intra workout supplements

VinceNC

Awards
I need help finding a intra workout drink. I am using muscle Feast anabolic competition. I like it and it gives me great energy for my workout, but it keeps me in the bathroom for hours after. If anyone knows of a intra the works and is not full of sugar that may be easier on the stomach I would be grateful if you would share some info.

BigEdNJ

Awards
You have to try Compete by iForce Nutrition....unbeatable intra product

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
iForce Compete
Modern BCAA

My two favorites.

testosteronet

testosteronet

Awards
  • Established
I like Omega Sports Strive, but don't know if it'll ever get released again, they keep pushing it back

Mack411

Mack411

Awards
I will say I have never been big on the intra theory,but just finished a compete run and it changed my mind,great intra.I wrote a review on it if ya want to check it out!

UncleWade

UncleWade

Awards
  • Established
You have to try Compete by iForce Nutrition....unbeatable intra product
iForce Compete
Modern BCAA

My two favorites.
I will say I have never been big on the intra theory,but just finished a compete run and it changed my mind,great intra.I wrote a review on it if ya want to check it out!
Thanks for mentioning Compete, guys. It's a great formula with carnitine salts, focus and hydration ingredients, and some really potent stuff for recovery.

It's a bit different approach to the intra-workout category, but give it a shot and we'll think you'll agree - it's an intra-workout done right. We used whey hydrolysate for a reason - a full spectrum of aminos (rather than just the 3 BCAAs) are shown to have an immediate effect on intramuscular amino acid concentration and a heightened effect on MPS as compared to just BCAAs alone, which are limited to a post workout recovery role according to quite a bit of working circulating in academia out there. Throw in a smaller dose of citrulline malate that meshes well with the Hemavol formula and you've got something that's really coming together..

Additionally, on a per-serving basis, it's between 30-50% cheaper per serving than competing products. It's something that I'm sure to include in my compensation every month, and my favorite product that we make. Tangy Tangerine and Fruit Punch will knock your socks off.

Russianog

Russianog

Awards
I'm using Scivation Xtend right now

SPLocal

Awards
I'll drop another plug for Compete; effective, mixes well, tastes great (particularly Tangerine), and with an excellent profile.
At the very least, try to obtain some samples, it is well worth it.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When it returns Strive is the top of the line when it comes to this category.

I do also like Intrabolic, but currently have used Compete quite often when in the need of a product of this type.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
purple wraath is a strong second...

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
BCAAs intra workout are more than pointless...even pure Leucine intra workout is needless.

Compete on the other hand...yes please.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
BCAAs intra workout are more than pointless...
oh boy
you been reading too much from one source again, i see :p
yes, bcaa pre more optimal..does not make intra bcaa supplementation "more than pointless" as you espouse here tho

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
oh boy
you been reading too much from one source again, i see :p
yes, bcaa pre more optimal..does not make intra bcaa supplementation "more than pointless" as you espouse here tho
Pre they are magnificent, Leucine in a good high dose some 1-2 hours pre-workout is good. Main reason I like Compete is for the electrolyte complex and the carnitine complex too...

I see it somehow pointless in the way that they will be burned for energy, and AFAIK I want my glycogen and triglyceride chains to be used for fuel optimally instead of amino acids from the amino acid pool...

Pre workout, during fasting periods, in lower-ish protein content (late stage cuts) and pre-meal (high leucine) well yeah...I see them as optimal and good IMO. Why do you think I have BCAAs in my cupboard? I do use them brother ;)!

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Main reason I like Compete is for the electrolyte complex
no question, very underestimated and beneficial stuff intrWO
and the carnitine complex too...
altho i like carnitine, i can throw "opinions" at you as well, as you espouse of bcaa/function within training
there is a whole side of the coin, that opines carnitine is overrated & worthless - at ANY time
science has not definitively proven that carnitine is valuable - or even understands how it works for that matter

but i won't hit you with that comeback -
i simply bring this up to point out, you are getting into "opinion" here, not backed by any science

caution

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
no question, very underestimated and beneficial stuff intrWO

altho i like carnitine, i can throw "opinions" at you as well, as you espouse of bcaa/function within training
there is a whole side of the coin, that opines carnitine is overrated & worthless - at ANY time

but i won't hit you with that comeback -
i simply bring this up to point out, you are getting into "opinion" here, not backed by any science

caution
Will remember to make it more objective next time bro...

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
There is literally not a single study on "intraworkout" supplementation (period)/BCAA use, and for good reason. Taking anything p.o. while exercising will result in a drop in absorption/delivery.

Conversely, every study of leucine/BCAAs showing positive effects of supplementation involved taking them preworkout for performance enhancement (gluconeo/ketogenesis) or taking them pre/post workout (for a threshold level of plasma concentrations of leucine to be reached (scaled HED: 0.045-0.065g/kg BW Leu)). Taking BCAAs during exercise/over the course of a workout inhibits both such effects.

Epinephrine acts as a block on insulin release during exercise, and taking highly insulinogenic BCAAs while actually performing exercise defeats the entire purpose of using BCAAs, which are:

1. To spike protein synthesis via leucine signaling
2. To improve performance via high ketogenic/gluconeogenic potential of BCAAs
3. To possibly reduce tryptophan delivery to the brain via the shared aromatic/branched chain amino acid transporter, resulting in decreased fatigue (sufficient plasma levels of BCAAs wouldn't be reached by drinking them throughout the workout)

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
There is literally not a single study on "intraworkout" supplementation (period)/BCAA use, and for good reason. Taking anything p.o. while exercising will result in a drop in absorption/delivery.

Conversely, every study of leucine/BCAAs showing positive effects of supplementation involved taking them preworkout for performance enhancement (gluconeo/ketogenesis) or taking them pre/post workout (for a threshold level of plasma concentrations of leucine to be reached (scaled HED: 0.045-0.065g/kg BW Leu)). Taking BCAAs during exercise/over the course of a workout inhibits both such effects.

Epinephrine acts as a block on insulin release during exercise, and taking highly insulinogenic BCAAs while actually performing exercise defeats the entire purpose of using BCAAs, which are:

3. To possibly reduce tryptophan delivery to the brain via the shared aromatic/branched chain amino acid transporter, resulting in decreased fatigue (sufficient plasma levels of BCAAs wouldn't be reached by drinking them throughout the workout)
Thank you.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
highly insulinogenic bcaas

i still lqtm every time you use that terminology

:kiss:

let's talk about highly insulinogenic dextrose within a workout..
or other things for that matter

you place this concept within a single context, and make no allowance for parameters being used (like length of training, or at what point within the training one is consuming bcaa/other nutrition etc)..

whatever my friend..i will continue to disagree with your logic here

but - you make it sound good anyway :p

Thank you.
your welcome

:rofl:

Awards
  • Established
I feel some hatred coming. I like AminoX blue razz. Mainstream BSN bla bla bla.. I like the taste :p

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll drop another plug for Compete; effective, mixes well, tastes great (particularly Tangerine), and with an excellent profile.
At the very least, try to obtain some samples, it is well worth it.
Compete gives me that endurance that allows me to go for long periods of time and the decreased DOMS is just awesome! And best of all, the flavor is unreal good!

Mike

Russianog

Russianog

Awards
So whats the verdict. BCAA supplementation is useless or useful, and if useful, when? Pre workout, post workout, etc...

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So whats the verdict. BCAA supplementation is useless or useful, and if useful, when? Pre workout, post workout, etc...
Not going to get a consensus. Too many conflicting opinions and too many variables for just general recommendations. As usual it depends. ;)

Russianog

Russianog

Awards
Yeah i figured, I just hope i'm not wasting my money on scivation.

AngryOldMan

Awards

So...what, if anything, do you recommend taking intra?

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
bcaa supplementation can be useful at any time, given the proper context and implementation

if you are speaking of the pre/intra/post timeframe only, then some generalities can be made:
bcaa preWO, is most optimal
bcaa postWO, again nice (altho there are other alternatives that i find more appealing - unless, you are consuming say a bcaa+small amount of dextrose immediately postWO, and then eating a full postWO meal ~30-60min later)
bcaa intraWO is still viable, despite what you may read otherwise..again, application is primary, and when within the workout you are consuming these will have more to do with effectiveness/efficacy, than simply drinking thruout session)

context..is..everything

So...what, if anything, do you recommend taking intra?
don't get angry, old man, but i will give my .02 here (not trying to step on coop's answer to you at all)..
electrolytes combined with proper mineral intake are probably your top items (and most generally overlooked) for true performance enhancement, all things being equal..surely other things can be useful, but this simply has no peer in performance dept

Russianog

Russianog

Awards
I do much prefer to drink regular cold water during workout. Nothing beats that.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i tend to drink them pre/intra/post. lately ive been adding karbolyn to post aminos.

Mack411

Mack411

Awards

VinceNC

Awards
thanks guys for the help. i ordered a tub of Compete to try.

BigEdNJ

Awards
You won't be disappointed. The lemon drop taste like crystal light