Intra workout carbohydrates?

Peakfreak

Awards
What are your thoughts on consuming intra workout carbohydrate supplements? I heard consuming carbohydrates during your workout can help with added energy increases and all but also it may have negative effects on testosterone levels, any thoughts or facts about this? Are Intra workout carbs recommended?

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some people use them and some don't. Personally I don't and if I was going to I would just grab some G2.

drewsicle3210

drewsicle3210

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Depends on how you like them. Try both ways and see which you like better

bakerwil

Banned
Awards
I always use them. My workout is no wear near the same level of performance and duration without them. I start sipping gatorade powder mixed triple strong - about starting about 1/3 into the workout. You can literally feel the strength and confidence increase a few minutes after investing it. Cheapest performing supp out there.
Mixing it with BCAA's brings up another level.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
ive been using glycomix with bulk leucine pre workout with nforce and have been having great workouts....

Wilsy7

Wilsy7

Awards
  • Established
I find my recovery MUCH better when using carbs and protein intra

gymratluke

gymratluke

Board Sponsor
Awards
Thats the ticket right there! BCAAs and a carbo/electrolyte formula=PERFECTION!!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Some people use them and some don't. Personally I don't and if I was going to I would just grab some G2.
This, most people would rather eat their carbs (depending on their goal and caloric allotment) John meadows is a big advocate of cyclin dextrin's. Either way if you fuel your body before or after your workout for maximum performance you will get that, it just depends on what you feel works best for you intra-workout carbs or not. I personally do not use them.

LivingStrongE

Awards
I usually just use iForce Compete and many times when I don't hit my carbs for the day I throw in a scoop of Virtago. I feel awesome while training consuming these products but if I have a really good day then I'll just wait after my training to get some food instead but everyone is different.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Intraworkout carbs are fairly useless if you had a preworkout meal

alphanik

alphanik

Awards
I've been downing a mixture of xtend,vitargo and creatine mono during workout and it works a treat for increasing energy nearing the end of workout and for recovery

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Intraworkout carbs are fairly useless if you had a preworkout meal
What duration would constitute a pwo meal? IE; 2:30 moderate protein, high carb meal, train at 5:30...

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
What duration would constitute a pwo meal? IE; 2:30 moderate protein, high carb meal, train at 5:30...
Size of meal has a big factor not saying times. someone could eat 100 calories but its not the same as 800-1000 etc.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use Karbolyn and BCAA only during my max effort sessions that last 3-4 hours.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Size of meal has a big factor not saying times. someone could eat 100 calories but its not the same as 800-1000 etc.
I know, should have specified.....is there a certain rate of digestion

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I don't care much at all for intra-workout carbs, and given the digestion of a pre-workout meal, they're not needed.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
But postworkout is crucial correct?
Nope, the data even indicates it may be sub-optimal. Protein is a "must" postworkout, followed by carbs at some point between postworkout and your next training session. Data even shows that waiting longer before ingesting carbs causes glycogen supercompensation, but that's minutia that's relevant only to marathon trainers.

Sounds fine to me. The bottom line is that anaerobic training (weights) will primarily dip into the phosphocreatine and glycolytic systems. As long as prior glycogen stores are sufficient, you should be fine

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
coop, what are your thoughts on intra workout bcaas? Basically the same as carbs?
Intraworkout BCAAs are fairly useless since their chief purpose is to spike plasma leucine levels. A comprehensive EAA product, on the other hand, may have comparable utility to protein, without the heavy stomach

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Intraworkout BCAAs are fairly useless since their chief purpose is to spike plasma leucine levels. A comprehensive EAA product, on the other hand, may have comparable utility to protein, without the heavy stomach
So something like CL purple wraath as opposed to a modern BCAA (or anything similar).

Using EAA for intra and then drinking the BCAA after training but before your meal?

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wait? Intra workout BCAA useless? Wow. I've always used bcaa intra especially when working out on a empty stomach.

From what u saying post workout is when you want bcaa?

This is new to me.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I see a lot of people eating pop tarts post workout. Anyone else practice this?

I'm curious to know because I always consume my protein post workout than about two hours later I have my post workout meal.

To those who do eat a pop tart post, do you drink a protein shake as well post?

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

I'm curious to know because I always consume my protein post workout than about two hours later I have my post workout meal.

There's no need, but insulin sensitivity is optimized post-workout so something with high glycemic carbs is better tolerated vs. other times of the day. I would go with a shake + solid meal later on, just for satiety's sake. :p

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There's no need, but insulin sensitivity is optimized post-workout so something with high glycemic carbs is better tolerated vs. other times of the day. I would go with a shake + solid meal later on, just for satiety's sake. :p
Lol I be scared to even go ahead and eat a pop tart post workout lol. Ik insulin sensitivity is optimized post workout but still lol.

I've always had my whey post workout with a meal two hours later.

But.....having a pop tart post workout might not be to bad especially for bulking.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Lol I be scared to even go ahead and eat a pop tart post workout lol. Ik insulin sensitivity is optimized post workout but still lol.

I've always had my whey post workout with a meal two hours later.

But.....having a pop tart post workout might not be to bad especially for bulking.
lol, I think you're slightly over thinking it. Before this turns into a "if it fits your macros" debacle of a thread, I'l just say that the type of carbohydrate, more-so post-workout, isn't as important as your total daily amount.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
So something like CL purple wraath as opposed to a modern BCAA (or anything similar).

Using EAA for intra and then drinking the BCAA after training but before your meal?
BCAA is best used immediately prior to training. My preworkout shake typically includes BCAA with 5g leucine.

Intraworkout - EAA

The Modern BCAA is perfectly fine intraworkout...the plus variety. It's an EAA mix. Alanine is particularly beneficial intraworkout

Insulin sensitivity will be optimized until optimal glycogen status is re-established, whether it be postworkout or the next day

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Insulin sensitivity will be optimized until optimal glycogen status is re-established, whether it be postworkout or the next day
Correct, I never said how long post-workout can be. :D

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When depleting I use 10g protein and 17g fructose. Not entirely sure on wheather this is the best method but I remember something coming up on how fructose will allow you to workout harder without filling up muscle glycogen allowing a better depletion workout.

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
When depleting I use 10g protein and 17g fructose. Not entirely sure on wheather this is the best method but I remember something coming up on how fructose will allow you to workout harder without filling up muscle glycogen allowing a better depletion workout.
That may work. Only the liver coverts fructose to glycogen. However, I prefer to use nothing when depleting.

aceroni

Awards

F..k poop tarts. So much processed garbage.

Personally I'd rather do some fruits or some karbolyn (I know, this is processed too, but it's a better alternative to poop tarts)

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
That may work. Only the liver coverts fructose to glycogen. However, I prefer to use nothing when depleting.
Agreed. Why use fructose at all if it won't even contribute to energy levels (for anaerobic training)?

JD261985

Banned
Awards
But isn't one hour after your workout the best time to eat your biggest meal, consume most nutrients, etc? That's what I've always read...so the golden hour is actually false?

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I use peptopro intraworkout with a scoop of Gatorade powder to help mask the flavor. A de ent combo that I enjoy, and feel works real well. Drink about half durring and slam the other half on my ride home. My preworkout contains two grams Leucine.

I am following a CBL diet as well. There's about 6-7 hours between my last meal and training, and about 20 hours between my last carb meal and training.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
But isn't one hour after your workout the best time to eat your biggest meal, consume most nutrients, etc? That's what I've always read...so the golden hour is actually false?
Indeed, the anabolic window is quite the myth

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Indeed, the anabolic window is quite the myth
So coop? What u think about taking a Gda post workout meal? Waste or not? Or even anytime post workout.

Do you think morning and pre workout meal to be the most effective?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Golden Rule?
Who made this golden rule?
Where is the scientific backing of this golden rule?
Post-workout protein synthesis is elevated for 24 hours, if you meet your caloric needs and micro/macro nutrient needs in a 24 hour period that is what matters most, not having 30 more calories post-workout or 100 more calories post-workout.

aceroni

Awards
Then why does John Meadows talk SO MUCH about periworkout nutrition?

Just to advertise for the sup companies?
For the record, he advises whole foods before and after training, but he does have a specific protocol for intra, calling for cyclic dextrin and casein hydrosolate intra.

I don't follow the intra protocol, but I do believe from personal experience (I'll admit i have no scientific data here :[ ) that when my pre and post nutrition got dialed on my gains were better.

No science here but it just makes sense to me to eat the most calories after you finish training. Especially if you train for a long duration of time..
When I get back from the gym I am ****ing STARVING

Coop, bob : are you two saying you don't eat after training?

mcc23

Awards
  • Established

For the record, he advises whole foods before and after training, but he does have a specific protocol for intra, calling for cyclic dextrin and casein hydrosolate intra.

I don't follow the intra protocol, but I do believe from personal experience (I'll admit i have no scientific data here :[ ) that when my pre and post nutrition got dialed on my gains were better.

No science here but it just makes sense to me to eat the most calories after you finish training. Especially if you train for a long duration of time..

It's t-nation :twak:. Always conveniently plugging one of their products. Not saying they're no good but yes the anaconda indigo ****.. Way too expensive and you can get comparable results w/ a disciplined diet and intense training and sufficient recovery.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
It's false information, and likely just propoganda to get you to buy some product... You're skeletal muscle cells will absorb the carbs/nutrients until they are saturated again. Whether it takes 1 hour, or 24.

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
I drink Compete and grape juice. I typically eat 2 - 2.5 hours pre-workout.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
It's t-nation :twak:. Always conveniently plugging one of their products. Not saying they're no good but yes the anaconda indigo ****.. Way too expensive and you can get comparable results w/ a disciplined diet and intense training and sufficient recovery.

In the end it's all a business so I don't want to start an argument on this front...I will say that I worked with John before his affiliation with T-Nation and his beliefs were the same regarding nutrition, now it's just a bit more specific regarding the source.

aceroni

Awards
Re read my post. I was talking about the FOOD, not the supplement protocol.

In the end it's all a business so I don't want to start an argument on this front...I will say that I worked with John before his affiliation with T-Nation and his beliefs were the same regarding nutrition, now it's just a bit more specific regarding the source.
When he talks in Web interviews, he doesn't mention the brands, just the fact that it's cyclic dextrin and casein hydro

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
Re read my post. I was talking about the FOOD, not the supplement protocol.

When he talks in Web interviews, he doesn't mention the brands, just the fact that it's cyclic dextrin and casein hydro
Yeah, anyone who follows this stuff knows what he's talking about and he does mention it/show it on some of his videos, but I think he really believes in what he says and doesn't want to be a total shill...so he breaks it down on some interviews as CH/CD. Anyway, I'm with you on this one as I've personally seen benefits both performance and body comp wise while adhering to his methods.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I'm not saying he's just a salesman. Dude clearly knows his stuff.. I just go there for the articles and knowledgeable (for the most part) forum discussion

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

I eat after i train, its not withing 15 minutes or slamming a protein shake after i finish my last set of bicep curls. if its 1 hour after i train i dont make a big deal of it. Food overlap from a pre-workout meal (if i have one) or intra-workout BCAA's with aminos still present in my system. People make the craziest stuff up and think you need a shake ASAP and a meal an hour later when in essence protein synthesis wont reach baseline or their refractory period before being spiked again as Layne shows in his research.

Meadows also advocated a pre-workout meal with Cream of rice, almond butter and whey and then tons of intra-workout carbs. Everyone skins the cat a different way.

It's false information, and likely just propoganda to get you to buy some product... You're skeletal muscle cells will absorb the carbs/nutrients until they are saturated again. Whether it takes 1 hour, or 24.

Boom

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
What are your thoughts on consuming intra workout carbohydrate supplements? I heard consuming carbohydrates during your workout can help with added energy increases and all but also it may have negative effects on testosterone levels, any thoughts or facts about this? Are Intra workout carbs recommended?
In my humble opinion, any energy carbs give you far outweigh any effects on testosterone it may or may not have

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
May no carbs pre then?

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It all boils down to what works out best for you. Trial and error. Myself I normally eat about an hour and a half pre workout then about thirty to forty minutes post workout with bcaa+saa intra/post training. This has been the best setup for MYSELF and I've experimented a lot. Whole foods during both meals and on occasion I throw in 25g protein shake post workout meal as well. I've used carbs intra workout and didn't notice anything but again I am getting some in with my pre workout meal.

In a fasted state i could see how intra carbs would be beneficial during training but if you eat a couple hours before your session I don't think it's necessary.

Trial and error my friend. Nobody can give you the right answer.