Protein powder that does not cause GI distress...

ikeNball

ikeNball

Awards
  • Established
Please don't pimp out the PES Select protein, as many AM members do already.
That stuff messes with my stomach.
Same goes with ON Whey.
Also tried Dymatize Elite and the same issue: feel that the sweetener in it causes me to get bloated>the benefits of said protein.

Any suggestions (besides the obvious of just eating whole food, as I've been leaning towards anyhow) ?

Nyrin

Awards
Have you tried isolates? Plant proteins? Something in the milk (either a lactose thing or a dairy protein sensitivity) sounds likely here; I'm not familiar with sweeteners causing bloating.

Select is pretty low-lactose, so a sensitivity to one of the dairy proteins seems probable. Something plant-based may give you less trouble.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you are having GI issues, try an isolate.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Maybe some digestive enzymes would help? Are you lactose intolerant? If so, switching to an isolate may help as well.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LOL, I think we all posted almost simultaneously.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Isolates (Blue star, allmax)
Plant based products (VEGA)
No Whey (AI) which is mostly PEA protein

These are your best options on top of whole foods.

ikeNball

ikeNball

Awards
  • Established
I'm not lactose intolerant per-say, but I am Jewish and have a sensitive stomach in general.
I take Pearls (digestive enzymes) daily. My gas is already generally bad bc of my high fiber/veggie count in my regular diet.
I just want to take advantage of whey right before and/or after my work outs.
I get enough soy protein, as I eat dry roasted edamame as a snack daily. So don't want to supplement with any more soy.
As of now, looks like my 1st change up will be: trying a whey isolate.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Pure isolates and hydro's do not give me GI issues.

Only problem is I can't justify them for anything except immediately pre/post workout or intra-workout (with the hydro's this has worked well for me).

PES Select actually gives me a good a amount of gas. But I still take it because it's a high quality blend and its flipping delicious.

carmaf

carmaf

Awards
  • Established
ISO-100 by Dymatize is the best Isolate I've ever tried. Never had a single stomach issue with it....ever.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Because sensitivity is completely subjective take these recommendations for what they're worth, find a protein that fits your budget and palate and stick with that.

Personally I use select but I also keep SAN's raw fusion around because it's one of the most solid nondairy proteins I've seen. It's
-hypoallergenic
-naturally sweetened
-blended vegan sources meant to have a sililar amino profile as whey
-tastes amazing
-and WAY cheaper (price per serving) than vega, sun warrior, and most any other quality vegan proteins

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Try an isolate. I have not had many, but Allmax makes a delicious one.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Look into metabolic nutrtionals, protozyme. It has a digestive compound in it, and it has always been great on my GI. peanut butter cookies is my go to