Intra workout carbohydrates? - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

Intra workout carbohydrates?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    But isn't one hour after your workout the best time to eat your biggest meal, consume most nutrients, etc? That's what I've always read...so the golden hour is actually false?
    It's false information, and likely just propoganda to get you to buy some product... You're skeletal muscle cells will absorb the carbs/nutrients until they are saturated again. Whether it takes 1 hour, or 24.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  225 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I drink Compete and grape juice. I typically eat 2 - 2.5 hours pre-workout.
  3. Advanced Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by mcc23 View Post

It's t-nation . Always conveniently plugging one of their products. Not saying they're no good but yes the anaconda indigo ****.. Way too expensive and you can get comparable results w/ a disciplined diet and intense training and sufficient recovery.

In the end it's all a business so I don't want to start an argument on this front...I will say that I worked with John before his affiliation with T-Nation and his beliefs were the same regarding nutrition, now it's just a bit more specific regarding the source.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

It's t-nation . Always conveniently plugging one of their products. Not saying they're no good but yes the anaconda indigo ****.. Way too expensive and you can get comparable results w/ a disciplined diet and intense training and sufficient recovery.
    Re read my post. I was talking about the FOOD, not the supplement protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by todd muelheim View Post

In the end it's all a business so I don't want to start an argument on this front...I will say that I worked with John before his affiliation with T-Nation and his beliefs were the same regarding nutrition, now it's just a bit more specific regarding the source.
    When he talks in Web interviews, he doesn't mention the brands, just the fact that it's cyclic dextrin and casein hydro
  5. Advanced Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post

Re read my post. I was talking about the FOOD, not the supplement protocol.

When he talks in Web interviews, he doesn't mention the brands, just the fact that it's cyclic dextrin and casein hydro
    Yeah, anyone who follows this stuff knows what he's talking about and he does mention it/show it on some of his videos, but I think he really believes in what he says and doesn't want to be a total shill...so he breaks it down on some interviews as CH/CD. Anyway, I'm with you on this one as I've personally seen benefits both performance and body comp wise while adhering to his methods.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

I'm not saying he's just a salesman. Dude clearly knows his stuff.. I just go there for the articles and knowledgeable (for the most part) forum discussion
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Then why does John Meadows talk SO MUCH about periworkout nutrition?

Just to advertise for the sup companies?
    For the record, he advises whole foods before and after training, but he does have a specific protocol for intra, calling for cyclic dextrin and casein hydrosolate intra.

I don't follow the intra protocol, but I do believe from personal experience (I'll admit i have no scientific data here :[ ) that when my pre and post nutrition got dialed on my gains were better.

No science here but it just makes sense to me to eat the most calories after you finish training. Especially if you train for a long duration of time..
    When I get back from the gym I am ****ing STARVING

Coop, bob : are you two saying you don't eat after training?
    I eat after i train, its not withing 15 minutes or slamming a protein shake after i finish my last set of bicep curls. if its 1 hour after i train i dont make a big deal of it. Food overlap from a pre-workout meal (if i have one) or intra-workout BCAA's with aminos still present in my system. People make the craziest stuff up and think you need a shake ASAP and a meal an hour later when in essence protein synthesis wont reach baseline or their refractory period before being spiked again as Layne shows in his research.

Meadows also advocated a pre-workout meal with Cream of rice, almond butter and whey and then tons of intra-workout carbs. Everyone skins the cat a different way.

It's false information, and likely just propoganda to get you to buy some product... You're skeletal muscle cells will absorb the carbs/nutrients until they are saturated again. Whether it takes 1 hour, or 24.

Boom
    Team Inov8 Elite Performance
  8. Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peakfreak View Post
    What are your thoughts on consuming intra workout carbohydrate supplements? I heard consuming carbohydrates during your workout can help with added energy increases and all but also it may have negative effects on testosterone levels, any thoughts or facts about this? Are Intra workout carbs recommended?
    In my humble opinion, any energy carbs give you far outweigh any effects on testosterone it may or may not have
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

May no carbs pre then?
    The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

It all boils down to what works out best for you. Trial and error. Myself I normally eat about an hour and a half pre workout then about thirty to forty minutes post workout with bcaa+saa intra/post training. This has been the best setup for MYSELF and I've experimented a lot. Whole foods during both meals and on occasion I throw in 25g protein shake post workout meal as well. I've used carbs intra workout and didn't notice anything but again I am getting some in with my pre workout meal.

In a fasted state i could see how intra carbs would be beneficial during training but if you eat a couple hours before your session I don't think it's necessary.

Trial and error my friend. Nobody can give you the right answer.

​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  11. Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    It all boils down to what works out best for you. Trial and error. Myself I normally eat about an hour and a half pre workout then about thirty to forty minutes post workout with bcaa+saa intra/post training. This has been the best setup for MYSELF and I've experimented a lot. Whole foods during both meals and on occasion I throw in 25g protein shake post workout meal as well. I've used carbs intra workout and didn't notice anything but again I am getting some in with my pre workout meal.

In a fasted state i could see how intra carbs would be beneficial during training but if you eat a couple hours before your session I don't think it's necessary.

This is some pretty good advice.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post

exactly, i could find you a study to prove and disprove everything, hell ive ever heard people talk about whey protein shakes being detrimental for your body comp goals.whey protein bashing and egg whites
  13. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.

Nothing is more confusing than bodybuilding. Why can't it just be eat, lift, sleep. All the scientific stuff bothers me sometimes. Seems to me the whole bodybuilding industry is a ****ing lie
  14. On my grind
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    Nothing is more confusing than bodybuilding. Why can't it just be eat, lift, sleep. All the scientific stuff bothers me sometimes. Seems to me the whole bodybuilding industry is a ****ing lie
    There are just to many variables that change from person to person or scenario to scenario. I know what you mean though, i just try to take everything with a grain of salt. As long as i hit my macros, get in the staples and hit the gym hard im happy.

Ive tried some crazy crap over the years or the next best thing all to be left empty handed.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by 3clipseGT View Post
    There are just to many variables that change from person to person or scenario to scenario. I know what you mean though, i just try to take everything with a grain of salt. As long as i hit my macros, get in the staples and hit the gym hard im happy.
    This, nothing is ever set in stone from one person to another
    That relates to diet
    Training
    Meal Frequency (Some prefer less meals some like more)
    Training techniques
    Different situations
    Different peak Weeks
    Forms of cardio they find more effective for THEM and retaining mass when dieting down
    Training volume from person to person.
    What rep ranges help each muscle part grow best
    Nothing is ever the same, everyone works different in multiple fashions.
    Team Inov8 Elite Performance
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

What I use is Compete with some G2 when I want some extra carbs during my workout. Usually only happens when I am training with one or two people and I know that I will be at the gym for a couple hours, but that is just me and what I do. I know some people dont find any value in having carbs during training, while others love it. All I can say is try it for a little bit, see what happens. Maybe you will like it, maybe you wont.
    iForce Nutrition Anabolics Minion Member
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate
    iForce Nutrition -www.iForceNutrition.com
  17. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

BCAA is best used immediately prior to training. My preworkout shake typically includes BCAA with 5g leucine.

Intraworkout - EAA

The Modern BCAA is perfectly fine intraworkout...the plus variety. It's an EAA mix. Alanine is particularly beneficial intraworkout

Insulin sensitivity will be optimized until optimal glycogen status is re-established, whether it be postworkout or the next day
    Alanine, why? I see that alanine is included in Chain'D Out, ALRI's BCAA formula.
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

I really like taking a intraworkout but only on days I don't take a pre. I feel nauseous sometimes. However with iForce's Compete, I have not noticed that and I have had really good recovery!
    Myokem Rep 15% Off @ Myokem.com use code dkgreene15
    NITRAMINE-Elite Preworkout Ignition System |PYROXAMINEHigh Performance Thermogenic Agent |MAGNITROPIN-High Performance Myotropic Agent |ALPHADEX-High Performance Hormone Modulator
  19. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"   lbs.

I have been using 1 serving AminoIV pre- and and 1 serv. intra with 25g Glycofuse pre- and 25g intra for a couple of months. When I don't take 25g Glycofuse pre-workout I seem to have more energy so I am from noe just using 25g intra.

When training and consuming carbs there is a minimal insulin secretion?
  20. Professional Member

I'm taking 180 grams of plain old maltodextrin during my training sessions. Works great.
    Olympus Labs Rep
    Olympus-labs.com - Products that will turn men into demigods!
    Life is nothing but big macs and hoes.
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by HITFrank View Post
    I have been using 1 serving AminoIV pre- and and 1 serv. intra with 25g Glycofuse pre- and 25g intra for a couple of months. When I don't take 25g Glycofuse pre-workout I seem to have more energy so I am from noe just using 25g intra.

When training and consuming carbs there is a minimal insulin secretion?
    You think taking them intra is having a negative effect?
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Peakfreak View Post
    What are your thoughts on consuming intra workout carbohydrate supplements? I heard consuming carbohydrates during your workout can help with added energy increases and all but also it may have negative effects on testosterone levels, any thoughts or facts about this? Are Intra workout carbs recommended?
    In a bulk - an all out bulk I use liquid carbs intra. For the insulin response, and the added calories. It seems to work well for strength and size for me.

I don't do food bc I don't want all my blood being used to digest it.
    Formutech Nutrition Rep --------------Team IronClad Physiques!!!
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------------ NPC Competitor
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition
  23. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"   lbs.

You think taking them intra is having a negative effect?
    No, I think intra carbs have a good effect for me. Can train harder and longer. When using them pre I sometimes doesn't feel up to it when starting to train, loss of energy.. It all can just be a coincidence..
  24. Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Alanine is particularly beneficial intraworkout
    Could you elaborate on this please? How much Alanine would you suggest. Unfortunately there are not too many bulk alanine sellers.
  25. PESCIENCE.com
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I also feel it is dependent on the intensity of your workout and training. I know we all think we are ultra intense, but keep in mind carbohydrate drinks like Gatorade were designed for people and tested on people under extreme athletic activity...like football training camps
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  26. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    I also feel it is dependent on the intensity of your workout and training. I know we all think we are ultra intense, but keep in mind carbohydrate drinks like Gatorade were designed for people and tested on people under extreme athletic activity...like football training camps
    Definitely. If anything its more useful for other purposes than increasing endurance during a workout. I love carbs intra because I only eat them peri workout.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  27. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

I may have to try intraWO carbs again, I did them for a while but felt I stay a bit leaner without them.
    Molecular Nutrition - Unlevel The Field
    X-Factor: THE Most Scientifically Valid Muscle Builder, Ever!
  28. Enhanced Body Formulations

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by SwolenONE View Post
    I may have to try intraWO carbs again, I did them for a while but felt I stay a bit leaner without them.
    Yes you do, unless you add the right stuff. DUh
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator

For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronuconn View Post
    Correct, I never said how long post-workout can be.
    So,how many carbs needed for optimal glycogen status re-established postworkouts?
  30. Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by cyan0419 View Post
    So,how many carbs needed for optimal glycogen status re-established postworkouts?
    Protein alone will do this.
    PES Representative
    http://www.pescience.com/insider
    http://www.selectprotein.com
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by cyan0419 View Post
    Too many variables (pre-workout meal if you had one, intensity of workout, plus all the individual-based things).

32. Elite Member

Too many variables (pre-workout meal if you had one, intensity of workout, plus all the individual-based things).
    This plays a huge role as well.
    PES Representative
    http://www.pescience.com/insider
    http://www.selectprotein.com
  33. Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rostam View Post
    Could you elaborate on this please? How much Alanine would you suggest. Unfortunately there are not too many bulk alanine sellers.

We are talking L-alanine. It's part of something called the "lactate-alanine" cycle which recycles waste products created by exercise and uses them for energy production
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  34. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by HITFrank View Post
    No, I think intra carbs have a good effect for me. Can train harder and longer. When using them pre I sometimes doesn't feel up to it when starting to train, loss of energy.. It all can just be a coincidence..
    They def seem to help me recover faster, You notice this? Im talking intra workout hbcd and peptopro or aminos I use peptopro
    ​Doing Haney shrugs! Eating bodybuilding waffles!
    In science you only find what your looking for....
    Ask me about my bodybuilding Jambalaya!
  35. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SwolenONE View Post
    I believe that I feel im gaining more fat since I started using them because of all the extra carbs and protein plus I think they eliminate any chance of burning fat during your workout
    ​Doing Haney shrugs! Eating bodybuilding waffles!
    In science you only find what your looking for....
    Ask me about my bodybuilding Jambalaya!
  36. Enhanced Body Formulations

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I use 25g carb per 12 working sets

Start set 4 finish carb drink before last 3-4 sets
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator

For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Intra Workout Drink
    By corsaking in forum Supplements
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-15-2008, 01:12 PM
  2. What Is Your Favorite Intra-workout Supplement Drink?
    By powerlinelift in forum Supplements
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-16-2008, 05:02 PM
  3. ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION-New Intra-Workout article in MD
    By Athletic Edge N in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 02:59 PM