Iodine/Dr. Brownstein

latinorebel

Awards
I heard him speak on a non profit radio station about Iodine and was extremely intrigued about what he had to say.

He believes over 90% of Americans are iodine deficient, and that there are several links between that deficiency and thyroid issues, among several other issues.

And he believes iodine is the single most important nutrient.

Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
He's very incorrect. Most people in Western society with thyroid deficiencies have hashimoto's thyroiditis, and supplementing iodine simply makes their thyroid function even worse.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
He's very incorrect. Most people in Western society with thyroid deficiencies have hashimoto's thyroiditis, and supplementing iodine simply makes their thyroid function even worse.
Whats you opinion on hashimotos being linked to potassium iodine? Ive read that eliminating it and supplementing with seaweed or isosol iodine, but not to much, can help alot.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whats you opinion on hashimotos being linked to potassium iodine? Ive read that eliminating it and supplementing with seaweed or isosol iodine, but not to much, can help alot.
Honestly I don't believe in it for a second. Anybody with a thyroid deficiency should see their doctor and be prescribed medication. I personally take synthroid and would not mess with my thyroid for a second.

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
would i be correct in assuming that iodine deficiencies arnt even a relevant issue in the western society as well? i feel like iodine gets brought up once in a blue moon regarding thyroid optimization ect, and this is always the take away (not a formidable option for thyroid function even outside of actual medical concerns eg, bros looking to get lean).

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
would i be correct in assuming that iodine deficiencies arnt even a relevant issue in the western society as well? i feel like iodine gets brought up once in a blue moon regarding thyroid optimization ect, and this is always the take away (not a formidable option for thyroid function).
Yeah. We get plenty in our diet so unless you are very malnourished, people in the Western world shouldn't be worried about iodine at all.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Yeah. We get plenty in our diet so unless you are very malnourished, people in the Western world shouldn't be worried about iodine at all.
Other than Iodized Table Salt (a poor source due to sublimation), where else do we get it these days? IMO, unless you live near the shore and eat a lot of seafood/seaweed weekly - where else?

Also OT: All my Notifications have disappeared - I don't know where I've been :D

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Other than Iodized Table Salt (a poor source due to sublimation), where else do we get it these days? IMO, unless you live near the shore and eat a lot of seafood/seaweed weekly - where else?

Also OT: All my Notifications have disappeared - I don't know where I've been :D
Would be easier for you to just google food rich in iodine :) There are plenty! Regardless,it has no bearing on the topic (thyroid function in the first world).

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I eat A LOT of fish. I have kelp pills here though. Not sure if I should take them. I had a blood test, my TSH was 1.11. That was with taking the multi and some other pills(Zinc, Vit D, Magnesium, Fish Oil) but without the kelp pills. I then had another blood test later on while I was on the kelp pills and my TSH went up to 2.0. They never tested T3, or T4.