HMB?

beastmode1981

beastmode1981

Awards
  • Established
Anyone think this is a valuable extra in a supplement arsenal? Ive read conflicting views on its usefulness. If so, what dosage?

PeteRyde

PeteRyde

Awards
It significantly improved my cholesterol. Not sure if it did anything else. Still take it as it's fairly cheap. The studies on it seem positive but sometimes that means nothing in the real world.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
For the price i think hmb is worth supplementing in from time to time. I wouldn't call it a staple but for now it's worth picking up a bottle if you want to try it.

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use 3-5g a day when cutting. I don't think it does much for bulking as it seems to be best for anti-catabolism and recovery at low cals. Definitely helps me with recovery in that instance!

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
Anybody agree that hmb pre fasted training could be beneficial instead of leucine or bcaa to help stave off catabolism and avoid insulin spike (that you might get from bcaa/leucine)?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Oh, the many benefits of HMB-Ca that aren't Fasted/Catabolism related:

What the analyses of these data revealed was quite conclusive: The provision of "regular" calcium HMB at a dosage of "only" 3g/day had a highly significant "advantageous effecton the increase in aerobic capacity and the reduction of fat mass" (Durkalec-Michalsky. 2015). More specifically,...

* the subjects' VO2 max increased (+2.7 mL/min/kg) significantly (p < 0.001) in comparison to PLA where it was even slightly reduced (−1.0 mL/min/kg),

* the ventilatory threshold, the threshold load, and the heart rate, which are the time-point, wattage, and heart rate at which further increases in respiration will no longer lead to increases in VO2 intake, were postponed by +1.2 min, +0.42 W, and +9bpm, respectively

* with -0.9 kg the subjects in the HMB group lost body fat, while the subjects in the PLA groups gained 0.8 kg (p = 0.03)

* the refusal time to continue (a proxy of short term recovery) in the progressive test was extended (p = 0.04), maximum load (p = 0.04) and anaerobic peak power (p = 0.02) increased.
Cheaper than -(-)Epi :D

Attachments

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And here I thought some of the effects were just in my head :D

compan

compan

Awards
For the price i think hmb is worth supplementing in from time to time. I wouldn't call it a staple but for now it's worth picking up a bottle if you want to try it.
I'd echo this. It's definitely worth a shot.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I ran 3 bottles of MT's clear Muscle at the end of 2014-beginning of 2015. Did wonders for recovery since I do high volume training. It's worth a shot, especially if on a cut.

danielmoo

danielmoo

Awards
  • Established
I ran 3 bottles of MT's clear Muscle at the end of 2014-beginning of 2015. Did wonders for recovery since I do high volume training. It's worth a shot, especially if on a cut.
Yep, not a very big monetary loss even if it goes unnoticed. I noticed a small increase in recovery at the very least during my short HMB run.

avega17

Awards
  • Established
Is there any theoretical or empirical evidence for decreases in efficacy when stacked with PA and/or leucine?

Just to make sure, it is anti-catabolic during fasted cardio, and the insulin response is negligible or non-existent?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 26
Supplements 2
GreenMachineX Supplements 11
Supplements 42
Supplements 49