Best blood pressure supplements?

ThatMonkey

Awards
Title sums it up. Which supps are best to keep blood pressure in check? And does anyone know if formestane will raise blood pressure?

rhgunner

Awards
[h=3]1) Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)[/h]There is some evidence that the supplement CoQ10 may help to reduce high blood pressure. A 12 week double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of 83 people with systolic hypertension examined the effect of CoQ10 supplements (60 mg twice daily). After the 12 weeks, there was a mean reduction in systolic blood pressure of 17.8 mm Hg in the Coq10-treated group.

Another study conducted at the University of Western Australia looked at the effect of CoQ10 on blood pressure and glycemic control in 74 people with type 2 diabetes. Participants were randomly assigned to receive either 100mg CoQ10 twice daily, 200mg of the drug fenfibrate, both, or neither for 12 weeks.
CoQ10 significantly reduced systolic and diastolic blood pressure(mean reduction 6.1 mm Hg and 2.9 mm Hg respectively). There was also a reduction in HbA1C, a marker for long-term glycemic control.
[h=3]2) Garlic[/h]In a meta-analysis of seven randomized controlled trials of garlic supplements, three trials showed a significant reduction in systolic blood pressure and four in diastolic blood pressure. Researchers concluded that garlic powder supplement may be of clinical use in patients with mild high blood pressure.
Garlic supplements should only be used under the supervision of a qualified health practitioner. Garlic can thin the blood (reduce the ability of blood to clot) similar to aspirin. Garlic may interact with many drugs and supplements such as the prescription drugs such as Coumadin (warfarin) or Trental (pentoxifylline), aspirin, vitamin E, gingko. It is usually recommended that people taking garlic stop in the weeks before and after any type of surgery.
[h=3]3) Hawthorn[/h]The herb hawthorn is often used by traditional herbal practitioners for high blood pressure.
In a randomized controlled trial conducted by researchers in Reading, UK, 79 patients with type 2 diabetes were randomized to receive either 1200 mg of hawthorn extract a day or placebo for 16 weeks. Medication for high blood pressure was used by 71 percent of the patients.
At the end of the 16 weeks, patients taking the hawthorn supplement had a significant reduction in mean diastolic blood pressure (2.6 mm Hg). No herb-drug interactions were reported.
[h=3]4) Fish oil[/h]Preliminary studies suggest that fish oil may have a modest effect on high blood pressure. Although fish oil supplements often contain both DHA (docohexaenoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid), there is some evidence that DHA is the ingredient that lowers high blood pressure.
[h=3]5) Folic acid[/h]Folate is a B vitamin necessary for formation of red blood cells. It may help to lower high blood pressure in some people, possibly by reducing elevated homocysteine levels.
One small study of 24 cigarette smokers found that four weeks of folic acid supplementation significantly lowered blood pressure.
More natural treatments for high blood pressure on the next page...

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1) Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)

There is some evidence that the supplement CoQ10 may help to reduce high blood pressure. A 12 week double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of 83 people with systolic hypertension examined the effect of CoQ10 supplements (60 mg twice daily). After the 12 weeks, there was a mean reduction in systolic blood pressure of 17.8 mm Hg in the Coq10-treated group.

Another study conducted at the University of Western Australia looked at the effect of CoQ10 on blood pressure and glycemic control in 74 people with type 2 diabetes. Participants were randomly assigned to receive either 100mg CoQ10 twice daily, 200mg of the drug fenfibrate, both, or neither for 12 weeks.
CoQ10 significantly reduced systolic and diastolic blood pressure(mean reduction 6.1 mm Hg and 2.9 mm Hg respectively). There was also a reduction in HbA1C, a marker for long-term glycemic control.
2) Garlic

In a meta-analysis of seven randomized controlled trials of garlic supplements, three trials showed a significant reduction in systolic blood pressure and four in diastolic blood pressure. Researchers concluded that garlic powder supplement may be of clinical use in patients with mild high blood pressure.
Garlic supplements should only be used under the supervision of a qualified health practitioner. Garlic can thin the blood (reduce the ability of blood to clot) similar to aspirin. Garlic may interact with many drugs and supplements such as the prescription drugs such as Coumadin (warfarin) or Trental (pentoxifylline), aspirin, vitamin E, gingko. It is usually recommended that people taking garlic stop in the weeks before and after any type of surgery.
3) Hawthorn

The herb hawthorn is often used by traditional herbal practitioners for high blood pressure.
In a randomized controlled trial conducted by researchers in Reading, UK, 79 patients with type 2 diabetes were randomized to receive either 1200 mg of hawthorn extract a day or placebo for 16 weeks. Medication for high blood pressure was used by 71 percent of the patients.
At the end of the 16 weeks, patients taking the hawthorn supplement had a significant reduction in mean diastolic blood pressure (2.6 mm Hg). No herb-drug interactions were reported.
4) Fish oil

Preliminary studies suggest that fish oil may have a modest effect on high blood pressure. Although fish oil supplements often contain both DHA (docohexaenoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid), there is some evidence that DHA is the ingredient that lowers high blood pressure.
5) Folic acid

Folate is a B vitamin necessary for formation of red blood cells. It may help to lower high blood pressure in some people, possibly by reducing elevated homocysteine levels.
One small study of 24 cigarette smokers found that four weeks of folic acid supplementation significantly lowered blood pressure.
More natural treatments for high blood pressure on the next page...
nice post even if it was copy and paste lol

another supplement to think about (especially during the cutting season) is Forskolin-95

ThatMonkey

Awards
Thanks guys I appreciate it I'm gonna go pick up a few to try on payday. Does anyone know whether the formestane raises Bp?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
are you using this as pct? formestane can keep your test levels suppressed (4-hydroxytestosterone), thats why many people do not use it in pct

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
as far as blood pressure, ive seen it being raised with formestane.

ThatMonkey

Awards
No using at stand alone to assist maintaining muscle while cutting fat. I'm using formeron transdermal at 300 mg a day.

zv3

zv3

Awards
AI Cycle support helped me with BP. Your supposed to use it during and after a cycle of PH's, but I've heard that the profile is so effective that guys use it even off-cycle. For me it's good stuff, but it's the V8 juice of supplements, taste like celery and cayenne pepper!

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established
You can add grapeseed extract to that list

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sadly, we recently discontinued BP Stabil which was a staple of many competitive BBers we are close with.

Due to the severity of the issue of hypertension, if your BP problems are really becoming a problem, dont be afraid to speak with your doc rather than seek out a plethora of herbal remedies.

ThatMonkey

Awards
Thanks guys! It's more of a preventative measure rather than treating a current issue. Just wanna be sure as this is my first run with anything hormonal so I wanna keep my bases covered. I started it Sunday and I've already been able to notice things out of the normal. I seem to have a little bit more anxiety or a little more of an edge than normal. So I think Ill add In Some sort of Bp support this weekend.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks guys! It's more of a preventative measure rather than treating a current issue. Just wanna be sure as this is my first run with anything hormonal so I wanna keep my bases covered. I started it Sunday and I've already been able to notice things out of the normal. I seem to have a little bit more anxiety or a little more of an edge than normal. So I think Ill add In Some sort of Bp support this weekend.
Without actually measuring your BP, how do you know it's high? I'd suggest using Walmart if you don't have one at home. Better checked than guessed.

ThatMonkey

Awards
It's not high it was at 124/76 today. I actually do use Walmart haha great advice! I just want something to keep it from getting high. Where I'm at now is not bad but the day I started this run I was at 104/75 so I just wanna make sure it doesn't get too much higher. Not really worried though as I'm still in the ok zone.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Odd that this hasn't been mentioned yet, considering it is clinically used to reduce afterload: nitrates!

JD261985

Banned
Awards
It's not high it was at 124/76 today. I actually do use Walmart haha great advice! I just want something to keep it from getting high. Where I'm at now is not bad but the day I started this run I was at 104/75 so I just wanna make sure it doesn't get too much higher. Not really worried though as I'm still in the ok zone.
Bro you're perfect no worries

TheFugitive

TheFugitive

Awards
Look into Gamma-O, also checkout the current log

Gamma oryzanol is a mixture of ferulic acid esters of sterols and triterpene alcohols, extracted from rice bran oil. Gama Oryzanol stimulates the release of endorphins the body’s so-called “feel good” hormones. These hormones stimulate the pleasure centers of the brain, and this stimulation results in an elevation of mood. While not as effective as some prescription pharmaceuticals used to treat depression, gamma oryzanol can significantly improve mood. Gamma Oryzanol has been proven to have very strong antioxidant activity and one study showed that it was up to ten times stronger than vitamin E for scavenging free radicals and preventing tissue damage that results from oxidative stress. High LDL levels or high levels of low lipoproteins “bad cholesterol“ is one contributing factor to hypertension or high blood pressure. Gamma Oryzanol has been used as a treatment for high cholesterol levels, and science shows that it may work at reducing blood pressure by increasing HDL high lipoprotein – the so-called “good” cholesterol levels. Gamma oryzanol may boost strength, increase muscle gain, reduce body fat, speed recovery and reduce post-exercise soreness. Gamma oryzanol also has been proven effective to treat symptoms of menopause such as hot flashes and aging syndromes.

Stabilized rice bran is a super food. It can help control or lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels making it very good fighting coronary heart disease and diabetes. It is high in antioxidants, fighting oxidative stress to the human body. High in proteins, minerals and antioxidants adding stabilized rice bran to your diet will allow your body to fight off the effects of free radical damage bring better quality of health to you and perhaps allow you to live longer and healthier.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Odd that this hasn't been mentioned yet, considering it is clinically used to reduce afterload: nitrates!
But what if we want to reduce preload ;)

I stick with my coreg for bp, love that stuff, physician managed though!

Mike

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Lecithin is also supposed to be pretty good for lowering blood pressure.

AnabolicHolic

AnabolicHolic

Banned
Awards
But what if we want to reduce preload ;)

I stick with my coreg for bp, love that stuff, physician managed though!

Mike
coreg doesn't seem to do jack squat for my BP....it does reduce my heart rate nicely though. I need something like lisinopril to really bring my BP to where it needs to be while on certain supps and anabolic aids. I add in hawthorn extract if something REALLY jacks up my BP. Nice double whammy.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
coreg doesn't seem to do jack squat for my BP....it does reduce my heart rate nicely though. I need something like lisinopril to really bring my BP to where it needs to be while on certain supps and anabolic aids. I add in hawthorn extract if something REALLY jacks up my BP. Nice double whammy.
I use an ace to.. to prevent left ventricular growth. :)

jaakonpallo

Awards
Also what u mean critical by reduce pre load and what nitrates are u refearing to mr.cooper?....

AnabolicHolic

AnabolicHolic

Banned
Awards
I use an ace to.. to prevent left ventricular growth. :)
My lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor....but yes, apparently I am susceptible to ventricular growth with my supplement and anabolic habits (and genetics I suppose!). That was my major problem, but its fine now with proper medication like the carvedilol and lisinopril. I've never used a calcium channel blocker though, and I hear many guys use that as well.

jaakonpallo

Awards
Well since this is a supplement section what do u guys think about bonito fish peptides as anatural ace inhibitor?

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
Nitrates are not a good monotherapy for HTN because of reflex tachy. They're usually combined with a beta blocker in resistant HTN.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Title sums it up. Which supps are best to keep blood pressure in check? And does anyone know if formestane will raise blood pressure?
To keep BP in check:

-Lower Sat Fat Diet
-High Omega-3 intake (EPA/DHA, shoot for 3-5g)
-CoQ10
-Hawthorne Berry extract
-Celery seed extract
-Proper hydration
-Lower Sodium and higher potassium-magnesium intake
-Nitrates

And I don't reckon Formestane will do much in the bp department unless you really REALLY megadose it...and even then meh...