if you are working late in the day like me.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think good honey is pretty solid intra. some honey doesn't taste very good straight up and idk why

Nodus1

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I'm a big fan of Nutrabio Leg Day. Sure I could, and probably should, find a cheaper alternative to cover most of Leg Day's bases, but nothing that I'm aware of is as comprehensive. EAAs/BCAAs, hydration, fast carbs, pump/performance - it's all in there.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm a big fan of Nutrabio Leg Day. Sure I could, and probably should, find a cheaper alternative to cover most of Leg Day's bases, but nothing that I'm aware of is as comprehensive. EAAs/BCAAs, hydration, fast carbs, pump/performance - it's all in there.
I'd like to try the New York Punch flavor of that.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
1/3 bottle of protein2o
1/3 packet of liquid iv
scoop of random bcaa products and eaa products i just combine in an old protein jug
5g of creatine
water

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Leg Day is legit. I need to pick more up, it is super convenient. Last time I wanted some it wasn't in stock, but seems they've added more flavors since last I checked.

klbsa

klbsa

Awards
  • First Up Vote
While training I have settled on sugar free Gatorade or Powerade….. Sometimes if I’m feeling a little more dehydrated than I’d like I will mix them 50/50 with water.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm starting to get into drinking lots of gensing. will see how it goes. gonna use it pre and intra probably. I have ND extracts but also got the instant Korean ginseng tea. not really sure if the tea is root leaf stem or fermented