Supplements and Safety, a FRONTLINE and New York Times investigation documentary

ALIEN

Awards
I haven't watched it yet but appears to shed a negative light and calls for further regulation and oversight..

It’s estimated that half of all Americans take a health supplement every day, from fish oil to multivitamins to diet pills.

The more than $30 billion vitamins and supplements industry says these products can make consumers healthier.

But Supplements and Safety, a FRONTLINE investigation in collaboration with The New York Times that premieres tonight, raises tough questions about how vitamins and supplements are marketed and regulated, and examines how it’s often hard to know what’s really in the bottles you’re buying.
ww.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/when-it-comes-to-supplements-whats-really-in-the-bottle
ww.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/supplements-and-safety

(add another w to links)

Ameyer9

Awards
Will watch and report back. This piques my interests

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
I haven't watched it yet but appears to shed a negative light and calls for further regulation and oversight..

ww.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/when-it-comes-to-supplements-whats-really-in-the-bottle
ww.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/supplements-and-safety

(add another w to links)
I'll watch it but I'd be surprised if it's anything new.

It comes down to the same thing as shown in "Bigger, Faster, Stronger" , you can hand cap a lot of pills pretty quickly in your own home. A lot of the superdrol that used to be on the market was capped in kitchens. People would literally ship the kilos over as something else, and then they'd cap in their own home, selling the bottles.

It's important to buy products from trustworthy people who do actually test and verify that the raws the manufacturer says are legit actually are.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My wife watched it and told me I can't take supplements anymore, lol.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Maybe if the FDA actually enforced the laws on hand, we wouldn't have to worry about any of this...

BeardedBreast

BeardedBreast

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Please lord let my woman not see this

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Maybe if the FDA actually enforced the laws on hand, we wouldn't have to worry about any of this...
Let me ask you this since I'm not on the inside: Is there a law, with a criminal (ie. jail) penalty for putting 25g of Protein on the label, but having 10g of Protein and 15g of Glycine in there?

Aaron.Cole

Aaron.Cole

Awards
My wife watched it and told me I can't take supplements anymore, lol.
This would happen to me.

She nurses our daughter, and so last night I casually mentioned that guys can lactate, too.

Her: Because they took too many supplements?

Me: Well...no.

And then I said some things about anabolic steroid abuse, prolactin, estrogen, and kinda fizzled out when she lost interest. She knows I use supplements to aid my workouts, but the first time I told her I had a creatine supplement, she said: "Isn't that like steroids?"

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Let me ask you this since I'm not on the inside: Is there a law, with a criminal (ie. jail) penalty for putting 25g of Protein on the label, but having 10g of Protein and 15g of Glycine in there?

There are numerous laws this would break. You're committing false advertising, your labels are not up to spec with FDA regulations, you are selling an adulterated drug(this is the biggest issue here...selling something with an ingredient not listed = adulterated drug, regardless of how safe the ingredients included in that product), and many more.

This type of stuff is ILLEGAL and if the FDA actually followed the current laws on the books, no one would be attempting this nonsense

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
There are numerous laws this would break. You're committing false advertising, your labels are not up to spec with FDA regulations, you are selling an adulterated drug(this is the biggest issue here...selling something with an ingredient not listed = adulterated drug, regardless of how safe the ingredients included in that product), and many more.

This type of stuff is ILLEGAL and if the FDA actually followed the current laws on the books, no one would be attempting this nonsense
I meant if it was listed. Ie. Whey Protein Concentrate, Glycine,... Most spiking is listed on the label - people just don't know how to figure that out. Some is outright hidden, but most of the lawsuits had the spiking on the label somewhere.

I have a hard time believing that under current law, using the Nitrogen content from Glycine in the Protein Content section, is a criminal offense - but I don't know - is it?

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I meant if it was listed. Ie. Whey Protein Concentrate, Glycine,... Most spiking is listed on the label - people just don't know how to figure that out. Some is outright hidden, but most of the lawsuits had the spiking on the label somewhere.

I have a hard time believing that under current law, using the Nitrogen content from Glycine in the Protein Content section, is a criminal offense - but I don't know - is it?
Is it a criminal offense directly? Most likely not. Is actively deceiving and lying on your label a criminal offense? Yes.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I'm not sure if any mislabeling is actually considered criminal. It is a regulation violation that will result in a fine, not jail time. I would think jail time happens only when you have situations where you can demonstrate intention AND harm done to others.

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
Issue isn't lack of laws, lack of enforcement is the issue

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
honestly,

what is this going to tell us that we don't already know? we live in a world of we want it now, regardless of the cost.
want that new shirt, just charge it
can afford to buy that new car, just lease it
cant get to the store to buy those shoes, no problem go on amazon
need your nose fixed, we can take care of that this Friday
want to make millions, invest in the fund, youll be rich
want ripped abs, more muscle- swallow this pill

when everything around us promotes having everything we want right now instead of waiting, you can sell anything to anyone. when the law changes, well find a loop hole, we have lawyers and scientist already working on it.

its not about ethics. Ethics went out the window years ago. its about finical gain and always will be. until we all decide enough is enough, it will continue. you cant change on aspect of the "we want it now" it all has to change

Ameyer9

Awards
False advertising makes up for 90% of advertising in this industry. As far as label claims, they'll slap you with a fine that's a fraction of what big companies would make off of spiked protein and on they go.

Aaron.Cole

Aaron.Cole

Awards
honestly,

what is this going to tell us that we don't already know? we live in a world of we want it now, regardless of the cost.
want that new shirt, just charge it
can afford to buy that new car, just lease it
cant get to the store to buy those shoes, no problem go on amazon
need your nose fixed, we can take care of that this Friday
want to make millions, invest in the fund, youll be rich
want ripped abs, more muscle- swallow this pill

when everything around us promotes having everything we want right now instead of waiting, you can sell anything to anyone. when the law changes, well find a loop hole, we have lawyers and scientist already working on it.

its not about ethics. Ethics went out the window years ago. its about finical gain and always will be. until we all decide enough is enough, it will continue. you cant change on aspect of the "we want it now" it all has to change
McDonaldization mindset. Well put smith_69

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
A lot of members are brushing this off but a lot of onlookers here are going to watch and have some serious concerns.

To them I say:
Buy wisely,
Know the company you are ordering from,
Be a critic, dig deeper,
Don't buy the first product you see pop up in an internet ad,

AM members feel pretty "in the know" and think nothing of this,
But not even most reps know the exact manufacturing conditions for their products, or the source of their raws.

#keepingitreal

This is getting more and more increased attention, and what the world is seeing is that video and other troubling reports, and cases like with USPlabs (which is scary, regardless of what exactly went down)

The public image of this industry is going through some interesting times.