Question about 17 year old

dat dude

dat dude

Awards
  • Established
I have a friend who has a 17 year old son who plays football. He asked my opinion about supplements. His son is trying to add lean mass . He weighs around 174 pounds. His goal is to get his weight up to 185-190 by next football season. I told him at his son's age the best thing he could do was eat good and workout. He insisted that his son needed supplements. So I suggested a good protein powder and maybe BCAA's. Now he wants to add agmatine. Is that a good idea for a 17 year old? Do you guys and gals think I gave him good advice? Thanks

MrChocoLate

MrChocoLate

Awards
The best anabolic is food.But if he insists to take suplements a good protein and some bcaas can do the trick.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Creatine mono. Protein. A preworkout if he wants. That'll be his best options at 17.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Like the previous posters have said...the kid needs to learn how to eat and eat right before the other variables should be mixed in. Tell his Dad to supplement him with steak and potatoes 4 times a day and see where that gets him.

BigMikeC

BigMikeC

Awards
Not to beat a dead horse but supplements are primarily used because nobody has a perfect diet. How realistic is it for a 17 year old kid to get everything he needs through food? Most kids are lucky if they get breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Now that being said I'm not for stuffing a kid full of a bunch of supplements either. Theres just no point. At that age they have more testosterone and hgh running through system than they no what to do with. I would say that foundational products that help give him a balanced diet are key. Protien powders and bars to help him get the right "healthy" macros in. Multi-mineral/ multi-vitamin. Maybe a post work out drink with aminos/carbs/ and creatine like Postal to help their body repair and grow. Just my opinion.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Not to beat a dead horse but supplements are primarily used because nobody has a perfect diet. How realistic is it for a 17 year old kid to get everything he needs through food?
that's what we are advising to change.
just because, as you infer, it's "not realistic" does not mean we cannot attempt to change this..
is that not what we do here by advising xyz-supplement use?
food is another part of the puzzle of growth - and, as the undercurrent of your post suggests - is THE MOST critical part of progress.

why would you not want to rectify dietary transgressions at the youngest age possible?
:think:

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Supplements shouldn't be used at that age. It is entirely realistic for someone that age to get all they need from food. At that age he can better utilize the food, and any excess will be burned off or used in the building of muscle. Being that young, he has that advantage. Taking supplements would just be waste of money and possibly cause more harm then good to an adolescent. I'll give you all the supplements in my cabinet if you give me back the testosterone levels I had at 17 years old....Seriously if he is having trouble gaining mass at that age, all he has to do is eat more. Simple as that.

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
Not to beat a dead horse but supplements are primarily used because nobody has a perfect diet. How realistic is it for a 17 year old kid to get everything he needs through food? Most kids are lucky if they get breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Now that being said I'm not for stuffing a kid full of a bunch of supplements either. Theres just no point. At that age they have more testosterone and hgh running through system than they no what to do with. I would say that foundational products that help give him a balanced diet are key. Protien powders and bars to help him get the right "healthy" macros in. Multi-mineral/ multi-vitamin. Maybe a post work out drink with aminos/carbs/ and creatine like Postal to help their body repair and grow. Just my opinion.
very good point there and true. but the problem is that by doing that, youre teaching the kid to rely on supplement rather than manipulating his diet. i definately dont see the harm in protein or creatine though

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Creatine would really be as far as I would go at that age.

dat dude

dat dude

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the replies everybody. I'm glad I was kinda right lol. His father is insisting on his son using supplements so I will tell him to use protein powder and maybe BCAA's. He said his son tried creatine, but it made his stomach bloat and cramp. I'm not sure of the dosage or brand. This guy knows little about nutrition so it will be interesting to see what happens. I'm sure I'm not the only person he is asking to help him. Thanks again.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the replies everybody. I'm glad I was kinda right lol. His father is insisting on his son using supplements so I will tell him to use protein powder and maybe BCAA's. He said his son tried creatine, but it made his stomach bloat and cramp. I'm not sure of the dosage or brand. This guy knows little about nutrition so it will be interesting to see what happens. I'm sure I'm not the only person he is asking to help him. Thanks again.
If he cramped it was most likely from insufficient water intake.

Bloat is from taking too much creatine.

Cordeen

Awards
  • Established
And if the father insists on specific supplements and not willing to take advice....please stay away from anything that tampers with his hormones, whether natural or not. He's too young and in him prime.

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
And if the father insists on specific supplements and not willing to take advice....please stay away from anything that tampers with his hormones, whether natural or not. He's too young and in him prime.
yea definately this. dont elt the dude touch an ai lol. god forbid he mention a steroid

if you need to, just feed him bull****. tell him to play with arginine and throw in some broscience mumbojumbo. sommething like that

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All the more reason for him to learn this first!

Luke_PNI

Luke_PNI

Awards
Like most posters are saying, protein and creatine and maybe even bcaas are all i would do at this point. Obviously diet is going to be the biggest thing he could focus on but not all 17 year olds are going to be able to do a strict diet, so the protein powder would defiantly be something he could bring along with him to throw down quick in between breakfast and lunch at school and before training.