are you for Intra Workout? Not sure its worth it.

Tiocfaidh

Tiocfaidh

Awards
  • Established
I see a lot of new products that are promoting intra workout? are these mainly just bcaa's and are these products actually worth it? can't a pre workout meal take care of this?

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes a preworkout meal will help. No need unless training fasted.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
All depends on how you train and the rest of your diet, especially what you might be taking before or after.

Tiocfaidh

Tiocfaidh

Awards
  • Established
so no science really showing benefits? im cutting and wonder if it has any muscle sparing effect

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
so no science really showing benefits? im cutting and wonder if it has any muscle sparing effect
Now that it does(benefit on a cut). I normally utilize an intra during a cut or take 3-5 grams of leucine. Something like ergonine would also fit the bill. Layne Norton has a bunch of studies if you want the science. Just google him. I know The solution has direct links on hand iirc.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Now that it does(benefit on a cut). I normally utilize an intra during a cut or take 3-5 grams of leucine. Something like ergonine would also fit the bill. Payne Norton has a bunch of studies if you want the science. Just google him. I know The solution has direct links on hand iirc.
I see a lot of new products that are promoting intra workout? are these mainly just bcaa's and are these products actually worth it? can't a pre workout meal take care of this?
First people like to talk about sipping on amion's all day
Mr Cooper destroyed that myth:

"Don't fall for the "it's a great replacement for sugary drinks" argument. BCAAs are 6 calories per gram, and when sipped in an all day fashion, contribute heavily to both an insulin response and gluconeogenesis. Sipping on BCAA’s takes away from MPS (Muscle Protein Synthesis) as levels never get a chance to reach refractory stages before being spiked again The net effect is increased insulin and blood sugar. So when you sip on BCAAs instead of sugary drinks...you replace blood sugar with insulin."

Exactly if you have a pre-workout meal. Aminos will be present through your workout and into the post-workout period. Most people will have food overlapping into the post-workout window and meal so there is no real need for an instant BCAA shake or a protein shake post-workout:

When are Carbs and Protein VERY Important Post-workout?

Carbs:
- During leg Training + HIIT Cardio or doing a 2-3 hour intense workout session
Protein:
-Resistance Training in a fasted state (no meal consumed at least 3-4 hours prior)

When are Carbs and Protein of lesser importance Post-workout?

Carbs:
- 1-2 hour training session after a pre-workout meal (Small or mixed 2-3 hours prior to session)
Protein:
- Training after a meal composed of 20-40g Protein at least 1-2 hours prior to a workout in a fed state.

Overall Cliffs:

- Nutrient Timing can be beneficial but window of opportunity is not as big as believed
- Provided protein rich meal 3-4 hours prior to training, there is no stress about immediate post-workout protein supplement or meal

- Consume .4-.5g/kg of LBM in a pre/post workout exercise window spaced 4-6 hours depending on meal size.
- Post workout carb intake does not meaningful increase aabolicsm unless doing a 2 a day workout session involving same muscle groups. Glycogen is not a limting factor if you can consume enough Carbohydrates daily in the 24 hour period.

BCAA's would only benefit you for fasted AM Training dosed pre-workout or as a bolus between meals 4-6 hours apart

http://www.biolayne.com/wp-content/uploads/Norton-J-Ag-Food-Ind-Hi-Tech-2008.pdf
http://www.slideshare.net/biolayne/optimal-protein-intake-and-meal-frequency-to-support-maximal-protein-synthesis-and-muscle-mass

If you are meeting protein intake in the 24 hour period most likely you will not need more protein which BCAA's are. What people may find beneficial in BCAA's are the extra included in them
SynerGlut, LCLT, Electrolytes, HICA etc. that can help with recovery and performance during training.

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I knew he had them on hand :)

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
With a pre-workout meal with sufficient protein, there isn't a need for an intra workout product. May one be of benefit? Yes, but definitely not a necessary. :)

When looking at intras, a lot of us prefer EAA's over just BCAA's as well.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I train fasted and just got some Intra from GSN to try, I may give it a shot!

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
Xtend is supposed to be released a nice study showing how useful it is as an Intra, but up to this point I don't see a need for an intra if peri workout nutrition is good

TyMan14

TyMan14

Awards
  • Established
I read this as I'm sipping on bcaas because they taste good. Fantastic. I'll stop doing that and only use them intraworkout. Lol

Tiocfaidh

Tiocfaidh

Awards
  • Established
With a pre-workout meal with sufficient protein, there isn't a need for an intra workout product. May one be of benefit? Yes, but definitely not a necessary. :)

When looking at intras, a lot of us prefer EAA's over just BCAA's as well.
so you think an EAA mix would be better? whats the major difference

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think that has to contend for longest rambling post in a thread about intra-workouts, that has literally nothing to do with intraworkouts until the last line.

The Solution never ceases to amaze me.