Intra workout carbohydrates?

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

  1. Quote Originally Posted by aaronuconn View Post
    There's no need, but insulin sensitivity is optimized post-workout so something with high glycemic carbs is better tolerated vs. other times of the day. I would go with a shake + solid meal later on, just for satiety's sake.
    Lol I be scared to even go ahead and eat a pop tart post workout lol. Ik insulin sensitivity is optimized post workout but still lol.

    I've always had my whey post workout with a meal two hours later.

    But.....having a pop tart post workout might not be to bad especially for bulking.
    Black Lion Representative
    I'm a Brooklyn boy I may take some gettin' use to


  2. Quote Originally Posted by halfhuman View Post
    Lol I be scared to even go ahead and eat a pop tart post workout lol. Ik insulin sensitivity is optimized post workout but still lol.

    I've always had my whey post workout with a meal two hours later.

    But.....having a pop tart post workout might not be to bad especially for bulking.
    lol, I think you're slightly over thinking it. Before this turns into a "if it fits your macros" debacle of a thread, I'l just say that the type of carbohydrate, more-so post-workout, isn't as important as your total daily amount.
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    So something like CL purple wraath as opposed to a modern BCAA (or anything similar).


    Using EAA for intra and then drinking the BCAA after training but before your meal?
    BCAA is best used immediately prior to training. My preworkout shake typically includes BCAA with 5g leucine.

    Intraworkout - EAA

    Quote Originally Posted by halfhuman View Post
    I see a lot of people eating pop tarts post workout. Anyone else practice this?

    I'm curious to know because I always consume my protein post workout than about two hours later I have my post workout meal.

    To those who do eat a pop tart post, do you drink a protein shake as well post?
    The Modern BCAA is perfectly fine intraworkout...the plus variety. It's an EAA mix. Alanine is particularly beneficial intraworkout

    Quote Originally Posted by aaronuconn View Post
    There's no need, but insulin sensitivity is optimized post-workout so something with high glycemic carbs is better tolerated vs. other times of the day. I would go with a shake + solid meal later on, just for satiety's sake.
    Insulin sensitivity will be optimized until optimal glycogen status is re-established, whether it be postworkout or the next day

  4. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Insulin sensitivity will be optimized until optimal glycogen status is re-established, whether it be postworkout or the next day
    Correct, I never said how long post-workout can be.

  5. When depleting I use 10g protein and 17g fructose. Not entirely sure on wheather this is the best method but I remember something coming up on how fructose will allow you to workout harder without filling up muscle glycogen allowing a better depletion workout.
    The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by rochabp View Post
    When depleting I use 10g protein and 17g fructose. Not entirely sure on wheather this is the best method but I remember something coming up on how fructose will allow you to workout harder without filling up muscle glycogen allowing a better depletion workout.
    That may work. Only the liver coverts fructose to glycogen. However, I prefer to use nothing when depleting.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by halfhuman View Post
    I see a lot of people eating pop tarts post workout. Anyone else practice this?

    I'm curious to know because I always consume my protein post workout than about two hours later I have my post workout meal.

    To those who do eat a pop tart post, do you drink a protein shake as well post?
    F..k poop tarts. So much processed garbage.

    Personally I'd rather do some fruits or some karbolyn (I know, this is processed too, but it's a better alternative to poop tarts)

  8. Quote Originally Posted by supermanjow View Post
    That may work. Only the liver coverts fructose to glycogen. However, I prefer to use nothing when depleting.
    Agreed. Why use fructose at all if it won't even contribute to energy levels (for anaerobic training)?

  9. But isn't one hour after your workout the best time to eat your biggest meal, consume most nutrients, etc? That's what I've always read...so the golden hour is actually false?

  10. I use peptopro intraworkout with a scoop of Gatorade powder to help mask the flavor. A de ent combo that I enjoy, and feel works real well. Drink about half durring and slam the other half on my ride home. My preworkout contains two grams Leucine.

    I am following a CBL diet as well. There's about 6-7 hours between my last meal and training, and about 20 hours between my last carb meal and training.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    But isn't one hour after your workout the best time to eat your biggest meal, consume most nutrients, etc? That's what I've always read...so the golden hour is actually false?
    Indeed, the anabolic window is quite the myth

  12. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

    Indeed, the anabolic window is quite the myth
    So coop? What u think about taking a Gda post workout meal? Waste or not? Or even anytime post workout.

    Do you think morning and pre workout meal to be the most effective?
    Black Lion Representative
    I'm a Brooklyn boy I may take some gettin' use to
  13. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    The Solution's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    But isn't one hour after your workout the best time to eat your biggest meal, consume most nutrients, etc? That's what I've always read...so the golden hour is actually false?
    Golden Rule?
    Who made this golden rule?
    Where is the scientific backing of this golden rule?
    Post-workout protein synthesis is elevated for 24 hours, if you meet your caloric needs and micro/macro nutrient needs in a 24 hour period that is what matters most, not having 30 more calories post-workout or 100 more calories post-workout.
    Anabolic Minds Site Rep
    www.anabolicminds.com

  14. Then why does John Meadows talk SO MUCH about periworkout nutrition?

    Just to advertise for the sup companies?
    For the record, he advises whole foods before and after training, but he does have a specific protocol for intra, calling for cyclic dextrin and casein hydrosolate intra.

    I don't follow the intra protocol, but I do believe from personal experience (I'll admit i have no scientific data here :[ ) that when my pre and post nutrition got dialed on my gains were better.


    No science here but it just makes sense to me to eat the most calories after you finish training. Especially if you train for a long duration of time..
    When I get back from the gym I am ****ing STARVING


    Coop, bob : are you two saying you don't eat after training?

  15. Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post
    Then why does John Meadows talk SO MUCH about periworkout nutrition?

    Just to advertise for the sup companies?
    For the record, he advises whole foods before and after training, but he does have a specific protocol for intra, calling for cyclic dextrin and casein hydrosolate intra.

    I don't follow the intra protocol, but I do believe from personal experience (I'll admit i have no scientific data here :[ ) that when my pre and post nutrition got dialed on my gains were better.


    No science here but it just makes sense to me to eat the most calories after you finish training. Especially if you train for a long duration of time..
    When I get back from the gym I am ****ing STARVING


    Coop, bob : are you two saying you don't eat after training?
    It's t-nation . Always conveniently plugging one of their products. Not saying they're no good but yes the anaconda indigo ****.. Way too expensive and you can get comparable results w/ a disciplined diet and intense training and sufficient recovery.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    But isn't one hour after your workout the best time to eat your biggest meal, consume most nutrients, etc? That's what I've always read...so the golden hour is actually false?
    It's false information, and likely just propoganda to get you to buy some product... You're skeletal muscle cells will absorb the carbs/nutrients until they are saturated again. Whether it takes 1 hour, or 24.

  17. I drink Compete and grape juice. I typically eat 2 - 2.5 hours pre-workout.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by mcc23 View Post

    It's t-nation . Always conveniently plugging one of their products. Not saying they're no good but yes the anaconda indigo ****.. Way too expensive and you can get comparable results w/ a disciplined diet and intense training and sufficient recovery.

    In the end it's all a business so I don't want to start an argument on this front...I will say that I worked with John before his affiliation with T-Nation and his beliefs were the same regarding nutrition, now it's just a bit more specific regarding the source.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by mcc23 View Post

    It's t-nation . Always conveniently plugging one of their products. Not saying they're no good but yes the anaconda indigo ****.. Way too expensive and you can get comparable results w/ a disciplined diet and intense training and sufficient recovery.
    Re read my post. I was talking about the FOOD, not the supplement protocol.

    Quote Originally Posted by todd muelheim View Post

    In the end it's all a business so I don't want to start an argument on this front...I will say that I worked with John before his affiliation with T-Nation and his beliefs were the same regarding nutrition, now it's just a bit more specific regarding the source.
    When he talks in Web interviews, he doesn't mention the brands, just the fact that it's cyclic dextrin and casein hydro

  20. Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post

    Re read my post. I was talking about the FOOD, not the supplement protocol.

    When he talks in Web interviews, he doesn't mention the brands, just the fact that it's cyclic dextrin and casein hydro
    Yeah, anyone who follows this stuff knows what he's talking about and he does mention it/show it on some of his videos, but I think he really believes in what he says and doesn't want to be a total shill...so he breaks it down on some interviews as CH/CD. Anyway, I'm with you on this one as I've personally seen benefits both performance and body comp wise while adhering to his methods.

  21. I'm not saying he's just a salesman. Dude clearly knows his stuff.. I just go there for the articles and knowledgeable (for the most part) forum discussion
  22. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    The Solution's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post
    Then why does John Meadows talk SO MUCH about periworkout nutrition?

    Just to advertise for the sup companies?
    For the record, he advises whole foods before and after training, but he does have a specific protocol for intra, calling for cyclic dextrin and casein hydrosolate intra.

    I don't follow the intra protocol, but I do believe from personal experience (I'll admit i have no scientific data here :[ ) that when my pre and post nutrition got dialed on my gains were better.


    No science here but it just makes sense to me to eat the most calories after you finish training. Especially if you train for a long duration of time..
    When I get back from the gym I am ****ing STARVING


    Coop, bob : are you two saying you don't eat after training?
    I eat after i train, its not withing 15 minutes or slamming a protein shake after i finish my last set of bicep curls. if its 1 hour after i train i dont make a big deal of it. Food overlap from a pre-workout meal (if i have one) or intra-workout BCAA's with aminos still present in my system. People make the craziest stuff up and think you need a shake ASAP and a meal an hour later when in essence protein synthesis wont reach baseline or their refractory period before being spiked again as Layne shows in his research.

    Meadows also advocated a pre-workout meal with Cream of rice, almond butter and whey and then tons of intra-workout carbs. Everyone skins the cat a different way.

    Quote Originally Posted by mcc23 View Post
    It's false information, and likely just propoganda to get you to buy some product... You're skeletal muscle cells will absorb the carbs/nutrients until they are saturated again. Whether it takes 1 hour, or 24.

    Boom
    Anabolic Minds Site Rep
    www.anabolicminds.com

  23. Quote Originally Posted by Peakfreak View Post
    What are your thoughts on consuming intra workout carbohydrate supplements? I heard consuming carbohydrates during your workout can help with added energy increases and all but also it may have negative effects on testosterone levels, any thoughts or facts about this? Are Intra workout carbs recommended?
    In my humble opinion, any energy carbs give you far outweigh any effects on testosterone it may or may not have

  24. May no carbs pre then?
    The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.

  25. It all boils down to what works out best for you. Trial and error. Myself I normally eat about an hour and a half pre workout then about thirty to forty minutes post workout with bcaa+saa intra/post training. This has been the best setup for MYSELF and I've experimented a lot. Whole foods during both meals and on occasion I throw in 25g protein shake post workout meal as well. I've used carbs intra workout and didn't notice anything but again I am getting some in with my pre workout meal.

    In a fasted state i could see how intra carbs would be beneficial during training but if you eat a couple hours before your session I don't think it's necessary.

    Trial and error my friend. Nobody can give you the right answer.
    Use Code Montego15 for 15% off at milehighkratom.com
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Intra Workout Drink
    By corsaking in forum Supplements
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-15-2008, 02:12 PM
  2. What Is Your Favorite Intra-workout Supplement Drink?
    By powerlinelift in forum Supplements
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-16-2008, 06:02 PM
  3. ATHLETIC EDGE NUTRITION-New Intra-Workout article in MD
    By Athletic Edge N in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Log in
Log in