whey protein bashing and egg whites

sinkheadhxc

Awards
Whey protein has been getting bashed hard lately. Some opinions make sense scientifically and others state just plain out "you'll look better without it". There are also the retarded ones that bellow "you don't need it, ITS A SCAM".... ya no **** you don't need it but its easy if you're busy and it works. That hardly makes it a "scam". Then, there are the extreme opinions saying that its toxic or that an increase in protein synthesis and IGF-1 leads to an early grave (wtf?).

Honestly, for me, whey is great. I eat 3+ meals a day and then smash my protein intake with 4 scoops (2 post w/o with frozen fruit, 2 before bedtime stand alone). I haven't ever had issues personally and don't know if i could "look better" without it since I've used it forever. Its only common sense that "real" food is a better source, but is it that big of a deal?

I've heard a better alternative are liquid egg whites, which does make sense.... but how much better?. People claim to see more growth but less bloat (again... wtf?). They're still fairly cheap and easy to choke down too. I eat these anyways from time to time and if somehow it was proven to me that this is a much more beneficial source I wouldn't have a problem ditching whey.

Share your opinions on this. I'm half on the fence about ditching whey for the whites, and half don't really give a ****. Since this subject is everywhere right now I figured I'd get everyone else's take on the matter. My current opinion: *shrugs*

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use both of them together......i've gone from 2 scoops of whey....to 1 scoop whey, 3/4 a cup of liquid egg whites...i've been fairly happy with it soo far, i don't notice a change in taste from the regular whey except for the obvious lighter taste from having less flavored whey

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whey will make your weiner shrink.

sinkheadhxc

Awards
word, i've done similar.

Taste is never a factor. after going through (free) tubs of bb.com's whey and GAT Nitraflex raw eggs alone are a blessing.

bad tasting supplements put hair on ur taint.

sinkheadhxc

Awards
a side effect I have!

i thought it was just poor genetics. i'm giving all of my protein to the dude banging my g/f.

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
I eat eggs and drink whey everyday. iForce Protean Chocolate Truffle right now and I had 6 whole eggs for breakfast. I'm pretty sure protein is protein in the grand scheme of things. Where it is derived may have some significance, but from what I can tell isn't necessarily going to have an enormous impact on productivity. The only protein I want absolutely no part of is Soy. The rest of them have their place in the grand scheme of things.

LivingStrongE

Awards
I use Isotean for a while already and I've been using liquid eggs since the start of my cut and I haven't notice anything wrong except growth and my body leaning up pretty well. Everyone has different opinions but the only thing I will listen to is my body. I've been using Whey since I was 16 and I seen awesome results. Yes food is ten times better IMO then consuming liquids but sometimes its hard to consume foods at times so drinking a shake does the job and it will hold you down for a bit.

sinkheadhxc

Awards
I eat eggs and drink whey everyday. iForce Protean Chocolate Truffle right now and I had 6 whole eggs for breakfast. I'm pretty sure protein is protein in the grand scheme of things. Where it is derived may have some significance, but from what I can tell isn't necessarily going to have an enormous impact on productivity. The only protein I want absolutely no part of is Soy. The rest of them have their place in the grand scheme of things.
This is how I've always felt as well

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Whey protein has been getting bashed hard lately. Some opinions make sense scientifically and others state just plain out "you'll look better without it". There are also the retarded ones that bellow "you don't need it, ITS A SCAM".... ya no **** you don't need it but its easy if you're busy and it works. That hardly makes it a "scam". Then, there are the extreme opinions saying that its toxic or that an increase in protein synthesis and IGF-1 leads to an early grave (wtf?).

Honestly, for me, whey is great. I eat 3+ meals a day and then smash my protein intake with 4 scoops (2 post w/o with frozen fruit, 2 before bedtime stand alone). I haven't ever had issues personally and don't know if i could "look better" without it since I've used it forever. Its only common sense that "real" food is a better source, but is it that big of a deal?

I've heard a better alternative are liquid egg whites, which does make sense.... but how much better?. People claim to see more growth but less bloat (again... wtf?). They're still fairly cheap and easy to choke down too. I eat these anyways from time to time and if somehow it was proven to me that this is a much more beneficial source I wouldn't have a problem ditching whey.

Share your opinions on this. I'm half on the fence about ditching whey for the whites, and half don't really give a ****. Since this subject is everywhere right now I figured I'd get everyone else's take on the matter. My current opinion: *shrugs*
Bloat can come from artificial sweeteners and dairy products in general. In flavored whey there is artificial sweeteners but I have never personally really noticed any issues. Though I have been using whey regularly for years now and have on occasion used the carton egg whites.

sinkheadhxc

Awards
I use Isotean for a while already and I've been using liquid eggs since the start of my cut and I haven't notice anything wrong except growth and my body leaning up pretty well. Everyone has different opinions but the only thing I will listen to is my body. I've been using Whey since I was 16 and I seen awesome results. Yes food is ten times better IMO then consuming liquids but sometimes its hard to consume foods at times so drinking a shake does the job and it will hold you down for a bit.
You said it best: I should just listen to my body. Maybe i'll hit the whites for a while, if I like them better, ditch the protein or vice versa. Or, as mentioned above, hit a blend. I usually try to get 3 whole eggs a day to begin with.

sinkheadhxc

Awards
Bloat can come from artificial sweeteners and dairy products in general. In flavored whey there is artificial sweeteners but I have never personally really noticed any issues. Though I have been using whey regularly for years now and have on occasion used the carton egg whites.
Good point with the sweeteners and dairy. Though, as you said as well, I've never noticed any significant issues with bloat. whey is probably the only thing i consciously eat with sweeteners

sinkheadhxc

Awards
ironically theres this dude i work with (6'6" 270lbs lol) who was drinking a shake in the hallway (hes one of those ppl who are all prideful about lifting) and someone said "those things'll kill yeh" haha. his response was "u smoke cigarettes".

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Good point with the sweeteners and dairy. Though, as you said as well, I've never noticed any significant issues with bloat. whey is probably the only thing i consciously eat with sweeteners
Yea I think its only a select few who have issues with it but if you don't I wouldn't worry about it. Keep in mind that your body will take longer to process egg whites than it will to process whey. Your protein sources are digested at different rates with whey being one of the fastest. this is why most people vary there sources throughout the day, typically using a slower digesting source first thing in the AM and just before they go to bed at night.

sinkheadhxc

Awards
Yea I think its only a select few who have issues with it but if you don't I wouldn't worry about it. Keep in mind that your body will take longer to process egg whites than it will to process whey. Your protein sources are digested at different rates with whey being one of the fastest. this is why most people vary there sources throughout the day, typically using a slower digesting source first thing in the AM and just before they go to bed at night.
word. for me its 3 whole eggs and sausage AM, peanut butter and whey PM. I could cut out the whey before bed but i don;t see any reason to overall. but then again it might raise igf levels too much and i'll die early :saroll:

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
I eat around 4 eggs for breakfast in the morning and around 2 iForce Red Velvet Protean Shakes a day! I have grown greatly since I have and trimmed down at the same time. Other than that I havent really noticed any sort of problems or it not being effective.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
For me it all boils down to time. I have iForce Protean in my desk for when I have to go out into the field or go to a meeting without having a chance to get a meal in or if I know the meeting will take to long and I will be hungry. Also when I am in contest prep I do my best to stay away from whey in general just to keep the bloat down from sweeteners. Egg whites I like to use muscle egg when I do, but again not during contest prep from the sweeteners. I have been in many arguments with people at the gym over it, telling me that when I am sitting there eating my grub after a WO they just state the obvious "you know its easier to have a whey shake". Well no **** it is! But currently it isnt what I am doing.

For me, its what am I doing at the time or preparing for. Plus I really like to bake and make various other desserts with it.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
For me it all boils down to time. I have iForce Protean in my desk for when I have to go out into the field or go to a meeting without having a chance to get a meal in or if I know the meeting will take to long and I will be hungry. Also when I am in contest prep I do my best to stay away from whey in general just to keep the bloat down from sweeteners. Egg whites I like to use muscle egg when I do, but again not during contest prep from the sweeteners. I have been in many arguments with people at the gym over it, telling me that when I am sitting there eating my grub after a WO they just state the obvious "you know its easier to have a whey shake". Well no **** it is! But currently it isnt what I am doing.

For me, its what am I doing at the time or preparing for. Plus I really like to bake and make various other desserts with it.
Just curious but couldn't you just switch to unflavored whey isolate during contest prep??

sinkheadhxc

Awards
I eat around 4 eggs for breakfast in the morning and around 2 iForce Red Velvet Protean Shakes a day! I have grown greatly since I have and trimmed down at the same time. Other than that I havent really noticed any sort of problems or it not being effective.
Seems like everyone shares the same opinion overall. I don't get why this is a worry. I've seen so many posts asking if whey is "bad" on forums and articles in the past couple months, i wasn't sure if i missed some crazy new revelation or something lol. Hence, why i figured i'd get the opinion of the only forum that's ever on the right page.

I think the only "bad" thing one could say is "you don't NEED it", which is just obvious.

The best is "ya but these companies trick you into thinking you'll look like the goon in the ad". so what? are they going to put some skinny fat kid on the ads or phil heath? again, hardly a scam of any sort.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Seems like everyone shares the same opinion overall. I don't get why this is a worry. I've seen so many posts asking if whey is "bad" on forums and articles in the past couple months, i wasn't sure if i missed some crazy new revelation or something lol. Hence, why i figured i'd get the opinion of the only forum that's ever on the right page.

I think the only "bad" thing one could say is "you don't NEED it", which is just obvious.

The best is "ya but these companies trick you into thinking you'll look like the goon in the ad". so what? are they going to put some skinny fat kid on the ads or phil heath? again, hardly a scam of any sort.
It's only a scam if your paying more than $12 per pound IMO lol.

sinkheadhxc

Awards

totally understandable for prep. and yes whey is awesome for desserts and what not (pancakes r my fav).

but again, in general, you have no reason to think "whey is bad". i'm honestly just confused over the hype of the subject. i'm not surprised since this happens all the time, one person says eating dog turds is equivalent to shooting test prop and everyone gets confused lol. I just never expected whey to be questioned this late in the game.

wonder what dr. oz thinks :dunce:

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Just curious but couldn't you just switch to unflavored whey isolate during contest prep??
I suppose I could, but I was trying to avoid this part because I am sure I will get a lot of **** for it.

I personally feel that when I stick to whole food choices and limit my whey intake, I get leaner faster and seem to recover better. Like I said its how I feel, from trial and error. I have also only done 3 contests, and my 4th is this weekend. So for my next show I could try it and see what happens.

The other thing is I never feel full from shakes, and so with whole food and dieting for a contest I wont be as hungry.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
I suppose I could, but I was trying to avoid this part because I am sure I will get a lot of **** for it.

I personally feel that when I stick to whole food choices and limit my whey intake, I get leaner faster and seem to recover better. Like I said its how I feel, from trial and error. I have also only done 3 contests, and my 4th is this weekend. So for my next show I could try it and see what happens.

The other thing is I never feel full from shakes, and so with whole food and dieting for a contest I wont be as hungry.
Lol you won't catch any **** from me, I was just curious. I agree the shakes never satisfy my hunger either. I'm surprised you say you feel that you recover better without them though, I wonder if other people who do this feel the same way.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Lol you won't catch any **** from me, I was just curious. I agree the shakes never satisfy my hunger either. I'm surprised you say you feel that you recover better without them though, I wonder if other people who do this feel the same way.
Like I say its all in how I feel. Ever since I limited my whey intake 2 weeks ago I don't feel DOMS which is surprising. There can be a number of benefits but I do train with my coach so its not that I am not training to hard. I only say **** because I have received it before from people for telling me how I feel is wrong haha

GD67

GD67

Awards
I've been using protein supplements for over 20 years often taking in over half of my daily protein this way. I began around the time when Met-Rx was first introduced. So far, so good. At 46 I feel great and can work as hard and as long as I did when I was 25. I'm not so much into Whey and prefer Micellar Casein for the most part.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Kind of old school way of thinking; drinking a casein shake pre-bed won't starve off any night time catabolism; considering the body doesn't become overly catabolic for ~24hrs without food.

Also, artificial sweeteners get a bad rap for nothing; if you have no issues eating steak or fruit, then things like Aspartame won't affect you either.

itzmorph

Awards
I like to add two tablespoons of brewers yeast to my shakes and it feels like i have eaten a small meal. Plus the brewers yeast has a lot of good things for you.
Bill

Clemenza

Awards
  • Established
Too much whey begins to bloat me... Even isolate. I believe it spikes insulin just a bit too much and leaves me watery looking. Milk protein isolate and egg leave me much drier.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Stick to Oxyelite protein. The science shows that consuming a blend (whey + casein) is superior to pretty much any other protein source

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
I like to add two tablespoons of brewers yeast to my shakes and it feels like i have eaten a small meal. Plus the brewers yeast has a lot of good things for you.
Bill
NOTED! I will have to try this.

Has anyone else done this?

itzmorph

Awards
The science shows that consuming a blend (whey + casein) is superior to pretty much any other protein source
The good in depth studies that I have read confirm this. both whey and casein will hit the bloodstream in approximately an hour, but the whey hits with much more intensity but unfortunately drops off pretty quickly as well. While the casein isn't as intense when it hits, it's benefit is that it supplies a steady stream for much longer. You get the best of both worlds with the blend.
I use Iron-Tek which has several blends in one. Especially like the micellar casein.

Bill

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Kind of old school way of thinking; drinking a casein shake pre-bed won't starve off any night time catabolism; considering the body doesn't become overly catabolic for ~24hrs without food.

Also, artificial sweeteners get a bad rap for nothing; if you have no issues eating steak or fruit, then things like Aspartame won't affect you either.
It is an old way of thinking but a lot of people still do it that way. Truth be told, I have never noticed a difference in the time of day or type of protein I'm using whether it be way, casein, or a mix of both. As for artificial sweeteners they have never bothered me but I stay away from them as i don't want to be used to things being sweet. Also doesn't aspartame convert to a carcinogen if left in the heat for a period of time?

Edit: Just proved myself wrong lol http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430246/

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
It is an old way of thinking but a lot of people still do it that way. Truth be told, I have never noticed a difference in the time of day or type of protein I'm using whether it be way, casein, or a mix of both. As for artificial sweeteners they have never bothered me but I stay away from them as i don't want to be used to things being sweet. Also doesn't aspartame convert to a carcinogen if left in the heat for a period of time?

Edit: Just proved myself wrong lol http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430246/
Oh yeah absolutely and there is nothing wrong with doing things that way; its just not going to make much of a difference :D

I tend to avoid them to, mainly due to the taste, not so much anything else. The biggest argument against Aspartame is that it contains Methanol which converts to Formaldehyde and Formic acid in the body but an average can of Diet Coke contains less Methanol than most citrus fruits; yet people never seem to have intolerance issues with fruits, only aspartame.

I would love to see a similar review done on Aspartame like they did on MSG to assess for intolerance when people are not told they are ingesting Aspartame [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16999713]

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I drink two shakes per day... It works well for me and I really enjoy them. I always make sure to schedule my shakes post workout and before bed. Best timing for protein intake

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My current shakes of isotean consist of 1.5 scoops, 1/4 cup liquid egg, half cup cottage cheese, 2 tbsp peanut butter. Multiple different protein sources. I do that 2-3 times a day.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah absolutely and there is nothing wrong with doing things that way; its just not going to make much of a difference :D

I tend to avoid them to, mainly due to the taste, not so much anything else. The biggest argument against Aspartame is that it contains Methanol which converts to Formaldehyde and Formic acid in the body but an average can of Diet Coke contains less Methanol than most citrus fruits; yet people never seem to have intolerance issues with fruits, only aspartame.

I would love to see a similar review done on Aspartame like they did on MSG to assess for intolerance when people are not told they are ingesting Aspartame [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16999713]
I didn't know that citrus fruits had methanol in them... Lol learning something new everyday, thanks for the education :)

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I didn't know that citrus fruits had methanol in them... Lol learning something new everyday, thanks for the education :)
Its not enough to cause you harm, but they contain more than the average can of diet cola :D

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Hey bro,
Did you find some answers on this stuff for you? I'm interested to see how others view this. I def think whey is a good product and it shouldn't be getting bashed at all.