Natty boosters?

MaxFitTrainer

MaxFitTrainer

Awards
Hi,

Looking forward to being a member of A.M.

I thought I was pretty up on the latest supplements and such but today was the first time I had heard of "Natty" boosters (does natty stand for something?) As a female, I've always had more "loose" areas then tight. I've never shirked my exercise or watching what I eat and yet my body seems to stay basically the same. Years ago when I tried bodybuilding I walked away with bad knees (from excess squats with probably too heavy a weight) and high levels of creatine -> and going from a size 4 jean to a 6 in five weeks, which was not at all what I wanted. I've always thought that an excess of estrogen was part of the problem however I've always been too intimidated to try upping my testosterone levels.

I by no means want to look like a guy. That is not at all the level of fitness I want. More like a fitness or figure pro. But I'm seeing little to no results.

Can anyone give me a detailed explanation of some of these testosterone boosters and what I may experience (do not want it making me nuts in the head or causing me to rage out).

Also, if someone wouldn't mind sharing supplements (for women) that they feel are absolute requirements. In the past when I was trying to bodybuild, I did take creatine and glutamine but was getting bulkier *and* my doctor told me my creatine levels were high so I stopped taking everything and went back to just "normal" exercise and eating. Now I'm giving this another shot.

Many thanks,
MFT

"After a storm comes a calm." ~Ayn Rand
"If you're going through hell, keep going." ~Winston Churchill
"Either you run the day or the day runs you." ~Jim Rohn
"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice." ~Wayne Dyer
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." ~C. S. Lewis

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
natty means "natural", ive never heard of creatine levels being too high, there are supps to control and lower estrogen if thats your concern

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If your looking to target certain areas on your body to tighten up as you say. Look into SPP's Eviscerate or Eviscerate smolder. It's a topical fat loss product and would suggest it if that's what your looking for.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
natty means "natural", ive never heard of creatine levels being too high, there are supps to control and lower estrogen if thats your concern
Creatine can stress the kidneys. If your body doesn't metabolize it fast enough, then levels can rise causing kidney dysfunction and sometimes disease.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
mpaquett

mpaquett

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
How were you dosing your creatine? What does your diet look like? What does your split and work outs look like? I ask because there is always room for improvement.

I would suggest a solid multi like Orange Triad, and a good fish oil like Oximega to start.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Creatine can stress the kidneys. If your body doesn't metabolize it fast enough, then levels can rise causing kidney dysfunction and sometimes disease.
im aware of the stress factor just didn't know it could directly be tested

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Well keep in mind that while creatinine can place stress on the kidneys, high creatinine levels are used merely as a marker of kidney dysfunction (unless dealing with an absurd excess). So taking a lot of creatine at once can cause a "false positive" for kidney dysfunction

High creatinine levels are actually very normal in weight training populations and are usually indicative of a heavy workout

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
She means creatinine. You can't test creatine, but rather enzymatic activity (CK)

MaxFitTrainer

MaxFitTrainer

Awards
Thanks HVAC. I guess I'm hoping some of you will fill me in - if I need something to suppress estrogen or raise testosterone. The usual methods I'm using have produced no results. I want more overall muscularity.

MaxFitTrainer

MaxFitTrainer

Awards
Thank you Mr. C. That was what I meant. I got concerned when my doctor brought it up to me (how high the levels was) when I tried body building about 7 years ago, so I stopped. All that was happening was I was getting bigger. I actually gained about 10 lbs of muscle and had gone up an entire jean size. I know you guys want bigger but that is NOT what I want. I just can't seem to get enough of the jiggly stuff off (thank you thighs! lol)

MaxFitTrainer

MaxFitTrainer

Awards
MPaquett ....

I'd have to think back 7 years to remember how I was dosing the creatine. Knowing me, I was most likely taking it as suggested on the label - along with glutamine. I'm pretty sure it was either directly before or after a workout (or maybe even both).

As for my diet .... until this last week (when Hurricane Sandy struck) I was sticking to a pretty clean diet (and hating it, I'll admit). Most days I'd rather hang myself then eat any more chicken or eggs. I was (am?) still having some trouble not throwing in the occasional carb (unfortunately later in the day, although I try not to). It would be an orange or apple or banana. Sometimes I felt so depleted that I'd even have oatmeal (in the evening). The diet is the hardest for me. Just don't like the usual foods. I'm Italian. We like sweets. Most meals I'd rather go without regular food so I could have some pie lol. I don't do the pie but I feel extremely unsatisfied with what I am required to eat.

Note, I have been told my calorie intake is too low. But my weight loss completely stops if I eat the required amount of calories. Many times the weight loss stops even if I DO eat less calories. My body is beyond resistant to going below a certain weight/size.

As for my workout, I've added a day. I used to do 5 days a week with the following schedule: Mon/Wed/Fri weights. Tues/Thurs HIIT.

Now I've made it SIX days with cardio and abs everyday and then one main body part (today was chest with some calves). I do one session of 40 minutes on my most hated machine (stepmill). I was originally attempting to do TWO 40 minute sessions on the step (morning then again in the evening) but can barely tolerate one session. At the 20 minute mark I get off and do two sets of light weight front/back lunges and two sets pop squats and then finish my remaining 20 minutes. Then I start my weights. And yes, I do cardio first. I know most people say cardio should be last or separated by a day or do it in the morning and weights in the evening. In my reading, I've seen it said that if you are looking for muscle gains then weights should be done LAST rather than first as you are ending your workout using the muscle fibers you are looking to build (those being either endurance or strength). As a long time fitness instructor, endurance is NOT my problem.

As for supps, though I take a LOT, pretty much none of them are for muscle gain or leaning out (other than CLA). I do use whey protein but I have not added anything new to the regiment. I'm looking for the advice of you well-built folks to point me in a direction.

Thanks,
MFT

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
MPaquett ....

I'd have to think back 7 years to remember how I was dosing the creatine. Knowing me, I was most likely taking it as suggested on the label - along with glutamine. I'm pretty sure it was either directly before or after a workout (or maybe even both).

As for my diet .... until this last week (when Hurricane Sandy struck) I was sticking to a pretty clean diet (and hating it, I'll admit). Most days I'd rather hang myself then eat any more chicken or eggs. I was (am?) still having some trouble not throwing in the occasional carb (unfortunately later in the day, although I try not to). It would be an orange or apple or banana. Sometimes I felt so depleted that I'd even have oatmeal (in the evening). The diet is the hardest for me. Just don't like the usual foods. I'm Italian. We like sweets. Most meals I'd rather go without regular food so I could have some pie lol. I don't do the pie but I feel extremely unsatisfied with what I am required to eat.

Note, I have been told my calorie intake is too low. But my weight loss completely stops if I eat the required amount of calories. Many times the weight loss stops even if I DO eat less calories. My body is beyond resistant to going below a certain weight/size.

As for my workout, I've added a day. I used to do 5 days a week with the following schedule: Mon/Wed/Fri weights. Tues/Thurs HIIT.

Now I've made it SIX days with cardio and abs everyday and then one main body part (today was chest with some calves). I do one session of 40 minutes on my most hated machine (stepmill). I was originally attempting to do TWO 40 minute sessions on the step (morning then again in the evening) but can barely tolerate one session. At the 20 minute mark I get off and do two sets of light weight front/back lunges and two sets pop squats and then finish my remaining 20 minutes. Then I start my weights. And yes, I do cardio first. I know most people say cardio should be last or separated by a day or do it in the morning and weights in the evening. In my reading, I've seen it said that if you are looking for muscle gains then weights should be done LAST rather than first as you are ending your workout using the muscle fibers you are looking to build (those being either endurance or strength). As a long time fitness instructor, endurance is NOT my problem.

As for supps, though I take a LOT, pretty much none of them are for muscle gain or leaning out (other than CLA). I do use whey protein but I have not added anything new to the regiment. I'm looking for the advice of you well-built folks to point me in a direction.

Thanks,
MFT
I'll chime in here, firstly, welcome :D

Secondly, who told you your calorie intake was too low? And, if this is the case, how many calories do you require to maintain your weight? Females in particular should not drop calories too far into the negitive for long periods of time. What happens is that when calories are dropped to low (i.e. maybe something like 1500+ calories into the negitive) your physiological functions (i.e. kidney function, heart etc.) which need calories to function effectively try to restore energy balance by limiting (or outright stopping) any energy consuming physiological functions. In this case, survival of the individual becomes more important than survival of the species and so your reproductive capabilities can cease.

Further reading: Female Athlete Triad Syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will say that this is not overly common nor am I saying you are even at risk, but if your doctor has been saying you are too low, it is for good reason.

Straying away from supplements at this point, I do sincerly hope your everyday ab routine is in fact a 'core' routine and not just a million sit ups. Considering the core does more than move 'up and down', it also stabilizes, rotates and extends (note that sit ups gernally do not count in this regard). I would also advise against doing this everyday, like other body parts, the abdominal complex and core complex require rest and recovery. They are after all, just muscles.

I'll let someone else suggests the supplements haha

mpaquett

mpaquett

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Okay.. I've got a few things and this will be the easiest for me to say them.

1. Weight loss comes down to quantity not quality of food.
2. Do you track your macros? I have a feeling that you're under eating, which will hinder more than it will help.
3. Carbs are your friend. The body needs carbs. Make sure you're getting enough.
4. Abs are made in the kitchen and not the gym. They are also partly genetic. Training abs everyday will not give you the stomach that you want.
5. When are you hitting chest, back, arms, shoulders and etc? You only mentioned legs.
6. IMO CLA is garbage so save your money on that. What exactly are you taking?

MaxFitTrainer

MaxFitTrainer

Awards
First off, thanks MP. Appreciate the time and advice.

I'll answer in the order you asked.

1) Is it really quantity over quality? I thought quality was more important - specifically protein. My calories are probably between 1200 to 1500. When I eat *normally*, I'm at probably 2000 or so calories a day but I don't lose anything. I will often (ugh) gain. Ultimately, from all I've read, it seems simple. If you want to lose weight it is calories in versus calories out. So I reduce my calories. Then I plateau. Like now. I get to about a size 3 (which sounds small but I'm all thighs lol) and progress ceases. So I've decided it means that I have to work harder - more cardio for example. I have to push past that barrier - which is why I was asking about either natty boosters or estrogen blockers. Which do you think would work better? I'm determine this time to be have my best figure ever. It has been so difficult in the past that I just went back to my regular (tho still healthy) eating and exercise. I work very hard but my body is absolutely RESISTANT to change. I would wear myself out (and even started getting bad knees from all the exercise/squats/etc that I was doing 7 years ago when I tried body building.) Since I didn't want to NOT be able to exercise at all, I went back to a more normal schedule. I want to push past that this time.

2) Macros .... this is a somewhat new terminology for me. Do you mean fats/carbs/proteins? If so, then yes. And it seems that even though I've greatly increased my protein levels (carbs used to always win the day) there hasn't been significant improvement. I lost about 10 to 12 lbs since my photo (avatar shot) and it was ALL torso (the boob size took a hit lol). Only good thing is there is a lot more definition in my abs. Nothing worth talking about in my main weak area -> thighs.

3) Funny, I've been reading recently that carbs ARE not the enemy any more lol. Geesh, its so confusing. All you would hear is don't eat carbs, which is impossible. I stopped eating my favorite food (bread) but then I started eating more fruit and it seem fruit is the ENEMY TOO! Loaded with not only carbs but sugar. Is there anything you can eat?

4) Yes, I know abs are made in the kitchen but I've also read that the one muscle group you can train every day is abs. Mine are rarely if ever sore. So when I finish a set that I'm doing for that day's muscle group (yesterday, for example, was chest) I would do a chest exercise and take a 30 or so second break and do some quick crunches or v-ups. My abs are currently my strongest body part (better now than in my photo since I lost a few pounds.)

5) I def do legs. My new routine is hams one day, quads another, and calves on a different day. I generally do one specific muscle on a given day (main muscle group yesterday was chest with some calf work). Tues was hams and back. Thursday was quads and shoulders. This new workout - including a long session of cardio - is one that I'm following that a IFBB Figure Pro does. I figured it she got the shape she has doing this 6 day a week schedule I might see results following it.

6) Lol .... Another supplement (CLA) that people go back and forth on. So many people tell me CLA is absolutely imperative. My main supplements (which none of them at the moment - other than whey protein - are specific for what I'm trying to accomplish. I was hoping a few people would give me recommendations). I take coq10, CLA, GLA, Vit c and e, biotin, calcium and magnesium, resveratrol, coconut oil, fish oil, lutein, glutathione, pcygonel, and a few other minor things). As you will see, I have not yet incorporated creatine and the like into my routine as I'm not sure about the right stack. I do take some diet pills (Hydroxycut Max and Triadlean) but - truthfully - I don't know why I bother. They do ZIP for me. I am immune to caffeine. I can drink coffee or tea at midnight and be asleep at 12:05.

MFT

mpaquett

mpaquett

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
1. I'm not really a fan of you considering hormone manipulation (well as much as natty supps do). So I'm not going to recommend you any. Some of the more well versed guys in here can do that. I have no experience with females and these products. I will never suggest anyone to go under 1500 calories a day, especially when your doing cardio.

2. Quantity vs quality. You can eat nothing but chicken and broccoli, but if you are eating over your BMR then you will gain weight.

3. Everything you eat is either carbs, fats or a protein. Fruits are carbs.

4. I still wouldn't suggest doing abs more than 1-2 a week really. I might hit mine like 1-2 a month TBH.

5. If she's IFBB pro she's using other means of recovery and such. Just because it works for her doesn't mean it will work for you.

6. Drop all of those supplements. I wouldn't ever consider purchasing most that you listed. Use up whatever you have left and then go pick up/order some Orange Triad and Oximega fish oil.

Honestly it all comes down to the fact that you're a woman. Women store fat in a gynoid pattern (thighs, glutes & etc). Men on the other hand store fat in an android pattern which is mainly around the abdomen. There are exceptions, but for the most part it's just how your body wants to store fat due to gender.

This is more of the MAN-whore in me than the MAN rep, because I personally love Figure Fuel, but you might check out Figure Fuel. It's a BCAA product we carry that will help you preserve some muscle mass with as low as your calories are. It has LCLT in it, biotin (which you're already taking) and it also has beta-alanine which will help with endurance while training.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
doc brown...miss q....gokix ...are females on this forum who currently have logs/reviews of products they are using...might be a good i dea to look in the supplement review section and find their logs. they are all pretty cool and i am almost 100% positive they would be receptive to giving you advice!!!!

oh, i forgot rosie...the female terminator!!!!!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Would natty boosters even help women increase testosterone? (DAA specifically)

MaxFitTrainer

MaxFitTrainer

Awards
So should I continue to stay away from creatine?

Though I'm not sure of all the ingredients, I just purchased NO2 RED.

MaxFitTrainer

MaxFitTrainer

Awards
CLA....

no. :nono:
Hi Snag,

So fill me in on the problem with CLA. Why is this so controversial? Either people are telling me to take it - and do so in HIGH doses - or (like you) giving the impression its bad. Can you fill me in?

Thx :)

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
Hi Snag,

So fill me in on the problem with CLA. Why is this so controversial? Either people are telling me to take it - and do so in HIGH doses - or (like you) giving the impression its bad. Can you fill me in?

Thx :)
Clinical data has shown that it is worthless for fatloss.

Theres a 1 year long study in which daily dosing led to 1lb total weight loss.

Save your money and invest it in something more useful.

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

This is good advice. 1LB? Wow.... I lose that walking to my mailbox.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards

thanx snag! :blink:

exactly what he said.
it's not bad per se, as in unhealthy, but it really is a waste of $.
i know you've prolly seen these products that tout CLA and women who claim to have lost 50lbs or whatever..bullshiz.
if there was any weight loss at all, it was due to other components (like thermogenic) in the product and also of course with modified dietary intake.

this is what they call advertising.
it sells, but it doesn't make it true. ;)

hsk

Awards
  • Established
So should I continue to stay away from creatine?

Though I'm not sure of all the ingredients, I just purchased NO2 RED.
Hi and welcome to AM! With regards to creatine, I would recommend you find good brand of pure Creapure (german creatine) and try a stable daily dose that will keep your body at saturation or just slightly above without too much excess. For most people 2-2.5 grams daily is a safe effective dose that can be used long term without causing any excessive bloat or unwanted sides such as dehydration or stress on the kidneys. There are many ways to dose creatine and a common way is to load for the first week or two, but your body can only take up so much at any given time and any excess will probably sit out side the muscles and cause you to hold excess water and look bloated. If you just take 2.5 grams daily from the start, you will still reach saturation albeit much slower than if you were to load, but you would also minimize any bloat and sides from any excess and unused creatine. A good brand that sells a small size of pure bulk or capped Creapure would be Optimum Nutrition. You could try it out and see how that works for you.

Additionally, if you really do plan on getting back into training and supplementation on a more serious level, I recommend that you read up on supplements that interest you and try to find bulk powder or capped versions of single ingredients you'd like to try and try them separately while keeping notes for yourself on effects, side effects, dosing schemes that work for you. Once you know how they feel and effect you individually you can start to combine things for added benefits and synergies. Sometimes, you will find that supplements that may have a profound effect for others may not be as effective for you, and additionally when you do decide to try multi ingredient formulas, proprietary blends, or perhaps even your own custom bulk stack, you will know what ingredients will be contributing what to the party so to speak.

Whatever your goals, good luck!

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
Welcome!!! Will chime in more later (off to gym shortly) but just to clarify....you are looking for something to help you burn fat, build muscle, and give you some energy?? Have you checked out my log in the Sponsor section?? I have been using several Lecheek product's to help me retain/build muscle and burn fat. Check it out if you'd like. The link is my signature.

Could you post your diet for the day?? Curious what your eating and when.....might help out a bit!!

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards

I have read where it might help lower cortisol levels???