Supplementation during physical exercise and BCAA's

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by John Smeton View Post
    Bcaa's help a ton with recovery. Layne Norton has some good stuff on bcaa's as he did his phd in them. Furthermore, read the book "championship bodybuilding" by Chris Aceto and there are numerous studies showing how athletes benefit from bcaa's

I can tell you from experience as I have taken up to 400 grams a protein a day without bcaa's, which was probally overkill, esp since I was natty at the time and have been bodybuilding for over ten years when I take in bcaa's I keep more muscle. yes pre and post are good times to take, intra is very good, in my opinion, because your tearing muscle down, and it keeps bcaa's in a constant state. I use them when i get up at night, one before breakfast, pre, intra, post and between meals-I have been taking bcaa's for two years now.

they are esp beneficial when on a big caloric deficit like getting ready for a show
    Aren't protein, or at least certain types like whey naturally rich in BCAA's on their own? At least that's what it says on the tube of my Micro Whey (Reflex) or there's more to that?

I used to sip on BCAA's intra but became slightly worried about the amount of sweeteners and other additives that I choke on throughout the day from other products so I started this thread and stopped taking it intra. I'm saying this honestly now, one thing I've noticed straight away is a decrease in performance. Sessions were getting longer, pumps dropped and sometimes I felt like I'm going to throw the towel it's so frustrating. Now I would like someone to explain to me why this happened. Is it because of all the extra energy from sugary things in the product that I was being able to push harder and better? I used Scivation Xtend if that's of any help and normally I would have a protein shake half an hour before my session, sip on Scivation throughout and have a Creapure and After glow (Biorhythm) afterwards, followed by a meal when I get home about an hour later or so.
    Regards,
    --
    Feliks

2. Quote Originally Posted by Felixo

Aren't protein, or at least certain types like whey naturally rich in BCAA's on their own? At least that's what it says on the tube of my Micro Whey (Reflex) or there's more to that?

I used to sip on BCAA's intra but became slightly worried about the amount of sweeteners and other additives that I choke on throughout the day from other products so I started this thread and stopped taking it intra. I'm saying this honestly now, one thing I've noticed straight away is a decrease in performance. Sessions were getting longer, pumps dropped and sometimes I felt like I'm going to throw the towel it's so frustrating. Now I would like someone to explain to me why this happened. Is it because of all the extra energy from sugary things in the product that I was being able to push harder and better? I used Scivation Xtend if that's of any help and normally I would have a protein shake half an hour before my session, sip on Scivation throughout and have a Creapure and After glow (Biorhythm) afterwards, followed by a meal when I get home about an hour later or so.
    To my knowledge there is nothing with sugar or any other calories in modern bcaa except for the actual bcaas
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by uvawahoowa View Post
    To my knowledge there is nothing with sugar or any other calories in modern bcaa except for the actual bcaas
    I was referring to Scivation Xtend which I've been using at the time. I have no previous experience with modern bcaa yet.
    Regards,
    --
    Feliks

4. Thanks strat. Very informative info.

5. Can I get a tldr on the article?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Felixo View Post

of course proteins have bcaa's in them. the three amino acids that stimulate muscle growth are bcaa's luecine isoluecine and valine, bcaa's are isolated versions where you dont have to take in the other aminos and also keeping calories, and protein grams lower.

I have no explanation what happened to you. I can only vouch for myself in saying bcaa's have helped me dramatically.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness

7. Good stuff in here might want to check out protocol which we already have endurance racers that do spartan races, tough mudders, ragnars and triathlons sip while racing. But also military peeps deployed and back home while doing 12+ mile ruck marches
    Hybrid Performance Nutrition
    GetHybrid.net
    U.S. ARMY MP(CID)

8. I usually use them pre and post in single doses. Sometimes ill drink some carbs during a long 3 hr ME session tho when I know things will get tough. I use to drink them during but after reading coopers posts I changed it. Im a competitive pler, idk if that changes my needs tho lol

9. If ur bcaa sup has citrilliline I would take it preworkout. To be effective bcaa totals grams per day need to be higher than ppl may think.

10. Quote Originally Posted by wrathchild281
    If ur bcaa sup has citrilliline I would take it preworkout. To be effective bcaa totals grams per day need to be higher than ppl may think.
    What would be the optimal intake?
    Regards,
    --
    Feliks
    •   

11. Quote Originally Posted by John Smeton

of course proteins have bcaa's in them. the three amino acids that stimulate muscle growth are bcaa's luecine isoluecine and valine, bcaa's are isolated versions where you dont have to take in the other aminos and also keeping calories, and protein grams lower.

I have no explanation what happened to you. I can only vouch for myself in saying bcaa's have helped me dramatically.
    Strange, I know. Perhaps I hit the plateau. However, would it be ok to take bcaa on top of whatever amount there's in protein shakes or would it be an overkill?
    Regards,
    --
    Feliks

12. Quote Originally Posted by John Smeton

Maybe it coincidental and I just hit the plateau, don't know. Anyway, is it ok to add some bcaa's on top of whatever one can get from protein shakes or would it be an overkill John? How do you dose yours and when do you take it?
    Regards,
    --
    Feliks

13. Are you insulin resistant?

14. Quote Originally Posted by Felixo View Post
    Maybe it coincidental and I just hit the plateau, don't know. Anyway, is it ok to add some bcaa's on top of whatever one can get from protein shakes or would it be an overkill John? How do you dose yours and when do you take it?
    Hey no issues at all. To be beneficial to a wothehile degree u need more than the 5 grams ur common whey shake will offer.
  15. Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Felixo View Post
    What would be the optimal intake?
    So studies shown that leucine in 10g dose preworkout had significant benefits with workout intensity/energy and recovery. Most bcaa supps has the 3 main aminos combined with typical total ranges in 7 to 10 grams. I believe 20 grams total per day is the beginning of the optimal doses. That's including the bcaas in most common whey shakes. So in easy terms 2 to 3 servings from a combo bcaa supp. I take for example 2 servings of xtend in a gallon jug refrigerated an use it o pour into my cups or smaller bottles and sip throughout day with intentions to drink one gallon of bcaa mix. In addition I take one other straight serving one hour pre workout for the added benefits of citrilline. 2 grams arginine and my stim preworkout supp has some beta alinine. This is a staple for my regiment and It never seems to fail. Diet and plenty hydration is also just as important for pumps and vascularity. Sorry off topic just throwing some personal recommendations out there.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Felixo View Post
    I would separate them from whole foods and shakes

I dose mine one scoop open awaking , in between meals -esp when Im cutting hard , on anabolics I use them more bc protein synthesis is much higher due to nitrogen retenion, pre intra and post workouts all the time, and if I get up at night two scoops

17. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69
    Are you insulin resistant?
    Not that I'm aware of.
    Regards,
    --
    Feliks

Similar Forum Threads

1. Supplements for post surgery and recovery
    By prld2gr8ns in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-02-2006, 05:09 AM
  2. supplements during Superdrol cycle....
    By majician in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 01:55 AM
  3. Bending Knees During Calf Exercises
    By Rock Lee in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 10:47 PM