Sleeping troubles. Sleep aid supplement without nightmares?

DoubleM101

DoubleM101

Awards
  • Established
Hi,

Since a few months, i´m having a lot of sleeping troubles.

I don´t know if it´s related but suffer from general anxiety disorder and agoraphobia with panic attacks. However, sleeping was never affected by that.

It used to be the best part of the day, when i finally could rest my mind.

Now, i´m having trouble to fall asleep and wake a lot of times during the night (sometimes only 2 or 3h after) without falling asleep again for a while. As if not enough i have very vivid dreams and the most of them nighmares.

On the next day i wake tired with the feeling i haven´t rested. Even if i wake up for myself and not with the alarm. Theres some nights i only sleep 5 hours, wake up and can´t sleep more. Other nights, i fall asleep again after a while and sleep during the morning which messes even more with my sleep cycles.

I´m really confused because from what i know, the nightmares/vivid dreams occur during the REM sleep, but it seems i can´t get deep sleep like i should.

I don´t know if it´s important to say, but the way i fall asleep better is watching tv series and/movies on computer. I know it isn´t recommended but if i won´t watch anything i turn and turn on the bed and nothing..

I´d like to know your opinion and if theres any supplement i could try to improve my sleep. I´ve tried some in the past and almost of them induce me vivid dreams/nightmares and those i already have. On the beginning can be funny but not after a while. I woke up even more anxious.

So, do you know of any sleep aid supplement that could help me to have a deeper sleep and could eliminate the nightmares? I think this seems a non sense question but i really like to hear your opinion.

Thanks

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd talk to your doctor first off to ensure your underlying issue could be fixed without supplementation maybe. Several sleep products work. I used to take 5g of GABA before bed as it helped with anxiety and helped me rest. 2.5mg melatonin does the job also. I slept very well from HGHup.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Hi,

Since a few months, i´m having a lot of sleeping troubles.

I don´t know if it´s related but suffer from general anxiety disorder and agoraphobia with panic attacks. However, sleeping was never affected by that.

It used to be the best part of the day, when i finally could rest my mind.

Now, i´m having trouble to fall asleep and wake a lot of times during the night (sometimes only 2 or 3h after) without falling asleep again for a while. As if not enough i have very vivid dreams and the most of them nighmares.

On the next day i wake tired with the feeling i haven´t rested. Even if i wake up for myself and not with the alarm. Theres some nights i only sleep 5 hours, wake up and can´t sleep more. Other nights, i fall asleep again after a while and sleep during the morning which messes even more with my sleep cycles.

I´m really confused because from what i know, the nightmares/vivid dreams occur during the REM sleep, but it seems i can´t get deep sleep like i should.

I don´t know if it´s important to say, but the way i fall asleep better is watching tv series and/movies on computer. I know it isn´t recommended but if i won´t watch anything i turn and turn on the bed and nothing..

I´d like to know your opinion and if theres any supplement i could try to improve my sleep. I´ve tried some in the past and almost of them induce me vivid dreams/nightmares and those i already have. On the beginning can be funny but not after a while. I woke up even more anxious.

So, do you know of any sleep aid supplement that could help me to have a deeper sleep and could eliminate the nightmares? I think this seems a non sense question but i really like to hear your opinion.

Thanks
I don't know of any supplements to help with that but I know a few things you can try that have helped me to sleep a bit better (not 100% sure about the science behind these things but hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

1. Heavy lifting (strength training) in general seems to help tire me out to sleep better. (Strength training supposedly improves sleep quality in younger males).

2. Get some sunlight in the morning when you wake up and take hot showers at night before bed. (This helps your body produce more melatonin).

3. Avoid stimulants after noon time (hopefully this one is obvious)

4. Avoid watching TV, computer, phone etc. while trying to sleep. (The light from these screens can trick the brain into thinking it is day time).

Hopefully this was helpful to you.

braxbrah

Awards
ZMA is a staple of mine, wouldn't sleep without it ever now. Used to wake up tired, suffer from ****ty spells in the night where i'd wake up occasionally or fail to fall asleep. Since I got on ZMA then no such problems.

DoubleM101

DoubleM101

Awards
  • Established
I'd talk to your doctor first off to ensure your underlying issue could be fixed without supplementation maybe. Several sleep products work. I used to take 5g of GABA before bed as it helped with anxiety and helped me rest. 2.5mg melatonin does the job also. I slept very well from HGHup.
I have here a rest of GABA, i´ll try it tonight to see the effect. I remember i fall asleep better, but when i taken it i hadn´t all these problems.

DoubleM101

DoubleM101

Awards
  • Established
LiGHts Out = best sleep aid there is. Check it out:

only 3 left...get it while stock remains at NP!
I live in Portugal and unfortunately the shipping costs from Nutraplanet to here are a lot expensive..

Lholden1220

Lholden1220

Awards
Zma works like a charm for me. Take it right before bed. Its real cheap too!

DoubleM101

DoubleM101

Awards
  • Established
I don't know of any supplements to help with that but I know a few things you can try that have helped me to sleep a bit better (not 100% sure about the science behind these things but hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

1. Heavy lifting (strength training) in general seems to help tire me out to sleep better. (Strength training supposedly improves sleep quality in younger males).

2. Get some sunlight in the morning when you wake up and take hot showers at night before bed. (This helps your body produce more melatonin).

4. Avoid watching TV, computer, phone etc. while trying to sleep. (The light from these screens can trick the brain into thinking it is day time).

Thanks for the tips..

I lift almost all days of the week and i don´t take any stimulants because my anxiety.. For the rest of the tips, i´ll try them, thanks :)

DoubleM101

DoubleM101

Awards
  • Established
Concerning to ZMA i´ve tried on past and indeed it helps my sleep. The only thing i´m afraid are the nightmares. When i took it, it gave me very vivid dreams.. But now i´m having them too, so i think i won´t loose nothing on trying it. It´s a product to consider

domore

Awards

I think these should be the first tips to follow, especially the second one.

Once you have tried these different tips, you can look into a sleep aid product like Sleephoria (which we will be releasing in the near future), Lights Out, Poseidon NT, etc.

Ajerone

Banned
Awards
As a dedicated sleep supplement I like Poseidon Night time. Ergobolic sleep is some of the best I have ever had, though, for sure.

horizons

horizons

Awards
  • Established
Doxylamine (restivat) will work guaranteed but can be addictive. Get it over the counter

ZMA + melatonin is always good

The old endosurge is amazing for sleep (good balance of mucuna helps sleep)

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the tips..

I lift almost all days of the week and i don´t take any stimulants because my anxiety.. For the rest of the tips, i´ll try them, thanks :)
Don't mean to state the obvious, but have you tried improving your sleep hygiene and giving it at least a week or so to take effect. Your mind will be stimlated from the movies and light the TV produces. Go to bed the same time every night, at least an hour before use no electronic equipment and ensure your room is dark. Why don't you try reading some fiction before bed to relax instead of a movie. It make not work immediately, but surely your body will re-accustom itself to its natural sleep cycle after a certain period of time if given the chance.

domore

Awards
As a dedicated sleep supplement I like Poseidon Night time. Ergobolic sleep is some of the best I have ever had, though, for sure.
What's your favorite flavor for Poseidon NT?

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
I've never actually found a sleep supp that works, but some of these I haven't seen before. ZMA, melatonin, valerian and tryptophan have never done a damn thing for me but I also didn't look that deep into it at the time. I'll have to revisit some the newer supps out there for the nights when I trouble sleeping and don't have any booze to put me down.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd recommend REM8.0 and some therapy to help with the underlying issues. Good luck man!

cjszip

cjszip

Awards
I hear Cognitive Behavior Therapy is a good supplement. Consider discussing your anxiety disorder with a good clinical psychologist.

TruthWalker

TruthWalker

Awards
  • Established
Phenibut!! Works great for anxiety/stress-relief during the day and helps you sleep better at night. I highly recommend it.

cjszip

cjszip

Awards
Phenibut has some (understatement) potential for addiction and abuse. ESPECIALLY for an individual who suffers with generalized anxiety disorder and agoraphobia with panic attacks...

TheWalkingDan

Awards
I tried GABA and it gives me really, really weird and disturbing dreams. So much so, that I stopped taking it. I've tried ZMA and that didn't seem to work that well for me either. Melatonin does the trick for me. I don't take it every night, but when I do, it starts making me sleepy after about 20-30 minutes.

I don't know if you are taking anything phamaceutical for your anxiety, but seeing a doctor might not be a bad idea if you haven't already.

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
Doxylamine (restivat) will work guaranteed but can be addictive. Get it over the counter

ZMA + melatonin is always good

The old endosurge is amazing for sleep (good balance of mucuna helps sleep)
Restivat??? Where is this found as an OTC drug? I've never heard of it,

Usually sufferers of anxiety and adhd have a high tolerance to melatonin and zma due to malabsorption. But, herbs like skullcap and valerian root's toxicity isn't compromised in the gut during digestion so these tend to be more effective.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
another vote for lights out. awesome sleep, and crazy awesome dreams

horizons

horizons

Awards
  • Established
Restivat??? Where is this found as an OTC drug? I've never heard of it,

Usually sufferers of anxiety and adhd have a high tolerance to melatonin and zma due to malabsorption. But, herbs like skullcap and valerian root's toxicity isn't compromised in the gut during digestion so these tend to be more effective.
I'm in Australia so maybe you can't get it overseas? Just go into your chemist and ask for restivat. Half a pill will guarantee give you 10-12 hours of sleep and kick your sleeping patterns into check

Skullcap is really good! Valerian is ineffective in males

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
REM 8.0 works great for me! I love it.

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards

All this is 100% right... I have same, if not worse sleeping problem than op... TV used to help me also... Sleeping tabs & supps work short term, but don't fix the issue... Over the counter tabs are antihistamines & almost completely lose their effectiveness very quickly... The main thing that helped me is tiring myself out completely by the end of the day... Eg, wake at 4am & I will 95% of the time be able to pass out by 9-10pm...

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
I'm in Australia so maybe you can't get it overseas? Just go into your chemist and ask for restivat. Half a pill will guarantee give you 10-12 hours of sleep and kick your sleeping patterns into check

Skullcap is really good! Valerian is ineffective in males
Restavit loses its effectiveness within days with anxiety sufferer's... I know from experience... Valerian Root can help in combination with melatonin...

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have tried a lot of sleep aids over the years and I would say about 90% of them give me nightmares. I dont normally dream when I sleep but when I do its always a bad ride lol. On that note since I started taking G8 I havent had a single lucid dream or night terror yet. I normally only take half the recommend dose wich is 1/2 a scoop and sleep like a rock all night. It doesnt knock me out but it does relax me quite a bit and helps me stay asleep all night wich is very useful since I also have sleep apnea. Also since half a scoop is most peoples sweet spot you get 2x the product :)

UncleWade

UncleWade

Awards
  • Established
2 caps lights out + 2 scoops poseidon nt = my favorite sleep combo
This, IMHO, seems like it couldn't be beat by anything else - I'd love it if iForce came out with a formula similar to Poseidon NT. It's been hard to source recently.

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
This, IMHO, seems like it couldn't be beat by anything else - I'd love it if iForce came out with a formula similar to Poseidon NT. It's been hard to source recently.
I liked it when I used it.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lights Out + 1 intimidate knocks me out really good. I am actually looking forward to pct when I can use intimidate again! Valarian Root is a very cheap addition I like to add in when I need it as well!

Mike

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
Besides seeking counseling from a licensed therapist for the nightmares, and if your doctor will not provide you a script for Ambien, then I highly recommend FinaFlex G8 sleep aid supplement to stay asleep and diphenhydramine to fall asleep. I started taking both recently ever since my insomnia flared up again and sleep like a focking champ whenever I do so!

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
...! Valerian is ineffective in males
Never heard if Valerian being ineffective in males....might wanna double check that. Are you speaking from your own experience oerhaps?

UncleWade

UncleWade

Awards
  • Established
I just had another great night with LiGHts Out - I've gotten some much needed, restorative sleep thanks to this product. It's becoming one of my favorites in our line.

roblasane

roblasane

Awards
I like the nightmares !! I have to try lights out by iforce but Man - RemPM is real good and I've been using Ronnie Coleman's resurect -PM that stuff is legit . It tastes like cough syrup but it doesn't bother me at all.

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established
I posted this in another thread:

Valerian Root, l-theanine, chamomile, passion flower, hops extract, even small doses of Benadryl. I would recommend melatonin but, people have a hard time properly cycling it. If to use it, say every other day or two weeks on melatonin and then two weeks off. Melatonin is a naturally produced hormone through the pineal gland and continued use will lead to delayed natural production, not good!

Not sure if any of the above will react in a negative way with you and bring on nightmares as everyone is different. I can tell you no problems here any time I use any of the sleep aids that I mentioned above.

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
For those who enjoy Lights Out....
What are the main ingredient in the proprietary blend?

Profion

Awards
Bulletproof from musclepharm was actually great! i had some good nights and the falling a sleep part was like a dream, would get lazy, tired, and then suddenly passed out. Next day i would be fresh n recovered, it has some bcaa in it too to help recovery.. and some GH boosting stuff, so that u get that edge too

sometimes these big brands MP - BSN actually make something worth taking.. this for me was a good one

uubiduu

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
if i consider that lights out only consists of two cheap, widely available ingredients i find the product too expensive for me though i dont doubt that its effective

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
I use now zma and now 5htp @5mg. I've found their brand to cost the least. More that 5mg 5htp gives me weird dreams and hard to wake up. If I need more sleep aid, I take some ketotifen or benadryl about 90 minutes before bed. Otherwise if later, I'm a zombie in the morning.
I tried Valerian but it had stim effects for me. I read some research after that that shows it can have this effect on some of the test subjects.
Alcohol is a poor choice because the body is busy breaking it down. You never reach the deepest sleep and when the alcohol is finished breaking down, blood sugar drops fast. After this, the body sends a spike of adrenaline which causes people to wake up or move up to the lightest level of sleep.