Curcumin Lowers Estrogen

GQNemesis

GQNemesis

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Serious Nutrition Solutions Liver Assist XT (180 Capsules): Discount Liver Assist XT Supplements

Interesting article
Curcumin, the main bioactive substance in turmeric, inhibits the production of estradiol. How the anti-oestrogenic effect of curcumin works the researchers at Hubei University of Medicine in China didn't look at, but that doesn't make their in-vitro study any less interesting.

Curcumin - in relatively high doses at least – has a testosterone boosting effect, and is therefore interesting for men and athletes who want to raise their testosterone level in a natural way. We wrote about this a week or so ago.

This in itself is interesting of course, but the study that the Chinese published in the Iranian Journal of Reproductive Medicine shows that curcumin is even more interesting – even though the authors were interested in something totally different from longevity, men, anabolic hormones and sport. The Chinese were looking for a safe and cheap medicine for endometriosis.

Endometriosis is a disease in which mucous membrane that normally lines the inside of the womb starts to grow outside the womb. The growth of this mucus membrane is regulated by estradiol [structural formula above], and it seems that the cells of the endometrial tissue outside the womb start to make estradiol themselves. It is known at least that women with endometriosis have raised levels of estradiol.

The Chinese researchers had previously discovered that curcumin inhibited the growth of endometrial cells in lab animals. [Int J Mol Med. 2011 Jan; 27(1): 87-94.] They wondered whether that was because curcumin has an anti-oestrogenic effect.

The Chinese first measured the concentration of estradiol in healthy endometrium cells and then in ectopic endometrial cells (i.e. outside the womb). And indeed, the estradiol concentration was higher in the latter.

The Chinese then exposed endometrial epithelial cells to curcumin in test tubes. The concentration of curcumin they used varied from 10 to 50 nanomoles per millilitre.

The figure below shows that curcumin reduced the concentration of estradiol [chemical structure above] in the cells compared with cells not exposed to curcumin.

The anti-oestrogenic effect of curcumin increased the longer the exposure lasted – and of course the higher the concentration of curcumin used. According to the researchers the anti-oestrogenic effect of curcumin only starts to become interesting above a concentration of 30 nanomoles/ml.

If you take supplements designed to boost the bioavailability of curcumin, then the concentration of curcumin in your blood should probably come pretty close to that of 30 nanomoles/ml.

Reactions: mw1

NO_HYPE

Banned
Awards
I love curcumin.... but in terms of "lowering estrogen", I lost interest at "in-vitro"

NO_HYPE

Banned
Awards
If you take supplements designed to boost the bioavailability of curcumin, then the concentration of curcumin in your blood should probably come pretty close to that of 30 nanomoles/ml.

There is zero evidence for this.

GQNemesis

GQNemesis

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just copied & paisted the article from ergo log bro :)

NO_HYPE

Banned
Awards
Yep probably the last thing I would take it for but a great ingredient.
Indeed. It would be cool if someone figured out a low-cost delivery system for oral curcumin that could deliver appreciable amounts into circulation and into target tissue, but I'll keep taking it for overall GI health nonetheless.

xhrr

Awards
Indeed. It would be cool if someone figured out a low-cost delivery system for oral curcumin that could deliver appreciable amounts into circulation and into target tissue, but I'll keep taking it for overall GI health nonetheless.
What are your thoughts on Meriva?

NO_HYPE

Banned
Awards
What are your thoughts on Meriva?
Meh.... I'll stick with BCM-95 for the additional desmethoxy & bis desmethoxy content although, the most promising data I've seen relates to nanoparticulated curcumin.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Meh.... I'll stick with BCM-95 for the additional desmethoxy & bis desmethoxy content although, the most promising data I've seen relates to nanoparticulated curcumin.
Do you have IBD or any disease or supplement with curcumin for general health purposes?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Do you have IBD or any disease or supplement with curcumin for general health purposes?
If you have IBD you would want regular curcumin in order to limit systemic absorption.

If you have systemic disease, curcumin may be effective by dosing it continually for a long time in order to get adequate tissue retention. The bioavailability is limiting obviously

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you have IBD you would want regular curcumin in order to limit systemic absorption. If you have systemic disease, curcumin may be effective by dosing it continually for a long time in order to get adequate tissue retention. The bioavailability is limiting obviously
Yep, agree with that. Coop on my bb.com thread about UC i asked a question about nomillin, when you have a chance could you pm me an answer?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Yep, agree with that. Coop on my bb.com thread about UC i asked a question about nomillin, when you have a chance could you pm me an answer?
Man you gotta tell me the question lol, I can't dig up a thread that old

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Man you gotta tell me the question lol, I can't dig up a thread that old
Haha sorry, i have found nomillin incredibly effective for maintaining remission and have sourced 95% extract. What ball park dosage should i look at using?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Haha sorry, i have found nomillin incredibly effective for maintaining remission and have sourced 95% extract. What ball park dosage should i look at using?
I def can't answer that due to conflict of interest, but basically just look at the nomilin thread I made in the PES section. That should give you a pretty good idea. Secondly, careful with sourcing anything that isn't widely available...you never know what you may get (srs)

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I def can't answer that due to conflict of interest, but basically just look at the nomilin thread I made in the PES section. That should give you a pretty good idea. Secondly, careful with sourcing anything that isn't widely available...you never know what you may get (srs)
Thanks for the advice, i got a local lab that i get my berberine hcl from to order it from their supplier. They are pretty legit with testing their products.

They also got in that gda ingredient for me that we discussed in the past. The amount that is needed per means the stuff will last ages!

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm using nanoparticled curcumin right now. I have stuff that is about 40% 100 to 300 nm. Stains the tongue of course. IOW pretty close to theracurmin.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I like to take curcumin. but at a dose I start to see some benefits it gets too damn expensive.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How true is curcumin's positive effects on joints inflammation? That's what I'm really interested about.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
How true is curcumin's positive effects on joints inflammation? That's what I'm really interested about.
Probably the last thing I'd use for joints. It may work, but it's hardly worth the hassle when other things are available

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Probably the last thing I'd use for joints. It may work, but it's hardly worth the hassle when other things are available
Gotcha :D Striking that one off my list, plus the bio-available ones look expensive.

amarula

Awards
It's the only benefit you can get from curcumin taking the poor oral absorption?

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Curcumin has a lot of health benefits, and now another potential one! Good read.