Iodine supplementation

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Has anyone experimented with iodine supplementation or currently taking one? Just curious and thought I'd share my experience. A little over a year ago I started taking 246mcg of nascent iodine from kelp as a sort of safeguard against fluoride buildup. About a week ago I ran out. After a few days of not taking it I got really irritable and mildly depressed. That lasted for a few days then I started leveling out. I also noticed I started filling out more. My midsection felt fluffy. My shoulders felt fuller too. I ordered more from a different manufacturer that was a little higher dose at 325mcg. After one dose I sucked back down, actually felt and looked scrawny compared to how I usually look. So it would seem I'm quite sensitive to iodine and it's effect on thyroid. My body temp seemed to go up, my stomach felt like it emptied faster too. So my concern ultimately is if I'm boosting thyroid output too much by supplementation could that hinder muscle growth and fullness?

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
It would be incredibly rare to notice that much of a difference that quickly from Iodine; so if you are, that would mean you're incredibly sensitive to it.

The only way to know if you're boosting thyroid too much with it would be to have your thyroid levels checked. If you do that, I would suggest asking for reverse T3 to be included in the bloodwork as the reverse T3 ratio can be important as well.

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've taken Lugol's Iodine for many many years. Not "all the time", but it will have you losing weight if you daily dose it for about a month, and definitely fights off cold/infections/flu when you megadose it at about 12-15 drops every 2 hours.

mechka_grizli

mechka_grizli

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I take a 1 to 2 drops a day in water, but keep it on hand for colds and stomsch viruses. I dont use regular table salt which is iodized, so I get it through the Lugols. Dont think ive ever noticed the effects you mentioned

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I take a 1 to 2 drops a day in water, but keep it on hand for colds and stomsch viruses. I dont use regular table salt which is iodized, so I get it through the Lugols. Dont think ive ever noticed the effects you mentioned
You need to be taking around 15 drops a day maintenance to see weight loss effects. Add selenium with it tho.