Neuronal Nitric Oxide (nNOS)

urosinho10

Awards
Does anybody know wich supplements increase neuronal NOS(nNOS), I do know that l-arginine does it but what more supplements increase this specific form of NOS? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
No currently legal supplements are that specific for the NOS-1 (nNOS) enzyme only. Even experimental compounds have some affinity for NOS-2 (iNOS) and NOS-3 (eNOS) while having a larger affinity for NOS-1.

urosinho10

Awards
Ok, well that's not a problem then. My main goal is to increase nNOS, wether I also increase eNOS and iNOS does not matter, as long as it does not inhibit nNOS. For example, Agmatine is a NO booster and increases eNOS/cNOS while it inhibits nNOS and iNOS.

My question is, do you know what supplements boost nNOS, specifically or not, the main important thing is that it increases it and does not inhibit it.

Anyway, thanks for the help man.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I like citrulline for a lot of things. What are you hoping to do by driving up nNOS activity?

urosinho10

Awards
Well nNOS positively modulates sarcomere addition basically causing The muscle fibre to become longer and it has been shown that a longer muscle fibre contracts faster.

Other than arginine, citrulline and aakg what Other supplements do you know increase nNOS?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Is this based on anything more than the one article from 1999? What I can tell from reading it via my phone, the actual regulation is mechanical and you just need to provide substrate. I'd still suggest citrulline.

urosinho10

Awards
I know that, it's induced via passive overstretch but enhanced further through activation of The nNOS enzymer. Do you possible know any other good no substrates that I could combine with citrulline and enhance The effect even further?

I'd like to thank you for the help and that you've taken The time to help med, it's greatly appreciated.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Will reply more tonight when not traveling through the south with zero phone service, but I still prefer citrulline for what you're trying to do

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
OK, finally back on a computer and with proper net access. So basically, you need arginine to drive the reaction, but how you get arginine to the show is where the different supplements come into play. My suggestion is still citrulline for this purpose, but my two cents is that I'm not convinced that it will work the way you want it to. That isn't to say that it won't. I just usually need more than just one study to convince me. It's an interesting idea though! And if you have studies that this is based on, please share.

urosinho10

Awards
Well thanks for the help, I will try that out. I think you've already seen the study: jp.physoc.org/content/519/1/189.full.pdf

The other studies that I looked at where basically the ones in the references section.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It's definitely worth trying! I would try and see though if anybody has done more since then, including those authors. I'll look around as well this week when I get a chance.

urosinho10

Awards
Sounds great, let me know if you find anything. If you're interested, take a look at this thread wich explains what impact a longer muscle fiber can have on maximum shortening velocity, i.e. "explosiveness".

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 11
Supplements 19
no reason Supplements 13
no reason Supplements 0
Supplements 13